- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Jealousy isn't pretty...
Gibbs was scowling. If he had been holding his usual coffee cup he’d have squeezed it flat, the hot brew scalding his hand, staining his pants and " no doubt - the floor of the elevator. He pulled in a deep breath and held it, closing his eyes briefly before leaning back against the wall and absently watching the numbers rise.

Without warning " he reached out and snapped the stop switch " swearing out loud as he did so before slapping the back of his own head " hard. “You’re a shit, Gibbs!” he cursed. “A shit!” Last night came flooding back " in every tiny detail and he swore out loud. “Second b is for bastard " and boy oh boy were you the bastard! Fuck!”

Last night had started pleasantly enough " Tony cross legged in front of the television putting away the DVDs from the evening before while Gibbs was in the kitchen preparing dinner. DVDs safely stored, Tony had joined him and spent the next ten minutes trying to persuade his lover that dinner could wait " after all, he was feeling horny and the sight of the silver haired man in a loose t-shirt and cargo shorts together with bare feet was sending him skyward " he had an itch and needed Gibbs to scratch it. Several times. Please. Now?

Gibbs shook his head, laughing as he did so and collected up a loaf of bread, tossing it to Tony. “Get slicing.”

Some playful banter then ensued, Tony threatening to eat dinner naked which " by his reasoning " would save on time and they could get down and dirty right there on the living room floor. Gibbs threw down the cloth in his hands " ready with a repost when the phone rang.

And that’s when the proverbial shit hit the fan " when Gibbs soon found himself staring slack jawed at the front door, grimacing at the sound of squealing tyres as a seriously pissed off Tony stormed out of the house, started his car and headed off into the night.

He immediately tried calling Tony’s cell " only to find it went straight to answer. He thought about leaving a message and decided now may not be the time " he’d try again later. Maybe in an hour or so " maybe in a half hour. Five minutes later, he hit speed dial again and waited.

“Tony,” he said quietly, staring around the living room. “I’m sorry. It’s just " “ He lowered the phone from his ear, his thumb hovering over the off button. Just what was he sorry about? The caller had been Stan Burley. The guy was in town and wanted to meet up " and what was wrong with an old team member wanting to catch up with his boss? Hell, it had been nearly 18 months since they’d last caught up " and even then that couldn’t be construed as a meet up " they’d ended up working a case onboard the Eisenhower.

* * * *

Gibbs silently cursed himself. He’d done it again hadn’t he? Extolling the virtues of a past team member. Stan this and Stan that, praising the man to the skies as he and Tony settled down to eat. And if he thought about it, he should have realised when Tony slammed his glass onto the counter a little too hard and sending a shower of water over their plates that then might have been a good time to actually shut up and concentrate on something else. But he continued " regaling his young lover with more stories until Tony tossed his fork onto his plate.

“Did you fuck him?” he demanded, his eyes narrowed and jaw set.

“Excuse me?” Gibbs lowered his own laden fork and stared at Tony.

“Did you fuck Burley? Did he warm your bed before me? Huh?” Tony glared back at him.

“What?” Disbelief all over the older man’s face. “No.”

“You’re lying,” Tony spat. “The way you talk about him, makes me wonder if you two weren’t more than just team mates.”

“Hey!” Gibbs shot back. “Enough, DiNozzo!”

“Yeah!” Tony ground out between clenched teeth. “Enough " you’re so fucking fond of him why don’t you call him back right now. You got one empty bed upstairs " I’m sure he’ll be only too fucking happy to join you!”

“What the hell’s got into you?” Gibbs was on his feet, rising level with Tony.

“Me?” Tony laughed. “Me? How many others you bedded? Huh? Huh?”

“Okay,” Gibbs held up both hands, palms outward. “That is *enough*, Tony.”

“And there’s the freakin’ nerve I was poking around for.” Tony stepped back, the stool behind him falling to the floor. “Hope you’ll both be very happy " I’m outta here.”

“Tony!” Gibbs called to his retreating back.

“Don’t bother,” Tony yelled. “Obviously I was just a stop gap.”

“Tony " for crying out loud " “

There was no reply as the front door slammed shut, leaving Gibbs stunned into silence.

* * * *

Gibbs sighed, glancing down at the phone still in his hand. Damn you, Tony! He hit the speed dial again, lifting the phone to his ear.

“Tony,” he began again. “I " call me. Please.”

Stuffing the cell into the pocket of his shorts, he made light work of clearing up in the kitchen " pausing occasionally at the sound of a car passing " hoping it might be Tony but knowing deep down it wouldn’t be and as he trotted down the basement steps to begin work on the boat, he tugged it out once and checked for messages " only to find no texts or answer phone. He checked the cell for a final time, dropping it onto the workbench as he poured himself a stiff bourbon. “You know the number, Tony,” he murmured. “Use it. Man, he’s going to be a bitch to work with tomorrow.”

* * * *

Pulling his thoughts back to the present, the elevator doors pinged and he straightened up, taking a step forward and walking straight into Tony.

“Um " “ he mumbled. “Sorry.”

“I’ll take the " stairs.” Tony gestured upward with a thumb and shifted his back pack higher onto his shoulder.

“I’m getting out here, DiNozzo.” Gibbs said softly, tilting his head. Was it his imagination or did Tony really look like he’d been " he’d been " crying? He threw a glance towards the forensic lab and then looked back at Tony who had sidled past him into the elevator only to see the younger man tug the shades out of the front of his shirt and slip them on. Gibbs took a quick look over Tony’s shoulder to see Abby ducking back into her lab, concern written all over her face.

“Something bothering you?” Tony asked petulantly.

“No wonder I couldn’t find you.” Gibbs remarked lightly. “Abs obviously kept you busy all day.” Tony had been noticeable by his absence " although it didn’t take long until McGee announced to the bullpen that Tony seemed a little " on edge. When pressed, Tim could give no more details except that when he’d entered the lab, both Abby and Tony had clammed up, moving to Abby’s office where Tony sat at her desk with his head in his hands while she clucked over him like a mother hen.

“You think I’ve been avoiding you, Boss?” Tony snapped accusingly, sniffing softly.

“No, Tony. I didn’t say that.”

“But you were thinking it,” Tony shot back. “And don’t flatter yourself, I had a legitimate reason being down here today.”

“I’m sure you did,” Gibbs nodded. “Look, about last night " “

“Like I said, I’m taking the stairs and that report you wanted will be on your desk in ten minutes and then " I’m outta here.”

“DiNozzo, I said " “ Then, realising maybe action and not words would better demonstrate his intent, Gibbs reached out and grabbed Tony’s arm and pulling him into the elevator. “Stand there, shut the hell up and let me talk.”

“About what?” Tony stared straight ahead, only too well aware of Gibbs watching him closely. “You did enough of that last night " and I’m sure you and *Stan* have plenty to talk about now don’t you? Huh?”

Growling, Gibbs turned and flipped the off switch. “Okay,” he hissed. “I have had just about enough of this.”

“Here we go,” Tony pouted, folding his arms across his chest.

“Don’t fucking start, Tony.” Gibbs warned. “I’m going to keep this simple " I’ll use simple words so I can penetrate your skull and make you see things from my point of view.”

“You mean you tell me what you want me to hear and then you think I’ll be back round your place " “ Tony pursed his lips, his eyes still facing forward.

“You’re jealous of Stan.”

“Am not!”

“Are, Tony. You damn well are.”

“Why should I be jealous of him?”

“If you’re not jealous, then why in hell are we having this conversation? Want to enlighten me?”

Tony said nothing, he pushed his shades to the bridge of his nose and sighed.

“Fine.” Gibbs lifted his hands and let them drop. “You’re not going to listen " so instead " maybe this’ll work."

“Don’t touch me,” Tony growled.

Ignoring that last comment, Gibbs stood in front of Tony and lifted a hand, wrapping it around the back of his lover’s neck and pulling him in for a light, tentative kiss. Tony’s whole body stiffened, his mouth remained closed despite Gibbs’ lapping his lower lip and nipping it gently before releasing it. “I’m sorry for last night and I will never mention Stan again.”

“Liar.” Tony dropped his gaze to his feet, if only to avoid the steely blue gaze.

“I won’t,” Gibbs assured him, as he took Tony’s left hand in his. “But " “

“Crying out loud, Gibbs! There’s always a but with you, isn’t there? Always a freakin’ but!”

“Fine,” Gibbs relented. “No but, no nothing " just " this - !”

He captured Tony’s mouth again, smiling around the kiss as he sensed the younger man was slowly beginning to relax and the smile broadened as one of Tony’s arms slid around his waist as the other began heading south, the hand resting on Gibb’s left butt cheek. Tongues warred and Tony moaned softly into Gibbs’ mouth as the kiss intensified.

“That answer all your questions?” Gibbs breathed, resting his forehead against Tony’s and rocking his head back and fore.

“Might have.” Tony whispered.

They kissed again, only too well aware that the elevator would soon be *missed* before stepping apart, and straightening rumpled jackets and hair. “So we’re all square again?”

“I’m sorry, Boss.”

“Uh-huh?”

“I " I am jealous of Stan " the way you were with him on board ship " it was " and I did it all wrong storming out like I did yesterday - “

“Tony,” Gibbs held up a hand. “Tonight, we have a lot of *apologising* to get through " and my place is now officially a *Stan Burley free zone* and for the record " I’m meeting him for one drink on Thursday night at The Legal Eagle " he’s got a flight at midnight headed for Hawaii. And just so you know " “

“You never bedded him.”

“No.” Gibbs chuckled. “I just wanted to say that " as much as I adore the petulant brat act occasionally " “

“Me?” Tony gaped. “Petulant?”

“Like a twelve year old on the verge of puberty.” Gibbs affirmed.

“Am not!”

Gibbs said nothing, he merely winked.

“Was that me being " ?”

Gibbs nodded.

“Understood, Boss.”

“Until next time, Tony. Only until next time.”