- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Who will catch DiNozzo when he falls?
Chapter Thirty-One

Gibbs headed out of the interrogation room fast and headed upstairs, once he got there he didn’t stop to explain just half shouted at McGee. “Look up everything you can find on Jonathon Kamisnski, I want it all now. His bank details, everything, get the warrant later, just do it now!”

McGee knew enough about Gibbs to know not to question him so set about searching for any information he could find on the man in question. He knew that it must have something to do with Tony and his attacker who was still in interrogation, but decided to keep quiet and just do what he did best.

Gibbs had left Ziva downstairs to deal with Petty Officer Woodman’s transfer to a secure facility where he would stay until his trial, though he may be moved to a secure rehabilitation program before then, but that was unlikely given the severity of his charge. He had done his job, kept his promise and interviewed the suspect so he could return to the hospital if he wished and stay by Tony’s side until they caught Kamisnski and needed to question him and that could take a while seeing as they knew nothing about him.

“What are you getting, McGee?” Gibbs asked, realising he’d only given his agent no more than five minutes to find something on the man, but he knew McGee was that good.

“Not much so far, boss. He’s a Lieutenant Commander based at Norfolk, been on shore leave for about a month. I’m trying to find out who his CO is so we have somewhere to start,” McGee said.

“Kamisnski? That’s not a common name, is it?” Gibbs asked.

“No, he’s a third generation immigrant, his grandparents moved here from Poland during the second world war,” McGee explained.

“What about his service record?”

“Well, he’s done three tours in Iraq, been back on US soil for the past three months, did some work at Norfolk before going on shore leave a month ago. I’ll try to track down some of his friends, see if they know where he’s gone and where to find him. You want us to bring him in?”

“Of course. Take Ziva with you, I’ll be at the hospital with Tony. Call me there when you find something. Get a warrant for his bank details and everything, he must have some connections to have ordered the hit on Tony. I want to know if he’s at the top of the chain or if he was ordered by someone else, and if he was, who that someone else is and I want to know yesterday!” Gibbs told him, before grabbing his coat and heading to the elevator.

He drove at his normal speed to Bethesda and arrived in a matter of minutes - having ignored most of the traffic signals on the way, that didn’t surprise him. It made him glad he was a Federal Agent because if he ever got caught speeding, which he hadn’t ever before, he could claim it was something job related and the local cops would probably let him off with a warning. Though, right then, he had a lot more on his mind to worry him than what the local cops might do to him if they caught him driving in his usual state.

It took more than a few minutes for the elevator to arrive and for a while Gibbs debated taking the stairs to the third floor, but just as he was about to do so, the elevator arrived and he took it to the third floor. The ICU was quiet, which for some reason, calmed him. Maybe because the quietness meant that no one was coding and that meant that all was well with Tony. He made his way to Tony’s room and once there, took his usual spot at Tony’s bedside.

He cursed himself under his breath when he realised that he had forgotten to get himself some coffee from the cafeteria and didn’t want to leave Tony now that he was finally back here to do it then. One of the nurses must have noticed his arrival because she appeared at the door with a steaming hot cup of their coffee and handed it to Gibbs.

“Dr. Foster asked us to page him when you arrived, he wanted to talk about Tony’s condition with you both,” she explained.

“Why didn’t he talk to Tony? Is there a problem?” Gibbs asked, his worry level rising.

“No problem, I think he just wanted you here when he spoke to Tony about it so that if he had any questions or needing calming down there was someone here to do it,” the nurse told him and he breathed a sigh of relief.

“Tell him I’ll be here for a fair few hours yet, so when he wants to talk, I’m ready.” The nurse nodded at him and left him alone with Tony who was still sleeping off the effects of the anesthesia.

Gibbs rubbed his thumb in small circles on the back of Tony’s hand to let him know that he was there. He didn’t want to wake the man, but at the same time he wanted him awake for when Dr. Foster arrived to talk to them. He decided to let him sleep until the doctor arrived in the ICU.

It didn’t take long for Dr. Foster to appear, he headed straight for Tony’s room and smiled at Gibbs, who was taking a sip for his coffee - it was from the nurses’ supply so it was decent stuff at least. “I’ll just wake him and then we can discuss whatever it is you wanted to discuss,” Gibbs said, putting down his coffee on the table next to him.

“I’d like to run another EKG, so I’ll wait until he’s awake, otherwise he’ll move and the results will be off,” Dr. Foster replied.

Gibbs nodded and shook Tony’s good shoulder gently. “Tony, it’s time to get up. Come on, DiNozzo, time to show me those green eyes.”

Tony grunted, but obeyed the voice he could hear and opened his eyes. He saw Gibbs staring back at him and smiled a little. His chest was sore where they’d opened him up, but he could cope with a little pain so long as Gibbs was there.

“I thought you left?” Tony said.

“I did, but I’m back now,” Gibbs replied, giving Tony one of his rare smiles.

“Did you catch him?” Tony asked, trying to sit up, but he stopped when he realised he had stitches in his chest that hurt more when he moved. Gibbs reached for the bed controller and moved the head of the bed up so Tony was sitting.

“We did, there’s more I need to tell you, but first Dr. Foster wants to run an EKG and talk with us, so it’ll have to wait,” Gibbs explained. Tony nodded and the doctor began placing the probes on Tony’s chest. They all waited until the test was done and Dr. Foster tore off a strip of paper and studied it before turning to look at the two men.

“These results are promising, I’ll have to have the cardiologist have a look at them, but right now I don’t see any problems. Now, Tony, I wanted to discuss your prognosis now that the internal pacemaker is in place, I figured you’d be happier to discuss it with Agent Gibbs present, is that correct?” Dr. Foster asked.

Tony nodded. Gibbs took hold of his hand and gave it a little squeeze, whatever the doctor had to say, they would get through this together - as a team, as a family and as a couple.

“Your surgery went very well and you’re already showing improvement on the EKG, so that means that we got correct placement and everything and you shouldn’t have any more problems with your heart. I’ll arrange for the cardiologist to come and see you and answer any questions you might have,” the doctor said.

“Okay, is that all?” Tony asked, desperate to hear what Gibbs had to say.

“I also wanted to let you know that your kidney function has improved enough that we can discontinue the dialysis, we’ll leave the catheter in your carotid artery for few more days in case of an emergency, but I don’t see any reason why you can’t continue to have normal, functioning kidneys. You’ll have to continue on the liver medication as that is still showing signs of being damaged, but it has brought up your liver function tests - which is another good sign.”

“Thank you, doctor,” Gibbs said, shaking his outstretched hand. “When do you think he can be moved to a private room?”

“Sometime this afternoon, I should think. I’ve told the nurses that we’re planning to move you and the hospital is trying to find you a bed in an appropriate wing - it’ll be private of course because of the attack you suffered and the overdose. You’ve still got a long recovery ahead of you, but once you’re cleared by our psychiatrist, I see no reason why you can’t be discharged.”

“Will you still be his main physician once he’s off the ICU?” Gibbs asked, not wanting to have to get to know yet another doctor.

“I’ll be his primary physician until he’s discharged, don’t worry, Tony, I’ll see you through to the end.”

“Thanks for all you’ve done for Tony, I really appreciate it,” Gibbs told the man.

“Not a problem, just doing my job,” Dr. Foster replied before turning and leaving them alone.