- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Who will catch DiNozzo when he falls?
Chapter Thirty-Three

With the Marine situated outside Tony’s ICU room and with Tony being moved to a private room in a couple of hours, Gibbs left the hospital to go and see how his team were doing in tracking down Kamisnski. Tony had calmed down whilst they had been waiting for the Marine to arrive so he felt okay with leaving him. Dr. Foster had told him Tony would be moved to room 457 when the room was ready and Tony had had one final EKG to check his heart function hadn’t declined.

He drove at his usual speed to the Navy Yard and took the elevator up to the bullpen where he found McGee and Ziva working away at tracking down the man behind Tony’s attack.

“Do we have anything?” Gibbs asked, surprising them both, as they hadn’t heard him come in.

“We got his bank details, boss,” McGee said, recovering first. “He’s had some pretty big amounts of money paid in at various times over the past two years, and we traced a payment of $10,000 to a known drug dealer, which is obviously where he got the heroin to pay Petty Officer Woodman.”

“Tony has been building a file on the guy since his days at Baltimore P.D., we think that was why he was targeted, he said that every time he got close to arresting the guy, someone else would confess to crime and the case would be closed. I want you to look at his computer to see if you can find the file so we have all the information on this guy. I want him to go down for this, not slip away like he has all those times before,” Gibbs told McGee. He nodded and got up from his desk and headed over to Tony’s where he booted up the computer and began searching.

“Ziva, what do you have for me?” Gibbs asked, turning to face Officer David.

“Why did Tony keep a file on a man and not tell you?” Ziva asked, sounding curious.

“That’s between me and Tony. Now, tell me what you got,” Gibbs replied.

Ziva raised an eyebrow and said nothing more on the subject. “I have been trying to talk to Kamisnski’s CO, so far I am getting brick-walled.”

“You mean, stone-walled,” McGee corrected.

“Whatever, it is like trying to get blood out of a rock,” Ziva said, exasperated.

“Blood out of a stone,” McGee said, from across the room.

“Do you not have more important things to do than correct my English?” Ziva asked, her eyes narrow.

“No, I do, it’s just Tony usually does that and…”

“Tony is not here.”

“I know, but…”

“But, nothing, do your own work and leave my idioms alone!”

“Enough, the both of you!” Gibbs ordered. “Get back to work or I’ll headslap the pair of you into next week.”

“Yes, boss,” McGee replied, turning back his concentration onto Tony’s machine and where he might have hidden the file on Kamisnski.

He actually found it purely by luck rather than skill. It was in a hidden directory labeled “Playboy images”. Inside was all the information Tony had gathered on the elusive Jonathon Kamisnski since his days at Baltimore P.D. He pressed the print button as well as putting it up on the plasma so that they could all see it.

“Tony’s got a lot of information here, his hang outs, his aliases, people he usually associates with. We should probably check some of these out as well as tracking these people down to see if they’ve seen him,” McGee said.

“Ya think, McGee?” Gibbs said, sarcastically.

“I’ll get on it now,” McGee said, heading back to his own computer and starting to search for some of the people on the list, as well as phoning Agent Lee in Legal to get them warrants for all the places listed.

Thirty minutes later, McGee, Gibbs and Ziva were outside a warehouse that Kamisnski used to store anything he saw fit to store there, they weren’t particularly sure - Tony’s notes hadn’t detailed what was in the warehouse, but whatever it was, it was bound to be illegal and if Kamisnski was in there, it would give them the chance to take him down and put him in Levenworth where he belonged.

Gibbs motioned for McGee to check round the back for any exits and cover those, whilst he and Ziva went in the front. He put up his hand and counted down from three with his fingers and then they burst through the door.

“NCIS Federal Agents! Put down your tools and put your hands up,” they shouted as they entered. McGee came in through the back and stopped two people from getting out that way. The occupants of the warehouse all complied with the search of the property and their selves. Kamisnski wasn’t present and so far, no one was giving up his location.

It looked like they had Kamisnski for illegal trading too, as one of the occupants was unpacking what looked like counterfeit DVD’s and another was sewing fashion labels onto clothes and handbags. It was a simple operation that would need lots of space, which would explain the other five warehouses that Tony had listed in his file. It was also something he could get away with doing whilst having an active military career as it wouldn’t have needed him to be there whilst his employees did all the work. The Navy certainly wouldn’t question his extra income; to them he was a hero who had fought for his country in Iraq, on more than one occasion.

Gibbs went outside to call for transport for the people they’d arrested, whilst McGee and Ziva kept watch on their prisoners. Once they were all shipped away and headed to be kept in custody and questioned, Gibbs let out his anger.

“This is a waste of our time, we’ve got five other warehouses, just like this one to search and what are the chance of Kamisnski being in any of them? Close to zero. I want that bastard, I want him today,” Gibbs snapped. McGee and Ziva said nothing, just got in the car as they headed to their next location.

They got lucky at the fourth warehouse - an occupant who didn’t want to be arrested with the others told them that Kamisnski had been doing his rounds today and would be at the fifth warehouse and that if they hurried, they might very well catch up to him.

Gibbs drove faster than usual as they headed to the last warehouse on the list they procured from Tony’s computer and as luck would have it, Kamisnski was still there. Gibbs grabbed him by the arms, slammed him against the wall, shoved the warrant for his arrest in his face and handcuffed him using very tight handcuffs.

“What is the charge?” Kamisnski demanded as he was being led away.

“Paying for the attack and rape of a Federal Agent,” Gibbs spat, shoving him in the back of his car with McGee on one side and Ziva the other.

“I know nothing about the rape of a Federal Agent,” he said, keeping his calm.

“Well, our source says you do.”

“I demand to know the source.”

“You keep on demanding. I’m not giving you anything.”

“My lawyers will have me out by the end of the day,” Kamisnski said, proudly.

“Is that so? We’ll see about that. You paid for the attack and rape of a Federal Agent, the Judge won’t look too kindly on you for that. Add to that the fact that you’ve been running several illegal operations whilst serving in Iraq, they’ll take all of that into consideration. You won’t see the light of day again.”

“You can’t charge me for having employees that do something illegal while I’m out fighting for my country in Iraq.”

“Watch me.”

Kamisnski was silent the rest of the way to NCIS, obviously he had thought that $10,000 worth of heroin would buy silence, but he was wrong and knowing him from what they’d read from Tony’s file, they were right to put Woodman in seclusion, otherwise they would have lost their number one witness.