- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own the characters, they belong to the big guns of CBS and Belisarius. I am foster mother to Anya, however as said big guns killed her mother. *cries* Just something I thought up of after the S.3 ep "Family Secrets" when Gibbs brings in dinner for Jen, etc. I thought it a sad reflection on Tony's loss.
Author's Chapter Notes:
"Why are you crying, Uncle Tony?" She asked, her worried eyes boring into his.

"Because Angels never break their promises."
Tony glared at the retreating pair that was Gibbs and Director Shepherd. "Can't I talk to my old partner in private?" The Director's words echoed in Tony's mind. She'd said it playfully to Gibbs, but it tore Tony apart.

Thankfully, Gibbs had let the team go early. It was a Friday night - McGee had gone down to Abby's lab while Ziva had packed up and headed to the elevator.

Tony remained in his seat. There were few people left on the level and the sounds of the computers were decreasing. Tony rubbed his eyes and leant over his desk, propping his chin on his fist. He looked over to the desk opposite his - Kate's desk. Ziva had been with them for over a year now, but he still considered it Kate's desk.

She was his partner after all. He never got the chance to actually tell her that, but he hoped to god that she knew.

"I did, don't worry." Tony wasn't surprised when he saw Kate materialise in front of him, mirroring his position.

"Really?" he managed to ask.

"Really. Tony, we connected. I know you find it difficult to cope now-"

"Do not." Tony interrupted.

"Do too."

"Do not."

"Do to- Shut up, Tony!" Kate smiled. She stood up and Tony saw she was no longer wearing her Catholic-school-girl clothes, but a black skirt and white, frilly blouse. Kate looked down at herself.

"Wow, you even have good taste in women's clothes."

"It was my favourite outfit on you, believe it or not."

He chuckled, but sobered when he realised the bullet hole in her forehead had appeared.

"I wish you didn't go the way you did."

Kate tipped her head to the side as she stepped closer to Tony's desk. Tony continued.

"I wish you didn't go, period. How's that going for you, by the way?" He smirked. It took Kate a moment to realise what he'd meant and she squinted at him.

"That's gross, DiNozzo." But she smiled.

"I wanted to grow old with you, so to speak. I wanted-" His voice faltered, but the smile on Kate's lips encouraged him. "I wanted to be at your wedding. I wanted to teach the mini-Kates practical jokes. I wanted to be 'Uncle Tony'." He was shocked to feel a tear stinging his eye, and he quickly rubbed it away with his hand.

"Tony, you still will." Kate sat on the corner of the desk. Tony looked at her, his brows furrowed. She leaned down and spoke softly. "I promise you will see those things. And-"

She slid off the desk and knelt beside Tony. "I'll watch you get married one day, and you know what, Tony? I'll watch over the tiny-Tonys."

Tony cried out a sob as his chest tightened.

"I really miss you, Kate." he whispered, his breathe catching in his throat. He looked away from her, a tear falling into his lap. He looked up.

She had disappeared.

Tony heaved a sigh and sat quietly. He stood up and rubbed his eyes, his face raw and red from the emotion. He packed up his things and headed to the elevator, tracing his finger across Kate's desk along the way.

-

Tony stood with everyone else, the organs piping the soft wedding ballad. He turned his head and saw Kate walking down the aisle. She had the widest smile he'd ever seen her wear. She carried a bouquet of simple, red roses. Her gown was a bright white - a mirror to the purity of it's wearer. Tony beamed at her as she slowly stepped down the carpet. He felt a tug on his sleeve and looked down. A little girl with long brown hair and giant hazel eyes looked up at him. He picked her up.

"Look, Anya. There's Mommy." He said, tipping his head towards the altar.

"Why are you crying, Uncle Tony?" She asked, her worried eyes boring into his.

"Because Angels never break their promises."


Tony's eyes eased open. He felt the pillow behind his head, the quilt twisted around his body. It was dark, save for the now distant memory of Kate's glowing gown.

A smile played on his lips as Kate's soft voice whispered in his ear.

"I promise."
Chapter End Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own the characters, they belong to the big guns of CBS and Belisarius. I am foster mother to Anya, however as said big guns killed her mother. *cries*

Just something I thought up of after the S.3 ep "Family Secrets" when Gibbs brings in dinner for Jen, etc. I thought it a sad reflection on Tony's loss.

Feedback is adored =D