- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The team reads the second letter Tony left.
When Gibbs got back to the bullpen, he found McGee, Ziva, Abby and Ducky gathered around Tony’s desk staring at an envelope. “What’s that?”

McGee sighed, “It’s a letter from Tony addressed to all of us.” He looked at him, “Is Tony coming back?” They all looked at Gibbs, hopeful that their leader would tell them that this was just a mis-understanding and that Tony would be back in a few days and everything will be back to normal.

Gibbs bit his lip, “Have you read the letter?” He was stalling, a rare thing for him, but he hoped that Tony’s letter would give him some clue as to where he was.

McGee shook his head, “No. We were waiting for you to get back.” He peeled the envelope open and pulled out a letter.

“Dear Abby, Ducky, McGee and Ziva,

If you’re reading this, then Jenny had no luck trying to find a way for me to stay on at NCIS. I’m sorry for not being there to tell you all goodbye in person but I don’t think I’d be able to express this properly.

First off, I wanna say that what’s wrong with me isn’t terminal. I’m not dying, not yet anyway, I just physically can’t be an agent anymore.

Abby, you’ve been the little sister I never had. You’ve always been there when I needed a laugh or a shoulder to cry on. I doubt very seriously that I would’ve stayed as long as I have if it hadn’t been for you. Thank you for being my friend. I’ll miss you but I promise to contact you as soon as I figure out what I’m going to do.

Ducky, you’re probably the closest thing to a father I’ve ever had. My own father never gave a damn about me, but you did, even though I didn’t always make it easy. Please don’t worry or think that this is somehow your fault. I’ll be sure to keep you updated on how I’m doing.

McGee, I know I haven’t always made your life easy and I know I’ve made you pretty angry at times by teasing you. I hope you realize I was joking most of the time. You’re Gibbs’ senior agent now, I know you’ll do a great job. Don’t worry about not being ready, I wasn’t ready when I made senior agent. Don’t forget about the requisition paperwork. The book I made up is in my desk. I’ve also left my calender that has the dates for when things are due marked. Take care of Abby for me.

P.S: Gibbs’ awards are in my bottom left desk drawer, he’ll probably have you accept them from now on.

Ziva, I have to say that we’ve come a long way from the first time we met after Kate’s death. I have to say you’ve become a good friend and someone I trusted out in the field. Take care of yourself.

I’ll miss all of you. Please take care of each other.

Love,
Tony.”

Gibbs felt moisture in his eyes but he forced it back and looked at his team. Abby was sobbing into McGee’s shoulder, Ziva was wiping tears off of her face, McGee wasn’t crying but his eye were noticably wet and Ducky was wiping at his eyes with a handkerchief.

Gibbs stared at the letter still in McGee’s hands, he was sure it hadn’t escaped anyone’s notice that he himself wasn’t addressed in the letter. He couldn’t understand why, even if Tony didn’t have glowing words of praise or love for him, he’d at least expected something, even if it was a ‘Screw you, you bastard’.

“Why are you just standing there?!” He looked up to see Abby glaring at him, her make-up streaked and smeared down her face. “It’s your fault he’s sick and you’re just gonna stand there?!” She stormed over and stood glaring at Gibbs, which would’ve been intimidating if her make-up wasn’t running down her face and her nose wasn’t swollen from crying. She began jabbing her index fingernail into his chest.

“If you hadn’t gone running off with Maddie Tyler, you wouldn’t have ended in that water and Tony wouldn’t have had to dive in after you and he wouldn’t have gotten sick and he wouldn’t have to leave.” She pointed to the door, “Go TALK to him. At least tell him you’re sorry for ruining his career.”

“I agree with Abigail, Jethro,” Ducky said, tucking his handkerchief into his pocket, “You at least owe Anthony that much, seeing as how you never thanked him for saving you in the first place.” McGee and Ziva nodded their agreement.

Gibbs stood there for a moment glaring at his team until he realized that they weren’t going to back down. With a sigh, he grabbed his jacket and headed for the parking lot.

TBC
Chapter End Notes:
Characters may be ooc.