- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs goes to Tony's apartment and gets two surprises
Gibbs pulled up to Tony’s apartment with a feeling of trepidation. Even though he secretly agreed with his team that he needed to talk to Tony, he couldn’t help but wonder if Tony would even talk to him. The fact that he wasn’t addressed in Tony’s farewell letter told him that most likely Tony was blaming him for the end of a career that he’d been very proud of.

He stared up at the window that he knew belonged to Tony’s apartment. The light wasn’t on but that didn’t mean anything, Tony could be asleep or just had the lights off. He noticed that he didn’t see Tony’s car anywhere so he decided to wait in the apartment until Tony got back.

He walked up the three flights of stairs to Tony’s door and fished out his key out. After taking a deep breath, he inserted his key into the lock, walked in and froze.

Tony’s stuff was gone, all of it. Even the ugly end table that had been in the apartment when Tony had moved in was gone. Feeling panicked, Gibbs rushed into Tony’s bedroom to find it empty too, the closet emptied out of all the expensive suits Tony liked so much. A quick check of his bathroom and the missing toiletries confirmed Gibbs’ fears; Tony had left town, he was too late.

Gibbs trudged back into the living room, feeling very hollow when he spied an envelope on the floor against the wall. Bending down to pick it up, he saw that his name was written on the envelope.

He sat down in the middle of Tony’s empty apartment with the envelope in his hands and stared at it for several minutes before opening it.

‘Gibbs,

I figured you’d be the one to come looking for me after you found out what happened. I’m sure you’re wondering why you weren’t addressed in the letter I left for the team. The reason was that what I have to say, I didn’t want the rest of the team to know.

The truth is Gibbs, I haven’t been completely honest with you or the team. It’s nothing illegal or anything like that but it is something I think you should know. I’m bisexual and I’ve been attracted to you for a long time.

Now before you freak out, no one knows about this, not even Abby; though she’s probably already figured it out knowing her. I guess if you want to know how long this has been going, I’d say that I’ve been feeling this way for at least three years.

I don’t expect anything, I doubt you feel the same way, which is why I never said anything while I was at NCIS. I figured since my law enforcement career is now over and I’m probably never going to see you again, it was now or never.

I’m sure you’re blaming yourself for my discharge or Abby’s blaming you enough for a couple of people. Don’t worry about it, the only sure thing is change. McGee has what it takes to be a good senior agent.

Thank you for giving me a chance and for putting up with me when most people would’ve had me out on my ass a long time ago and for being one of the few people I’ve ever trusted.

Tony.’


Gibbs sat there, staring at the letter, he wasn’t surprised that Tony had predicted that he would come looking for him, but he was shocked by Tony’s confession. Tony was in love with HIM, Leroy Jethro Gibbs? How was that possible and how could he not have noticed it?

Feeling confused and hollow, Gibbs folded up the letter and stuck it into his pocket before getting to his feet with a groan and heading back downstairs. After speaking to Tony’s former landlady, Gibbs turned over the spare key he’d had for the past seven years and left the apartment complex feeling less than he had when he’d left NCIS Headquarters.

*************************

When Gibbs stepped back into the bullpen, Abby ran up to him, “Gibbs! Did you talk to Tony?” Her face was so hopeful, certain that Gibbs had somehow managed to fix things.

Gibbs took a deep breath to steady himself before lowering the bombshell, “Tony’s gone, Abby.”

Abby frowned, “What?”

Gibbs shook his head, “Tony’s left town. His apartment was completely cleaned out and his landlady said that Tony had moved out a few days ago and didn’t leave a forwarding address.”

Abby stared at him for a long minute before turning around and storming off. McGee and Ziva both glared at him before turning back to their paperwork, leaving what had been Tony’s desk empty.

Gibbs sat down at his own desk and tried to focus on his own paperwork that needed to be done. He’d had agents quit on him before but somehow, this hurt more and it felt more final. Tony was gone and he had no idea where he was and Tony wasn’t coming back.

TBC
Chapter End Notes:
Characters may be ooc