- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Life goes on for the team until an email from Tony arrives
Life goes on. That cliché was certainly true for Gibbs’ team. Slowly, everyone adjusted to the new dynamics of the team. McGee was coming into his own as senior agent, though he still had a lot to learn that had been almost second nature to Tony given his experience as a cop, but he was learning. Ziva was getting better at working in a team enviroment, though she still got her slang wrong sometimes.

The one who seemed to be taking Tony’s departure the hardest was Abby. Even though she had apologized for blaming him for Tony’s departure, it had taken a few weeks before their relationship was back to the way it had been before Maddie. Even so, she’d set up a mini-shrine to Tony with pictures of him and little trinkets he’d gotten for her over the years all over her lab; there was a picture of a sketch of Tony that Kate had done as a wallpaper on Abby’s computer. The whole thing had raised Gibbs’ suspicions until McGee pointed out that Abby had done a similar thing for him when he’d briefly retired. Though McGee had also commented that her tribute to Gibbs hadn’t been as big as the one to Tony.

Ducky had come around eventually too, though Gibbs still heard Ducky ask Abby if she’d heard from Tony. Apparently Tony hadn’t gotten in touch with Abby like he’d said he would. Abby had said that most likely Tony had either not found a place to live or didn’t have any news and didn’t want to worry them.

As for Gibbs, he spent whatever time he wasn’t working thinking about his and Tony’s relationship, turning over every moment they’d spent together, trying to see if there had been any sign that Tony’s feelings were what he claimed they were and his own feelings as well. He was attracted to Tony, the younger man had something about him that drew people to him, Gibbs included. But Gibbs couldn’t say that it was love in the sexual sense but he couldn’t deny the fantasies he’d had involving Tony over the years either.

Tony had been gone almost four months when Abby came bounding into the bullpen with a big smile on her face, “I got an email from Tony!”

It was a good thing that they had no cases because everyone, Gibbs included, rushed to Abby’s lab and gathered around her computer.

‘Dear Abby,

Sorry it’s taken me so long to contact you but I haven’t had a lot of time between moving and getting everything set up in my new home. For once in my life, I listened to my doctor; he suggested that I move somewhere warm to help my lungs and stave off more infections so I moved to Las Vegas. It’s been a bit of an adjustment since Vegas is such a night city. But I am starting to feel better, my coughing has calmed down and I don’t have to use my nebulizer
as much.

Before you ask, yes I’m still working. A friend of mine in LA helped me get a job as an investigator in a private detective firm. It’s not as exciting as NCIS but I still get to do research and stakeouts. Plus, Jen was able to help me get a part-time job teaching criminology at WLVU. I’ve also managed to make some friends here, mostly people from work but I’ve also been clubbing, which you would love by the way.

So, how’s DC? Has Gibbs hired anyone since I left? How’re McGee and Ziva doing? How’s McGee handling being Senior Agent? Tell him I wish that I’d had more time to train him while I was in charge.

As you can tell, I’ve had to change my email address since I’m not longer with NCIS. Also, I’m giving you my cell and regular phone numbers. My cell number is 702-555-0327, my land line is 702-555-0920, call me when you get the time or send me an email.

Give McGee a slap on the head for me and tell everyone I miss them.

Love,
Tony’


Everyone was smiling at each other, all relieved that Tony seemed to be doing all right, everyone except Gibbs. Tony hadn’t mentioned him except for the question about hiring someone to fill in McGee’s position and that hurt more than he’d thought it would. He’d thought…hoped that Tony would at least have something to say to him. Not being addressed at all bothered him. Sure, the ‘everyone’ Tony mentioned probably included him, but McGee and Ziva had been addressed by name, so had Jenny. This bothered him, but he forced it back.

“All right everyone, back to work.” The entire crew split up, McGee and Ziva went back to the elevators with Gibbs behind and Abby headed for autopsy, presumably to tell Ducky about the email when he got back from dealing with an emergency at home.

The rest of the day ticked by slowly but finally, Gibbs sent McGee and Ziva home. Once he was sure everyone was gone, he picked up his phone and dialed a familiar number.

“Gary, it’s Gibbs. Listen, I need you to look up the address that goes with a phone number. You ready?” He rattled off Tony’s Las Vegas phone number from memory and waited for a couple of minutes before Gary came back. “Yeah, I’m still here. What’s the address?” He jotted down the address, “Thanks Gary, I appreciate it.” He hung up and looked at the piece of paper. He had Tony’s address, now what was he going to do?

TBC

Author’s Note #2: I’m not sure what the physical requirements for a PI are so I’m just guessing. Also, the thing with Tony teaching I got from Forensic Files involving a murderer who was a former cop and taught at a local university.