- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Fallout...
Chapter Two

“I’m okay…Dad.” But he wasn’t okay at all. It was patently clear that Mac was in a great deal of pain. His fist rested over his chest, his eyes closed and jaw clenched, and Keith could see even in the dim lights of the parking lot that there was some bleeding. Maybe the Marines had been justified in releasing Mac.

Keith shifted so that his side and back were against the hood of the car. This way he could at least touch Mac’s leg. It wasn’t enough but for now it would have to be.

“Shannon, it’s okay.” He stroked the young girl’s hair, feeling just as protective over her as he had for Jethro when they had first met. “Just let me in and tell me what you’re thinking.”

Shannon looked down at Mac so still, curled up to try and protect himself, and felt awful. “Oh goodness, what did I do? I didn’t mean to do that. It wasn’t him; it shouldn’t have been him. I don’t wanna hurt anyone; I’m just angry and scared. Jethro, he’s supposed to be mine. He takes care of me, I need him and I don’t want him to send me away.”

“It’s okay, honey. You reacted. You didn’t mean it. I just hope you haven’t done my boy any major damage. He was badly hurt, you know.” Keith continued to stroke the young woman’s hair. “You don’t need to be frightened. Jethro may not be yours but he is a man of honor and will take care of you. But Shannon, know this. In my family you are not allowed to strike out at anyone. You will make this up to Mac when things are calmer.”

Keith led her over to his own rental and sat her on the hood. “Start thinking about your apology to Mac, Shannon. He deserves it. I’m going to go over there to check on my wife and son.”

He took off his coat and wrapped it around her. “You stay here, young woman. We have a lot of talking to do.”

Shannon pulled the coat around her tight. She had to make all of this up to Mac and her family, she just didn’t know how she was going to do it yet.

Jethro knelt down next to Emily, helping her up. “Mom, are you okay? I’m so sorry, should have done this differently. This is all my fault, I screwed it up big time.”

“Jethro, you can’t take responsibility for everything. You aren’t at fault, Shannon needs to know what she did was wrong and she’s the one who needs to be apologizing. She and I will be talking about manners and I can promise you she won’t be doing something like that again.”

Taking the offered assistance, Emily brushed her pants off. “Go to Mackai, he needs you more than I do. Be careful with him Jethro. He’s not healthy, we’re going to need to get him to the hospital. We can’t take any chance, because I’m not going to lose him tonight.”

“Lose him?” Keith spoke in an undertone, checking his wife over carefully. “Are you hurt? What do you mean? He’s not healthy? Is there something I should know? He’s healing…”

“He was hurt worse than he was letting on, Keith. Seems our boy didn’t want to upset us. We need to get him to a hospital and get him checked out. There are more problems with his heart, still shrapnel in there that could kill him.” Keith would take care of this, he was so good under pressure, and she could go back to being the concerned mother. “It’s going to take him a long time to heal, and a lot of surgeries to get to a point where he can even start healing. We have a long road ahead of us.”

Keith closed his eyes and swallowed hard. “Good lord, Emily.” He knew the Marines didn’t kick able bodied and talented leaders out without damn good reason. When he’d seen the note, trepidation had started growing.

He looked over at Shannon sitting on the car. “Go inside the room, Em. Have her call someone, a friend, someone older, who can be with her. But hurry. I’ll drive the boys; you follow. Shannon will have directions to the closest ER. I’ll leave instructions for you to be let in as soon as you get there.”

He brushed a hand over Emily’s cheek. “We are not losing him, Emily. I swear that to you.”

“You and Jethro take care of my boy.” Emily knew that Keith was good to his word, and had never lied to her once in all the years they were together. He would care for both boys, and get Mac the help he needed. “We’ll meet you there. Don’t you worry about me. I want all of your attention on driving safe. Let Jethro take care of our boy. He’ll do right by him.”

Keith nodded, leaning in and kissing Emily deeply. “He’ll be okay, Honey. Neither of us will accept any less.”

“I know. It’s why I’m letting you leave with him. Now go, get him the help he needs.”

Mac kept graying out, coming close to passing out before something would jolt him back to awareness. He was bleeding pretty badly and there was grit there, sharp metallic grit he picked out slowly, gathering in his fist. At some point, he’d slumped over on his right side and he was slowly slipping off the slick metal of his car.

He forced himself into a near sitting position through sheer will before groaning. He wanted to ask for help but his mouth wasn’t working right. His eyes slammed shut and he pitched forward, only vaguely aware of someone’s arms tight around him, catching him before he could hurt himself even worse. Cast…Jethro. “J…Jet.”

“I got you, Babe. Is this all from Shannon?” The girl had gotten in a couple of good shots, but it shouldn’t have been this bad. “You got to stick with me, Mac. We’ll get someone to look at you. Can’t lose you now, not when I just got you back.”

“Yeah,” Mac nodded slightly. “Stay…don’t go. Neither of us…going.”

“Jethro?” Keith spoke in an undertone. “We need to get him to the emergency room, now. Mac’s a lot worse off than he told Mom or me. Can’t imagine he told you the whole story either. Mom said he’s got shrapnel there that could kill him and he needs a lot more medical attention. Don’t know about you, but I’m not ready to lose this stubborn mule. Get him in the back seat, son, and give me directions.” He softened his voice. “And you, Mac. We know; we love you. Just try to stay calm and strong right now.”

“Don’t worry…”

“Don’t give us reason to. Jethro? Come on, son. Snap out of it. I know this must be bringing back bad memories for you but I need you in the here and now with me.”

“Yes sir, sorry sir.” Jet snapped out of it, knowing he had to get Mac into the car and to the hospital. “Knew it was bad, Dad. Didn’t know it was that bad. And Shannon didn’t help, going off the deep end the way she did. She’s not normally like that, Sir; she’s a good girl. Just scared.”

Keith’s hands came up and he smoothed Jethro’s hair down. “Don’t worry, Son. Don’t worry, it’s okay. Don’t need any of that sir stuff, my boy. Dad will do.” It dismayed him to see how Jethro had reverted to his military bearing, but he understood.

“Shannon will be with Mom; she’ll be just fine.” Keith reached for Mac and helped Jethro get him into the car. Mac grabbed him, pressing something into his hand. As Jethro gently settled Mac in, Keith examined what his son had handed him. Small bits of twisted metal lay in his hand.

“Jethro?” Keith said softly, showing him. “Check and see if anything else is working its way out.”

“Sorry…such a weakling…”

Pulling Mac’s shirt open, he could see where the bandage had lifted, and blood was seeping from the wound. The ragged skin and angry red marks didn’t faze him any longer, as he had spent the last few weeks doing the bandaging for Mac. “This is going to hurt, but I need to check for anything new. I’ll be as gentle as I can. Your dad will drive while I play doctor. Not so much fun when it’s not a sex game, but when you’re feeling better we’ll have to play, to make up for it. I’ll show you mine any time after this that you ask.”

“Okay,” Mac whispered, groaning when Jethro ran a gentle hand over his chest. “Any more souvenirs?” Mac hadn’t made a big deal out of it but every week or so a small bit of metal would come to the surface, usually responsible for the bleeding and tearing of flesh. They had told him it would happen but it was still a bit strange, and a lot unsettling.

“Nothing I can find. Hope we don’t have to go through a metal detector going into the hospital though. Can’t be held up by some overzealous rent-a-cop who thinks he’s stopping a criminal.”

Mac tried to laugh but ended up coughing instead, pressing his head against Jet’s shoulder. “Gotta work on your technique. Told ya woman scorned…”

"And you'll never let me forget it either. I'm so sorry, should have been faster. I should have known she'd do something like this. Just didn't believe she had any sort of violent tendencies in her. She's always been quiet, couldn't even kill a bug. So to see her like that. I've handled this badly from top to bottom."

“Gonna make you pay. On your back. Side. Whatever. You’ll pay, beautiful boy.” Mac snuggled in closer, his eyes drifting shut. “We gonna make it, you and me?”

“I’ve got no intention of failing. We’ve come a long way in a short period of time, and I’m not giving up on us.” They’d have plenty of rough roads in the future, but after everything they’d lived through they had a good chance of making it. “Don’t go buying jewelry for just every person I get involved with. Makes you special.”

Mac was trying so hard to relax and Jethro’s warmth represented comfort. “Who swept who off his feet, Jet?” His hands relaxed and he moved to Jethro’s shoulder, above the cast, rubbing the tense muscles. “Don’t lock up on me. How ya gonna carry me inside otherwise?”

"I'm fine, not the one you should be worried about. You don't weigh enough to stop me from carrying you in, but you may want to let your dad and I both help you in. Might not hurt so bad as me jostling you around. But if you want to get carried over the threshold, who am I to say no."

“Okay, Dad can help, if you insist.” Mac nuzzled close. “You mean so much. We’re gonna make it, Jet. If I have anything to say about it. Not gonna check out, so don’t any of you think so. You guys worry too much.”

"Just being cautious. You had major surgery, and should have known you weren't ready for anything too strenuous. I'll make it up to you, promise."

“First of a few, Jet. How’re you gonna make what up to me? What did you do that was so wrong? Outside of sleeping with the kid? But I’m not talking about that now. Just…just wanna be with you.”

"Drove you around the country, pushed you to meet Shannon. Lots of things that could have waited." They'd deal with the big Shannon issue once Mac was checked out and they knew he would be okay. "Just wasn't being a very considerate person, making you do all the stuff that I did."

“Mom and Dad sent us to Florida, I didn’t say no. And I needed you to meet Mom and Dad in case…” Mac coughed again, he was so exhausted. “You better think about making it up. I’m unemployed. You’re a big strong tough Marine. I’m at your mercy, you’d better treat me right, Gibbs.”

Mac pressed even tighter to Jethro. “I need you by my side. Felt so damn lost.”

Jethro stroked Mac’s hair with his good arm, silently wishing him to settle down. Last thing they needed was a coughing attack. “I have every intention of treating you right. You should be getting some sort of settlement package, so you might be unemployed but hardly helpless. Once we get you back on your feet, the two of us can sit down and start thinking about what’s next. We’re going to need a place to live, and eventually you’ll need a job. I could talk to the landlord in Shannon’s building; he might cut us a break on multiple apartments. I’m pretty sure they have another two bedroom open.” The look on Mac’s face was heartbreaking, when Jethro mentioned the two bedroom, and Jet realized why real quick and quickly tried to make his lover understand, arm tightening around Mac’s too thin shoulder. But before he could explain, Mac spoke again, his muscles tightening under Jethro’s hand.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea, Jethro. If you feel you need to be that close with her…do it. But I gotta look out for me. I’m not sure moving in together is a good thing right now. Maybe I should stay with Mom and Dad and figure stuff out and that gives you and her time to work things out without me intruding.”

"You don't want to stay with me?" Maybe suggesting that they move close to Shannon had been insensitive, but paying for two apartments, when neither Mac nor Shannon would be bringing in enough for rent was going to be difficult to swing on his pay check. If the landlord would let him have two apartments at a decent price, it could be doable. "I'm coming back to Chicago with you, at least until I need to report back. I'm going to try to get temporarily re-stationed to Chicago, while you're healing. I figure we can work out what happens next after you're better. But if you don't want me around…"

Mac coughed again, a racking, weak sound that sent terror through Jethro.

“Of course I want to stay with you and I want you around, but…Shannon is another story, beautiful boy. I don’t know if I can shoulder that stress. I know finances are an issue, though I have savings. Six years of summer jobs all saved up, and my salary. They pay officers pretty well, ya know.” Mac paused catching his breath. You want to stay…in Chicago? But…West Virginia is your home, Jet.”

“You don’t need to stress about Shannon. She knows we won’t be together, but I can’t just desert her either. I’m the one who brought her here and I need to make sure she’s taken care of. I owe it to both of our mothers to take care of her. I can keep you two separate though, I wouldn’t force you to deal with her, not after this.”

It would take some doing, but he could adjust to life in Chicago if he had to. He was a country boy at heart, but that didn’t mean he wouldn’t make it work. “My home is where you are, not any place specific. I can make Chicago or where ever you want to be home. Just need you to be there.”

He wished like hell he could shut Mac up, but despite the coughing and pain in his voice, he seemed focused and Jethro needed Mac to stay with it.

“I’m not asking you to abandon her, wouldn’t do that to you, Jet. All I’m saying is that I don’t want to live next door to her. Too many opportunities for conflict.” Mac nudged Jet’s head up, staring into the other man’s eyes. “But you’d rather be closer to the mountains, right? In your heart, you’d rather be closer to home. You can tell me.”

But he didn’t have to. Mac knew the Midwest wasn’t a place Jethro would ever truly call home. “Let me heal and get through surgery and then maybe we can come back to Virginia. We’ll find a way for her to keep her place and job, Jet. I’m not going to abandon her either.”

“I like it here, but it’s as good as Chicago would be, Mac. I can go wherever we need to be, I’m not picky. I enjoyed my time in Chicago, it was a nice change of pace. After being up at the cabin for those couple weeks, it was kinda nice to see how the other side lives.” He’d do what ever he had to, and Chicago would be as good as any place. Virginia would be fine too. He still had a couple of years and probably a couple of bases to serve at, but where ever he landed would be fine if he had Mac with him. “This part of the world isn’t bad either, a little ways out from the city, and you can land almost in the country, but still be close to what ever you need.”

“We won’t worry about the details right now then. You know I’m not too fussy. I just need you…so damn much, sweet boy. I promise, we’ll find a way to compromise.”

“We’re going to need two rooms where ever we end up, in case any of the guys come over, Mac. A place that looks like where you sleep, not where you will sleep. You and me- once you’re better, we’re not going to be separated. But if I’m going to survive my enlistment, we’re going to have to make it look like we’re nothing more than housemates.”

Mac understood, but it was a little hard to take, the adjustment that they’d have to spend their lives hiding. “It’s going to be hard, Jet. Sure you want this? You could be a lifer, the Marines need guys like you.”

"And I need a guy like you. Let's see how it goes, Mac. The Marines let go one of the best men for the job. I don't know that I need them if they don't need you. I'll see what happens. If I get a better offer, I'll take it. I don't want to live life hiding if we don't have to."

“They let me go for good reason. They knew I was in bad shape, Jet. Hell, I knew. It was just easier to pretend to be okay.” Mac swallowed hard, considering their future"really considering it. “If we don’t have to, I don’t want to hide either, but I won’t have you in any danger. Just please don’t give up your future, sweet boy. We’ll work it out. I can probably get a teaching certification right now…I’m not helpless and I have a degree.”

“Your dad mentioned you maybe going back to school. That might not be a bad idea. I think you’d still qualify for the GI Bill, so you don’t have to work crazy hours and do school on top of it. Something to think about, although you don’t have to if you don’t want to. You get to totally reinvent yourself, and you can do what ever you want. No one can tell you, so just think about it.”

Mac gave Jet a shy, tired, completely sad smile. “Follow my dreams? But they were always to serve. I imagined I’d stay in for ten years or so and then maybe go law enforcement. Not an option now, sweet boy. I don’t know what I want to do beyond that. I could teach, but I don’t think it’s my passion. Not like the Corps are…were. My whole reality just shifted. I have to think it through.”

“You’ll figure it out, Mac. I know this isn’t your dream or your ideal life, but it’s what you’ve got and I’m thankful that you have it.” Jet would do whatever it took to get Mac doing something outside of the Corps. He’d be a great teacher, or he could probably write about his experiences and make a decent amount of money until he figured out what he wanted to be when he grew up. “We’ll figure it out together. I’m going to have to find something else to do eventually. Maybe we can both figure out what we want to be when we grow up.”

“You’d be a hell of a cop or investigator. Jethro Gibbs, Private Dick.” Mac smirked. “Then again, that is completely for me and me alone.”


“Boys…boys. I’m open-minded, but I have no desire to hear about your sex games. Nor, do I imagine you’d want to picture your mother in a maid’s costume with a feather duster.” Keith was relieved to hear Jethro bantering with Mac. He watched silently as Jethro touched Mac gently, his cast all but forgotten. He was a great man and Keith was so happy he and Mac had found each other. “Don’t overdo back thedre, Mackai.”

“Sir, no offense, but I never want to ever think of Mom that way. Promise to keep anything we do between us, as long as you never say something like that again. I was just trying to keep Mac calm, giving him something else to think about while I was poking around the mess on his chest.”

Keith met Jethro’s gaze in the rearview mirror, giving him a look of understanding. “Don’t think you’re not too old for me to paddle, Jethro Gibbs. I said no more sir, and I meant it, Son.” The way Jethro was with Mac warmed his own heart. “How is our patient doing back there, Lad?”

"Yes, Sir.. I mean Dad. Habit more than anything." Jet was stroking Mac's hair, trying to be soothing without hurting him anymore. "I think he'll be fine. His breathing has calmed down considerably, which is a good sign. Not that I'm a doctor or anything, but I've been with him through some of these pain attacks. It's a good sign."

“You’ve been here before?” Keith was horrified. “And you didn’t think to tell your mother or me this why, Jethro? We knew it looked bad, but we had no idea…we had no idea. Could we lose him, Jethro? Tell me the honest truth.”

“Never this bad, Dad. But pain combined with nightmares, it can get scary. Threatened to take him to the hospital once in Florida, but he made me promise to let him try and calm down on his own.” Had scared the crap out of him, but Mac had been able to calm down without medical intervention. “He didn’t tell me how bad it was, not until tonight. And even then I think he’s holding out on me. Something we’ll have to talk about when he’s feeling better.”

“Oh boys…my boys.” Keith followed the signs to the hospital. “You’re both coming back to Chicago with me. Mac’s been discharged; you still have your cast on. I’m not having either of you on your own, boys. Mom and I will take care of you both. No arguments, am I understood?”

"After tonight, not going to argue. I need to report back to base first, clear the time with my CO. I'll see what I can do." If Jet could make this work, he would. Mac needed his family right now, and he needed Mac. "I'll try to get reassigned to someplace closer to you, at least temporarily. Eventually, I'll have to come back here more than likely, but maybe not so soon. Just need a place to report in and keep the Corps up to date on my arm."

“We’ll work it all out, Jet. Thank you for not arguing. We’ll clean out Mac’s quarters, he won’t have to deal with that right now.” Keith met Jethro’s eyes again. “We love you boys and we’re going to heal the both of you, I promise that. You can relax and trust us, Jethro. You too, Mac, though you should know that after all these years.”

"I trusted you, Dad. Just didn't want to bring our problems into your home. We've been getting better, and thought it was just a matter of time. Won't make the same mistake twice."

“The responsibility isn’t on your shoulders, son. I think Mac hid a great deal from all of us. Yourself included, my boy. Mackai? No more lies and no more hiding. We can only heal you if we know how bad it is, understood? Both of you.”

“Okay, Dad. What do you want to know?”

“How bad is it, Mac. Tell us.”

Mac let out a shuddery sigh and talked slowly, deliberately. “Truth. Okay. I was supposed to die. They told me it’d be a miracle if I lived and I think they maybe lost me a couple of times on the table. Shrapnel is buried deep, and it is either gonna work its way out. Or…I drop dead one day. Later on, they can operate but not now. So say your goodbyes, Lieutenant, just in case. Fell in love, tried to make sure you were all okay if I was gone. Wish you understood.”

Keith sent up a silent thanks that they were pulling in to the hospital. He hopped out and got in the back, needing to be close to both of the young men. “Mac, I want clearance to look at your medical records. I will find the best damn doctors in the world. We’ll work together to heal you. None of us are going to lose you. None of us, our boy.” Keith stroked the back of Mac’s neck, allowing Jethro to take the dominant role in comforting his soul mate.

"I'm not saying goodbye. I'm not going to give up on you or on us, Mac, and I don't expect you to do that either." Jet couldn't face a future without Mac, and didn't know what he'd do. "You need to let us all help you, make things easier for you. Just don't leave me ok?"

“That was why I brought you home. In case…you’d have family if…” Jet sounded like he was near tears and Mac pulled back enough to settle more comfortably against the other man, looking into those liquid eyes. “Not the one leaving, beautiful boy. Not the one with the girlfriend. Yours, long as you’ll have me.”

“By her reaction, even if I wanted to go back to that I couldn’t. It’s you and me, against the world. You’re stuck with me.”

“Place I like being stuck. Love you way too much. Not healthy. No objectivity when it comes to you.”

"I'm not objective when it comes to you either. Haven't been from that first night we met, although it's gotten worse since. Only want to make sure you're safe, that you're eating. I've turned into my mother, which is kind of a gross comparison, considering what we do in bed together."

“Just don’t turn into mine and we’ll be okay. God…Jethro Gibbs…I love you so much.”

“Love you too, Mac.” Jet leaned in, kissing the other man gently. “And I don’t think Mom would let me turn into her. I couldn’t possibly be that protective, no matter how hard I tried.”

Mac chuckled and nodded. “Nobody could.” He snuggled close, content to just absorb Jet’s warmth.

~*~

Emily came up next to Shannon and put a hand on her arm. “We’re going to go back into the room and you are going to call a friend who can come sit at the hospital with you, Shannon. I’m Mac’s mother, and his dad is going to take him to go get checked out. Do you have someone you could call to be with you?”

Shannon was so cold but when the lady talked, she nodded. “Okay, Mac’s mother. What should I call you, ma’am?” She thought hard. Cora was away visiting the grandkids. Maybe nice Victoria? Wasn’t her son a doctor too?

“You can call me Emily or Jethro calls me Mom. You’re family to him, so you’re family to my husband and me, Shannon.” It was apparent the girl needed a strong parental influence in her life, and if she would allow her and Keith in, Emily wanted to give it to her. “Just don’t call me ma’am, makes me sound old, and I don’t really feel that way at all.”

“Okay Mrs. Emily.” Shannon edged closer to the lady and looked at her bloody hand. “Before I use a phone, I should wash up.” A fresh wave of tears started pouring down her face. “I hurt Mac. I didn’t mean to. I was just mad. It’s humiliatin’, losing Jethro to a boy. It’s unnatural. God’s word says so. I don’t want Jethro goin’ to hell, Mrs. Emily. He’s supposed to be mine, not some boy’s.”

“Shannon, I know you didn’t mean to hurt Mac, and he’ll know it too. You and he are going to have to talk and get to know one another, if for no other reason than because you both love Jethro. You can be mad, you just can’t take it out on people the way you did.”

It was going to be a long journey before her son and this girl could become friends, and even then she wasn’t sure how friendly they would be. But for Jethro, they needed to at least come to some truce. Emily could see what Mac was speaking of, how young Shannon seemed, but also how much she was trying to act older than she was. “Jethro isn’t going to hell, I promise you. I don’t think that even God could be upset that two people love each other the way that Mackai and Jethro do. You just need to be around them for a few minutes to see it. You’ll always be Jethro’s girl, that won’t change. You just may have found yourself another boy to help take care of you is all.”

Shannon’s lower lip trembled. “But I don’t wanna know him. He’s stealin’ my boy. He’s like Alexis on Dynasty and I’m Krystle. We gotta fight it out for my boy.” She looked at the woman. “He isn’t gonna get my Jethro, Mrs. Emily, cause I’m a baby maker and he ain’t.” Shannon hated that when she got upset, she sounded like she was a hick. “And Jethro gonna want babies some day.”

Shannon didn’t want to think that Jethro loved someone else. “Not natural, Mrs. Emily. They ain’t gonna fit right together. Two boys don’t have the right curves. How can Jethro love another boy? The Corps wouldn’t let him.”

That was it! That was how she’d fix it! “The Corps wouldn’t wanna hear about Jethro loving a boy, Mrs. Emily. So he gotta come back to his girl. Or I’ll sing like a canary.”

"Oh Shannon. Don't lower yourself that way. You're a good woman, who has the chance to really become a great woman. A woman who wouldn't want or need to catch a man that way. Don't you know darling, there's a man out there for you, and only for you?" It was difficult to stay calm knowing that this girl had the ability to ruin the boys’ lives in her hand, and she knew it. "Think about that Shannon. I couldn't imagine life without a soul mate, the one man in the whole world, who forty years later still makes my heart flip. Don't you want that for yourself?"

“But I want it to be Jethro. I wanted him always and forever. There’s not another boy I want like him. I gave him my first time, Mrs. Emily. I can’t let him go without a fight. I can’t let him go and be with a boy, even if it’s your son. Don’t you think it’s unnatural? Don’t you want your boy with a girl and to have grandkids and stuff?”

Shannon didn’t know what to do. “What do you mean lower myself, Mrs. Emily?”

“What I mean is you don’t have to become a lesser person to fall in love. You should be proud of who you are Shannon, not become someone else or do things that don’t show what kind of good person you are, to find someone to love you. You’re a good girl, you deserve someone who will love you just for being Shannon, not because of something you did to catch him.” She’d love grandkids some day, but there was always adoption, and she’d see that if they wanted children that Jet and Mac got them. “Someday they may have children, but it would be their decision. I’m happy that Mac found someone to love, even if it is another boy. They’ll be okay in the end. And I have no doubt that you will be as well.”

“What do I do, Mrs. Emily. My boy don’t love me no more. There never been anyone else. He’s my best friend. Where do I go without him? I got nowhere to go. My Ma and Pa are dead and the house was mortgaged. I got nowhere to go and nobody.”

Shannon was so scared.

"You accept family when it's presented to you. You're special to Jethro so you're special to me. He and I talked about you while he was visiting for Thanksgiving, and I suggested that maybe you would want to come to Chicago and stay with us for a while. Get your diploma and maybe try college." She had hoped that helping Shannon would help Jethro, and still allow the girl to feel secure. "My husband, he's a teacher, and would help you with your classes. You wouldn't have to work, at least not as much as you do now. For fun money, not to support yourself. You're too young to be living the way you do Shannon, and I want to help you."

“You seem nice but I don’t want to… Jethro is my boy. I don’t wanna be with your man, Mrs. Emily.” Shannon knew how that went. Her Pa had been after her to pay his debts with her body for a long time. Jethro had gotten her away from that before anything bad happened. “I should work. I don’t wanna get in your way, Mrs. Emily.”

"You don't want to be with..." It took a second but Emily realized what she meant. "No, you wouldn't be with Keith, not that way, Sweetheart. I don't know what kind of life you've led up until now, but you don't have to do anything like that ever again. We want to help you because you mean so much to Jethro. That means you're important to us as well. You can work; even pay a little rent if you want. But you don't have to. I'd like to give you the chance to just study and see what you want to do when you grow up. Nothing more than that."

“I don’t gotta perform? My Pa always said that was what was expected. That was why Jethro got me out before it happened. And I love him. How’m I gonna be okay without my boy. Knowing he’s kissing another boy. Infringin on your hospitality and with no way to pay you back. It’s not right and my Ma wouldn’t be proud.” She blinked back tears.

“My ma wouldn’t be proud of much I did tonight, Mrs. Emily.”

"Wouldn't your mom want you to get your education, Sweetheart?" Emily was starting to understand the whole picture, and knew she had to do something for Shannon. She couldn't let the young woman continue down this road, not with a clear conscience. "You're always going to have Jethro, and you could have Mackai and Keith and me as well, Shannon. You could get your diploma, which would make your mom very proud, and then look at colleges. You're still young and have the world in front of you. You don't need to sleep with men to pay them back for treating you well. You should expect that."

“My mom knew I couldn’t read the b and the d. I ‘m not smart. The words make no sense, Mrs. Emily. I’m trying to read real hard but it isn’t easy for me. I’d be lucky to get my diploma but I’ll never have a college education. Since my Ma died, I was at the mercy of men. And Jethro saved me. But now my Pa is dead too.” She looked at the woman, not sure how to convey that she was scared and couldn’t believe that anyone would want to watch over her like that.

“Shannon, they have a word for not being able to read right like that. When the letters get all mixed up in your head, it means you’re dyslexic, and luckily it’s treatable if you catch it. Most adults, they don’t catch it or know how to fix it. Just because you can’t read all that well right now, doesn’t mean you won’t be able to if you learn how to compensate for what you can and can’t do.” It wouldn’t be easy, but with help from herself and Keith, Emily was sure that Shannon would be able to get her college degree or even more if she wanted. “I want you to trust me, that I won’t let anything bad happen to you if you come to Chicago. If Keith even looks at you like he wants something more than to help you with your homework, you’ll come right to me and I will make sure it never happens again. But I trust my husband, he won’t want to do anything but help you.”

“They all say I’m dumb. It is very hard to read. My Ma tried to help, but she wasn’t a good reader neither.” Shannon edged closer to Mrs. Emily. “I…I don’t know. I don’t know what Jethro and his boy wants. I don’t wanna get in the way and I have to work ‘cause I have to make my food budget and pay my bills. I don’t have a credit card or savings. When my Pa died, he left debts.”

"I don't think you're dumb at all. I think you're pretty smart, and I bet Jethro does too. We'll talk to him, once Mac is okay and see what he thinks." She knew that Jethro would agree that Shannon should come with her and Keith, but talking the skittish girl into it was a different matter all together. "If Jethro thinks it's a good idea, will you come home with us? Even if you work, you can still get your diploma. That will help you get a better paying job, and make bills easier to pay."

“If Jethro thinks I should, Ma’am, and your man promises to not touch me, I will go with you. My Ma always told me not to look a gift horse in the mouth and you’re miles prettier than a horse.” Shannon wasn’t sure this was the right thing to do, but something felt right.

“Then we’ll start to make plans once you talk to Jethro. I understand needing to talk to someone who knows you and only wants the best for you.” Emily started making plans in her head, how to handle having a teen in the house again, and knowing this was the best thing for everyone. “You won’t regret it, Shannon, and I promise, there won’t be any touching you don’t want. We’re big huggers in my family, but if that makes you uncomfortable, just let me know and I’ll try to put an end to it.”

“Huggers are okay. Your man let me have his coat and he wasn’t creepy. Long as he doesn’t touch me in the bad places. What if he does, Mrs. Emily? Then what? I can’t go back to Jethro, not after what I done to his boy.”

“I can tell you Keith won’t ever touch you like that. But if he does, you’ll still have me. My husband isn’t the man I believe him to be if he would do that to a young woman.” She would have to see if Keith would introduce her to some of the girls from his classes. They might be able to help put Shannon’s mind at ease. “He teaches high school, and I know not all teachers are good but he is. He loves his kids, wants to see them do the best they can. But he’d never touch them or act inappropriately.”

“Your man is a teacher? Then he might surely think I’m not smart, ma’am. Do you teach too?” Shannon looked at the woman for a long moment. “You’d stand up for me over your man, Mrs. Emily? I never met anyone who did that before.”

“He is a teacher, science classes which I don’t understand. He’s really smart at it though, so I tell him he’s smart enough for the both of us.” She had no idea what Keith thought of the girl, but she would be finding out soon. “If my husband ever touched you in a bad place, I’d be the first one to want him to go to jail. Shannon, that’s how much faith I have in my man. I know he would never look at a girl your age, and see someone to play with.”

“My ma…I mean, Jethro. He’s smart too. Is Mac smart too? I bet he is.” Shannon reached a shaking hand out to the lady. “Do you promise that you’ll stand up for me if your man gets fresh? I hate to keep askin’ but nobody but Jethro would before so I gotta be sure.”

“Jethro and Mac will be coming with us for the time being, so the both of us will be watching out for you, Shannon. You have my word, the both of us are goin to be watching out for you, and will stand up for you if we have to.” Maybe hearing that Jethro would be likely be coming with Mac would make her feel better. “He’ll be there to help you adjust, and to help make things between you and Mac smoother. It will be okay, I know you’re scared but this is a great chance Shannon.”

“What of your boy hurts me. He could be really mad at me. He could hurt me and then what would I be. What would Jethro do, Mrs. Emily? I’m very very scared.” She edged closer. “Since my Ma been gone, Jethro been the only one who loves me and watches out for me. It’s hard for me to trust.”

"No one is going to hurt you Shannon, if they do, they'll have to deal with me if they do. And none of them want to do that. They may be the males, but I run my house."
Chapter End Notes:
Previous stories in our Firestorms Universe (and the first chapter of this story) can be found here: http://silverfoxfiles.livejournal.com/2562.html and http://silverfoxfiles.livejournal.com/7161.html

Previously, Shannon Kendall attacked Mac Taylor after learning her boyfriend Jethro was in love with Mac. Mac has just been discharged from the Marines and he and Jethro nearly broke up when Jethro hid the relationship between him and Shannon from Mac.