- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Companion of last chapter
12. Chapter: A return

The night had been very short for Tony. Lily had tossed and turned the whole night and called for Gibbs. In addition he had to take the day off, because she wouldn’t go to the child care and was hanging crying on his arm not letting go. In the end he went home with her where she was sleeping in his arms on the couch. Tony had never thought that she would be so afraid to be alone. Normally she was a very open girl, making new friends and wasn’t afraid of anything. But now with Jethro been gone for just one night she was totally different.

So he was waiting for Gibbs to come home and hoped that tomorrow would be different again.

He had checked when the flight from New York was coming in and planned to pick Gibbs and Kate up. He wasn’t sure what Gibbs will think about it, because Kate didn’t know about Lily yet. But in the end the happiness of one little girl was more important than Kate or Gibbs.

At 4pm he slowly woke Lily up.

“Hey honey, com’on you have to wake up!”

“Uncle Jet there?”

“No honey, but we’re going to surprise him and pick him up at the airport.”

“Where the big planes are?”

“Exactly! Com’on we have to go.” He took her hand and helped her with her shoes and her coat.

“Ollie can come too?” Lily asked while Tony was looking for his keys.

“Sure. Go get him!” he told her and waited for her to come back with her puppy.

An hour later they were standing at one of the big windows and looked down at the planes.

“We go to plane?”

“No honey, not today.”

“Is uncle jet in this plane?” she pointed to one of the big planes standing next to the window.

“No, his plane isn’t on this side!”

DiNozzo turned to look at the display for more information.

“Com’on we have to walk a little bit or otherwise Gibbs will not see us!”

They slowly walked to the passenger exit and waited for Gibbs and Kate.

No five minutes later, Lily was running to the leaving passengers, calling for Gibbs.

“Hey, that’s a surprise!” Gibbs laughed when she reached him and took her in his arms.

“I have seen the big planes!” she told him and her sorrow was forgotten.

“Really, the big planes?” Gibbs asked, while he made his way over to Tony.

Kate who was more than surprised about this little girl and Gibbs reaction, followed with some distance.

“Hey boss, good to have you back!” Tony grinned and was glad about the happy chatting girl.

“Good to be back, DiNozzo!”

“Hey Kate, how was the flight?” Tony asked and took her bag while guiding them to the parking lot.

“Good and short!” she answered still ogling the little girl.

“I’m sorry, I forgot to introduce. Kate this is Lilly my daughter, Lilly this is Kate she’s working with Daddy and Gibbs and Abby and Ducky and Gerald.”

The toddler observed Kate carefully, but when Kate smiled to her she smiled back.

“Hey there!” Kate grinned.

“Hey!” the girl answered silently.

“How about some dinner, I’m paying?” Gibbs asked while Tony put Lily in her seat.

“Yeah I’m very hungry!” Lily answered.

“Good.” Jethro answered and took the keys from Tony who sat down next to his daughter and left the passenger seat for Kate.

“You join us, Kate?” Tony asked the unusual silent woman.

“Sure. I have to learn to know everything after all.”

“Cool!” the senior agent answered and they were off to a little restaurant.
Chapter End Notes:
Hey, I hope you enjoy the new chapter. I'll be gone for holiday for the next three weeks, so it'll take some time for the next update. I wish you all a good new year. R&R abbylou