- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
After swak some decisions are made...
20. Consequences
Silently Gibbs made his way back into Tony’s room, careful as to not wake up his sleeping agent. Just this morning they had put DiNozzo in a normal hospital room and even promised Lily could come to visit the next afternoon. She was staying with Abby at the moment because Gibbs hardly left Tony’s side.
“Boss it you?” Tony asked sleepily.
“Yeah. Are you feeling better?” the grey-haired man asked concerned.
“Not much. When can I see Lily?”
“Abby is bringing her by tomorrow. She can’t wait to see you and give you your present!”
“I miss her too!” Tony answered and carefully sat up little bit.
“You know when I was lying in the other room and thought that would be the end. I knew one thing, I was never more sure about a decision I made then the one concerning you and Lily. I knew that if I’d die, she would be safe and protected with you!”
He coughed loudly.
“Hey, don’t talk about it! You’re fine, you’re getting home soon and Lily and I are gonna take care of you.” He carefully gave Tony a kiss on his forehead. “Everything is going to be fine now!”
The next day Abby and a nervous Lily were entering the hospital. As soon as she was lying next to her dad she calmed down:
“Daddy you have to be more careful. You’re always getting hurt!” Lily said severe.
“I know honey, I am sorry!” Tony turned his head and gave his daughter a kiss on the hair.
“How’s your time with Abby, honey?”
“It’s okay I guess. But I wanna go home; I wanna sleep in your bed with you. When are you gonna come home, daddy?”
“Well, Lily, Tony has to stay here a few more days!” Gibbs answered “But I promise we’re going to go home tonight!”
“Okay!” Lily answered, snuggled closer to her daddy and explained him the artwork she had done for him at school.
When Gibbs entered Tony’s room the following day, the young agent was looking much better.
“Gibbs, we gotta talk!” Tony said as soon as his boss was sitting in the chair next to his bed.
“Okay!” Gibbs replied warily.
“I’ve thought about some things…especially that Lily had said that I’m always getting hurt.” He hesitated slightly and then the words rushed out: “So I want to talk with you about me quitting at NCIS.”
To say Gibbs was shocked would be understated. After a short break in which he scrutinized his agent he asked:
“Are you sure? You love your job!”
“Yeah, I know, but I love Lily more. I’ve already missed so much, just because she was always staying with somebody else, first with Rosa, then at childcare, now school. Hell we’ve missed her first steps, because we’ve been on the other end of the continent! I don’t want to miss more and I don’t want to risk that she’ll have to grow up without me!”
Gibbs was more than surprised. He knew that Tony really regretted that he hadn’t been able to spent more time with Lillian. For weeks and months after Rosa told them about the first unsure and wobbly steps the toddler had made, Tony was angry with himself to have missed this big event and doubted his ability as a father. It took Gibbs weeks to get him to calm down and to believe in himself again.
“You know Tony, that what ever you decide, I am standing one hundred percent behind you. But I want you to be absolute sure, because if you decide to quit, I have to find a replacement and then you can’t decide to just come back.”
“I know Gibbs. I thought about it the whole night and I am absolutely sure. I wanna stay at home for some time and then we’ll see!”
“Okay, then I’ll tell Morrow about it. But I’m really sorry about your decision " as your boss kind of view " you’re a great agent DiNozzo and I’ll miss my right hand and for you to have my six!”
“Thank you, Boss. For everything!”
“You’re very welcome. Now get better, so we can finally get you home!”
Chapter End Notes:
I actually wanted to continue with this chapter after hiatus, but I didn't like that Gibbs'd left Tony and Lily and the whole thing, so from now on (the last chapter) it's AU.

I am still looking for somebody who'd write a sequel with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!