- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Takes place a few weeks after the first two chapter.
3. Chapter: A new life and some confessions
It took a while to get into the new lifestyle. Having a baby around wasn’t something Tony had ever thought to experience. Now his life revolved around this small creature. After a few weeks off he had found an adequate childminder. With the help of Gibbs he found Rosa, an old Mexican woman who took care of Lily when he was working.
There were times when he wondered if it was still necessary to keep his own flat. Most of the time Lily and himself stayed with his Boss. He couldn’t tell how thankful he was for all the things the older man did for him. He helped in every possible way. He took care that Tony could go home at reasonable times so he would have some time with Lily every day.
Tony loved the moments when both men where at home and he could observe Jethro handle the little girl. This man, who lost his whole family in one second, gave Lily so much love and care and seemed to enjoy the time he got with her as if she was his own.
In one of the moments Tony knew he did the right decision to come to his boss in this one fateful night and the next morning he went to his lawyer to make Gibbs the next of kin not only for Lily but also for himself. He was sure if something would happen to himself he wouldn’t have found a better place for his little girl.
DiNozzo and Lillian had spent the night with Gibbs again. The Marine had set up his guest room so that next to the bed was now standing a small crib and some toys had found their way in a small corner next to a handmade changing table and a rocking chair.
Tony joked sometimes that this room is nicer than his own bedroom in his own flat.
Today was an important day for the three of them. They wanted to take Lily with them to the office. Nobody except Morrow knew about this addition and they had decided to get settled first before they let the others know about the little girl.
Tony arranged his idea’s and left his bed. Lily wasn’t in her crib so he knew that Gibbs was already awake. He put on some sweats and a shirt and walked in the kitchen were Gibbs were reading the paper and had his compulsory coffee in his hand. Lily was in her play place on the floor trying to reach one of the toys which were hanging in front of her.
“Morning Boss!” Tony greeted and than crouched down to greets his daughter and gave her a kiss on the forehead.
Gibbs observed the two and smiled to himself. Who would have thought that the womanizer Anthony DiNozzo would be so great with an infant?
“And ready for today?” he asked after a while and pushed a second cup of coffee to his roommate.
“Well as ready as I’ll be!” Tony answered unsure. Although Gibbs told him more than once that it didn’t matter what other people thought about their arrangements and that at least Ducky and Abs would have a blast and be happy for them.
An hour later they were standing in the elevator at the NCIS headquarter. Lily was asleep in a car seat in Gibbs hand and Tony was standing next to him nervously jumping from one leg to the other.
“DiNozzo. For the last time stop it. You’re giving me a headache.”
They decided to visit Abby first and had told Blackadder, Ducky and Palmer to meet them there.
Soon the lift came to a stop and they left for Abby’s lab surprised about the silence. Normally you could hear the music the moment you leave the elevator but today it was as silent as a grave.
When they entered they saw the four standing next to one of Abby’s machines into a huddle and obviously talking about the reason why Gibbs summoned this meeting.
“Morning!” he said out loud and observed how they startled and turned to them. The forensic scientist saw the carrier first and let out a loud squeal.
“Oh my god who’s that?” she bounced to the baby and looked down “she’s such a cutie. Where did you found her?”
The other three followed her example and came close to take a look at the infant who was now awake and looked at them with curious eyes.
“Well…” Tony cleared his throat “this is Lily, my daughter.” The reactions were really different. Vivian Blackadder started to laugh and couldn’t stop; sure this was all a joke. Nobody with a clear head would give DiNozzo a child to take care of.
Abby squealed again and throw her arms around Tony and pulled him in a hug. Ducky slapped the young man’s back and observed Gibbs who still had the baby in his hands and throw a dark look at his second agent. Gerald had knelt down and played with the little girl who tried to grab one of his big fingers in her own.
After some time Gibbs cleared his throat and looked at his team. Abby and Gerald had took the carrier and put it on a table and kept the baby occupied, who had Gerald’s index in her mouth and hold tight on Abby thump while Gibbs, Tony and Ducky talked about important examination and good doctors. Blackadder had stand some minutes close by not sure what to do and then had left for her desk.
“Okay guys, back to work.” Gibbs took the carrier back and turned to Ducky
“Would you mind to take care of her for a while? Our nanny will come in an hour to pick her up.”
“It would be my pleasure!” the old doctor answered and took the car seat while Gerald took the small bag and they left for the autopsy.
Abby hugged Tony and Gibbs one last time and then went back to her work. The both agents also left for their work
“See it wasn’t hard at all” Gibbs said and patted Tony's back.
Chapter End Notes:
I'm not having a beta reader yet, so there still could be mistakes and everything.