- Text Size +
4. chapter: The first undercover assignment
Tony tossed and turned in the small bed of his motel room. How he hated this part of his job. For six weeks he was away from Gibbs and Lily with no contact, no picture, nothing. He was undercover in a group of arms broker with no knowledge how long this assignment will still last. It was 3 in the morning and he was sleepless. Normally he would sleep with Lily next to him. The small infant always in reach and now he hadn’t seen her for such a long time, didn’t know what she was doing, if she was healthy. In 13 days it was her first birthday and he just hoped that he would be back by then. What father was he if he wasn’t even at home for her birthday? He knew that she wouldn’t grasp the significant for this day but nevertheless he hoped that they all would have a little get- together: Gibbs, Abs, Ducky and Gerald, his team, their family.
He turned again and stopped trying to get back to sleep he slowly walked to the old sofa just a few feed away, sat down and turned on the TV, just to have an occupation and not have to think about his little girl so many miles away.
72 hours later Tony had Lily back in his arms. Suddenly everything was going really fast. A new order for some missiles, a meeting in an abandoned part of the port, the appearance of NCIS, FBI and local police and the big shoot-out. Now he was lying in his hospital bed, his daughter lying on his chest in deep sleep and Gibbs in the chair next to him.
“How long do I have to be here?” he asked and looked to his team leader.
“Few days!” was the answer “the graze at the arm is really harmless, they gave you some stitches. No big movements but its fine. The through and through at your thigh is a different story. Some muscles are concerned and they want to keep you to be sure there won’t be an infection. When you’re discharged you’ll need to do some rehab and no work for some time after that a few weeks desk work. But they say that there’s no permanent damage.”
“Good, good…ohm…will I be…”
“Yeah you will be at home in time for the big day!” Gibbs laughed and looked at the two people who became so important for him in the last year.
Slowly Tony lost his fight with the sleep, they had given him some meds and his eyes became small.

“Go to sleep Tony, we’ll be here when you wake up again!” Gibbs assured and slowly stroke the insured man’s arm.
Ten days later everybody was assembled in Gibbs living room. The birthday girl was dressed in a small green dress, fitting to the colour of her eyes which she undoubtedly inherited of her father, and was sitting on Ducky’s lab, laughing about the faces Abby made next to her. On the small coffee table were mountains of presents and Lily already tried to eat the ribbons which is why Ducky and Abs occupied her while Jethro and Gerald where bringing the cake and the coffee. Tony was sitting on one of the armchairs, his crutches next to him and observed his little girl who was laughing and looking so happy. What would have happened if this whole assignment would have had a different ending? He couldn’t imagine this and concentrated again on the situation in front of him. Happy about their team and their friendship.
“Okay everybody, let’s eat cake!” Gibbs came in the room; put some last silverware on the big table in front of the panorama window.
Ducky, Abby and Gerald who brought the last plates followed his order and sat down, Lily in her highchair at the head of the table, next to the chairs of Gibbs and Tony.
DiNozzo slowly made his way to his chair, kissed his daughter on the head and helped her with her small bottle.
In the middle of the table was the birthday cake Gibbs had ordered at a bakery. It was a big chocolate cake with strawberries and the words “Happy Birthday Lily” on it.
While Abby distributed the pieces Gibbs made some photos of their big girl.
One year already he still could remember the night when he had met her for the first time and now she was already one.
Since Tony’s discharge they all lived in Gibbs’ house, DiNozzo was in no way capable to take care of himself and the infant, so Gibbs’ took some time off to help him. He liked that they lived with him permanently and not for just one or two nights. His house was busy again and he couldn’t imagine when it would be over again. This is way he wanted to ask his senior agent to move in with him. It wouldn’t be a problem at all. He had more than enough space and in summer Lily could easily play in the garden and they could build some playground equipments, sand-box, a swing set and a slide. He wanted to wait until their guests would be back home and then he would ask the question, but for now, there was a big cake which needed to be eaten.