- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Lily's ill
9. Chapter: Bad news

Shortly after the meeting with Caitlin Todd the two men had a hard time. Lily got seriously ill. She had a high fever and was very cranky. She wouldn’t let go of her two guardians and didn’t stay with Rosa at all. The men tried to get more time but it was hard, ‘cause they had to train Kate for the work at NICS. Finally they decided that Tony would take some time off to stay at home, while Gibbs returned to work. They hadn’t told Kate about the little girl so it wasn’t easy to find an excuse. Jethro could hardly concentrate at work, something that nearly never happened to him, and he worried very much about his daughter. Caitlin, ever the profiler, noticed the abstraction of her new boss and couldn’t help to stop herself from asking:
“Everything okay, Gibbs?”
“Sure. Everything is fine!” was the grumpy answer. Although she didn’t work for long at her new job, she knew not to ask again. A grumpy Gibbs was always dangerous and she didn’t know what to do. Normally Tony would help to distract the bad mood but he left for a few days on private business. Though Caitlin had the feeling that the others of the team knew what was going on with her colleague nobody told her something and she didn’t dared to ask. Maybe she wasn’t really in the team yet. For lunch Abby was coming to the office, Bert in on hand and walked to the desk of their team leader.
“How is she?” she silently asked but Kate could understand every word.
“Not good, her fever still high and the meds aren’t really helping. Doc said that the next days decide if she has to go to the hospital or not.”
“Damm it, she didn’t deserved that. How are you and Tony holding up?”
“Well, Tony is totally scared, he’s hardly sleeping or eating, and when I’m home it is as if I have to take care of two!”
“Who could mind, he loves her more than anything.”
“I know. I…I know the feeling to loose the one you love with all you heart and I pray every night that Tony don’t need to go through this. And I don’t want to have to do it a second time.”
“Oh Gibbs!” Abby pulled Gibbs in a hug “you won’t both of you. It will be fine soon, believe me!”
“Thanks Abs, I hope so!”
“Well what do you think about going home and take care of your two guys. I’ll take care of Morrow. Just go home!”
“I think you’re right. I should be at home with them.”
And so Gibbs packed his bag, gave Abby a kiss on the cheek, nodded to a dumbfounded Kate and left the office.
Kate couldn’t grip what had happened. Gibbs and Tony live together? They have somebody they love who’s seriously ill? Who was this mysterious person and in what relations where Gibbs and DiNozzo?
While she was still thinking about the conversation Director Morrow came to her desk and told her that she could go home and that she would work with Anderson’s team for the next days because of Gibb’s absence for personal reasons.
Chapter End Notes:
Sorry, that it took me so long. it is absolutely chaotic at the moment and in addition I'm having problems coming up with new ideas for chapters. So if you have an idea, just let me know!