- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Kate and Abby discuss relationships over some margarita mix. Abby feels let down after a revelation from Kate
It’s Written In The Cards
I know something about love; you’ve got to want it back
If that guy’s got into your blood; go out and get him
If you want him to be the very part of you that makes you want to breathe
Here’s the thing to do
Tell him that you’re never gonna leave him
Tell him that you’re always gonna love him
Tell him, tell him, tell him, tell him right now

After a few trying cases at work, the most recent being in which the team had flown to Colombia to save a Marine and take down a CIA turncoat. Then, over the past two days had been another case also involving the CIA and their satellite technician’s habit of spying on nude sunbathers. Between the two, Kate had almost got herself, as well as Gibbs and Tony killed, and was thankful for the rest.
It hadn’t completely been her fault; she was pulled in by the victim, Suzanne McNeill, since her lies had been consistent. Naturally, Gibbs had tried to warn her, but Kate’s headstrong attitude lead her to believe what Suzanne was telling her. She deeply regretted her actions, and was also thankful that her team had survived the blast.
Tonight, however, she was hanging out with Abby. What with their recent cases, they hadn’t had the chance for a decent gossip and the fact that Tony was usually lurking round the corner eavesdropping trying to gather blackmail material on his girls. Abby had shown up at Kate’s apartment at seven with her tarot cards and margarita mix, determined to slough off work, get drunk and tell Kate’s future.
A few hours and margaritas later, Abby was trying to teach Kate how to read tarot cards without success. Kate, having lost that wide eyed wonder of the world and not being a believer was one thing, but the amount of alcohol coursing through their veins certainly wasn’t helping matters.
“I don’t know how to read tarot cards, Abbs!”
“Just try it. Come on, it’ll be fun.”
Grudgingly, Kate picked up the deck of fancy cards and began turning them and making a mockery of what was laid before her.
“Okay…well there’s a crazy old lady that keeps showing up and a…”
Having turned the second card, Kate was slightly taken aback. She didn’t believe in fate, or coincidences, she just took things how they were. The card before her though clearly depicted that of a knight in shining armour, but she’d already met hers. Or rather, her marine with silver hair.
“And a what?”
“A knight in shining armour.”
Abby immediately began giggling, thinking that this was one of the most funniest things she’d ever seen and heard in her life. She had so badly wanted her best friend to realise that there was someone absolutely perfect for her in life, and perhaps this was the way to do it.
At work, Abby had seen how both Tony and Gibbs responded to Kate; whether it be her attitude or her looks, but knew Gibbs had the strongest response to the feisty woman. She was dead set on somehow getting Kate and Gibbs together, and once Abby had her mind set there was no stopping her. She’d also noticed the sparkle that Kate had recently acquired in her eyes and knew that someone had caught her attention recently.
“This is so yours!”
“What?! Why?”
“Because you’ve got a twinkle in your eyes and you’ve either got diamante contacts or you’re in love.”
“Well, I don’t wear contacts.”
“Oh my god! Kate’s in love! How did I not know this? Who is it? Is it Tony?”
“God no. It’s just someone…I know.”
“Yeah…and?”
“He’s just someone I had the pleasure of meeting a while ago, that’s all. We see a lot of each other and we talk practically every day.”
Yeah, when he’s in a good mood, Kate thought to herself.
“And he’s just so handsome and passionate. Especially about his work. But Abby, seriously…I’ve never met anyone quite like him before.”
“Does he feel the same about you?”
“I don’t know. We’ve never actually spoke about it.”
Kate lowered her head. She could just imagine the conversation she’d have with Gibbs after she’d told him she loved him. Her thoughts drifted back to the night he offered her the job, telling her that if she pulled that crap at NCIS she wouldn’t have the chance to resign.
“Okay…honey I’m worried about you because you’re turning into a little bit of a freak. And I think it’s from not having sex.”
“Look, just because I haven’t been in a relationship for a while doesn’t mean I’m miserable. I just want a sweet guy. Someone who‘s strong but who opens a door once in a while and who…notices things. You know. Maybe makes a difference.”
“Aww…that is so sweet.”
“And I really think this guy is the sweet yet strong, difference making observer that I’m looking for.”
“So how are you gonna tell him?”
“I have no idea.”
“I do! Give me his name and number and I’ll tell him for you!”
“That’s just the thing though, I think he already knows, I just don’t know what to do about it.”
“Tell him…Anyway, I am so drunk and so tired.”
“Me too. Crash here.”
“You sure?”
“Yes. You’re in no condition to drive and it’s not all that safe getting a cab this late at night. Well…this early in the morning. So then, it‘s settled. You‘ll take a bed and I‘ll take a bed.”
“Done deal.”
Placing their empty glasses in the kitchen, Kate stumbled after Abby, heading into her own room to dream of Gibbs while Abby headed to the spare room, which she had practically moved into to formulate a plan to help her best friend out.
Damn, she thought, I really thought I could get Kate and Gibbs together…