- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Can the terrorist be blamed for the break-up of are they saving themselves from a divorce?
The Breakup
Bete Noire
The day started out like no other. Kate took a box down to Ducky and that’s when everyone’s lives would change forever.
What she didn’t know was that Ducky and Gerald were being held hostage by a terrorist who had snuck in by a body bag.
It felt like forever that they were stuck down there not able to call for help. Gibbs felt helpless as he could not get down to them.
The day ended with Gibbs and Gerald taken to hospital.
Kate stayed by Gibbs’ bedside until she had to take him home.
They sat at the dinning table not talking. She couldn’t take the silence anymore.
“ We should talk about” she started.
“ There’s nothing to talk about” he snapped.
“ Gibbs there is a hole lot to talk about”
“ I don’t want to ok” he said getting up from the table. She didn’t know what came over but she just snapped.
“ You don’t but I do. Your not the only one who got caught in the middle of this. Do you know how scared and helpless I felt? Being so close to a man that could easily take your life away and not being able to do a damn thing about it” she started.
“ Kate stop”
“ No. Do you know what it was like to see him shoot Gerald with my own gun” she was upset and angry at the same time. She didn’t want to show him how upset she was.
“ Do you know what it was like not being able to help at all?” Gibbs yelled back. Kate looked at him.
“ You always think its about you because you’re the women of the team but Kate, that’s not going to save you”. She froze. She couldn’t believe he said that. She knew she loved him but right now she wanted to kill him. She didn’t say anything. She walked into the bedroom, grabbed her bag and started packing her clothes. He walked in.
“ What are you doing?”
“ Leaving”
“ Kate”
“ No Gibbs. Seriously do you think I would stay with you after you said that. I don’t know why I even thought you were different. You never want to talk about anything, you never want to do anything with me. Do you even want t be in a relationship with me?” she asked looking at him. He didn’t say anything.
“ All you want is someone to live with you, to sleep with you and who will cook you diner. I need more then that” she said as she grabbed her bag and walked out. She got in the car and had no idea where to go. She decided to go to Abby’s.
As she turned into her driveway she had a feeling she wasn’t home. She got out and rang the doorbell. No answer. She rang it again. Still no answer.
‘ Great’ she thought to herself. She got back into her car and had no idea where to go. She thought about Ducky’s but there was the little problem of his mother. The only person left was Tony.
She arrived out the front of Tony’s apartment building. She got out and walked up to the door and pressed his buzzer.
“ What?” came his sleepy voice.
“ Tony its me. Can I come up?” she asks softly.
“ Kate go home” he says.
“ Tony please. I need someone right now” she pleads with him.
“ Fine” he says then buzzes her in. she makes his way to his door and he is there waiting for her. She walks in and is shown over to the couch.
“ Thankyou so much. I didn’t know where else to go” she said.
“ What about back to Gibbs?” he asked sitting on the coffee table in front of her.
“ We…I broke up with him” she said looking down at the ground.
“ Oh Kate, I know he can be a bastard but he loves you” he told her.
“ How do you know? He’s never told me that.”
“ Why did you guys break up?”
“ We had a fight”
“ You guys always fight”
“ Tony this one was big” she said half laughing.
“ What happened?”
“ Well I wanted to talk about what had happened and he didn’t want to. I said we should but he said he didn’t want and I don’t know what happened. I just went off at him saying that it wasn’t just him that got hurt and that maybe I need to talk about what happened and it went on from there. He actually had the guts to tell me that I always think its about me because I’m a women and that it wasn’t going to save me this time. I know I love him but right now I hate him” she said and hung her head. She finally let go and the tears fell.
“ We all hate him sometimes but seriously do you think that was the right choice. Breaking up with him I mean. How will you two work together?”
“ I have no idea. All I know is I need some space from him” she said looking at him. His heart started to break as he has never seen his colleague like this before.
“ Oh Katie” he said before pulling her into a hug.
“ Look, you can stay here as long as you need to” he told her.
“ Thankyou. I want the couch” she said with a smile.
“ What’s wrong with my bed?” he asked defensively.
“ Tony we are talking about you here” she laughed.
Dead Man Talking
It has been 3 weeks since the break up and Kate and Gibbs are handling themselves pretty well. Although they don’t talk outside of work anymore they keep each other up to date during work.
Kate is trying to move on with her love life and has found a new man named Dwaine. Gibbs on the other hand hasn’t even thought about seeing another women.
It was this case that Gibbs found out that Kate was moving on.
It was when Kate and Gibbs came to check up on McGee and Tony on their shift on the stakeout and Kate’s mobile started ringing. She excused herself to answer the call. It was of course Dwaine.
Being the ears dropper he is used the electronic microphone to listen in on her conversation. She realised what he was doing and told Dwaine she would call him back before hanging up on him. She came back into the room and Tony made a comment that hurt Gibbs.
“ Someone’s in love”. She could have killed him.
When Kate and Gibbs arrived back at the office and where sitting at their desks Gibbs worked up the courage to ask her about him.
“ Who’s Dwaine?” he asked bluntly.
“ Um I don’t think that’s any of your business” she said shocked at his noisy-ness.
“ It is if its stopping you from doing your work”
“ Its not” she said and didn’t say anything else. He was jealous and she knew it.
When they had finally finished the case, Kate watched Gibbs box up Chris’ belongings. This is the Gibbs she knew. This is the Gibbs se loved. The sweet and caring Gibbs. She knew she wasn’t over him and it wasn’t fare that she was dragging Dwaine along for the ride.
That night she went home and rang Dwaine and told him that he was a nice guy but she was still caught up with her ex and didn’t want him to waste his time on her. After all she hates being the bad guy.
A Weak Link
This was a tough one. Murder or suicide. They would of never have picked suicide.
Kate met a priest during this case and thought she should go to one of his sermons. She sat there and listened to everything he said. Well she tried to anyway. Every time he said something she thought back to when her and Gibbs were together and how much she misses him and still loves him.
On the way out she tells the priest that she has faith. As she walks away she tells herself that she has faith about her and Gibbs getting back together.
She drives over to Gibbs’ place and knocks on the door. No answer. She turns the door handle and it is unlocked.
‘ Surprise, Surprise’ she thinks to herself as she enters.
“ Gibbs” she calls out but still no answer. She heads towards the back of the house and can hear sanding coming from the basement. She slowly makes her way down to the basement door. She stops at the top of the stairs and looks down at him. He is in his baggy pants and his old NIS t-shirt which she used to wear to bed. she made her way down the stairs.
“ The front door was opened” she said.
“ It always is” he said not taking his eyes off the wooden panel he was sanding.
“ I know” she replied as she reached the bottom of the stairs. She made her way over to him.
“ What do you want?” he asked as he stopped sanding but still not looking at her as he knew how beautiful she would look.
“ I just want to talk”
“ Yeah and you remember how that ended last time you said that”
“ You don’t have to say anything. Just listen to what I have to say. Please” she added. He finally turned around and looked at her. He was right. She was beautiful. She placed her bag on the bench next to her.
“ I know it has been a rough couple of weeks and I know we both said some aw full things that we may have not meant” she started. He didn’t say anything, just kept staring at her.
“ I came here to tell you that I am sorry for everything I said and did and that I still love you and I want to be with you” she said with a soft smile. He still didn’t say anything. He moved closer to her. She could smell him. He smelt of saw dust and coffee and she loved it. He reached out and moved a piece of hair out of her face.
“ What abut Dwaine?” he asked softly. She smiled.
“ Over before it began” she told him. He finally smiled.
“ Good” he whispered before finally kissing her. Oh how she’s missed this.
Their hands were all over each other and she couldn’t wait any longer. She started to move towards the stairs and she pulled him with her. Once he caught on what she wanted to happen he didn’t hold back. He picked her up and she wrapped her legs around his waist as he took them into the bedroom.
He laid her down on the bed and they undressed each other as quickly as possible.
Gibbs stopped kissing her and looked into her eyes.
“ Kate”
“ Yeah” she breathed.
“ I love you” he finally said. She smiled and pulled him closer.
They spent the night making up for what they had missed out on over the past 3 weeks.
Reveille
Gibbs woke up early that morning and headed to the office. He feel asleep and had the worst dream ever but didn’t let anyone know about it.
He awoke to the sounds of Abby and McGee’s voices.
As the day progressed his mood went from bad to worse as he found out that Kate did not have oysters for lunch like she said. It then hit him that the terrorist had her. He was pissed and had no idea how to get her back. He had to involve the FBI and he did.
Gibbs met Ari in autopsy and it was just like his dream as he came to the body bag on the slab. He held his breath as he un-zipped it and he let out a breath as his dream did not come true and it was not Kate in that body bag.
He pulled out his gun and shot Ari in the should just like he did to him.
While that was happening down stairs, upstairs everyone was hugging Kate and telling them how glad they were that she was back safely. She got Ducky to fix up her lip as she didn’t want to make a fuss and go to hospital.
As he fixed her lip all she could think about was Gibbs. No one knows that they are back on so she didn’t feel obliged to ask where he was. It was when they heard a ding of the elevator that they all froze and looked to the back elevator. Gibbs appeared with his head down and not wanting to connect with the awaiting eyes.
Kate’s heart started to beat again as she see saw him and he seemed to be fine. As he entered the bullpen he looked up and saw her. He stopped and looked t her, relief filling him. She got off her desk and slowly walked over to him. Everyone watching to see what will happen. He made his way to her and they met in the middle of the bullpen and stopped. Her eyes ran over him to make sure he was ok and his did the same. He brought hi hand to her face.
“ Did he hit you?” he asked softly.
“ No , he didn’t. Don’t worry. I’m ok now” she said with a smile. He smiled to and leaned in and kissed her. She threw her arms around him and didn’t let go.
Ducky, Abby, McGee and Tony watched in surprise.
“ Well they are obviously back on” Tony pointed out.