- Text Size +
When he walked back into the hospital room with the pizza’s Gibbs instantly knew something was bugging Tony.

“What’s wrong?” he asked. Of course it wasn’t half obvious since Tony’s face threw the others an idea that something had gotten to him.

“Nothing,” Tony lied. Gibbs gave him a look and Tony shook his head. They all started eating without another word.

“God, this is better than that crap they call food here,” Gibbs said before taking another slice. Tony smiled, he should tell Gibbs what he thought he saw but it would have to wait til everybody left.

“Ah crap,” McGee said as he looked at the time.

“What?” Abby asked.

“I’m late for a book convention,” McGee said before realising he’d said it out loud.

“Wrote another book did we?” Tony asked, one eyebrow raised.

“No, but someone else did,” McGee said before leaving. Abby’s phone rang.

“Hello,” she said.

“Really?”

“Ok, I’ll be there in 10,” she said before hanging up.

“Me and my nun’s just got a spot in the bowling tournament, someone else dropped out, see ya,” Abby said as she left. Tony thought this was working perfectly, now he just needed Ziva to leave.

“Well, now what?” Ziva asked.

“Ducky came to see me,” Gibbs said.

“Oh yeah,” Tony said.

I bet Ducky’s in on this as well. Tony thought bitterly.

“I need to get some air,” Tony said as he walked to the door.

“You alright?” Gibbs asked.

“Yep,” Tony said as he left. He walked outside and paced around the footpath. He groaned and looked up. It was getting darker by the second. He followed the paths which lead to the hospital courtyard and garden. He went to push the gate open and noticed it was locked. He sighed and jumped it. Walking into the garden he couldn’t help but think about that face.

“No,” he said out loud in frustration.

“No what?” Ziva asked.

“Oh, hi, nothing,” Tony said as he sat on the bench.

“Gibbs is worried about you,” she said as she sat with him.

“He doesn’t need to be,” Tony replied.

“And I’m worried about you,” Ziva said as she looked around.

“Ziva,” he said.

“Tony, you came back looking like you saw a goat... Ghost, sorry,” she said.

“I...” he couldn’t think of anything to say.

“Go talk to Gibbs, oh and get some sleep, we have a surprise for you,” Ziva said as she walked off. Tony’s expression became puzzled.

A surprise? He thought as he walked back inside and into Gibbs’ room.

“Come here,” Gibbs said as Tony walked in.

“Jethro, I need to talk,” Tony said, his chest pounding.

“Ok,” Gibbs said as he patted the bed. Tony sat on the bed.

“When I went to get the pizza’s...” he didn’t want to ruin his relationship with Gibbs, should he tell him?

“Yeah,” Gibbs urged him on.

“Well, I saw...” his hands started to shake slightly. This wasn’t right, he shouldn’t be affected like this.

“Tony, breathe,” Gibbs said. Tony snapped back and took a breath.

There must be something really wrong, he forgot to breathe. Gibbs thought to himself, alarmed that he had to tell Tony to breathe.

“I saw...” and again he couldn’t say what he saw.

“It’s ok,” Gibbs comforted and pulled Tony down. Tony held onto Gibbs and sighed. How much longer could he keep it bottled up before he let it out? Gibbs ran his fingers through Tony’s hair.

“Go home, get some sleep,” Gibbs said after a while.

“I... Ok,” Tony said reluctantly getting up from the bed.

“I love you,” Gibbs said as he kissed Tony.

“I love you too,” Tony said. He went home and everything seemed quiet, too quiet. He turned the radio on low and went to bed. Remarkably he fell asleep without any worries.

Again he woke to Gibbs’ alarm. And again he dragged himself to the kitchen to eat breakfast. He went and relaxed in the shower before going to work. When he walked in he was shocked to see Gibbs sitting behind his desk.

“Jethro, what are you doing here? Did you escape?” Tony asked as he bent down next to Gibbs.

“I didn’t escape from prison, I got discharged,” he said, a slight laugh in his words.

“Oh, why didn’t you ring me?” Tony asked.

“Surprise number one,” Ziva said as she smiled. Tony turned to see Ziva standing behind him.

“There’s more?’ Tony asked.

“Sure is,” Gibbs said as he went to get up, only he sat back down.

“Help me up,” he said unwillingly, a pout on his face. Tony helped him up and the pout faded from Gibbs’ face.

“Autopsy,” Gibbs said. They headed down to find Ducky and Jimmy waiting in autopsy.

“On the 5th of May,” Gibbs started. Tony nodded for Gibbs to continue.

“Will you marry me?” Gibbs asked.

“Yes,” Tony said unconsciously. Gibbs smiled.

“Wait here,” Gibbs ordered. He and Ziva left, leaving Tony, Ducky and Jimmy behind in autopsy.

“Why are you smiling like that?’ Tony questioned Jimmy and Ducky.

“Well,” Ducky began only yob r interrupted by the phone.

“Autopsy,” he answered. He put the phone down and walked back to Tony.

“My dear boy, to Abby’s lab,” Ducky said. They headed to Abby’s lab. When they walked in Tony noticed Gibbs wasn’t there, nor was Abby. Ziva and McGee were smiling, soon joined by Ducky and Jimmy.

“He hasn’t gone anywhere,” McGee said answering Tony’s silent question.

“Tony,” Gibbs said from the door way. Tony looked around and smiled. A gleam of happiness shone in Gibbs’ eyes. He went to speak but Gibbs silenced him.

“Tony DiNozzo...” he started. Tony started to fidget. Gibbs stepped back out into the hallway.

“Go say hi to your dad,” Gibbs said. Tony’s heart jumped and couldn’t believe what he was hearing. A chocolate haired girl shyly walked in followed by Gibbs who was holding a baby.

“Daddy,” the little girl said sweetly. Tony’s eyes glazed over with tears as she came over to him. He picked her up and she clung to him.

“So, you like the surprise?” Gibbs asked as he walked over to Tony.

“I love it,” Tony said as he put his head on Gibbs’ shoulder. He rubbed Tony’s back as he let the tears flow. After a few minutes Tony lifted his head and turned to the others.

“Thank you,” he said as he hugged each of them.

“Let’s go home,” Gibbs suggested.

“Here, take Kaushal,” Gibbs said as he handed Tony the little boy who was smiling. Tony took him and smiled when he reach up to touch his face. Gibbs picked up Rani and they all headed for the elevator. As they walked into the car park Director Vance was walking towards them.

“Going somewhere Special Agents Gibbs and DiNozzo?” he asked.

“Home,” Gibbs answered blatantly.

“Why?’ Vance asked.

“To spend time with my family,” he replied.

“And if a case comes along?” Vance questioned.

“Then Abby, Ducky and Jimmy can baby sit,” Tony answered. Everyone smiled.

“Our children will not be staying here when we have nothing better to do than sit around and twiddle our thumbs,” Gibbs said sternly.

“I’m your boss, I’ll tell you what you can and can’t do Special Agent Gibbs,” Vance said, standing up to Gibbs.

“We’re leaving,” Gibbs said as he turned on his heels. Vance said nothing, just walked off.

“Go Bossman,” Abby said. He smiled at her before turning to Tony.

“Let’s go home,” he said, a smile in his eye and on his face.

“Yeah,” Tony said happily. They drove home both with smiles plastered on their faces.

“Come on sweetie,” Gibbs said as he took Rani’s hand. They walked into the house.

“Jethro, the kids need rooms,” Tony said as he started to feel a panicky feeling.

“Done,” Gibbs smiled. They walked to the guest room and Tony found that it was now half pink, half blue.

“Wow,” Tony said as they walked in. He put Kaushal on the floor next to a toy box and started playing with him. Gibbs smiled as he watched Tony play with the little boy who laughed happily every time he tickled him. He smiled wider as he watched the little girl brushing a dolls hair. He walked out the door; Tony needed time with his kids.

“Dad, where are you going?” Rani asked from the door way.

“I was going to go and build a boat,” Gibbs told her.

“Can I help?” she asked sweetly.

“Sure, but let’s get you one of my old t-shirts so you don’t ruin your dress,” he said as he picked her up. He slid the shirt over her dress; since the shirt was obviously too big she had trouble walking. They went down into the basement and he helped her sand the boat off.

Xxx...Flashback...xxX
He put his hands over her small hands and helped her sand the side of the boat. She laughed happily.

“Daddy, I’m doing it,” she yelled excitedly.

“Soon, you’ll be able to do it all by yourself,” he told her.

“What if I ruin in?” she asked innocently.

“You won’t,” he reassured her. He looked to the stairs to see his wife, standing there smiling as she watched them sand the boat together.


Xxx...End Flashback...xxX

“Look Daddy, I’m doing it,” Rani smiled with happiness.

“Yeah, you are,” Gibbs smiled.

“Soon, you will be able to sand the boat on your own,” he said knowing what he next lines would be.

“But what if I ruin it?” she asked.

“You won’t,” he said then instinctively turned his head to the stairs. He saw Tony standing there with Kaushal, he was smiling as he watched them. He gave Tony a smile before he took Rani’s hand and they went upstairs.

The rest of the day passed. The house was filled with laughter and happiness. They had their first dinner together as a family. At 8.00 they took the kids to their room.

“Daddy, can you read us a story?” Rani asked as Tony kissed her forehead.

“Ok, what would you like me to read?” he asked as he sat on the chair near the bookcase.

“Alice in Wonderland,” she said as she smiled.

“Ok, Alice in Wonderland it is,” Tony said as he pulled out the shortened version. He started ready and soon both he and Gibbs were reading a page each.

“The end,” Tony said.

“Thank you Daddy,” she said as Tony kissed her again.

“I love you princess,” he said as he walked to the baby boy who was fast asleep.

“I love you too Daddy,” she said before he left. Gibbs walked over to Rani and kissed her before going to the little boy and tucking him in.

“Good night sweetie,” he said at the doorway.

“Goodnight Daddy,” she said. Gibbs walked into the bedroom and got into bed with Tony.

“I saw the way you were looking at Rani down in the basement,” Tony said.

“She’ll be building boats in no time,” Gibbs smiled.

“Shannon and Kelly would be proud of you,” Tony said as he laid his head on Gibbs’ chest.

“I know,” Gibbs said quietly. They fell asleep, smiles on faces, love in their veins.