- Text Size +
He snuck inside knowing Gibbs would know he was home. He could hear the kids laughing and when he peeked into the living room he saw the smiling. Gibbs’ smile was wider than ever as he played with them. Tony yearned to be in there with them but didn’t want to ruin their fun, so he went off into the kitchen and sifted through the cupboard and fridge until he found what they would have for dinner.

Gibbs could hear Tony in the kitchen but wasn’t about to go and talk to him. After an hour Tony came to the living room door.

“Dinner’s ready,” he said, making sure he didn’t make eye contact with Gibbs.

“Daddy,” Rani said as she ran up to him. He picked her up and carried her into the kitchen, he sat her in front of a plate and she started eating. Gibbs came in with Kaushal and placed him in his highchair before sitting down and feeding him.

“You want me to do that, your dinner will get cold,” Tony said softly.

“No, it’s fine,” Gibbs said as he continued to feed Kaushal. Tony didn’t say anything else. When Gibbs finished feeding Kaushal and ate his dinner Tony took the plates and washed up. Gibbs took the kids to their room and continued playing with them. Once again bedtime rolled around and Gibbs put the kids in bed. He read them a story minus Tony this time. He walked into his room and noticed Tony wasn’t in there but he didn’t take much notice, just got changed and went downstairs to work on his boat.

Tony sat in the living room and heard Gibbs go downstairs. He knew he had to go and face him sooner or later but didn’t know if he would be able to keep himself together. He forced himself off the couch and to the stairs.

No, talk to him when he’s in a better mood. He thought to himself. It was like an internal battle of himself. Without thinking again he walked down the stairs and waited at the bottom. Gibbs didn’t take his eye off the boat or say anything. Tony knew he was really pissed off.

“Jethro,” he said softly. Again Gibbs kept working on his boat.

“I... Jethro I...” he didn’t know what to say. Gibbs stopped sanding the boat and turned to Tony.

“You what Tony?” Gibbs asked, his voice like a thousand icicles and when the words hit Tony they stung.

“I... I’m sorry,” Tony said as he sat on the bottom step.

“You’re sorry?” Gibbs asked mockingly.

“Yes,” Tony said, he could feel himself breaking.

“You think you can just keep seeing her? You think I’m ok with that?” Gibbs asked, his voice full of anger.

“Jethro, please just...” Gibbs stopped Tony.

“No Tony, I have had it up to here with you reopening old wounds because sooner or later she’s gonna have you wrapped around her little finger then she’s gonna do it all over again, you’re gonna come crying to me and your friends, it’s gonna be like déjà vu but this time we have kids,” Gibbs said coldly.

“Jethro, I’m not going to...” Gibbs cut him off again.

“No, we are getting married in 2 weeks and you think you can spend all your time with her? Please, tell me now if you want to be with her so I can cancel the plans because I don’t want to pay for something that won’t happen,” Gibbs said, his voice getting louder as he spoke.

“Jethro, we will get married, we aren’t going to break up,” Tony said quickly.

“Do you know how much this is hurting me Tony?” Gibbs asked as he threw the sandpaper at the wall.

“Yes, I know and I’m sorry,” Tony said as he stood up.

“No, I don’t think you do because seeing you two there laughing, smiling with each other I think maybe you are stupid enough to get back with her and maybe, just maybe you are only staying with me because of the kids,” Gibbs said as he sat on the stool.

“Jethro, I love you, please don’t think that,” Tony said, not quite game enough to move closer towards Gibbs.

“Do you Tony? Because right now it sure as hell doesn’t feel like it,” Gibbs raged as he stood up.

“Jethro, don’t be like that, please just let me explain,” Tony pleaded.

“I don’t wanna hear what you two have been doing because I’m fed up with it,” Gibbs said harshly.

“Jethro, I just want to sort things out,” Tony said, again his voice thick with a pleading tone.

“Until she is well and truly gone from your life the wedding is postponed,” Gibbs said angrily before running past Tony and upstairs. Tony stood there in horror, he couldn’t believe what he had heard.

He walked upstairs and snatched the keys from the table near the door. He drove, he knew that Abby and everyone was angry at him but right now he felt like they could comfort him. He pulled up at Abby’s to realise that she wasn’t there. So his next thought was McGee’s and when he pulled up he noticed everyone’s cars parked in front of the apartment building. He ran up the stairs to McGee’s apartment. He took a few deep breaths before knocking on the door. By now the words had really sunk in and he was crying, he didn’t want things to be like this.

“Tony,” Abby said slightly alarmed when she opened the door.

“I’m sorry Abbs,” he said hoarsely through sobs.

“I just want you to know that the wedding’s off,” he said. All he wanted was someone to hug him, but he knew he wouldn’t get that.

“What? When did that happen?” she said astonished.

“Not long ago,” he said before walking back towards the stairs.

“Tony wait,” Abby yelled as she ran after him. He stopped and she spun him around.

“Tony...” she said before wrapping her arms around him and holding him tight.

“This isn’t right,” she whispered.

“I better go,” Tony said as he pulled away.

“I guess the couch is better than nothing,” Abby said as she tried to give Tony the smile he needed.

“Oh, I’m not going home, I’m staying at a motel for as long as needed,” he said.

“No, you’re going home to work things out,” Abby demanded.

“No I’m not,” he replied.

“Yes you are,” Ziva said as she walked out into the hallway with them. McGee, Ducky and Jimmy filed out into the hallway as well.

“But... He hates me, I can’t blame him,” Tony said as he looked away from their looks.

“He’s just hurt,” Abby said as she went over to Tony and pulled him back out to his car.

“Drive,” she ordered as she got into the passenger seat. Tony drove back home and had to be dragged inside by Abby. She dragged him into the living room and sat him on the couch.

“Wait here,” she whispered. She walked into the bedroom to see Gibbs asleep in bed. She snuck over and gently shook him.

“Abby?” he asked. Then thoughts came flooding into his mind and he suddenly felt sick.

“Is Tony ok?” he asked as he sat up suddenly frightened that something had happened to Tony.

“No, he’s not; he hates himself, you two need to sort things out,” she said as she pulled him out of bed. He let himself be dragged into the living room where Tony was sitting. Gibbs looked at Tony who had his head in his hands.

“You two need to sort things out, if I come back in the morning and you two are still fighting I’ll murder you both,” she said with a warning look before leaving. Gibbs sat on the couch, still annoyed with Tony, and waited. Tony didn’t say anything; he knew Gibbs was pissed at him. 15 minutes passed and Tony sighed, he vigilantly looked at Gibbs and saw that hard line set on his face, his blue eyes like piercing ice knives.

“Jethro,” he whispered, afraid that if he spoke he would awaken the raging bear inside of Gibbs and his head would ripped from his neck, not the way he’d like to die.

“Tony,” Gibbs said although he didn’t look at him.

“I’m sorry Jethro, I know that I’ve hurt everyone but I know I’ve hurt you the most,” Tony whispered again as he inched closer.

“Yes Tony, you have hurt me... A lot,” Gibbs said as he dropped his head.

“I’m sorry,” Tony whispered. He was and he hated himself more as each silent second passed.

“I really hope that you are sorry,” Gibbs said as he looked up at Tony. Tony didn’t know what else to say and he really wished that he could think of something.

“Please, promise me that you won’t see her again,” Gibbs said as he moved closer to Tony.

“I... Jethro I promise you that I won’t see Jeanne again,” Tony said. Gibbs gave a small smile and leant his head against Tony’s.

“I hope to god you stay by that,” Gibbs whispered.

“I will,” Tony whispered back. Gibbs leant in and kissed Tony softly.

“I hope this never happens again... Ever,” Gibbs said as he looked into Tony’s eyes.

“It won’t,” Tony said. Gibbs stood up.

“I’m gonna go back to bed, care to join me?” he asked.

“Sure would,” Tony said as he stood up and took Gibbs’ hand. As they walked into the bedroom Gibbs wacked Tony over the back of the head, Tony winced and looked at Gibbs.

“What was that for?” he asked.

“For being a complete idiot,” Gibbs replied before getting into bed.

“Guess I deserved that one,” Tony said as he got in and cuddled up next to Gibbs.

“You deserve all of them,” Gibbs said as he held Tony.

“I do?” Tony asked. Gibbs just smiled as he kissed Tony’s cheek. Tony could live with that. They both fell asleep smiling.




“Do you think the weeding will be back on?”

Gibbs knew that McGee, Abby and Ziva were in their room but he didn’t open his eyes.

“Of course it will be,” Abby said. He saw a flash and knew that someone was taking pictures of them.

“Do that again and I’ll smash the camera,” he warned with his eyes still closed.

“You would never break my camera,” Abby said as she sat on the edge of the bed. Gibbs opened
his eyes and held onto the camera, Abby pulled defensively.

“Wanna bet?” he said as he let it go.

“No,” Abby said before walking back to the wall.

“What time is it?” Gibbs asked.

“8.00,” Ziva said. Gibbs nodded and smiled at them.

“The answer is yes,” Gibbs said.

“Huh?” McGee said.

“Yes, the wedding is back on, we are still getting married,” Gibbs said. Tony wriggled around under the sheets and groaned.

“Jethro, will you just shut up for another half hour, please,” Tony said as he snuggled into Gibbs’ side.

“Sure,” Gibbs said as he kissed Tony’s lips before jumping out of bed.

“I said be quiet not get out of bed,” Tony whined. Gibbs laughed as he walked out, followed by McGee, Ziva and Abby, into the living room.

“Where are the kids?” Gibbs asked.

“Ducky and Jimmy have them,” Abby smiled.

“Good, and what are you all doing here?” Gibbs asked with raised eyebrows.

“Today you get to go tux shopping,” Abby said excitedly.

“But we still have nearly two weeks,” Gibbs protested.

“Better to be safe than sorry,” Abby said as she smiled.

“Fine, I’ll go and get changed, get this over and done with,” he said as he walked back into the bedroom.

“Where’re you going?” Tony asked as he sat up.

“Tux shopping with Abby,” Gibbs said as he rolled his eyes.

“Oh, ok, well have fun,” Tony said as he lay back down.

“You have to go as well,” Gibbs smirked.

“I what?” Tony said as he sat back up. Gibbs chuckled and walked out the door. Tony groaned and put a pillow over his head, he never did like shopping for formal clothes.

“Stop your groaning,” Ziva said as she walked in.

“Maybe I like groaning,” Tony answered.

“Just get up so we can go, the sooner it’s done the sooner you can come home,” Ziva said as she walked back out. Tony got up and walked to the wardrobe. He had a shower and got dressed to then be dragged along to a tux store by Ziva and McGee.

“Hi, do you need any help?” a over cheery woman asked.

“No, we’re fine thanks,” McGee said as they walked towards a rack.

“Go on, they won’t bite,” Ziva said as she pushed Tony towards the rack. Tony rolled his eyes and started to look at the tuxes.

“What about this one?” he asked as he held up a plain black and white tux.

“Your choice,” McGee said. Tony pushed it back on the rack and looked through some more. As the seconds passed they soon turned to minutes, the minutes becoming a few hours before Tony decided on his suit.

“Finally,” Ziva rolled her eyes as they walked out the door.

“Well it’s not like you two were helping,” Tony said as they got into the car. McGee’s phone rung and he quickly flipped it open.

“McGee,” he answered, rolling his eyes right after.

“That’s a cold case, you don’t need to look into it again,” he said.

“What do you mean?” his voice becoming concerned.

“Right,” he said finally before hanging up.

“We gotta go,” he said to Ziva.

“Just drop me here, I’ll call Jethro,” Tony said. Ziva pulled over and Tony got out.

“Thanks for coming, see you later,” he said before they drove off. He started walking home.

Get some fresh air into that thick skull of yours Tony. He thought to himself. The rain had stopped but it was still overcast, threatening to rain down on him when he least expected it. He shrugged and couldn’t care less if he got wet. He’d been walking for some time and didn’t realise that it was that far away from home.

“Tony!”

He looked around to see Jeanne running towards him. He shook his head as he remembered telling her they would have lunch.

“Hey, you busy?” she asked as she caught up with him.

“Ahh, sorry, I forgot,” he said as he cursed himself for what he was about to do.

“So is lunch still on?” she asked.