- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Kate never got to tell him how she felt and neither did he. Will there be a second chance for the two.
NOTE:I got this idea from a Bones episode.
Kate sits at her desk starring at the phone on her desk. She is startled when it finally does ring.
“ Hello” she says quickly.
“ Agent Kate Todd” a women’s voice asks.
“ Yes”
“ I am sorry to inform you Agent Gibbs didn’t make it” the women said sympathetically.
“ What?” she said shocked.
“ He…he went into cardiac arrest and we couldn’t revive him. I am really sorry” she says again. Kate doesn’t say anything. she simply hangs up the phone, and makes her way down to Abby’s lab.
She enters the lab which is filled with the laughter of Tony, Abby, Ducky and McGee.
“ Hey Kate. Come to join the fun” Abby says delightfully. Kate looks at her. Her face has no emotion.
“ Kate what is it?”
“ Is it Jethro?”
“ What’s happened?”. They all ask her.
“ He…he didn’t make it” she says softly trying to hold back the tears that stung her eyes. Gasps went up everywhere.
“ No he cant. He’s Gibbs. Gibbs never gives up” Abby cried.
“ I know” Ducky said comforting her. Kate stood there frozen.
“ Kate, are you ok?” McGee asked her as he headed out to get fresh air with Tony. She nodded and tried to smile but failed.
“ If you need to talk” Tony said softly.
“ Thankyou” she finally said. Kate stood there looking at Abby. Ducky looked at her and knew that they needed time together. He gave Abby a kiss on the head and left.
“ Im here if you need me Caitlin” he said softly on his way out. Kate looked back at Abby and Abby looked at Kate through teary eyes. Abby made her way over to Kate.
“ It’s going to be ok isn’t it? With Gibbs gone” she asked. Kate looked into Abby’s eyes.
“ No. Nothing is going to be ok” she said finally breaking down. Abby threw her arms around her and they cried together.
“ I didn’t tell him” Kate cried.
“ Oh Katie, I’m sure he knew” Abby said running her hands threw Kate’s hair.
**************************
It was 5 days since Gibbs took a bullet for Kate. She didn’t see the shooter but he did and he threw himself in front of it and got the full force of it.
That was going to be the day that Kate was finally going to tell Gibbs how she felt about him. She has been at work everyday since waiting for him to show up at work. She hasn’t stepped foot in the hospital.
***************************
It has been a week since they got the bad news of Gibbs’ passing and today was the day of the funeral.
Once again Kate sat at her desk dressed in black. She sat there starring at her computer screen. Abby, Ducky, Tony and McGee crowded around her desk.
“ Kate it’s time to go” Tony said softly.
“ I’m not going” she said not looking at them.
“ Kate you have to come” McGee says.
“ I don’t and I’m not” she says again.
“ Come on, we should go other wise we are going to be late” Ducky said rushing everybody out. Abby stayed behind to talk to Kate.
“ Kate you have to come. If not for you then for me. Please. I don’t think I will be able to get through it without you” Abby pleaded. Kate looked up at her pleading eyes.
“ Ok. I’ll go” she finally said.
*****
The team line up at the end of Gibbs’ coffin which the American flag lays over it along with flowers. A line of Marine men stand along side the coffin with their guns ready to perform their ceremony. They all get ready to fire when a man dressed in a dark blue suit crashes the funeral. A marine officer pulls his gun and shoots the man before Kate, Tony or McGee even have time to think. They all stand there in shock, looking at the marine who’s hate has fallen off to reveal silver hair. The marine turns around to face his team.
“ Miss me” he says with a breathy smile. Abby is fuming and walks up to him and slaps him.
“ Abs what was that for?”
“ Making us believe you were dead” she said angrily and walk away from him. Kate walked up to him. He didn’t have time to think before her fist came in contact with his face.
“ That was for the same reason” she said and followed Abby. He turned back to the others and they were still just standing there looking at him in aw.
*****
Gibbs was at his desk talking to Tony, McGee and Ducky.
“ So you faked your own death to help the FBI?” McGee asked slowly.
“ Yep”
“ Why? I mean why couldn’t you tell us?” Tony asked.
“ I told the FBI to tell you guys” he said.
“ Well they didn’t” Tony pointed out. Duck walked over to Gibbs’ desk and leaned over to whisper to him.
“ Jethro I think you should go talk to her” he said.
“ Who Duck?”. Ducky starred at him.
“ Do you think that’s a good idea? She might hit me again”
“ Jethro! Go” Ducky ordered. Gibbs got up and left for Abby’s lab.
Kate and Abby were in deep conversation when they noticed Gibbs walk in.
He looked at the both of them. Abby got off the bench and walked over to him.
“ I forgive you” she said and hugged him.
“ And Kate?” he asked her softly.
“ Not yet” she replied. He gave her a gentle kiss on the cheek and she left. Gibbs slowly made his way over to where Kate was sitting. He stood in front of her and looked at her. She didn’t look at him.
“ Kate, I am sorry I didn’t tell you” he started.
“ Don’t bother” she said jumping off the bench and walking past him. He grabbed her wrist as she walked past and she stopped and turned to face him.
“ Someone was suppose to tell you. All of you” he said.
“ I wanted you to tell me” she said finally meeting her eyes. He could see how much she was hurting and he just wanted to take her in his arms to stop it.
“ I am truly sorry Kate” he said again. They stood there looking at each other. They didn’t move. Gibbs thought this was the right time to show her how much she meant to him. He was going to tell her before but he got shot before he had the chance. He stepped closer to her, his hand still wrapped around her wrist.
“ I wanted to tell you something that day but I never got a chance” he said softly. He watched her expression change. Her eyes widened, her face softened and her heart began to race.
“ Me to” she whispered. He stepped even closer to her. He ran the back of his hand softly over her cheek. Her hand moved into his that was holding her wrist. She closed her eyes as his mouth took over hers. Both her hands ran over his chest and grabbed his shirt and pulling him closer. His hands rested on her hips. Gibbs stopped kissing her as he felt something cold hit his cheek. He broke the kiss and looked at her.
“ Why are you crying?” he asked. She doesn’t look at him. He wipes a tear away with his thumb.
“ Kate” he says softly. She looks up at him.
“I’m glad your still here because I have wanted to do that for a long time” she says with a little smile.
“ Me to” he says then kisses her again.
“ Hey boss Abby told me you weerrrr” Tony started to say but quickly stopped as he saw Gibbs and Kate embracing. They both stopped and broke apart. Kate didn’t look at him although his face would have been hilarious.
“ What do you want DiNozzo?” Gibbs asked annoyed.
“ I…uh just…wanted…to tell you that we are heading out for dinner of you would like to join us, but I see your busy so I’ll go” he said starting to head out.
“ DiNozzo!” Gibbs yelled.
“ Yeah boss?” Tony stopped.
“ We’ll come” he said. Tony nodded and left the lab. Gibbs looked at Kate and Kate looked at Gibbs. They both smiled. Gibbs held out his hand and she took it. hey made their way up to the bullpen. Everyone was still there.
“ I bet Tony told them” Kate whispered to him.
“ Yep” was all he said. They walked into the bullpen still hand in hand.
“ So where are we going?” Gibbs asked. They all looked at the two of them. Their eyes went straight to their hands.
“ So Tony was right?” McGee asked trying to take in what was happening. Kate looked up at Gibbs.
“ Yep”. A squeal came from Abby as she jumped off Gibbs’ desk and ran and hugged Kate.
“ I knew it would work out” she said, then hugged Gibbs. After they cleared everything up they decided to out to the Chinese place down the road for a celebration dinner.