- Text Size +
Chapter 10

Ziva was day-dreaming, thinking of the many possible ways she could kill their prisoner. Shooting him would be efficient, but too easy. A knife thrown into his heart would be gratifying, but too messy. Poison might also do and considering what he did to Tony, she figured it would be almost appropriate. Of course, she could never follow through with any of these designs for the doctor, she could only dream. It was all she could do to keep her anger in check and prevent her from barging into the interrogation room and beating the living crap out of Jameson as he spewed forth his verbal diarrhea.

Through the one-way glass on the other side of the room, she watched as Gibbs and Fornell worked on the doctor. Neither Fornell nor Gibbs yelled or raised their voice, all they needed to do was fix him with a few of their steely, knowing stares that held that spark of anger just underneath the surface that told anyone in their path that they wouldn't going to take any shit or lies from him and they weren't leaving until they had the entire true story.

The doctor had been on the verge of tears again as they entered the interrogation room, but now after just an hour of their questions, he was nearly hysterical, sobbing uncontrollably and babbling nonsense about how he had never meant to do any of the things he had done, but had been forced to do it all to save his career and fortune. It was a pitiful sight, but Ziva felt no sympathy for him whatsoever, for he cried out not in remorse for his actions, but in regret for getting caught and having to face the consequences.

She listened intensely as he confessed to having an affair and killing his wife when she discovered it, dumping her body in the river then lying to police and the FBI about her disappearing while jogging. He also admitted to throwing his gun out into a dumpster where presumably, the vagrant that had killed the sailor in the parking lot of the grocery had found the weapon and then used that same gun to shoot Tony.

But when Gibbs mentioned Tony to Jameson and asked him what was running through his mind when he tried to kill a federal agent and not just any agent mind you, but his agent, the doctor's indifferent reaction and attempt to explain why he messed with Tony's drugs during surgery made her blood run cold. At that moment, she wanted nothing more than to make her daydreams become reality. How could anyone endanger another person's life in such a way just so they could get out of a meeting or even to save their job? It was preposterous. If Tony did die, she wasn't sure she could restrain herself much further; rules and laws be damned, especially since she had killed people for far less before when she was with Mossad.

Ziva impatiently checked her watch again for the umpteenth time. It had been over an hour and a half since McGee called and explained what Jameson had done to Tony and he still hadn't called back. She resisted the urge to call him herself, but knowing her co-workers, either he, Ducky or Abby would contact them as soon as they knew anything. However in the mean time, the waiting was killing her slowly.

Sighing in frustration, she just wanted to go and get this guy in jail and have nothing more to do with him ever again so she go to the hospital. She knew waiting, whether it be here or there would be the same no matter where she was, but at least if she was at the hospital, she could feel like she was there for her partner in some way. She felt useless here just watching everything.

Gibbs' calm exterior was cracking and Ziva knew an explosion was imminent as Dr. Jameson continued to blubber on. Finally, with a slap of his hand against the table, Gibbs got up angrily and headed for the door.

“He's said enough, Fornell. He's all yours if you want him. I've had all I can take of his crap.” He said as he exited the room and slammed the door.

“What happens now? Where are you going to take me?” Jameson asked Fornell, looking after the shut door.

“Where do you think?” The seasoned FBI veteran stated dryly.

“I can't go to jail, I just can't.” he cried, making Ziva roll her eyes.

“Oh, you're not going to jail,” Fornell assured him as he hauled him up and slapped cuffs to his wrists behind his back. “You're going federal prison, big difference. There's even a chance we could charge you with terrorism after that little stunt you pulled at the hospital and I hear Gitmo is quite warm this time of year.” Fornell grinned to himself in satisfaction as Jameson's eyes went wild with fear and he was taken out of the room and down the hall to the FBI agent's entourage.

Ziva took that opportunity to leave observation area and go out into the hall, finding Gibbs on his cell just outside the door. Maybe it was McGee with an update. Gibbs' face was unreadable as he listened to the voice on the other line. She made eye contact with him, trying to glean as much information from his expression as she could, but he gave her no indication of what was going on, just a finger raised to stop her from asking and interrupting his conversation.

“Alright....we'll be there in a few minutes, Ducky.” He slapped his phone shut addressing Ziva as he headed down the corridor, she following his tail.

“We're going to the hospital.” He explained. “Tony's out of surgery.”

OOOOO

It was dark when Ziva and Tony reluctantly broke apart. The crowds were gone and the ring had disappeared. In fact, they were no longer in the alley, but back at Nonna's apartment for some reason. The sudden change of scenery didn't bother Tony, he had come to accept the absurdity of this dream and decided to go along with whatever came his way. He was also pleased to see that his injuries from the fight had disappeared and the exhaustion that had threatened to overtake him had gone as well.

“Where are we Tony?” Ziva asked, looking around questioningly.

“Oh, it's just Nonna's place.” He said nonchalantly.

“Who is this Nonna?”

“My Grandmother. And by the smell of things,” He pulled Ziva by the hand towards the kitchen and smiled at the sight that greeted him. “I would guess that she is baking something delicious.”

Nonna looked up and smiled as she pulled a pan out of the oven. Tony went over to her placing a peck onto her cheek.

“Whatya got there Nonna?”

“Oh, I'm so glad you're back, Anthony.” She beamed “These are just some of those brownies you never got to have earlier, I thought you might like them warmed up.” She looked over to Ziva and gave her a welcoming smile as she placed the pan onto the countertop. “And this must be the Ziva your friends mentioned.”

“Yeah, Nonna, this is Ziva...Ziva this is Nonna.” He introduced them and Ziva held out her hand, but Nonna had other ideas, pulling Ziva into a bear hug and kissing her on the cheek for good measure.

“You take good care of my Anthony now, Ziva. He's going to need you when he wakes up.”

“Nonna...” Tony started, but Nonna held up a hand, interrupting him.

“Now, you listen to me, little boy. You are going to be pretty sore and tired when you get up and you're going to have to put some of that damn DiNozzo pride on the back burner and let this young lady take care of you for a while until you are all better.”

“Fine.” Tony sighed going to the pan and picking out a brownie and sinking his teeth into the gooey, warm chocolate, savoring it with a satisfied grin. “I just wish I could take some of these back with me.”

“Not to worry, Tony. Brownies are my best dish.” Ziva informed him with pride. “I will make you some whenever you want.”

“Really? You never struck me as the baking type, Ziva.”

“There is much about me you still need to learn.” She said with a playful wink.

“Well, I for one can't wait for you to teach me.” He came back with a devilish grin.

“Alright, you two.” Nonna came between them, facing Tony. “It's time for you to go now, Anthony.”

“What?” He asked “Already? But we just got here.”

“I know, I know....But you can't stay here forever my dear, especially when you have this nice girl waiting for you, now can you?”

“I suppose you're right.” Tony grabbed Nonna and hugged her tight. “Thanks for everything Nonna, especially the lasagna.” She laughed into his ears. “I'll miss you.” he added.

“I know, but we'll see each other again Hon, just not for a while. I promise.”

Tony broke off from Nonna, suppressing the tears that wanted to come to his eyes. He turned to Ziva and she smiled.

“Are you ready?” She asked.

“Yeah, now how do I go about this?”

“Just close your eyes, Tony and I will be there when you wake up.” He kissed her again before pulling back and looking deep into the light in her eyes. Then he closed his own.

OOOOO

Ziva woke with a start, massaging her cramped neck muscles from the awkward position she fell asleep in. It was dark in the room and she tried to shake off the last vestiges of the strange dream she had been having. Tony had been in it and so had an older lady. She recalled a feeling of warmth and love, but already the memory of it was fading. She stretched and yawned, noticing that she was the only one left in the room at the moment besides the sleeping form of her partner laying in the bed beside her.

The others must have gone to get something to eat or get some coffee from the cafeteria. She knew Gibbs, Abby and McGee wouldn't have left yet, but Ducky had been called home by his mother's nurse earlier in the evening, apparently there had been some incident with her dogs and a china cabinet that had the nurse demanding him return immediately.

She watched Tony in his sleep, his chest rising and falling peacefully, face bandaged from the broken nose the vagrant had given him. Its swelling left him looking far from his usually good-looking self, but at least he had been extubated and was breathing on his own now. She had been shocked at first to see him hooked up to the ventilator when she first saw him after surgery, but he was free of the tubes now and the rhythmic beeping of the heart monitor reassured her that he was still there and was going to be fine.

All they could do now was wait for him to wake up. Since she was alone, she felt emboldened to take his hand into hers and feel his warmth. She ran her thumb up and down his, hoping that the contact might wake him and she scooted closer to his bedside.

“Tony...” She whispered. Maybe she could get through and he would wake up and assure her that he was still in there, that he would be the same cocky, playful and annoying ass that she had to admit she loved. “Come back....”

She wanted to say more, there was so much she needed to tell him, but that same lump in her throat that she had been fighting all day was back and she was too tired to keep it at bay anymore. The finger in the dike that held back her emotions was not enough to stop the oncoming flood and tears came to her eyes, spilling over and down her cheeks. Ashamed, but thankful that no one could see her meltdown, she laid her head on his bed, beside his legs and let go, allowing the day's fears, frustrations and ultimately her own reluctance to deal with the fact that she felt more for Tony than she could ever tell him and sobbed quietly.

As she cried, she felt a hand touch the back of her head, stroking her hair. She looked up through watery eyes to see Tony looking down on her.

“Ziva?” He asked, his voice weak and tired, but playing like music to her ears. She wiped her eyes and smiled.

“Tony...” She sniffed. “hey.”

“'Kay?” he asked. She nodded, touched that he was concerned for her when he was obviously in a lot of pain.

“I am fine....How are you feeling?”

“Pretty shitty.” He smiled weakly, his eyes barely open. “but better than being dead. ” She realized that she was still holding onto his hand.

“I should get a nurse....” She tried to release his hand, but he squeezed it tighter, drawing it closer to himself.

“Stay...” He whispered, opening his eyes all of the way and fixing his green-eyed gaze onto her face. “I need to tell you....but... ” He was trying to speak coherently, but she could see that he was losing a battle with drowsiness.

“It is okay, Tony. You can tell me later.” He sighed, his eyes sliding closed.

“Na...want to say....” His lips barely moved as he was pulled back into sleep. “love you...” He managed to get out and she was taken aback. Did he just say what she thought she heard him say? She had to know.

“Tony?”

“Huh?” He opened his eyes a crack, giving her a hint of a sly grin, answering her unsaid question huskily. “I meant it.”

She took that chance to smooth back his hair and plant a kiss on his forehead before resting her head on his.

“Love you too.”

To Be Continued.......