- Text Size +
Epilogue

“That was a terrible movie, Tony.”

“What are you talking about? It's a classic.”

“I do not think of Die Hard as a classic movie.” Ziva swiped the remote from Tony's hand and flicked off the TV.

“Well, it beats the pants off of that last one you made me suffer through.”

“Hello Dolly? Now there is a great movie.” She rebutted.

“Way too much singing and way, way too much Barbra Streisand.” Laying across the sofa with his head in her lap, he sighed contentedly, enjoying his position while Ziva absently played with his hair. He thought about how much his life had changed over the course of the last six weeks and how much better it was now. He could honestly say that getting shot had been the best thing that ever happened to him. Of course, it had been a long road to recovery, he had endured a lot of pain in the process and he would always have that horrible scar down the middle of his chest, but it had all been worth it for him to be lying where he was now with her.

“Another brownie?” She offered, holding one up.

“Absolutely.” He opened his mouth up like a baby bird and she rolled her eyes and slapped him playfully on the shoulder.

“Sit up.” She ordered and he obeyed, grabbing the brownie from her hand, he kissed her on the cheek.

“Mmmmm, Ziva. This is great, really. You need to bake more often.”

“I have been baking non-stop for you since you got out of the hospital.”

“Like I said, you need to bake more often.” She shook her head and laughed.

“There is no satisfying you, is there?” He smiled as he chewed happily.

“These reminds me so much of my Nonna.” he spoke with his mouth still half-full of the baked good before he swallowed and continued. “She made brownies for me all of the time. You would have liked her, she was a lot like you, she didn't take crap from anyone, especially me.”

“You are right, it sounds like I would have liked her.” He finished up his brownie and leaned back against the cushions. Ziva settled in next to him. Laying her head on his torso, he was grateful that his chest had stopped hurting enough for her to do that now. He caressed her back and she placed a hand over his heart.

“Are you sure you are ready for tomorrow?” She asked looking up into his face. “You could probably use another week off.”

“Are you serious? I've been gone for six weeks. In fact, I'm surprised that the place hasn't fallen apart without me being there for so long.” He joked and she laughed.

“Somehow we have muddied through.”

“I think you mean 'muddled through'.”

“However you say it, we have managed without you, but it definitely has not been as much fun without you there. I think even Gibbs misses you.”

“Really?” Tony's eyebrows raised in hopeful glee as his face lit up and she grinned at his happiness from learning his boss might have missed him. Gibbs had been pretty pissed at first to learn about his two agents breaking rule twelve and dating each other, but he was unwilling to break up the team. However, he had warned them very severely of the consequences of letting their feelings for each other get between them and the job and he wouldn't put up with any hanky panky in his presence. With tomorrow being Tony's first day back, Gibbs was sure to have his eyes on them at all times to see how they behaved themselves.

“It is getting late and I think you should head to bed; we have an early start tomorrow.”

“I suppose you're right.” He buried his face into her neck and placed soft kisses against it, making her flesh rise in goosebumps as his hand moved from her back to around her side and under her shirt, sliding along her flank and over her stomach. “But we should go to bed.” Not only had it been six weeks since Tony had been to work, but his injury had prevented them from consummating their relationship and for the first time since he had been shot, he finally felt recovered enough to move them to the next level.

“Are you sure you feel up to it?” She looked up at him questioningly.

“Do dolphins like fish?” She smiled and he bent down to kiss her full on the lips as Ziva moved up and straddled him across the lap. He slid his hands up her side and under her shirt, feeling her smooth skin under his hands, exciting him and igniting the flames of desire in both of them. She moaned throatily, kissing him deeper, sliding her tongue against his and using her hands to pull his head closer to hers. Time flew by as they explored each others mouths. Her hands left the back of his head and headed for his tee-shirt, pulling it up and over his head, forcing them to break apart. Tony leaned in to kiss her again after he was bare-chested. However, Ziva had stopped and was tracing a finger down his sternum, following the tracks of his scar. She sighed, shaking her head, a sad look in her eyes.

“I'm sorry, Tony.....but, I ....”

“What's wrong? I'm fine. It doesn't hurt anymore, I promise. You can't hurt me.”

“I know...it is only that...seeing it reminds me of how powerless I was to prevent you from getting shot. What if somethings like this happens again? Can we really do this? Can we go back to work and keep our feelings separate? I do not know if I could stand seeing you hurt again...”

Tony sat up, wrapped his arms around her and she rested her head on his shoulder.

“I have to admit, I've been thinking the same thing about you.” He sighed. “I know you can take care of yourself out there, but seeing you go off to work while I was stuck here was so frustrating. Not being there to have your back had me going crazy, but come tomorrow when we're out there together again, I know you'll be on my six and I'll be on yours and in case you haven't noticed before, we make a pretty damn good team.”

“We are pretty good, are we not?” She curled one corner of her mouth into a sly grin, coming face to face with him again.

“You betcha.” He pulled her close again and they met their lips together in a frenzy of passion, losing themselves in each other. Suddenly standing up, Ziva yelped and giggled (yes, giggled) in surprise when he threw her over his shoulder and carried her off upside down towards the bedroom.

“Put me down, you brute!” She laughed, slapping him across the ass while he hauled her off.

“Nope, bedtime!” Opening the bedroom door with his foot and making his way to the bed, he laid her down and kissed her deeply. Using his hands to learn every inch of her body, he wanted to know more than just her feel, but her smell, her taste and the sounds she made as they pleasured each other late into the night.

Later on, Ziva lay across his chest, deep in sleep. He knew he should try to get some shut-eye as well, but he was too excited. He was more than ready to get back into the swing of things again. He missed everything about his job. He missed the cases, the investigations, the interrogations and the excitement most of all. Hell, he even missed the paperwork. Okay, maybe not the paperwork.

Staring at the ceiling in the dark, he just couldn't sleep as he imagined stepping off the elevator and flopping into his desk across from Ziva, teasing McGee and maybe messing with his stuff a little, visiting Abby and her noisy, music filled lab and even listening as Ducky told one of his many, many, many anecdotes. Most of all, he couldn't wait for that first head slap from Gibbs that told him that he was truly back and whole once again. Yes, tomorrow may be a Monday, but he couldn't wait for it to come. God, I love Mondays.

The End