- Text Size +
Chapter 2

Ziva's hands shook, holding the phone to her ear, watching helplessly as Tony's life slipped away before her eyes, his blood pooling onto the wet pavement of the alley. This was not happening, she thought in despair, she was not going to let him die here, not like this. The voice of the dispatcher on the other side of the phone was speaking calmly to her, reassuring her that paramedics were on the way, but she heard none of it.

Instincts kicked in and she whipped off her jacket, pressing it firmly onto his chest in an effort to staunch the flow of blood. She was a trained Mossad officer, she could handle this, couldn't she? She had seen worse in the field. Friends had died in her arms before, so why was she still shaking?

Because this was Tony. She didn't have time to think about the ramifications regarding that thought right now, though. She just needed to save him.

She checked his pulse again. It was weak, but still there, but for how long?

“Come on, Tony.... stay with me. You cannot die now... who will be left to torment me?” She asked, pretending to joke with him, pressing harder onto his wound, as though she could hold his life inside through sheer force of will. Tears threatened to spill over her eyelids but she willed them away, she couldn't feel what she was feeling, not now, she could give into them later when she was alone.

In the distance, she heard the wails of the approaching ambulance, bringing her some relief. Hurry, hurry, hurry....Things were getting worse, Tony's face took on a ghostly pallor and clammy feel as she wiped sweat from his brow, pushing back his bangs. His breathing too was becoming labored from lungs filling with blood.

“Just keep breathing.” She whispered to him, close to his face, her voice taking on a subtle quake. “please....” A single tear fell and traced down her face just the ambulance sirens grew louder and louder until they stopped all together and she looked up to see paramedics racing for them.

Pushed out of the way, she could only watch as they worked, tearing his shirt off and exposing his chest to the cold air. She couldn't believe she was still shaking as she ran he fingers through her hair and grabbed hold of a few locks, steadying them, reigning in the emotions she wasn't allowed to feel. She should be doing something.

Gibbs. He would need to know. He would know what to do next, he never wavered like she was now. She needed him here, then she would be fine. Then he could slap Tony upside the head and order him to live, she had heard rumors that it had worked before, he could do it again, Tony always did what Gibbs told him, his hero worship of him knew no bounds.

Snapping to reality, she dialed her phone, damning her unsteady hands again as she punched the speed dial number. Keeping her eyes trained on Tony as the medics worked, she heard Gibbs' voice answer the phone. Wake up, Ziva. You have a job to do.

“Gibbs....Tony....” Why couldn't she speak without the crack in her voice?

“Ziva?” He interrupted “Where are you?” He knew something was wrong.

“Alleyway behind the Mexican restaurant on Tenth.”

“Stay there. I'm on my way.” He hung up abruptly and she lowered the phone. They were loading Tony up, ready to take him away. He was still alive, she could hold onto that until Gibbs got there, but she needed more and sprang up to join the paramedics as they placed him on a gurney and rolled him to the waiting ambulance. Before they could open the doors and roll him inside, she grabbed his hand.

“Hang in there Tony....” She told him, hoping he might hear her.

“I'm sorry ma'am, we need to hurry.” The paramedic informed her with a sympathetic face. “We'll take good care of him.”

“I know.” She nodded. “Where will you take him?” She asked, releasing his hand, but maintaining her gaze on his closed eyes and slack features, a bruise spreading across his pale face and swelling, bloody nose where he must have been hit. That was not him. Normally, even in his sleep, he held that look of mischief and irreverence that defined him, but it was not there now and that frightened her, what if he was gone? Do not think about it. He will live. He must.

“Howard University.” He said succinctly, shaking her from her trance before he pushed Tony inside and jumped into the back, closing the door. The sirens started up again, lights flashing against the filthy walls of the alley and reflecting off the puddles of rainwater on the ground and she watched them pull away, leaving her behind.

OOOOO

This was comfortable, he thought. I could stay here all day, just sleep the afternoon away. But, something wasn't quite right, it was familiar yes, but at the same time he knew that he shouldn't be here. Where was here anyway? He ventured to open his eyes.

Confusion filled his senses. Above he saw a popcorn ceiling, looking right was flowery brown and orange wallpaper and underneath him, a couch. A couch he had spent many an afternoon sleeping on, he realized. He knew immediately where he was, yet at the same time, he knew it wasn't possible.

He bolted up. What the hell was going on? He looked around. Everything was just as he remembered it from the last time he was here right down to the green shag carpet, the cookoo clock on the wall, the giant console television set and the flower-patterned, soft velour couch he was sitting on. All was as it was, but when was that? Twenty years ago? This just wasn't happening.

How did he end up here anyway? He tried to focus his thoughts on where he was last, but it was hard to concentrate, very strange. C'mon Tony, think. Where were you last? He closed is eyes, vaguely, images of him running through wet alleys and a fight with a bear came to mind, but he was pretty sure that last part couldn't be right. Then Ziva's concerned face popped into his mind. Try as he might though, he still couldn't figure out what happened. the answer right before him, but just out of reach, frustrating him.

He sighed. Getting up, he looked around and sniffed the air. Something familiar smelling was coming from across the expanse of the living room in the kitchen. He'd know that smell anywhere and it made his heart leap in delight and memories. Curious, he made his way to the kitchen and looked into the small galley. He smiled. This too, was just has he remembered it. The orange formica countertops, the brown stove and refrigerator. Even the shiny gold star embossed wall paper. He moved to the oven and kneeled down, turning on the cook light an peering inside. Yes! His favorite. Lasagna.

He heard a throat clear authoritatively from his left and he turned toward it, doing a double take, not believing his eyes. He stood up tall and moved towards the small woman before him.

“Oh, Anthony, you know the lasagna isn't finished yet.” She snapped him with a dish rag, smiling brightly “I know you're hungry, but you'll just have to wait.”

Tony couldn't find his voice. He was speechless, something he was not used to. He always had something to say, but not now. In shock, he moved to her, grabbing her hands and studying her features. Her grey hair pulled into the tight bun on the top of her head that she wore on a daily basis, the crows feet that framed her smiling hazel eyes, even the flower-print house dress, all told him that she was who he thought she was, even if it wasn't possible. However, he couldn't contain the smile that was spreading across his face, it was just so good to see her, even if this wasn't real.

“Nonna?” He asked “Is it really you?”

“Of course, It is silly boy, who else would I be?”

“This can't be happening.” He whispered, not believing the situation he was in.

“Oh? Why not?”

“Because, you're dead.” He answered raising his eyebrows.

“I know that” She smiled brightly.

“Then how is it you're here or rather that I'm here?” He asked, stammering “Y-you died almost twenty years ago and this place, this whole building was torn down a few years later. It doesn't even exist anymore. How is any of this possible?”

She just smiled at him.”We'll talk about that in a few minutes. Why don't we have some supper first, then we can answer all of your questions.”

“We?” he asked. “Who else is here?”

“Oh, a couple of your friends stopped by. They wanted to say hi. I thought it would be nice to have them over for dinner as well, so they're waiting for you at the table”

Tony didn't remember seeing anyone else in the apartment and no one had been sitting at the table when he passed by it on his way to the kitchen, but he couldn't help turning in that direction, going around the corner to the breakfast nook and stopping dead in his tracks. Ooookay, I have officially crossed over into the Twilight Zone.

“Hey Tony, what's up?” The dark-haired woman addressed him, cocking her head to the side. He felt faint.

“We were just talking about you.” The blonde beside her added, crossing her legs. He searched for his voice, surprised when he found it rather quickly and greeted them with a grin. Might as well play along, he figured, things couldn't get any weirder. At least, he hoped not.

“Hello Kate, Hello Paula.”

To Be Continued........