- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
All she wants to do is forget him.....but that is hard since he turns up at her parents houes
Kate walks back from the elevator to her desk as she realises she’s left her mobile on her desk. She picks it up and looks over at Gibbs’s desk and funny enough he is still there. She pauses and takes a deep breath.
“ Hey Gibbs, we are all going to the movies tonight if you want to join us” she asks him.
“ Sure, what time?” he replies tiredly.
“ Uh, 7:15pm. We decided on Australia”
“ Ok” he said and she left with a smile.
She entered the elevator and as soon as the doors closed she began breathing again. She knew he had that affect on her but she never thought it would be that hard to ask him to the movies. She was so excited she couldn’t stop smiling, even at home getting ready the smile stayed plastered on her face.
She arrived at the theatre and saw Abby, McGee and Tony straight away.
“ Hey guys” Kate said with a smile.
“ Hey, you look nice” Abby said with a hug. They all noticed her big smile that would not disappear.
“ What’s wrong with you?” Tony asks.
“ Nothing, I just cant wait to see the movie” she lied. Abby could tell what was going on.
“ You invited him didn’t you. You actually asked him” Abby said with a smile.
“ Asked who? Who are you guys talking about?” McGee said looking at the two.
“ I invited Gibbs to see the movie”
“ What? Come on Kate its Friday night I really don’t want to put up with him tonight too” Tony said.
“ Tony its one night get over it” Kate tells him.
“ Why don’t we go inside” Abby suggests. The group began walking inside as Kate waits outside for Gibbs to arrive. She looks everyway and before her phone starts to ring.
“ Hello”
“ Kate, Gibbs. I cant make it tonight” he said on the other end.
“ Oh ok. Maybe next”
“ Maybe” he said then hung-up. She looked at her phone and put it back in her bag. She looked at the theatre and she could feel the tears stinging the back of her eyes. She took a breath and walked into the theatre. She found the others already seated.
“ Where’s Gibb?” Abby asked her as she sat down next to her.
“ He’s….he’s not coming” Kate whispered, hiding her disappointment.
“ Are you ok?”
“ Yeah I’m fine”.
By the end of the movie Abby and Kate had shed their fair share of tears, which made Kate feel better as she had felt like Gibbs had stood her up even though it wasn’t exactly a date.
***
The next day Kate exited the elevator and could see Tony and McGee having a conversation, but no Gibbs. She breathed a sigh of relief and continued into the bullpen.
“ What are you two talking about?” she asks putting her bag on her desk and taking off her coat and placing it on the back of her chair.
“ Just about the movie last night” McGee said. Kate nodded her head as she wasn’t really in the mood to talk about last night.
“ Of course the crocodile was real, Tony. Its was filmed up north where the crocodile population is in Australia” McGee said.
“ Oh McGee you know nothing about movies” Tony teased him. Gibbs walked into the bullpen and stopped in front of them.
“ For the record Tony, McGee is right” he said and went to his desk. Kate looked at him in awe as he couldn’t be bothered to turn up to the movie but yet he knows that the crocodile in it was real.
‘ He didn’t want to go because of me’ she thought to herself. That’s it. She knew that there was no hope for her and him being together. She had to talk to Abby, she always makes her feel better.
“ I’ll be back” Kate says as she heads for the back elevator. She waits for the elevator doors open and someone came and stood behind her. She knew who it was and her skin tingled and her breathing quickened. The doors dinged open and she practically ran inside, he followed her in. The doors closed and he waited about 5 seconds and hit the emergency button. He turned to face her and she didn’t look at him.
“ Kate” he started.
“ Its alright Gibbs, you had better things to do and I understand that” she says still not looking at him.
“ I didn’t”
“ You didn’t what?”
“ Have better things to do” he said moving towards her.
“ So you just didn’t want to come” she said finally facing him.
“ No”
“ Look, why didn’t you just say no if you did want to come”
“ Kate shut up” he said suddenly.
“ Gibbs” she said surprised.
“ I did want to go but if I did I would not have been able to help myself” he said stepping closer to her. Kate didn’t move, she stood her ground although she wanted to throw herself into his arms.
“ From what?” she asked softly.
“ From doing this” he said and leant down and took her lips with his. His hand ran through her hair and held her to him. She grabbed hold of his shirt as she felt like she was going to fly away. Gibbs’s other hand came up and rubbed her cheek. She pulled away from him and looked at him.
“ Why?” she said softly.
“ Why what?”
“ Why now? Why did you do this now?” she said.
“ I like you Kate” he said leaning back in for another kiss but Kate stopped him.
“ I like you to but I’m leaving tomorrow”
“ Don’t go” he said softly. His voice makes her insides twirl about.
“ It’s my parents Gibbs, I cant just not turn up” she said as he started to lean down to her again.
“ Yes you can”
“ No I cant” she almost whispered as he took her lips with his again.
‘ God he is as good as I thought’ she thought to herself as he became more passionate and slipped his tongue inside her mouth. She needed air so she pushed him back again and got out of his reach and pushed the emergency button and the elevator started moving. It stopped at Abby’s lab and only Kate got off.
“ Abby!” Kate yelled over her music.
“ Over here” Abby yelled in reply. Kate found Abby over by the window.
“ Hey what’s up?” Abby asked with a smile. Kate didn’t know whether to laugh or to cry.
“ He…he likes me” was all she could say.
“ Who?” Abby asked confused.
“ Gibbs. He followed me into the elevator and he kissed me and told me he likes me”
“ Oh my god! What did you say? What did you do?”
“ I told him I liked him to and…I kissed him back. I then reminded him that I’m leaving for my parents place tomorrow for Christmas”
“ And what did he say?”
“ Don’t go”
“ Is that all. Don’t go. I would of thought he would asked if he could go with you or something”
“ Please Abby its Gibbs” she said. They both laughed.
After a good talk with Abby, Kate went back up to the bullpen and sat at her desk and pretended like nothing happened.
She sat there watching the clock, counting down the minuets ‘til she can get out of here and try and forget about Gibbs for a couple of weeks….at least.
‘ Finally’ Kate yelled in her head.
“ well I’m out of here. See you all in 5 weeks” she said with a bright smile. She was almost out of the bullpen when.
“ Kate” Gibbs called. She turned around and saw him standing up from his desk.
“ Yeah”
“ Have a good trip” he simply said. Kate smiled at him and left. Tony and McGee looked horrified. They have never witnessed their boss say something so sweet before.
“ What?” Gibbs said looking at them and sat back down.
***
“ Merry Christmas Aunty Kate” Sarah said as she handed Kate a present with a bow wrapped on it.
“ Thankyou Sar” Kate said with a kiss.
“ Open it, open it” Sarah said happily.
“ Ok” Kate started to unwrap it.
“ Wow, its beautiful. I love it. Thankyou” Kate said as she looked at the painted ceramic butterfly magnet.
“ She painted it herself” Deb, Kate’s sister, told her.
“ So Kate, tell us about work” her brother Josh said as he sat down on the couch.
“ Um, well there’s nothing much to tell” she said taking a sip of her hot chocolate.
“ Do you shoot people?” Josh’s son Nathan asked.
“ Um, sometimes” Kate says hesitantly.
“ How’s that boss of yours?” her mum asked her.
“ Yeah last time I heard you said he was a heartless bastard” her other brother Robert said.
“ Yeah he was but he’s not quiet a…” she looked at her nieces and nephews.
“ Bully anymore. It took sometime but I’m used to him” Kate said wishing they had not mentioned him. They were interrupted by the doorbell.
“ I’ll get it” Kate said and quickly got up. She opened the door.
“ Gibbs! What are you doing here?” she asks surprised to see him.
“ Merry Christmas” he said stepping closer to her.
“ Seriously Gibbs, what are you doing here?” she asks again.
“ I want you Kate. I’ve wanted you for a long time”
“ So why didn’t you kiss me before?” she said softly.
“ I was scared” he admitted.
“ Wow. Jethro Gibbs scared, that’s a first” Kate said sarcastically.
“ Kate” he said softly.
“ Gibbs” she said back. He stood in front of her and leaned down and kissed her. She had missed this. The first kiss was amazing, the second breath taking and the third…well there was no way to describe it.
“ Kate, who is it?” her mum yelled out.
“ Uh…a friend” Kate yelled back looking at Gibbs who smiled at her.
“ Well invite them in, its cold outside” her mum yelled back. Kate’s face showed the shock at what her mum just said. She looked at Gibbs.
“ Do you want to come in?” she asked.
“ No, its ok I only came to say Merry Christmas” he said and kissed her again.
Then came the little giggle and squeal from Sarah.
“ Aunt Katie’s kissing a man, Grandma Aunt Katie is kissing a man” she yelled running back into the lounge where the rest of her family was. Kate looked up at Gibbs who was laughing at what had just happened.
“ Does that mean I have to come in now?” he said with a smile on face that she has never seen before.
“ I am so sorry Gibbs, you should go” she said starting to push him down the steps. He stopped, grabbed her hands and stepped back up.
“ Why? I am going to have to meet them anyway, why not tonight” he said then kissed her.
“ Kate! What is Sarah…oh sorry” Kate’s mum said coming around the corner. Kate turned around to see her mum standing there shocked at what she saw.
“ Um, mum this is Jethro Gibbs…my and…boyfriend” she said with a smile.