- Text Size +
Chapter Thirteen


Gibbs looked at the doctor and then glanced over at Nate, wondering if this was a good idea. He had no doubts about Nate himself, but this doctor seemed like a caricature with his bow tie and smile and name. Ducky! As a serious doctor’s name?

“I’m Jethro,” he allowed. “And this is my son.” He paused, trying the phrase out to a stranger. “This is my son Tony,” he said in a firmer voice, meeting the doctor’s eyes. Tony mumbled a greeting and that was enough for Gibbs for now.

Dr. Mallard took Gibbs’ chin in his gentle hand, staring into his eyes. “Yes, of course. Let’s get you both to the hospital, Jethro. Your eyes are quite dilated and I knew these gentlemen are quite concerned about you. Don’t worry. Your son is doing quite well. He’ll be fine.” The doctor leaned in close. “He’ll be safe, Jethro. We all promise that.”

Gibbs sighed and pulled Tony close, trying to reassure him with touch and not words. He wasn’t a great guy with words anyway and even though Tony was injured, Gibbs could soothe him much better with a gentle touch. He had the feeling Tony hadn’t been touched or hugged as much as any kid should. That was all going to change now that he was in Gibbs’ life.

“Come on, Son,” Gibbs urged gently and Tony shuffled along beside him, edging closer and closer. Gibbs didn’t know how to soothe Tony and the frustration was starting to get to him.

As they reached the door, he looked down at Tony for a second. “Wait here,” he said, pulling Nate’s arm and stepping a few paces away. “He’s scared to death, Nate. You stick with him. Promise me.”

“I promise, Jethro,” Nate said, meeting his eyes. “Sarah will stay with you.” Gibbs started to open his mouth, ready to protest that he didn’t need her, when Nate shook his head, drawing himself up even taller. “My house, my rules, Jethro. Sarah will stay with you, not because you need it, but because I do.”

Gibbs sighed, conceding. “We’ll do it your way then, Nate.”

“Glad you saw it my way, Jethro.” Gibbs watched as Nate spoke quietly to Tony and walked him out to a car, arm protectively around the boy’s shoulders. Gibbs arched a brow to Sarah, wondering when the plan had changed and she’d decided to come along. She didn’t say a word, just took his arm and he led her out, waiting as she locked the front door. The three doctors had brought two cars and Jethro, Tony, and his in-laws occupied the third.

“You’re sure about this, Nate?” Gibbs said quietly as they pulled into the private parking area of a hospital. The stop and start traffic was murder on his stomach, but he was managing, even if barely right now. Tony was in the front side beside Nate and had curled into himself, not saying a word or moving more than he absolutely had to. It killed Gibbs to see the kid so defeatist.

“Jethro,” Nate said with a sigh. “I made a vow, not only to you but to Tony. His father won’t ever find out.”

“He’s not my father,” Tony said quietly. “We can fight that if he tries to…you know, hurt me.”

“We’re not without resources, Tony,” Nate promised. “Come on, let’s get you looked at.”

Gibbs followed as the doctors led the small procession into the hospital by way of an employee entrance. He endured the couple of hours of testing"including a CAT scan and MRI"without complaint, though his stomach threatened to rebel a few times. Sarah stood by him quietly, stroking his hand while they were in the waiting rooms and standing guard as he underwent the tests.

As soon as they were done, Ducky told Gibbs and Sarah that Nate and Tony would meet them in the car. He squeezed Gibbs’ arm gently. “Nobody has any idea, Jethro. It has been a pleasure to meet you. The doctors will have detailed information about your tests in a few days and I know they’ll contact you when they can. I do hope our paths will cross again some day.”

“Is Tony okay?” Gibbs asked quietly.

“I believe he will be, Jethro. Nate has all of the details and he’ll be able to advise you there. Take very good care of him. From the little I’ve seen, he adores you. Rare to see in any father and teenaged son. Sarah, are we on for bridge next week?”

“We are, Ducky,” she said squeezing his arm. “Thank you.”

“My pleasure. Best of luck to you and your son, Jethro. Both of you should make an early night of it.”

“Thank you,” Gibbs said. It was awkward not handing over his medical card to the doctor, but he knew that they’d all finessed it somehow and he appreciated the chance they were all taking.

Gibbs followed behind the doctor, negotiating corridors and elevators until they were outside. Tony was in the back seat this time. Gibbs slipped in beside him, squeezing his arm gently.

“How did it go?”

Tony sighed, sagging against Gibbs. “I got beat up. That was their diagnosis, Jay. But I’ll live.”

“More than that, Tony,” Nate said, his voice gentle and patient. “Want the rundown?” He looked over at his wife. “I organized some carryout; Tony loves Italian and Sirio’s will have our order waiting. Chicken Parmigana for you, Jethro, Chicken Marsala for Tony and Veal Scallopini for the two of us. Ducky’s butcher owes him a favor or two and he’ll have a spiral cut ham waiting for me to pick up tomorrow. We’ll be ready for Easter. I can get that after I pick the girls up from the airport. They’re on a morning flight, hope Shannon can get Kelly moving so early.”

“Nate…Tony’s injuries,” Gibbs reminded, trying to be patient but failing miserably.

“Four fractured ribs, numerous healed breaks there.” Gibbs sucked in a deep breath at the confirmation that this hadn’t been the first beating. “Mild concussion. Liver and kidneys appear fine despite the bruising.” Nate twisted around in the car. “Someone kicked him in the back, Jethro. Repeatedly.”

Tony made a small noise and looked down.

“His teeth are okay, his orbital bone is intact despite the swelling. He’s bruised all over, but his X rays check out and he’ll be okay. And this will never happen again.” Nate’s voice was steel now and Gibbs found himself starting to nod before his head exploded in pain. He barely got the car door open before he was sick again, a hand on the back of his neck stroking it and his hair.

When Gibbs sat up finally, he realized that Tony had been soothing him. “Thanks,” he whispered, wondering how the teen was so at ease comforting him.

“My mom,” Tony said, answering the question Gibbs hadn’t even asked. “When she was sick, I’d hold her hair out of her face.”

Gibbs nodded, knowing he wanted more details. He wouldn’t push for now, but some day Tony would tell him.

“Oh, Jethro,” Nate said with a sigh. “We had no idea it was like this. You should never have flown.”

“I’m managing,” Gibbs insisted.

“Barely,” Sarah retorted. Let’s get you boys home. If you’re up to eating, there’s food, or if not, at least have some Saltines, Jethro. We’ll work all the details out tomorrow when the family is all together.” She met Tony’s eyes. “And yes, young man, the family includes you. I expect you boys to look after each other this evening. Let us take care of all the details and know that you’re safe in our home. Tony, can you do that?”

Gibbs didn’t know what had come over Sarah, if Ducky had spoken to her, or maybe she’d just had time to think about everything, but for now she’d come around as well. It wasn’t a victory; there wasn’t a winner here. But Gibbs knew it would set Tony at ease and he desperately needed that now. He needed a home, and at least he knew he had a temporary one.

“Yes, Ma’am,” Tony said quietly.

“How about Sarah for now? Maybe when we’ve gotten to know each other better, we can find a more suitable name.” She paused and Gibbs could see turmoil in her eyes before she nodded. “Welcome to the family, Tony.”