- Text Size +
Chapter Seven

Gibbs sat quietly with Tony, stroking the boy’s hair as Nate made some calls and finished the arrangements. He knew the storm was brewing, the troops advancing on multiple fronts, even though he was powerless to stop it. He had to hope that his wife’s understanding and his in laws’ trust of him would be enough. It had to be. He’d established a strong bond with Nate and Sarah over many years. First, when he was dating Shannon, and then, as her husband and Kelly’s father. They were very forthright people and Gibbs knew that they would have told him directly if they felt he was being deficient in any way.

Which was why he knew that he wasn’t going to dodge this bullet. The storm was brewing; he could see it in their eyes and the set of their shoulders, the way Sarah moved around the room, her motions a little jerky and uncomfortable. She was unsettled; Nate was concerned, and Gibbs had to admit to himself that he might just be over his head. What did he know about helping to heal a traumatized teen boy? What if he screwed up or hurt Tony more?

“Jethro?” Nate called quietly, beckoning him closer.

He extricated himself from Tony gently, standing in a slow motion and trying to shake off the dizziness and nausea. Tony clutched his arm, but Gibbs gave him a gentle look, brushing a thumb over a cheekbone in a tender gesture.

“I’ll be right back. Made a vow. Remember, my word is my vow.”

Tony worked his bruised lip between his teeth but he nodded, even though it was uncertain. “Just come back, Dad. Please.”

“What is it, Nate?” Gibbs asked as the older man guided him into the living room and sat him down gently but firmly. Sarah followed them in and sat next to him, working one of those scraps of lace"was it called a doily?"in her hands.

“Logistics,” Nate said quietly. He looked at Sarah and Gibbs watched the play of emotions between them. The couple had been married so long that they had perfected the talent of silent conversation and it was clear they were having quite a debate. Eyebrows rose, looks were given. It was intimate and he felt like he was an intruder. He shifted in his seat restlessly, but didn’t dare get up yet. If Nate pushed him back down, Gibbs might get sick and Marines did not get sick easily.

“Okay,” Gibbs finally said, breaking the silence when their non-verbal argument seemed to have trailed off.

“That boy needs medical attention. I can call a friend in to look at him, but I’m not having him in our house without an exam. If he has internal bleeding or a punctured lung, he could die.” Nate paused a moment. “And I want him to have a quick look at you as well. You need a neurological consult, Jethro. I don’t like what I’m seeing here.”

“I’m okay,” Gibbs insisted. “Not the one you need to worry about.”

“I beg to differ,” Sarah put in, reaching over and smoothing his hair back tenderly. “Jethro, we had no idea how serious the injury was. We should have,” she said quietly, shooting a sharp glance at her husband. “But you and Shannon expend so much time and energy convincing us not to worry that I supposed we’ve become complacent. Let Nate do this; let him find you a neurological consult here in the city. He has great connections and a second set of eyes could reveal something the military doctors might have missed.”

“If nothing else, it’ll smooth things over with Shannon,” Nate added with a low chuckle. “If you stay on here a few days to be seen, you don’t have to worry about leaving that young man. We can make a bit of a family vacation of it. Trust me; you don’t want that redhead any more upset at you than she already is. You think that head of yours hurts now…”

Gibbs managed a smile at those words. Nate had a very valid point.

Sarah pulled in a breath, clearly weighing her words. “Nate tells me he isn’t directly related to you. That is the case, isn’t it, Jethro? I don’t want to press or cause more stress for you, but I do find myself wondering why him.”

Gibbs shrugged, frustrated. Stars appeared in front of his eyes and he gulped back bile. Even that small motion was too much for his aching head. “Don’t know. Can’t explain. His eyes locked onto mine at the Radio City thing and he looked lost. Alone. Didn’t think it was this bad, but the kid needs someone, the kid needs me.”

In a way, Gibbs himself had been like Tony at that age. At least emotionally. Jack had never hurt him, not physically or directly emotionally, Gibbs knew that now. But his father’s constant dating had made a huge impression on Gibbs and the bullying and fights with Stillwater’s elite had pushed him to run in desperation. He’d found a recruitment office in Allentown and the Corps.

“Just don’t sacrifice Shannon and Kelly’s needs for his,” Sarah said after a short silence. She stood over him and cupped Gibbs’ chin in a strong hand, gently but firmly forcing him to look at her. “That woman has stood by your side for many years, and that little girl is too young to understand all of this mess. Remember that your first loyalty is to them.”

Gibbs wouldn’t answer that comment. He wouldn’t be disloyal to Shannon and Kelly or Tony. He just had to find a way to make it all work out together. He had to trust himself, his wife, their family"which now included Tony, even if he was the only one who recognized that. So far… He had faith Shannon would take the teenager under her wing.

Sarah sighed, kissing the top of his head. “I’m going to duck out and get some clothing for Tony. He’s far thinner than Nate. I’m sure you didn’t bring more than a change of clothes for yourself either, did you?” When Gibbs only gave her a sheepish smile, she chuckled, her normal good humor back, even if he could tell it was a little forced.

“I’ll pick up a few things for you as well then, Jethro. Nate, arrange the doctor visit and determine what foods our young guest likes. She looked down at Gibbs one last time before leaving. “I hope you know what you’re doing, Jethro.”

“Me too.”

After Sarah left, Gibbs drifted back into the kitchen, leaving Nate to make his calls. Nate seemed to think they had a couple of hours before anyone would be able to stop by and Gibbs planned to take advantage of that. Tony looked drawn and exhausted and Gibbs tugged him gently to his feet. “What’re we doing?” Tony asked.

“Bedroom. You’re gonna get a nap. You look exhausted. Been a rough few days, eh?”

“Yeah,” Tony admitted quietly. He let Gibbs guide him up the stairs and into one of the guest bedrooms. A queen-sized four-posted bed stood invitingly in the middle of the room.

“Strip off, Tony. Down to underwear.”

Tony hesitated, eyes flashing in panic. “I don’t want you to see…”

“It’s okay,” Gibbs soothed. “Just be more comfortable for you than in those thick jeans. I’m gonna do the same.”

Tony started chewing on his swollen lip. “I don’t…” He reddened and waved his hand “You know.”

Gibbs blinked a few times and then it hit him. He started to shake his head firmly and then rushed to the wastebasket, emptying his stomach. He pulled out a bottle of juice and rinsed his mouth out. It was disgusting, but it did the job. When his vision had returned back to normal and his head was at a dull roar again, he looked over at Tony.

“You okay?” Tony asked, his tone worried, his panic having given way to concern.

“Hurt my head really bad overseas,” Gibbs admitted, moving closer to the young man. “Tony, I’m not interested in anything other than resting with my boy. I’m not…I wouldn’t… Never,” he finished in a firm voice. “Has anyone…with you?”

He hated asking the question but he needed intel. And he had a sinking feeling that Tony’s father might have hurt him in even more disgusting ways.

Tony’s whole body relaxed. “No. I know it happens at school and stuff but nobody. I just…worried. Didn’t want it to happen with me. You’re my dad.”

“Never have to worry with me,” Gibbs told him firmly.

“I know, Dad. I trust you.” Tony wrapped his arms around Gibbs’ waist, giving him a gentle squeeze. “You won’t hurt me, Dad. It was why I came to you in the first place.”