- Text Size +
Chapter Eight

Gibbs stood there for a few minutes, smoothing Tony’s hair down. He had to establish something quickly, before Kelly arrived and there were more problems to face. He moved to stow the bottle of juice back in his bag and came back to Tony, guiding the boy down on the bed. “Tony, we have to talk about some things. Work out some stuff.”

“Okay,” Tony said uncertainly, looking up at Gibbs. His expression was so damned trusting, Gibbs hoped he wouldn’t hurt the boy further with this. “What is it, Dad?”

“It’s that,” Gibbs said quietly, heavily. He settled down on the bed next to Tony, turning to face the boy, studying him. Tony’s eyes looked sad, stormy, and lonely. “I have a little girl, named Kelly. She’s six and a half now and she’s feeling pretty off kilter. With me going away so much and me getting so badly hurt, her security has been shaken up really bad. I’ve been trying to hide it, but this head thing has been rough on her. And I don’t want her to be even more upset, Tony. Instead of hunting for Easter Eggs, she’ll be packing to come up here, wondering why Daddy wasn’t home for dinner tonight.”

Tony looked guilty, and Gibbs continued to stroke his hand through the teen’s hair. “No reason to be upset, Tony. You didn’t plan this and I’m supposed to be here with you. But I have that little girl to worry about as well.” And Shannon, but Gibbs knew he could reason with the adults in the family. At least he hoped he could.

“So you want me to back off with the ‘Dad’, huh? ‘Cause it’ll freak her out?” Tony asked glumly, tears suddenly shimmering in his eyes. “I know it is stupid but…”

“It’s not stupid at all, Tony.” In a strange way, Gibbs understood. Maybe it was having a negative relationship with his own father, who had never hurt him physically, even though they had clashed many times verbally throughout the years. “Yeah.” Gibbs paused for a long moment, studying Tony’s expression. “I don’t mind it, Tony. There is something about you…” He sighed, frustrated that he couldn’t explain this very well. “I understand, Tony.” He lowered his voice to a whisper. “And I like it. It doesn’t make sense but it feels right. Let me talk to Shannon and Kelly. Let me make them understand. Especially Kelly. She’s just a little girl.”

“You don’t mind?” Tony asked, and hope lit up his eyes, chasing the tears away.

“I don’t mind,” Gibbs replied firmly. “I really don’t.” He moved away slowly, changing down to boxers and shirt, seeing that Tony had done the same, and then pulled the comforter back. “You okay with me staying here, Tony? Don’t want to make you feel uncomfortable.”

“I’m good. Stay. Please.”

~*~

Shannon Gibbs sighed and put the phone down, rubbing the bridge of her nose. This was a mess, she was certain of that. She had sensed her husband had a connection with the young man they’d met over Christmas, even though Jethro had never mentioned the boy again. She’d known Jethro for many years, knew when his sense of responsibility overrode his common sense. Though that was a rare thing, and always involved his brother Marines rather than a teenager he’d just met.

She couldn’t understand it, and that confused the life out of her. She was just expected to pick up and fly to New York City like this. Yes, her parents had paid for her and Kelly to go, but that wasn’t the point. They all knew that Kelly was having a terrible time with Jethro going away so much. Their daughter needed stability and security, and having her sick father running to New York for a stranger was not only very out of character, but it was something that confused and concerned Shannon.

She opened the fridge, looking at the components. This was likely to be a chips and dip night rather than a good healthy food time. And that was okay. Shannon found that she was craving salty, fatty foods and chocolate in a way she hadn’t since… Oh God.

Glancing to the calendar on the wall, the number stood out at her and she started computing the dates. Could it have happened again, despite her being on birth control? When had Jethro come back injured?

Shannon gulped hard and dialed Jane Cameron. “Jane? I need you to come over before everyone else. I could use someone to talk to and um…could you pick me up something, and don’t tell a soul…A pregnancy test…No, I’m not joking and I don’t think there is something in the water. I just realized that I’m almost three weeks late…No, I didn’t notice beforehand. With Jethro being injured, my attention has been on him… I know…Yes, I’m still on the Pill….Okay, thanks, Jane.”

Shannon hung up the phone, her hand drifting to her stomach. Could she possibly be pregnant again after all these years…without trying? It was so ironic that she was half convinced fate had grabbed her by the throat just like last time, and the time she’d met a shy boy on a train platform in Stillwater, PA.

Kelly came back in, a skip in her step now that she had spoken to her father. “Mommy? When is Daddy coming back?”

Shannon plastered a smile on her face, knowing she needed to reassure her daughter. “We’re going to see Grandma and Grandpop tomorrow. Daddy is going to stay there for a couple of days.”

“Oh.” Kelly’s expression fell. “But Mommy, will the Easter Bunny know where to find me?”

Shannon gathered her little girl close, kissing the top of her head. Soon, Kelly would be too old to want this sort of comfort. Just like that, a pang of longing crashed through Shannon and she hoped that she was pregnant, that she could give her husband another little girl…or maybe a boy. Then he wouldn’t have such a yearning for a stranger.

“The Easter Bunny is magical, Kelly. He knows exactly how to find you. And we’ll hide the eggs next weekend. Maddie and you can find them just as easily then. Just think, we’ll be in New York City for Easter. Maybe we can get you a nice new dress and a matching Easter bonnet.”

“Purple this time?” Kelly asked hopefully.

“Maybe,” Shannon answered, absorbing the warmth of her daughter in her arms. Another crisis averted, at least for Kelly. Shannon’s life had gotten much more complicated and she wasn’t quite sure what to do from here on out.

~*~

Gibbs watched as Tony slept for about forty-five minutes before he, too, stretched out and closed his eyes. His head was throbbing, aching, the nausea almost overwhelming him. Even though he’d emptied his stomach, it was still there, churning, burning just below the surface. He wasn’t sure if lying down would help or hinder him, but he had to try.

Tony was curled up in as close to a ball as his injuries would allow and he jerked awake as Gibbs settled from a sitting to lying down position. “It’s okay, Tony. Just Gibbs.”

“’Kay, Dad,” Tony said sleepily and Gibbs was completely charmed. His hand found its way to Tony’s upper back and he stroked gently, turning onto his side, his free arm tucked under the pillow. He wouldn’t likely fall asleep, but if he could close his eyes, he’d get some rest at least.

“Dad? Um…Jay? Uh… What’m I supposed to call you now?”

The soft voice penetrated Gibbs’ consciousness and his eyes opened slowly. He knew where he was immediately, which was a good sign. There had been times it had taken him five minutes or more to remember where he was after waking up, and he wasn’t that kind of guy. He was always aware of his surroundings. Tony was sitting up, looming over him, and Gibbs had the impression that Tony had been watching his sleep.

“Just Gibbs is okay. Or Jethro.” Gibbs smiled when Tony wrinkled his nose at that.

“Yeah, my name is Leroy Jethro. I go by Jethro.”

“Why the Jay then?” Tony asked.

“First initial. Some of my friends call me J. We’re friends, aren’t we?”

“Yeah,” Tony said with a nod, and it was plain he wanted to say more, but Gibbs put a hand up, shaking his head.

“Tony, you and I know it, but nobody else will understand. We have to be cool about this until we’ve figured out a way to ease things for them without them getting really upset. I know…I know and I understand. Right now, remember that.”

“Okay.” It was plain that Tony wasn’t happy with that, but he understood.

“Now that we’re alone, you need to be honest with me,” Gibbs started. “I need to know why your father hurt you like this.”

“Do you have to?” Tony asked, and there was a clear whine in his voice.

“I do. And you’re going to tell me. It is the only way I can help you, Tony.”

The younger man sighed and nodded. “Okay. Well, my dad isn’t a good guy. My…the other dad. Not you.”

“Know who you meant,” Gibbs said with a small smile.

“He’s hit me a real lot since my mom died. But this time was the worst. And I caused it.” Tony started shaking slightly and Gibbs slipped an arm around Tony’s shoulders.

“How? You can’t make anyone hit you.” Gibbs tipped Tony’s chin up. “Whatever happened, you didn’t cause this, Tony.”

“Yeah, I did. Remember that blonde Rockette? From the Christmas thing?”

“The one you were checking out? Yeah.” Gibbs had a feeling he could see where this was leading. “You made a move on her and your dad didn’t like it?”

Tony flushed and nodded. “After a reception, I kissed her on the cheek. How could I know that he’s sleeping with her? And half of the rest of the Rockettes. He flipped out and he told me some really horrible things. And then he started hitting me…and he wouldn’t stop. I think he would have killed me if I hadn’t run away. Jay…he said he isn’t my real father. Said he’d give blood and we could run tests but he was sure. My mom is dead, Jay. I only have a couple of uncles and cousins in England from her side. But nobody else. And he said nobody would want me any more.”

Gibbs blinked a few times, shocked and stunned that anyone would treat a boy like that for an honest mistake. It made even more sense now, all of it. “You’re wanted here. You’re wanted with me. You have a father now, Tony. One you chose and one you want.”

Tony turned, hugging him tight. “Thanks…Dad.”

“No thanks needed.”