- Text Size +
Two years later

-----------------------

Things were in full swing again. The building had been repaired and the third and forth floors rebuilt. Bones were healed and scars faded. The agents at NCIS had moved on from the Connor incident, as it had been dubbed.

Tony led his team, which consisted of McGee, Ziva, and probationary Agent Oaks. He drank coffee and had his own set of rules. They had moved on.

Abby’s music reached full volume again. She drank Caf-Pow when Tony brought it to her. Finally being able to detach it from unwanted thoughts. She moved on.

Jimmy had graduated from Medical School and now was working with Ducky full time. He didn’t act nervous anymore. He was assertive and confident. He moved on.

Jenny had hoped he would return soon. Bu after a year, she gave up hope. She assigned Tony as the permanent new leader of he team. McGee was his senior agent. Ziva was still a liaison. Oaks was their probie. To be treated for better or worse. Jenny’s office never was barged into anymore. She grew used to the changes. She moved on.

Ducky was still waiting for his friend. He visited him as often as he could when he learned that he was the only one who still went. He still held out hope.

-----------------------

Ducky noticed something different when he visited his friend one day. Gibbs was sitting up on the bed, his eyes open. Ducky walked in, “Jethro?”

Gibbs turned to him in surprise. “Duck?”

“How long have you been awake Jethro?”

“A couple of hours.”

“Why wasn’t anyone contacted?”

“It’s been two years Ducky, if someone still cared, they would have shown up eventually. And you did.”

“You know how long it’s been?”

“I was told.”

“Oh, I see. What else have you been told? And do you remember?”

“I remember getting into the elevator. That’s about it. I wasn’t told much either. You’re the first visitor I’ve had.”

“Well, here’s the short version. A man took you, Tony, Jenny, Ziva, McGee, and Palmer hostage back at headquarters. Things apparently didn’t go quite according to plan. So they took McGee and Palmer with them and left. Then they blew up the place. Everyone is fine. So don’t worry. Tony and Ziva found a week or so after and got them out safely.”

“Why did they take us hostage in the first place?”

“The man, Adam Lorel, want to kill Palmer.”

“Why?”

“Well, Mr. Palmer can be relieved, you don’t remember. Not that it matters now.”

“What?”

“When Palmer was a teenager his parents were killed. He was under the protection of an NCIS agent when Lorel and his partner tried to kill him. Palmer killed the partner and Lorel fled. He came back for vengeance.”

“I presume I was the one protecting him?”

“Yeah, you were.”

“So Duck, how are things now?”

“Well, Tony is leading the team and Jimmy is no longer a med student. Not much else has changed.” Gibbs glared at him. “That is the truth Jethro. But that’s not what you were asking were you?” Ducky sighed. “I don’t believe you’ll be able to come back and lead the team as you did before. I wish I could say you could, but I can’t.”

They sat in silence for a while. Gibbs finally broke it. “Well, then. I guess it’s time I retire permanently.”

-----------------------

Gibbs entered the elevator at NCIS two weeks later. No one knew he was coming. Ducky hadn’t told anyone he was awake. He got off on the third floor and walked over to the stairs and headed up to the director’s office, ignoring all the people starring at him.

Tony had just strode into the bullpen from Abby’s lab. “Oaks, got anything on- Gibbs?” Tony said as he noticed his former boss walking up the stairs.

“Whoa,” McGee commented. “Anyone know he was awake?”

“I did not. “Ziva commented.

“What do you think he’s going to do?” McGee asked.

“I have no idea.” Tony said.

-----------------------

Cynthia was talking on the phone arranging an appointment when she noticed someone walk right past her and into the director’s office. “Hey you can’t-“ She stopped short after seeing who it was.

-----------------------

Jenny was on the phone with SecNav when someone came into her office. She was about to say something rude to the intruder but stopped when she saw who it was. She hung up the phone. “Jethro?”

He smiled and sat down across from her. “Ducky sure knows how to keep a secret.”

“He knew-wait a minute. How long have you been awake?”

“Two weeks.”

“Oh my- Jethro, we-“ words failed her.

“Jen, it’s okay, it’s been two years. I wasn’t expecting much more”

“I don’t know what I can do for you Jethro, I’m sorry.”

“I thought as much, that’s why I’m retiring, permanently this time.”

“You sure?”

“You said it yourself, there isn’t much you can do. I can’t break up the team DiNozzo has now just to have my job back. Most of my stuff is packed already, you just need to file the paperwork.”

Jenny nodded. “I wish there was more I could do Jethro.”

“Me too.”

-----------------------

Fin