- Text Size +
A figure stood in the doorway. He was starring intently at the two prisoners. He hated that man greatly and now he could get his revenge.

--------------------------

McGee looked up to see a man standing in the doorway. He could see the man’s face; it was happy but yet angry. Such a combination could never be good. He looked over to see Palmer watching the man closely. His fear was written plain on his face. Growing tired of the silence McGee spoke up, “What do you want?”

Surprisingly the man answered. “I want to talk with Michel Connors.” Palmer’s face sunk at the words. He looked even more scared than before.

McGee didn’t know who or what the man was talking about. But if he had to guess, he’d say Palmer knew. Deciding against questioning him now, McGee waited and rather baited the man instead. “We don’t know who that is. Mind filling us in?”

“You know damn well who I mean!” The man shouted walking forward towards them. “Don’t we Jimmy?”

That was confirmation for McGee, Palmer knew, but what did he know? McGee watched Palmer slowly nod his head. McGee groaned to himself, Palmer had no sense sometimes.

“Don’t you know why we need you now Jimmy?” The man grinned.

“Why do you need McGee then?” Palmer answered to McGee’s surprise. He didn’t think Palmer had the guts to challenge the man.

“Well, you’re not of much value on your own. McGee’s just added insurance.”

“Then why’d you say you would have liked to have Gibbs too?”

“McGee, don’t.” Palmer started.

“Aww, that’s a good question McGee. Why don’t you answer him Jimmy? Because it doesn’t seem like he knows the story.”

“No.” Palmer stated firmly.

“Why not, if you don’t tell the story, I will. So start. Then McGee will understand everything. And it will all make sense.” Upon Palmer’s hesitation he added, “Or I will slit your friends throat.”

“Fine.”

-----------------

FLASHBACK! I hope it isn’t very confusing.

-----------------

Michal Connors was your average teenager. He hung out after school with his buddies and chased after girls. His current goal was to get into college on a basketball scholarship. It’s not that he was bad in his studies, he just wouldn’t have enough money any other way, and he happened to be good at the sport.

------------------------------------------

He had just left practice after school. He was headed for his house when his friend, Jim, spotted him. “Hey! Michal! It looks like it’ll rain. Get in, I’ll drive you.”

Michal shrugged and walked over. “Sure.” They drove for a few miles and ended up at Michal’s house. There was a bustle of action going on. There was yellow police tape around the house, and people milling all around the place. “What the hell is going on?”

“I don’t know Michal, but you better figure out. I gotta be going, so if you don’t mind-“

“Oh, sorry.” Michal got out of the car and walked to his house. There were tons of people. There was a police officer standing just inside the tape, and another on the other side of the house. There were people bustling in and out of the house as if they lived there. There was someone talking to his neighbors and another snapping photos everywhere. Michal walked up to the tape and tried to go under it.

“Hey! You can’t come in here. It’s a crime scene.” The police officer at the tape said stepping in front of him.

“I live here.” Michal said standing up straight again.

“Oh, so you’re Michal. Hold on a moment please.” The police officer walked into the house and was gone for a minute before he reappeared with a man holding a cup of coffee walking behind him. The man ducked under the tap and motioned for Michal to follow him. He walked over to truck and stood at the back of it.

“What’s going on?” Michal questioned.

“Michal.” the man sighed. “Your parents were murdered sometime this morning. I’m sorry.”

“What?” Michal whispered softly. “They can’t be…”

“I’m sorry. Look, the people who did this may come back. You will need to be placed under protection-“

“I don’t want to be placed under protection!”

“It’s for your own-“

“I don’t care! I don’t want someone following my every move!”

“I didn’t want to say it this way, but if you don’t you might be killed.”

“I-I don’t care.”

“I know that’s not true. If your parents were still here, would they want you to say that?”

“No. I guess not. But I still don’t like the idea of stranger watching me all the time, it’s creepy.”

“Why don’t you just pick which agent you want watching you, so you feel comfortable.”

“Could you be the one? There’s something about you, you seem different than the others, even though I haven’t even met them.”

“Sure, the FBI is taking over anyway.”

“Why is that?”

“We’re just here as a favor, now stop asking so many questions.”

“Sorry.”

“Never say you’re sorry, it’s a sign of weakness.”

“I thought it took strength to apologize.” The man just glared back.

------------------------------------

Michal found out later that the agent he had talked to was Agent Gibbs, from a NCIS, whatever that was. He seemed all right, but when they were there, people seemed afraid of him.

Michal was now sitting in Gibbs’ car as he drove him to his house. “Why must we go to your house?” Michal asked.

“Safer. They wont know were you have been taken.”

“Oh.” Michal clipped. He resented the idea that someone was after him, who could benefit from that?

---------------------------------------

The next two days were normal. Michal learned that Agent Gibbs on the other hand, definitely was not. He learned he is building a boat in his basement. Doesn’t really watch much television. And has a strange addiction to coffee.

On the third day Michal was reading a book in the guest room when he heard a crash come from downstairs. He jolted upright and then sat back down. It would be a better idea to not do anything. When he heard more crashes he slowly crept out of the room. He tiptoed over to the stairs and peered down. He saw Gibbs fighting with a man, the man barely had a slight advantage. Gibbs kept one arm cradled against his chest and was still nearly overpowering the guy, but he couldn’t keep it up forever. Michal decided to doing something would be a good idea.

He inched down the stairs; neither man noticed being too wrapped up in the fight. Michal scurried down the basement steps and over to the work bench and found what he was looking for. A gun. His father had taken him to a range before so he knew how to use it relatively safely, as safe as guns can be. Luckily the gun was loaded. He was about head up the stairs when he heard steps on the top landing. He looked and saw the man. Before the man could do anything Michal held the gun up and fired three shots at the man. He hit him once, in his abdomen. He stared at the gun and then quickly ran up the stairs jumping over the man who had collapsed on the floor. He saw the front door slam. There’s more than one?! Michal looked around for Gibbs. He saw him on he floor in the hallway. He was unconscious and his head was bleeding. Michal pulled out his phone and dialed.

“911. Please state your emergency.”

----------------------------

Palmer stopped talking. He stared at the floor. Now McGee knows, I might as well tell everyone.

McGee may know but he was still confused. “Palmer, did you change your name?’

“Yes, I changed it a week later. They said it would be a good idea. For my safety.” Palmer looked ashamed.

“Wow…I would never have guessed Jimmy. You seem so different.”

“Well yes, that was a lovely story wasn’t it?” The man said. “Now you’re here so I can get the revenge I want for my partner. You should have died then Michal.”