- Text Size +
Chapter Thirteen



Gibbs couldn’t breathe when the doctor shook his head. All sorts of scenarios ran through his head in a moment and he crossed to the doctor, standing in his personal space, his eyes riveted on the bloody gloves.

“How…” he asked quietly, aware that his voice was shaking. When the doctor didn’t answer, Gibbs’ voice rose to an angry shout. “HOW?”

“Sir…sir, calm down,” the doctor said, glancing over at Ducky. “It isn’t what you think!”
He looked back at Gibbs. “He’s going to be okay!”

The area went completely still and quiet; Gibbs was only aware of his harsh breathing. “He’s okay?” he asked, needing to know, needing to hear it again.

“He will be. He’s very lucky.”

“You shook your head,” Gibbs replied, his voice and anger rising. “You shook your head!” He grabbed the thin material of the sterile outfit the doctor used to cover his clothes and shook the man.

“Jethro!” Ducky explained, rushing forward to grasp his forearm. “Let the gentleman go! He made an honest mistake!”

Gibbs stepped back, head moving from side to side, fists still tightly clenched. He could have lost Tony, just as he was starting to get invested in the young detective. “Bastard,” Gibbs muttered, straining to see Tony as the younger man was wheeled out of the exam room and down the hall. The doctor’s body blocked him, but Gibbs had the sense that all the medical staff was relaxed. There was no sense of urgency about their movements, so he decided to back down until he knew more about the situation.

“What are his injuries and prognosis, Doctor?” Ducky asked. Gibbs tried to calm his rage, listening as the doctor explained that the bullet had glanced off DiNozzo’s rib and skimmed along it, exiting out close by. That was the reason for the initial gush of blood. He’d be kept for observation and, depending on his vitals, he might be released later today.

Ducky thanked the doctor and touched Gibbs on the arm. “Jethro, settle down! What has gotten into you? The young detective will be just fine.”

Gibbs shook off Ducky’s arm. “I need to see him. Now, Duck. Make it happen!” He knew he was being unreasonable; hadn’t realized how rattled he was over this. He was emotionally invested now. As it was, his hands were shaking and he was almost panting. He was never this emotional, never showed his affection and worry over someone he was working with like this. Not unless he was deeply personally involved.

Ducky moved away, muttering something, and Gibbs flipped his cell phone open, scrolling through the numbers to find the one for the Baltimore precinct. He passed the news on that DiNozzo was okay and started pacing, exhaling slowly, trying to calm his racing heart. This had hit close to home. When Gibbs had seen Tony lying there, the blood gushing from his chest, he’d assumed the worst.

Gibbs felt someone touch his arm gently. “They’ll have him in a room in a couple of minutes, Jethro,” Ducky said, handing him a cup of coffee. “This was in the break room, should be a fair bit better than the colored water they serve otherwise. Now, let’s sit down.”

Gibbs allowed Ducky to lead him to a chair and sank into it, hands curving around the Styrofoam cup. He was careful to look at Ducky’s ear rather than his eyes, was worried that Ducky might see the depth of emotion in his eyes and ask him questions he wasn’t quite ready to answer yet.

“Jethro, why has this shaken you so?” Ducky asked softly. “You’ve just met the lad. I know that you’re quite concerned about him, as I would expect, but you’re quite shaken up. You’re never rattled to this extent, not even when Christopher and Stan were held at gunpoint last year. This reminds me of the time when Jenny was injured in Parma, do you remember that? You were in a right state then as well.”

“Duck…” Gibbs warned, sipping the coffee. His hand was shaking and he couldn’t stop it, the residual effects of his nerves taking control for the first time in many years.

“Ah, yes. Of course. You were quite upset then as well. That was the last time I saw so much as a tremor from you, Jethro. You’ve always had such incredible balance and steadiness, and if I might say, it is refreshing to see you’re quite like us normal folk a time or two. You can’t always be closed off to emotions, Jethro. I know you might prefer it that way, but it simply isn’t healthy for you.”

Gibbs didn’t say a word, eyes now fixed on the wall in front of him. He wasn’t going to give Ducky any more food for thought, because Ducky would chew the discussion to death.

“Jethro, might I assume that you’re forging a bond with Anthony, much as you did with Jennifer?”

Gibbs growled, sipping his coffee. There was no way to deny it, Ducky knew him well enough to call Gibbs on his BS. He’d tipped his hand already and Ducky knew that.

“Jethro, look at me,” Ducky said quietly. Gibbs set his jaw stubbornly, unwilling to let Ducky see the emotion Gibbs knew was present there. When Ducky stood and then crouched, staring into Gibbs’ eyes, he didn’t even blink, trying to wipe out all the feeling running through him. “Oh, dear. He is the one we’ve been waiting for, isn’t he? I’d suspected as much. There was something to the way you’d introduced him that I hadn’t heard since you and Burley started working together, even though I assume that your relationship with Stan was a shade more professional.”

Ducky sighed, continuing to stare into Gibbs’ eyes. “You’ve only met this young detective and yet your emotions are fully engaged. I’m not going to ask you what sort of involvement you have or want with him. You see, Jethro, I’m quite open minded. I watched Stan and Jenny fight over your attention for far too long and I saw what I expect was flirtation from you toward Stan. While I know there might be a stigma toward homosex"“

“Enough, Duck!” Gibbs stood and began pacing. He hated when anyone tried to get a read on him, and Ducky had always been accurate to a fault. “Find out where he’s been taken and don’t bother me until you have a room number.”

Gibbs didn’t like treating Ducky this way, but he couldn’t help himself right now. He was too worried and concerned about DiNozzo, and far too guarded about his own private life. Whatever this was between him and DiNozzo, it was staying just between them.

“Jethro, I didn’t mean that you were…” Ducky tried again, trailing off when Gibbs glared at him.

“Doctor Mallard, this is none of your business. Get me the information. That is what I need from you now.”

Ducky blinked a few times, genuine hurt shining in his eyes. “Very well then, Agent Gibbs. This will need to be dealt with at a later date.”

“Nothing to deal with,” Gibbs bit out.

“I respectfully disagree. You’re forming a relationship with that boy, Jethro. You’re not hiding anything from me.” Ducky melted away and Gibbs leaned against the wall, allowing himself to sag against it for a moment. Ducky’s words had hit way too close to him. Problem was, Gibbs didn’t know what to do about it all. His mind drifted back to the banter they’d shared, the sexual energy between them, and he knew he had to be smiling.

Gibbs blinked a few times as Ducky’s voice broke through his memories of last night. “Room 2385…Jethro, are you with me? I said he’s in room 2385.” Gibbs pulled in a breath, nodding.

“Meet you there, Ducky,” he said, racing to the elevator. He needed to see for himself that DiNozzo was okay.