- Text Size +
Chapter Five

They stared at each other for a full minute, Tony’s eyes boring into Gibbs’, the most assertive gesture he could manage under the onslaught of the other man’s command and control. Tony could believe that Gibbs had been a leader in both military and civilian lives. When his voice alone had Tony saying things he never though he’d utter to a man or a woman.

“Mine too,” Tony finally stated, his voice more squeak than command.

Gibbs cocked his head, arching an eyebrow but didn’t say a word. Tony held out for maybe twenty seconds before he was compelled to speak, to break the silence. “You’re mine,” Tony said. “Two way street here, Gibbs.”

Gibbs just continued to watch him and Tony refused to break that gaze, knowing that if he did, the other man would have less respect for him. And for some reason, Gibbs’ respect meant the world to Tony. More than his captain, more than Bart, more than his girlfriends. Tony wanted and needed this man to respect him.

“Yours,” Gibbs said finally, a small smile playing over his features. “Don’t know what you’re diving into, DiNozzo.”

“What? The pool is much shallower than I expected.”

At that, Gibbs let out a laugh, mussing Tony’s hair before he went back to his seat. Tony breathed a sigh of relief. The nearness was getting to him, completely overwhelming him. “Much, much deeper.”

“Good, I like a challenge.” Tony licked his lips and dug back in to his food, twirling more pasta on a fork. “Life is no fun if you’re bored, Gibbs.”

Gibbs picked up his own fork again, giving Tony a pensive look. “Don’t think being with you will ever be boring,” he remarked before he, too, resumed eating.

Tony smirked at that. Everyone in his life underestimated him, considered him to be simple and uncomplicated when the opposite was true. He wore masks as necessary in a law enforcement position, but his high standards had always allowed for the hope that someone would look past them, that someone would consider the man behind the frat boy. When people didn’t, the disappointment cut deep and that was one of the main reasons he’d left his former positions. Tony desperately wanted respect, and his superiors kept letting him down.

“Got a lot on your mind, Tony?” Gibbs’ voice broke into his thoughts, and Tony flushed, looking up from his plate to meet those brilliant blue eyes staring into his.

“What makes you think that?” Tony asked carefully. He was always so sure around social situations, but this man left him completely off kilter.

“Your eyes darken when you’re deep in thought,” Gibbs replied, a serious tone in his voice rather than the teasing flirtation or sexually laced intensity of earlier. “When you get introspective, they darken a whole shade.”

Tony didn’t want to be pegged by anyone, especially not a future lover. “What are you, a profiler?” he shot back in annoyance. “Or are you just so focused on getting me in your bed that you’re trying to shrink me to keep me off balance?”

Tony knew he’d gone too far when a wall came down behind Gibbs’ eyes. The other man’s body language remained the same, but those eyes were ice instead of passion now.

“Well, if that’s what you think…” Gibbs said in a completely expressionless voice, eating slowly and methodically now. Tony realized Gibbs wasn’t going to make eye contact and sighed inwardly.

So much for getting some…

Tony winced at the road his thoughts and mouth had taken. He didn’t really think that Gibbs was so manipulative, but he was sick and tired of being off balance, of this other man dominating his personal space and wrenching out his emotions that he’d pushed back, hard.

Maybe he could save this. “No,” Tony said softly. “I don’t think that. Was trying to provoke.”

“Why?” Gibbs asked, meeting his eyes again, this time in curiosity.

“Because I’m used to being the guy in control. I’m not used to someone pushing all my buttons. I’m not used to being…”

“Prey,” Gibbs finished for him.

“Prey?” Tony echoed before he nodded. “Yeah, I guess.”

“Think maybe you need to be shaken up?” Gibbs asked the question casually, but Tony knew there was deeper intent behind the words. “Think maybe you need to be dragged out of your comfort zone?”

“Hadn’t.” And it wasn’t something Tony was comfortable with.

“You’re a damned talented guy spinning your wheels here, Tony. I’m gonna shake things up, but I guarantee you’ll be a better man because of it. In and out of bed.”

That said, Gibbs turned his attention back to his food, leaving Tony to watch him.

It was a delicate dance, this seduction. Gibbs knew that he’d come on way too strong initially, his need and predator instincts taking hold over common sense. And just now, with the sauce and Tony’s mouth wrapped around his finger…. He could have taken the man then and there. It was only the way Tony moved closer and then pulled back that made Gibbs control himself. He could tell that despite Tony’s need there was still reluctance that went beyond nervousness and anticipation.

And despite how hard he was, Gibbs knew he had to set the other man’s mind at ease. He studied his food, eating methodically as he pondered his next move. Tony clearly needed an authority figure that understood and trusted him; it would be very bad if Gibbs rejected him or gave him that perception. But he also knew that pushing Tony to have sex right now could damage what he wanted to be a more permanent arrangement.

“Tony, much as we want each other, we don’t have to do this tonight,” he said, pure regret in his voice. “It can wait until tomorrow, or a few days…”

Tony looked at him and a flash of relief and gratitude shone in the depths of his eyes before he masked it. “I know,” Tony replied, but he sounded uncertain.

“You want me. I want you. What harm will a couple of days make? I don’t mind waiting so that I know you’re comfortable when it happens.”

“It will happen?” Tony asked, a casual question that Gibbs knew held a much deeper meaning.

“Yeah, it’ll happen.”

Gibbs finished eating the meal, collecting the plates and rinsing them off. Tony joined him after a few minutes, and they worked together in silence, washing and drying the pot and dishes. When they were done, Tony gestured toward the living room. “I’ll bring the beer; you find a game or something. We’re both too keyed up to get to sleep yet.”

“What time does your shift start?”

“Nine. I usually get in about seven thirty.”

Gibbs nodded. So far, all of his pre-conceived notions about DiNozzo were coming true. He drifted into the living room, eyeing the comfortable, overstuffed couch and the TV and entertainment center overflowing with DVDs. He didn’t want to monkey with confusing remotes, so he just walked to the TV and turned it on, quickly finding a basketball game. He settled into the corner of the couch and relaxed.

The edge of his sexual hunger had been dampened by good food and an interesting conversation, and Gibbs found the tension finally slipping away. He settled his back against the couch and wiggled in deep, eyes closing and a small smile blossoming.

“You look good enough to eat, Gibbs.” Tony’s voice, deep and rough with need, penetrated his consciousness and his eyes flew open.

Gibbs might be a lot of things, but he wasn’t a fool. He spread his legs slightly and tipped his hips upward. “Hungry for dessert?”
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks so much to Anna and Nikita for the beta!!