- Text Size +
CHAPTER 2:

The smells of antiseptic and ammonia were strong, burning his throat as he breathed, blending with the familiar scents of coffee and sawdust. He could hear a low rhythmic thumping that seemed to echo around him, mixing with other noises floating through the air. His mouth was dry and scratchy as he tried to swallow and wet his cracked lips. Unexpectedly he felt the tip of a straw at his split lips, as a gentle hand brushed his hair back from his forehead. Then a soft voice, that seemed familiar, drifted to his ears,.

“Easy, Tony, take small slow sips.” the low voice told him soothingly. “Don’t try to move to much, the doctors have you hooked up to a bunch of stuff.”

Tony sipped at the straw, feeling cool sweet water trickle down his parched throat, before the straw was taken away. A soft moan vibrated low in his throat at the loss of the water. He tried to open his crusted eyes, but the light had him squeezing them closed tightly again with a groan. He heard a shuffling, then the voice drifted toward him again, low and soothing.

“There, I’ve turned off the lights, so you should be able to open your eyes now without pain. Just take it slow, there’s no need to rush anything. I’ve got your six.”

Again he tried to open his eyes, and as his lids opened, Tony looked cautiously around darkened the room. He was in a hospital room, he knew that simply by the smell, there was a chair on either side of his bed. The one on the right held a rumpled blanket, while the one on the left, nearest the door, held a duffle bag, that had a couple of books thrown on top. He wrinkled his nose at the sight of the pale beige walls, as he silently surveyed the rest of the contents of the room, his emerald gaze settling on the other person in the room, the owner of the voice, standing hidden in the shadows Tony’s brow wrinkled as that thought flitted through his mind, not able to put the voice together with the person, until he spoke.

“Ducky is on his way here, once he gets here he’ll explain things and let us know what we should be doing and what to expect in your recovery.” the other man was older, with graying hair and brilliant blue eyes. He was tall, with broad shoulders. He wore faded blue jeans and an old T-shirt, his eyes had bags under them, providing a telltale sign of a lack of sleep. Concern for the older man flowed through him as Tony took in his appearance. Slowly Tony finished his perusal of the room., his gaze once again settling on the older man as a familiar. He knew he was suppose to know who he was, the man felt familiar, but Tony couldn’t place where he knew him from or what his name was through the heavy fog that seemed to hold his memory captive. He was confused and opened his mouth, but couldn’t find his voice, so he closed it again.

There was a commotion outside his door, he flinched at the noise, but relaxed as he felt a strong, gentle hand on his ankle, giving a reassuring squeeze. Tony’s green gaze met the older man’s, and he felt his body relax in response to the lack of tension in the other man. He wasn’t sure how, but he knew instinctively that whatever was on the other side of his door wouldn’t hurt him, simply because the other man was relaxed. The other man made him feel safe in a way he was sure he had never felt before. It was there in his gaze, that he would stand beside him and face with him what ever he needed to. The door opened, and in walked a scholarly looking gentleman, who smiled at the silent man standing beside his bed, before looking toward Tony. As his compassionate grey eyes encountered Tony’s green ones his grin widened into a friendly smile, his face open and caring. Tony liked him immediately.

“Ahh, Anthony, it’s good to see you awake. How are you feeling, my dear boy?” his voice was gentle, with a Scottish lilt to it. Again the sense of familiarity came over Tony and while he tried to smile, he only succeeded in a confused grimace.

“Ducky.” the silent man, spoke quietly, “Did you get a look at his chart?”

“Oh, yes, Jethro. I did. However, I’m afraid that without more tests we won’t be able to see what all they did to him, and as he hasn’t allowed those tests, it could be quite a while before we know the long term results of some of the experiments they performed. His other injuries, such as the broken leg, the lacerations, bruises, and his broken hand will all heal quite nicely as long as he follows the doctors instructions. In fact, most of the lacerations are already healing at an incredible rate.”

“Tony, No!” The man, Jethro, exclaimed sharply, catching the younger man before he could end up in the floor. “I told you, not to move, you’re going to hurt yourself.” Gently Jethro helped Tony back into the bed, looking at Ducky, worry clear in his gaze.

“Boss? It‘s really you right?” Tony rasped, speaking for the first time since he woke up.

“Yes, Tony, it’s really us.” the man answered with a patience that was uncommon for him.

“Relax, my dear boy, right now you have several medications being given to you and after an experience such as yours, it is understandable that you’d be confused.” Ducky reassured him, in a manner that told Tony, that they’d had this conversation before.

“Sorry. It’s just all confused.” Tony answered quietly. “They played tricks on me, made me think you were there, then . . .” he trailed off with a shudder.

“DiNozzo,” Jethro spoke calmly, “I am as real as you are, so is Ducky. We are not going to leave, understand?” he asked as he tipped up the younger man’s chin, his cobalt gaze clear and fierce with promise.

“Quite right, it is as Jethro says, we are here to stay and help you. You are safe, Anthony.” Ducky agreed. “However, to keep you healing properly, you need to stay in bed and rest. I am sure that your doctor will be along shortly.”

Looking from one man to the other, he slowly nodded his acceptance, then he asked “What happened? How bad am I hurt?”

“We’re not really sure Tony. But we found you in a glass cage, we have no idea what has been done to you. We do know that you sustained numerous bruises and broken bones, from being restrained and beaten.” Gibbs told him, then hesitating, looked to Ducky, who then took over the explanation.

“There is also evidence of several other medical procedures. Incisions along your chest and stomach, some along your back were carefully made and taken care of properly, apparently to avoid infection. However I am afraid that we are not certain what procedures were performed or their purpose, we need the doctors to run their tests, so that we might understand what is going on inside that body of yours.”

Fear lit the younger man’s pale face, his green eyes wide for a moment as he took in what they had told him. Then he looked up into his boss’ face as he asked hopefully, “Can’t Ducky do the tests?”

“I will certainly be here every step of the way, and answer any questions you might have about any of the proceedings, but I am afraid that this is a bit out of my realm of expertise.” Ducky tried to comfort him.

“But doctors did this, whatever this may be to me, I just . . . I . . . I can’t, please don’t . . .” again he trailed off as fear threatened to overwhelm him. His heart rate increased alarmingly as his breathing became fast and irregular, causing a harsh wheezing sound.

“Anthony! You must calm down, it’ll be all right.” Ducky soothed. “We will talk with your doctor when he arrives and if you still feel this way, then of course I will do anything in my power to help.”

Tony stared at the M.E. for several minutes, trying to decide if he meant what he was saying or if he was trying to deceive him. Keeping his eyes on the doctor, following an instinct that had come out of no where, he inhaled deeply and slowly through his nose, searching the air for proof. He could sense only the desire to help and protect coming from the physician. He nodded and relaxed as trust settled over him. A moment later all traces of ease was ripped from his body as abrasive and impatient sensations slammed into him, causing his body to go rigid as a doctor and nurse walked in.

“Ahh, good morning Mr. DiNozzo, it is good to see you awake finally.” the doctor spoke all the while looking at the chart in his hands, his voice detached and aloof. The nurse paused at the doorway, noticing the tension in the room.

Gibbs stepped up next to the bed, placing a calming hand on Tony’s uninjured shoulder, his glare darkening at the intruding doctor. Tony tensed, then shrank back into the bed, a low moan rumbling from his throat. Instinctively, Gibbs placed himself between Tony and the doctor, blocking Tony’s view of the doctor, as he wrapped a protective arm around the Italian’s shoulders. At the contact, Tony leaned into Gibbs and burrowed as best he could into Gibbs broad chest, seeking the protection he could feel surging from the older agent.

At the reaction, the nurse placed a hand on the doctor’s arm, causing the doctor to finally look up at his patient. Sighing heavily, the doctor spoke, “Mr. DiNozzo, if you refuse to cooperate, I’m afraid we’ll have to sedate you and put you into restraints, so please do not make this harder than it has to be.” the doctor said thoughtlessly.

“Perhaps you could give him a moment to calm himself and relax.” Ducky suggested firmly. The doctor sighed forcefully, but nodded as Gibbs spoke quietly to Tony, rubbing soothing circles over his back. Seeing his patient relax in his supervisor’s embrace, the doctor frowned disapprovingly, but approached them determinedly.

Tony could smell the antiseptic on the doctor and feel the impatience and disgust rolling off him and he reacted, turning flashing hard green eyes on the doctor as a fierce growl erupted from the younger man. Tony swung his casted arm in a arc, clipping the doctor in the side of the head, as he tried to shove Gibbs away from the doctor.

“Anthony!” Ducky yelled, shocked at the Italian’s actions.

Only Gibbs’ arms around the younger man kept Tony from launching himself at the doctor as snarls continued to rumble from the his throat and chest. Gibbs’ face was dark with anger as he struggled to keep Tony in the bed and away from the doctor. Tony fought him struggling and growling, trying to get between Gibbs and the doctor. Gibbs’ felt his grip slipping and Tony’s hands seizing his upper arms as he roughly thrust Gibbs behind him as he bounded from the bed, ripping his I.V.s from his arm and wires from his chest pressing his back against Gibbs’ chest, backing them towards the wall. Gibbs tried shoving past Tony, only to be thrown back behind him, Tony’s grip tightening warningly.

“Mr. DiNozzo! Calm down!” the doctor hollered.

“Get back!” Tony growled in response.

“Anthony!” Ducky bellowed, “Enough of this! You get out of here NOW!” he roared to the doctor and nurse pointing to the door. “Anthony, control yourself!” Ducky stood in front of Tony, trying to reason with him through the snarls and grumbles that still rumbled deep in his throat. “They are gone, and are not able to hurt you or Jethro.” he assured the younger man, noticing how he refused to let Jethro from behind him.

“DiNozzo!” Gibbs barked, his tone commanding attention, instantly Tony stopped snarling as he looked to Gibbs, his face anxious. Softer, more gently, Gibbs spoke directly into Tony’s ear. “Enough. They’re gone and they won’t be coming back, I promise. You can settle down now.” Waiting until he got a small nod as a response, before he continued, coming around to face him as he asked, “Think you can let Ducky take a quick look at you?” Emerald eyes peered back at Gibbs filled with trust as Tony leaned his head once again against Gibbs chest, inhaling his reassuring scent as he acquiesced. “Good” Gibbs whispered giving his neck a encouraging squeeze, then embracing Tony, offering strength and support, before moving out of Ducky‘s way and perched on the bed behind Tony.

Quickly and with care, Ducky completed a physical exam, talking soothingly the entire time. He told Tony what he was going to do before he did it, all the while regaling him with one of his stories. Slowly, Tony relaxed once again with the two men, following Ducky with his eyes, with Gibbs settled solidly behind him. “All right, Anthony, there is one other thing that I would like to do one last thing, but I will only do it if I have your full agreement, understand?” Ducky asked kindly. At Tony’s nod, he continued, “Good, my lad, now I would like to draw some blood.” Ducky paused gauging his reaction. The Italian paled considerably at the sight of the syringe that he set next to three empty vials on a tray next to the bed. Tony’s reaction to the needle surprised neither man, since it was a well know fact that he hated needles. Tony’s fingers whitened as his grip on Gibbs’ arm tightened painfully, causing the older man to wince and murmur soothingly to Tony. Ducky waited with his customary patience as Tony listened to Jethro a moment, then placed his arm trustingly in Ducky’s outstretched hand.

“That’s a good job, Tony” Gibbs praised as he unconsciously pressed a kiss to Tony’s temple as Ducky drew the blood. Gently, he smoothed Tony’s shaggy, auburn hair from his eyes, stroking a hand down his chest. Tony eased back against Gibbs, weariness over coming him as Ducky withdrew the needle. Within moments sleep overcame him, and Gibbs tightened his arms as he leaned back against the bed, with Tony resting peacefully on his chest. Meeting Ducky’s gaze, Gibbs simply shrugged a shoulder while a small pleased smile played at the corners of his mouth.

“I shall see to getting these samples to Abby, then perhaps we should look into other accommodations for Anthony here. Ducky said as he stood.

“Yeah, I was thinking the same thing and may have a good idea where we can hold up until he’s healed.”

“You should consider taking time off with him, Jethro, you are a calming, steady influence on him. However, you may have to accept the fact that this last incident may be the one that he can’t heal from.”

“No.” Gibbs stated firmly, stubbornly. “Tony’s come back from worse and we’ve always been there every step of the way and we will be again. The entire team, our family, will be there for him.”

“Of course, Jethro, I simply meant that this could get worse before it gets better.”

“Yeah, I know, Duck.” Gibbs agreed. “We need to find out what went down, while he was under, and why the Director picked him for it.”

“Yes, well, I am sure that you will let me know what I can do to help.” Ducky murmured.

Gibbs simply nodded and the M.E. prepared to leave. “Duck?” Ducky looked up from gathering his things, an eyebrow raised in question. “What do you think they did to him?”

“Well, Jethro, I can’t say for certain, but from what I have been reading in those files, I fear that the worse is coming. Some of their experiments had astounding leaps of science. I just pray that our Anthony has better luck than some of the subjects I’ve read about so far.”

“Keep me informed.” Ducky simply nodded at the command.

So focused on their friend and their worry, neither man noticed the slender, pale haired woman watching the activity through the observation window. She closed iridescent silver-green eyes inhaling the scents of the men in the room. A small smile played at her mouth as she caught the unmistakable scent of life-mates. She would report to the command center, giving the Italian and his friends a few more days to search for their answers. Then, depending on the response she got from the chief, she would give them the answers they were searching for. Quietly she turned to leave, as she noticed the doctor heading toward the door,confident in the knowledge that the older agent and the others would be able to protect and support the Italian while his body adjusted to its changing composition.