- Text Size +
Chapter 3:

Abby stared at the results on her computer screen in disbelief. The first time she’d thought she’d made a mistake, but this was the third test she’d run and the results were the same. `It couldn’t be possible could it?’ she thought as she stared, reaching for the speaker phone on her table, pressing the number for Ducky’s extension. Kate and McGee had walked in at that moment, carrying tubs of evidence, and were looking at her, puzzled. “Ducky?

“Abigail, my dear, have you found something?” Ducky’s voice came over the speaker, scratchy and uneven.

“I need you to come up here and see if I’m reading the results right, Ducky.”

“We’re on our way now, my dear.” with that there was a light click and Abby pressed the disconnect button.

“What is it Abby?” Kate asked, noticing the young Goth was even paler than normal.

Turning to look at Kate and McGee, her dark eyes troubled, her dark red lips quivering slightly, she shakes her head to tell them to give her a moment. The doors to her lab slide open and Ducky and his partner and assistant walk in, both wearing solemn expressions. Quietly Ducky peers at the computer, reading the result to himself, before sharing a look with Abby. “Oh, my dear, this could be very bad.” he murmurs.

“What could be bad? Would one of you please tell us what is going on? What did you find Abby?” Kate asked, fear lacing through her voice.

Ducky turned to her and McGee, then looked to the tubs of evidence they’d brought back with them from the warehouse they had found Tony in. In one tub were the files that he had been reading, experiments were detailed in each about different subjects, hosts, as they termed the people and animals used in their experiments. Some of the experiments had positive results, and advantages, increased healing rate, hyper acute senses, and some additional psychological consequences, that had yet to be determined in the files. However, Ducky had also read about those that had been considered failures. It was the idea of these that had him cringing, the thought at what his young friend had suffered was decidedly distressing. Taking a deep breath, Ducky looked to the two agents, feeling a warm encouraging hand engulf his, his grey eyes met those of his long time partner, Gerald, as he began explaining what they believed to have happened to Tony. “It seems, my dear Caitlin, that Tony was used in cross-species, cross-genetics experiments. That is what those offensive scientists were using all those people and animals, that you found in that warehouse, for. I’ve been reading through their files and I’m afraid that the experiments they used on Tony were a bit more extensive, than the others. I’m not really sure how yet, but it seems he was used in more than one, unlike the others.”

“Cross-species experiments? What does that mean? Is it even possible?” Kate asked, confused and worried.

“Cross-genetics? I didn’t think that the medical community was that far in their genetics exploration.” this came from McGee, who was thoughtful. “I knew that there were companies that were exploring genetic alteration, but I hadn’t thought that it had gotten to the experimenting stages, I thought it was still in the theorizing phase.”

“So now the question is who has the knowledge to perform these tests . . .” Abby began quietly.

“And who has the money to fund their research.” Kate finished for her.

“Absolutely, my dears.” Ducky commended their thoughts. “We also need to try to hurry the search along. I am afraid that what was done to Tony may start showing definite side effects soon. And I know that Jethro will want to know about them before they occur, so we have a hope of countering them quickly and quietly.”

“I think I found a place to start Ducky.” Tim stated. “Abby look up Ladocourt Labs. We need to know who’s behind it, who’s funding them.”

“Right.” Abby nodded as her fingers flew over her keyboard. While she navigated her way through endless sites of medical labs and discoveries, McGee and Kate spent the time going over all the physical evidence gathered from the warehouse, hopping for another lead. Ducky and Gerald continued going through the files on each and every host and test subject that had been found in the warehouse.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“They have discovered Ladocourt, sir. If given too much more time they could learn about your involvement as well as mine.”

“This wasn’t suppose to occur in this manner. You assured me that all would be taken care of from your end. You assured me that you had your people under control, that they would be kept to busy to search for Anthony.” the cold voice matched the frigid, colorless gray eyes of the man before her.

“I know sir, but need I remind you, that when you brought me this proposal, I did tell you that Special Agent Gibbs could be a problem. I did try to warn you, sir.” the woman spoke with a confidence that came from her position, but only served to reduce her value to the business man. Her tone indicated that she believed any mistaken assumptions had not been made by her. It angered him, that she thought she could speak to him as an equal, when she was nothing more than a means to an end, an end that she had failed to help bring about. “It wasn’t me that misjudged Agent DiNozzo and his ability to withstand your suggestive training.”

“Need I remind you, to whom you are speaking, Madam Director? I was the one who facilitated your rise to Director, I suggest you remember and respect that, or I shall be forced to alter my decision.” the man replied coldly.

“Nnno sir.” she stammered, then noticing his narrowing eyes, she drew herself up to attention, saying clearly, “I will take care of it sir. I will make sure that their search is stopped and that DiNozzo gets no farther in his convalesce.”

“See that you do.” and with that he turned on his heal and strode away, leaving her standing in the parking lot alone.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“They are getting closer to answering their questions Chief.”

“Yes, I know Rhea. And I also understand your desire to help them in their quest for answers, however, you know as do I that they are less likely to believe what they are told, rather than what the discover for themselves. We shall give them a few more days in their search, then do our best to help them. Nevertheless, I want you to stay close to them, we don’t know how his body will react to its changes.”

“Yes sir.” Rhea murmured.

“Good, now is there any news on the agency funding Dr. Crayton’s research at Ladocourt Labs?”

“No, not yet sir. I have several of our operatives following up on a couple of leads found in the warehouse, that Gibbs team has yet to realize. Hopefully, we will find the name behind the money.”

“Good work Rhea. Keep me posted.” Atlas acknowledged with a small nod of his dark head, his onyx eyes shone with approval for the petite woman before him.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tony drifted to the surface of consciousness, following the scent of coffee. He smiled slightly as he opened his green eyes, expecting to see his boss in the chair next to his bed holding an extra large cup of his beloved beverage. Instead he stared puzzled, he was alone in the room, Gibbs no where in sight, yet he could still smell the coffee as if it were right under his nose. The scent of sawdust, though weaker was still present enough to be detected. He inhaled deeply and he caught the over-powering odors of the hospital, causing him to feel dizzy and light headed. Looking around, thinking Gibbs was just outside the door to his room, Tony cocked his head to the right trying to hear the faintest hint of his presence. He couldn’t hear his boss talking anywhere near the room, but he could hear other voices that sounded familiar drift through the closed door of his room.

Sighing, he struggled to push himself into a sitting position in the bed, his muscles were weak and he tired easily, but after a few minutes he managed. He had expected to be in more pain and have less coordination, especially after everything they suspected had been done to him, but he was moving fairly easy. His chest was the worst, the incisions pulled when he twisted or moved to fast. For once his head injuries seemed to be the least of his worries. That thought brought a muted smile to his lips. He was settling back as the door opened, causing Tony to flinch at the noise, instinctively shrinking back against the bed as he tried to make himself unnoticeable by the intruder. The intense aroma of coffee and sawdust produced an immediate easing of the tension that gripped Tony. A smile spread across his face as he said, “Hey Boss. Smelled you coming.”

“DiNozzo.” Gibbs said holding out a cup of Tony’s favorite vanilla, hazelnut hot chocolate, unconsciously matching his voice to Tony’s volume. Tony sniffed at the drink and breathed a sigh of pleasure at the familiar scent. “How are you feeling today, Tony?” Gibbs asked.

“Better, still a little confused, but my memory is starting to clear. Don’t hurt as much as I thought I would. My senses feel a bit hinky, I’m hearing and smelling things I don’t think I should be able to.” Tony told him honestly, surprising not only Gibbs, but himself as well. Usually when asked how he was doing his standard answer was `fine’, even though they both knew that he was usually anything but, except today, he seemed to be unable to tell his boss anything, but the absolute truth.

The door opened again and in walked Ducky and Abby, causing another wince from Tony as the door scraped loudly across the floor, in his ears. Seeing Tony awake, Abby smiled brightly, hurrying to his side, giving him a gentle hug, conscious of all the wires hooked to him. “Tony! I’m so happy you’re awake!” she exclaimed in her normal animated way, then she punched him lightly in his uninjured arm and ordered firmly, “You have to stop doing this to me! Promise!”

“Geeze Abs, it’s not like I do this on purpose. This kind of shit always just happens to me. But I promise I’ll try harder to keep from getting hurt, next time.” he laughed lightly, then sighed as he breathed in her familiar scent. “You smell great Abs.” he whispered into her ear as she bent down to give him another hug, making her giggle.

“Now I know you’re sick. I haven’t showered in two days and I’ve been shut up in a stuffy lab almost the entire time!”

“Maybe, but you still smell good to me.” he assured her seriously. Gibbs snorted at this, his mouth turning up a little at the corners, causing Tony and Abby to laugh.

“It’s good to see you in good humor Anthony, my boy.” Ducky stated, speaking for the first time since they’d entered. Looking at Ducky, Tony smiled in greeting.

“Hey Duck. “

“What have you got Duck?” Gibbs asked, knowing that the M.E. wouldn’t have brought Abby unless they had found something.

“Well, Abigail and I have some rather interesting news, Jethro.” the M.E. began.

Hearing a tentative note in the doctor’s voice, Tony’s eye immediately searched for Gibbs. Gibbs studied his old friend, then automatically moved closer to Tony’s bed, laying a comforting hand on the younger man’s arm, squeezing reassuringly. Tony’s eyes narrowed as he inclined his head to the left faintly, studying the doctor. Closing sharp green eyes, Tony listened intently as he heard Ducky’s heart rate speed up, indicating his apprehension to discussing the results of the tests he and Abby had run. A faint aroma of sweat drifted through the air, causing a baffled expression to appear on Tony’s face as he stated, “You’re nervous Ducky.

Ducky looked at him in surprise a moment, then his gray eyes met Abby’s dark ones as the two shared a look. He raised an eyebrow in question and she nodded her encouragement and acknowledgement. She too had noticed that Gibbs had stepped protectively to Tony’s side, resting a hand on his arm. Grey eyes met blue a moment, then held green as he said, “Yes, Anthony, I suppose you’re right, my boy. I’m not exactly sure how to explain our results. I’m afraid they have led us to more questions than answers, but I shall endeavor to explain properly.”

“Just spit it out Duck, usually helps a bit.” Gibbs ordered gruffly.

“It’s okay Ducky, I can take it.” Tony assured him.

“We ran every test we could think of and even after going through the files that were found in the warehouse with you, well your results, they still shocked us.” Abby told him hesitantly.

Their hesitation and unease, worried both Tony, triggering a low ominous growl to rumble in his chest. Abby’s eyes widened and she took a step back, looking at Gibbs and Ducky in shock. Gibbs’ hand tightened warningly on his arm, bringing Tony’s attention to him, he shook his head once, silently telling the younger man to calm down and wait until they told him what was wrong. Amazingly enough, Tony returned his nod with one of his own and the growling stopped.

“Yes, well, as I was saying, the results were rather interesting.” taking a deep breath the M.E. plundered on, “We believe that while you were held captive, you were used as a host for several experiments.”

“These experiments were meant to alter your DNA, Tony,” Abby put in.

“What?!” both Gibbs and Tony exclaimed.