- Text Size +
Chapter 4:

“DeMarcus’ team has found the personal records of Dr. Crayton. They are going over them as we speak. Hopefully we will learn more details about the procedures they used.” Rhea informed Atlas.

“Good. How is the agent doing?”

“His body seems to be adapting to its alterations, his team’s easy acceptance appears to be facilitating his adjustment.” Rhea told him. “The M.E. and the forensics specialist are researching long-term effects of the tests, but keep hitting a blank wall, because they don’t know what tests or procedures were performed on Agent DiNozzo.”

“I suspect it is time for us to help them in their quest for answers.” Atlas stated quietly. “Has there been any advancement in the search for the funding of Dr. Crayton’s research?”

“No, not yet.” Silver-grey eyes peered into onyx as she spoke, “I’ll direct Agent DiNozzo’s friends in the right direction, shall I?”

“Yes, I think that should be sufficient for now, once we have more information about the funding and Dr. Crayton’s actual research, then we will reveal ourselves.” Rhea nodded her acceptance and understanding, turning on her heel and walking out of the large office.
___________________________________________________________________________


Gibbs studied Tony as he slept; the bruises that had covered his body darkly just days ago were already a pale yellowish color. The incisions were still red and slightly raw, but Ducky had assured him that they were healing properly. There were dark circles under Tony’s eyes, but that was also normal for Tony, when the man was sick or injured. As he studied Tony, Ducky and Abby’s words played through his mind.

Flashback:
“It shocked us too, my friends. However, reading through the files it seems that the Doctor who created this procedure has been testing and perfecting it for years. We have documentation of earlier subjects who did not fare as well as you have Anthony.” Ducky told them quietly.

“Yeah, Tony. Some of those people became seriously deformed or ended up in a vegetative state, most died though.” Abby put in solemnly. “We think that by the time they, whoever they are, took you they knew what they were doing.”

“They injected you with hormones to help your body accept the trials they were putting it through and bond with the modified DNA they were trying to meld with yours.” Ducky continued. “Performing small stages and waiting until your body had adapted before continuing helped greatly, I believe.”

“How is it possible?” Tony asked quietly.

“We’re not exactly sure Tony.” Abby answered apologetically. “We’re looking into it.”

“What did they change me into?” Tony wondered.

“That I can tell you to some extent.” Abby said with a small smile. “And once we know what the side effects, if any, are, you never know, this could turn out to be a useful thing.” She added optimistically.

“Abs.” Gibbs growled impatiently, speaking for the first time since their explanation started.

“Right Bossman.” Then to Tony, she said. “Well, according to your blood work, they combined your DNA to those of several large felines.”

“Yes, they appear to have been able to isolate the genetic code for specific characteristics of each species.” Ducky put in. “It is those genetic codes that were combined with your DNA.”

“So what does that mean exactly?” Tony asked.

“Well, until we find the file and documentation concerning the procedures, we don’t know which traits or species they used.” Abby said.

“So, now we have more questions.” Gibbs stated.

“I’m afraid so, Jethro.” Ducky told them regretfully.

“You mentioned deformities Abs, am I . . .?” Tony couldn’t finish the question.

“What? No! At least I don’t think so; there is documentation that is dated within the last few years that has shown that they were able to fix those problems. What makes you different is that they used several subjects and made a Genetic cocktail before they combined it with yours. The hosts before you were only united with one animal and you have at least three that we know of at the moment.” Abby explained. “You may experience some physical changes such as muscle mass, eye color or shape, hair color, but I don’t think it’ll be anything major.” She reassured.

“I believe it will affect you more in your senses, rather than physically. From the files that Gerald and I have read and gone through that seems to be the common effects, an increase in your normal senses.” Ducky added.

“So that explains his acute sense of smell and why he flinches at the smallest sound.” Gibbs concluded.

End Flashback:

Gibbs looked for any outward physical changes in the man before him and saw very few. Tony was thinner, his body more defined. His eyes seemed greener than their normal green-grey color, and it thought they had changed shape, the irises and pupils more oval rather than round. `Must be the feline coming out.’ Gibbs thought with a smirk. His eyes traveled over Tony taking in every detail, he knew that most people probably wouldn’t have noticed the small transformations, but he’d spent years perfecting watching Tony, taking in all the minute details of the man. Most of the conversions that Gibbs had noticed so far hadn’t been physical, but rather behavioral and sensorial. Gibbs shook his head as he remembered Tony’s reaction to the doctor and nurse when he’d regained consciousness. While it was common knowledge that doctors and hospitals put Tony on edge he had never behaved that savagely before, and definitely hadn’t felt the need to protect Gibbs from doctors before. Tony had been more in tune with Gibbs moods since he’d found him, than ever before, even telling Gibbs the absolute truth about how he was feeling. Gibbs had seen the same surprise he’d felt on Tony’s face at the time, but the younger man hadn’t appeared to be able to hedge the truth as he usually did. Yet, when Ducky and Abby had asked how he was doing, Tony had maneuvered around the inquiry like a pro. A small smile curved Gibbs mouth at that realization. Tony also became decidedly ill-tempered whenever Gibbs left with no definite time of return, which had resulted in Gibbs staying at the hospital, leaving only when Abby or Ducky were there to keep an eye on Tony, and never for long periods of time. Often times when Tony became aggressive, the only thing that could calm him was physical contact from Gibbs, a soothing hand on the arm or an easy grip at his ankle was enough to let the Italian know that he was there. The connection put them both at ease, and Gibbs didn’t really mind, because he was more that happy to supply the comfort and security that the Italian needed.

Gibbs still couldn’t actually wrap his mind around all that Ducky and Abby had told them the night before. How doctor’s had been able to alter Tony’s DNA, he didn’t know, but with the transformations in Tony’s personality and his amplified awareness, he couldn’t stop himself from consider it a possibility. He’d noticed that Tony often closed his eyes and inhaled deeply as if scenting the air, trying to classify the alterations in a person’s disposition. He’d been able to tell that Ducky was nervous and that Abby was telling the truth as she knew it, the night before.

Gibbs stood as Tony stirred. Green eyes opened meeting blue, then traveled appraisingly down over the older man’s body, bring a faint blush to Gibbs’ neck and face. Gibbs stood straighter as he felt Tony’s jade gaze move over his body before settling on his own pale blue eyes, a question in his gaze. Tony sat up straighter in the bed, then opened his mouth to say something as the door opened, causing a low growl to sound in his throat and his eyes to narrow dangerously a moment before the familiar scents of Kate and McGee drifted through the small room.

“Hey Boss, Tony.” McGee greeted.

“We got all the arrangements made to move you to the safe-house.” Kate told them. “We can get you discharged and situated at the safe-house by tonight.”

“Good work, you two.” Gibbs told them.

“Yeah, thanks guys.” Tony said as he relaxed back into the bed.
___________________________________________________________________________

Abby picked up the large legal-sized envelope that had been left on her desk. She studied it cautiously, flipping it over, looking for any telltale signs of who could have left it. The only writing on it was Tony’s full name, written in bold block letters that were impossible trace or analyze. Her cautiousness took a back seat to her curiosity as she took a deep breath and opened the envelope, pulling out the contents. A small gasp escaped her as she spread out pictures and documentation detailing what had been done to Tony. Also in the file were the doctor’s personal notes and comments and as she read them she began to feel excitement hum through her. She reached out to the phone on her desk, hitting Ducky’s extension in autopsy.