- Text Size +
Chapter 5:


Director Sheppard watched as Abby bent over her desk, studying the papers in front of her closely a moment, then reach for the phone next to her. She didn’t have to see the documents to know that what Abby was examining concerned Tony, because she knew he was the only thing that Gibbs’ team was worried about or focused on at the moment. Sheppard hesitated for a moment just out of the doors to the lab’s automatic sensors, trying to decide whether or not to attempt to convince Abby to give her any information about Tony she knew. She sighed heavily in frustration, knowing that after the last time she had seen Abby, Abby had wanted to cause her bodily harm, she realized that Abby wouldn’t tell her anything unless ordered to by Gibbs and even then there was no guarantee that it would be the truth. The elevator doors opened and she stepped into the car just as her pager went off. Unclipping it from her belt, she looked at the unfamiliar number displayed on the screen with a frown, knowing it could be only one person. Stepping off the elevator, she brushed past Cynthia and into her office, picking up her phone and dialing the number and waited for him to answer.

“Hello Director Sheppard.” A throaty feminine voice answered after the first ring. “It is good that you returned my page so promptly.”

“Who is this? How did you get my private pager number?” Sheppard demanded angrily.

“Now, now, there is no need to get testy. A mutual friend has requested my assistance in your endeavor.” The woman informed her in lightly accented English.

“Why? I told him that I would handle it. He didn’t need to bring in reinforcements.” Sheppard stated childishly.

“Perhaps, perhaps not.” The woman replied. “You have not made good on your promise yet and he has asked me to see to it that you do with no more dithering. We need Agent DiNozzo and our mutual associate is tired of waiting. Now, either you do as I instruct or I shall inform him of your refusal to cooperate, shall I?” The woman asked in an inflexible tone.

“No! No, that won’t be necessary. I will uphold my end of the arrangement and if that means that I work with you, then so be it.” Sheppard assured her resigned.

“Good. I will need to know where Agent DiNozzo is being treated and who, if any people are guarding him.”

He’s at Bethesda Hospital and Agent Gibbs has not left his side since he regained consciousness. His teammates are also in and out of there all day.”

“That is good Director. Is there any other pertinent information that I need to know before I decide on a course of action?”

“Agent Gibbs is not to be harmed.” Sheppard ordered tightly.

“Yes, well, that I cannot, nor will I, guarantee. My first objective is to get Agent DiNozzo out of there and back to the Centre. If Agent Gibbs decides to interfere with that intention then I have orders to use any force required to complete my first objective.” The woman declared emotionlessly as she disconnected the call, leaving Sheppard open-mouth with shock.
___________________________________________________________________________

Abby and Gerald studied the photos from the file, while Ducky read through the medical charts. Each photo brought a small gasp or whimper of pain from Abby, as she looked through them, following every step the doctors had taken while Tony had been held captive by them. “Oh my God!” Abby exclaimed, “Can you believe what they did to him?” She breathed on a sob, to no one in particular.

“Easy Abs, I know it looks horrible, but you have to remember that this is Tony. He’s survived so much all ready and he will keep surviving, because that is what he does.” Gerald assured her confidently. “Besides, do you think that Gibbs would let him do anything other than fight to get his life back?”

“I guess it’s just that, what they did to him… Will he ever recover do you think, I mean really recover and be the way …” she trailed off, unable and unwilling to finish the thought.

“Be the same?” Gerald finished for her. “I don’t know, but I do know that we will all be there for him to help him get through this.”

“Gerald is right Abigail.” Ducky spoke up, his grey eyes shadowed with sympathy as he continued, “Reading these, his, medical charts makes my heart ache for the dear boy, but at least we can take comfort in the fact that they were humane in their dealings. They used all proper medical procedures, he won’t have any memory of the surgeries, but he is going to have side effects. They also took good care of all the incisions they made, they made sure that his body was acclimating to all the changes they were forcing upon it before continuing to the next step. Moreover, he is back with us, his family, where he belongs and we can take care of and protect him. Where we can make sure that he knows how much we care for him, how much we value his presence in our lives.” Ducky told her determinedly.

“Yes, we will.” Abby agreed with a watery smile, ideas of how to show Tony how much they cared already forming in her agile mind.
___________________________________________________________________________

Kate left to see the doctor about getting Tony’s discharge papers, leaving the three men to pack up the hospital room. McGee picked up Gibbs duffle and Tony’s meager belongings and headed down to the car.

Gibbs helped Tony stand up, locking the brace on his leg, keeping an arm around his waist for support. They stood side by side a moment, while Gibbs waited to see if Tony would be able to stand on his own while he went and got the wheelchair. Tony’s legs shook a bit before they slowly strengthened enough to hold him up. Gibbs released his hold and eased a step a way, still ready to support the younger man if he started to fall.

Tony drew himself up, his head up and shoulders back, a small smile playing over his lips at the modest accomplishment. Emerald eyes met the cerulean ones of his boss as he said with a smirk, “I think I found my sea legs, Boss.”

“You sure, DiNozzo?” Gibbs asked concerned.

“Yeah, I think so.” Tony told him as Gibbs stepped away and toward the door. Tony started to follow when his legs suddenly buckled under him, causing him to fall forward into Gibbs’ broad back.

Feeling Tony’s hands on his shoulders, Gibbs turned around quickly to catch the Italian, his arms sliding under the younger man’s as he pulled him into his solid, expansive chest, cradling him gently, savoring the feel of the younger man in his arms. Gibbs eased Tony back to the bed, making sure he had a steady grip on the side rail before stepping back again to look the younger agent in the eye, making sure that Tony saw his determination as he ordered, “You stay put, I’ll be right back with the wheelchair, then we’ll get you to the safe house.”

“Sure Boss.” Tony murmured half heartedly.

“DiNozzo.” Gibbs growled warningly, his eyes narrowing. “Stay put.”

Tony could sense the steely resolve of the older man before him, and instantly felt the desire to obey and reassure. Tony stared back, then gave a small nod of understanding and promise as he assured Jethro, “I’ll stay here Boss, promise.”

Gibbs studied the eyes staring into his another moment, before giving a little nod, then he turned and headed out of the room, in search of a nurse with a wheelchair. A feeling of apprehension settled into the pit of his stomach as he walked through the halls, he hated leaving Tony alone and unprotected, but he didn’t want Tony to feel as if he didn’t trust him or his instincts, even as haywire as they were at the moment. He found the nurse and the wheelchair and turned to make his way back to Tony’s room when he ran into Kate and Tony’s doctor.

“Ahh, Agent Gibbs, I must talk to you about your desire to discharge Agent DiNozzo.” The doctor began, “Your agent is still in very bad shape, his psychological stability is questionable and unpredictable, I will not recommend him to be released.”

“Really?” Gibbs arched an eyebrow, his face darkening with displeasure and he took a threatening step toward the doctor. “I suggest that you sign the papers Doctor or I’ll have to have a conversation with the Hospital Administrator and file a complaint about your behavior and how you intentionally aggravated my agent.”

“Sir, there is no need for you to become hostile. You must understand that I cannot, in good conscience, do as you request , Agent DiNozzo could suffer any numerous afflictions that we have not been able to discern as of yet. You would be putting him in danger by removing him from our care, because of this I have contacted your Director, and she should be here soon.”

A low growl escaped from Gibbs as he invaded the doctor’s personal space, forcing him to take a couple of steps back, “My agent is in danger if he stays here. Either you sign the discharge papers and allow him to sign whatever forms you need to absolve the hospital of any responsibility now or I’m going to become more than hostile.”

“Agent Gibb…” the doctor trailed off as he stared into dark furious cobalt eyes. With a defeated huff he continued, “Fine, I’ll sign whatever you want, just so long as you leave.”

“Good.” came the curt reply to the doctor’s defeat. Then to Kate Gibbs said, “Get the paperwork Kate and bring it to the room.”

“Yes, Gibbs.” Kate answered as she motioned for the doctor to proceed to the nurse’s station.

Gibbs made his way back to Tony’s room to find Tony being helped to the wheelchair, the nurse standing behind him. Tony looked up and his eyes narrowed taking in his boss’ tense expression and could feel the aggravation rolling off him. The nurse stepped toward Gibbs, her small hand extended, a smile on her lips as she greeted the older man.

“Hello, Agent Gibbs. We were just getting Agent DiNozzo here set to be discharged.”

Gibbs took the hand in his as he took a good looked at the nurse, she was pretty with exotic raven hair and dark soulful eyes, her smile was open and flirtatious. She was exactly the type that Tony would flirt with, so he was surprise to see Tony’s eyes go cold and hard at the exchange between him and the nurse. Puzzled he raised a brow in question as Tony shoved himself up off the bed to quickly and lost his balance, falling forward. Both Gibbs and the nurse moved to break his fall, Gibbs securing the younger man in his arms, pulling him upright on his feet. The nurse reached to help, but Tony flinched away with a low rumble from his throat. “Get out.” He ordered.

The nurse raised alarmed eyes to Gibbs at the rough voice, a question on her face. Gibbs nodded a silent answer to her inquiry and the nurse quietly left closing the door behind her. Gibbs looked down at the man in his arms, puzzled at the reaction. “Tony?” He asked cautiously, as he tried to raise the younger man’s face up to meet his.

Tony burrowed into the solid chest of his boss as he tried to understand his reaction to the nurse. She hadn’t bothered him until Gibbs had walked in and gave her a small smile. Still, it hadn’t been until she shook his hand that Tony had gotten angry. Possessiveness had swept over him that he couldn’t control; he simply knew that he had to get her to stop touching Gibbs. Tony felt the other man’s confusion at his behavior, and felt gentle fingers under his chin, applying moderate pressure to bring his face level with the older man’s, trying to understand. Tony kept his face down, pressed into Gibbs neck as he breathed in the comforting scents of sawdust, coffee, and a musky aroma that was all Gibbs’. He half expected a head slap for his behavior and the refusal to look up at the man, but instead Gibbs simply secured his arms tighter around the younger man, offering silent comfort, his head tilting the side to give Tony greater access to his neck. Tony inhaled deeply, a soft purr of pleasure vibrated Tony’s throat as he pressed a small testing kiss against Jethro’s neck, where his pulse beat steadily.

Gibbs stroked a comforting hand down Tony’s back, not surprised at how good and right it felt to hold the younger man in his arms. He could feel Tony’s warm breath on his neck and he shifted, trying to put a little space between them, when he heard Tony purr lightly at their contact. Tony’s arms tightened around his neck and he felt soft, warm lips press against his neck, sending sparks of pleasure along his spine, pooling in his stomach, and causing a tightening his groin, before Tony pulled back.

Tony’s eyes were closed and as he pulled away from Gibbs embrace, he tried to identify the new scent that suddenly wafted around them. It was musky and rich with a hint of spice and had shock waves of arousal shooting through his body. He leaned toward Gibbs again, intending to sniff the air again when he felt tender moist lips capture his in a hesitant kiss. Shocked awareness flooded his body as he felt Gibbs’ tongue glided over the seam of his lips seeking entrance to his mouth. With a low groan, Tony opened his mouth and met Gibbs’ tongue with his own as the kiss moved from hesitant to seeking to a dual for dominance. He felt Gibbs’ hand twist into his shirt at his back, trying to gather the material up and out of the way, even as he managed to fasten Tony firmly within his embrace.

The sound of heels clicking in quick snaps against the tile floor of the hospital corridor, had Tony pulling back quickly, stiffling a low frustrated growl, as he tilted his head to try and distinguish where the rapid footsteps were headed. Gibbs followed trying to pull him back into another kiss, but stilled when he felt the younger man tense in his arms, pulling back himself a question in his dark sapphire eyes. He released his hold on the younger man and moved to put more distance between them, bracing for any threat. His movement brought Tony’s attention back to him, the Italian studied him for a moment a promise gleaming in his jade eyes. With a grin Tony leaned in quickly, nipping at Gibbs full bottom lip, then soothing the small hurt with a quick teasing kiss, before stepping back just as the door opened and Director Sheppard let herself in.