- Text Size +
A Breed Apart:

Chapter 7:

The sun was barely coloring the sky as Tony sat on the porch of the cabin, coffee cup in hand as he stared into the surrounding woods, contemplating everything that had happened in the last few weeks. His skin tingled, goose bumps popping up along his arms, and the knot in the pit of his stomach loosened as warmth flowed through him. A small smile played at his mouth as a familiar scent wafted over him, coffee and sawdust. “Hey Boss, sleep well?”

“Yeah, all right. How about you? How are you feeling this morning?”

“A bit nervous about what Abs and Ducky has discovered, but other than that, I feel good. Ducky says that the cast on my wrist can come off in a few days and that I could unlock the leg brace for a bit today, work on walking without it.” He told Gibbs honestly.

“Yeah, he told me” Gibbs said as he sat down next to the younger man. “So why don’t you tell me why you’re out here instead of in there with the rest of the team?”

“Don’t know really. Got a feeling something’s about to happen.”

“Tony, you’ve been through a lot, it’s natural to feel off balance for a while.” Gibbs assured him.

“Yeah, I guess.” Tony murmured, flinching as he felt strong fingers entangle with his, giving a reassuring squeeze. He raised shadowed green eyes to clear blue ones and smiled as he read the support and affection within their depths. Jethro brought their joined hands to his lips, brushing a tender kiss over Tony’s knuckles.

“You are not alone, Tony. We will all help you through this.” Gibbs told him softly. “I’ll be right there beside you every step of the way.” He promised the Italian.

“Why?” Tony asked, trying to pull his hand back. “I mean, there’s no telling what those bastards did to me, no telling the side effects that will probably be showing up for years to come. Why would you want to deal with that? I don’t want to deal with it.” Tony stated, looking away, not wanting to see Gibbs agree with his assessment, not wanting to feel his rejection.

The grip on his hand tightened and he felt gentle, warm fingers on his chin, turning his head to face Gibbs. Cobalt eyes stared into bright green ones as the older man spoke quietly, firmly. “Now that I have you I am not letting you go.” Jethro assured him then, pressed tender lips to Tony’s, moving his hand to cup the younger man’s cheek, lovingly.

With a whimper Tony melted into Jethro’s kiss, their tongues meeting and dueling lightly, giving Tony just a hint of the stimulating taste of Jethro’s mouth, before they pulled apart. Tony followed the movement of Jethro’s mouth, his lips clinging to the older man’s. Gibbs placed another soft kiss to the younger man’s mouth, smiling as the freedom to do so flood through him. He placed his forehead to Tony’s letting their breaths mingle as he spoke. “I’m not going anywhere.”

“I’m scared Boss.” Tony whispered, bringing the reason he was out pondering the early morning sunrise, to light.

“I know Tony, but you’re not alone. You have the team and me.” Gibbs told him, and then hesitated as he spoke so softly Tony had to concentrate or he’d have missed it. “Unless, you don’t want me. “

Shock slammed into Tony at the rare glimpse into his boss’ own insecurities. “God, I’ve wanted this for so long, Boss.” Tony began. “I’ve wanted you since the first day you tried to take over my case in Baltimore!” Tony exclaimed as his mouth roughly claimed Jethro’s, his tongue pushing insistently passed teeth and lips to stroke and map out the older man’s mouth. A strong arm wrapped around Gibbs shoulders, pulling the older man to him as Tony’s uninjured hand burrowed into soft silver hair, holding Jethro’s head at a better angle. He swallowed Jethro’s moan of pleasure before he pulled back with a mellifluous growl “Mine.” As he nuzzled the other man’s neck. He nipped at the pulse beating at the base of his neck, using teeth and lips as he marked the older man.

Movement inside the cabin brought the two men’s focus from each other to those in the cabin. A broad grin broke out across the younger man’s face, getting wider at the answering smirk playing at the edges of his lover’s mouth. “Should probably go in and get you some food.” Gibbs said.

As if on cue, Tony’s stomach rumbled loudly and Abby popped her head out of the window, “Hey Tony, Bossman, breakfast is ready.” She told them. As they entered the cottage, she smiled knowingly at them, and then laughed at Gibbs glare and Tony’s exasperated huff. “What? So I was peeking, sue me!”

“You’re okay with this, us, Abs?” Tony asked hesitantly.

“Of course. If I had my way it would have happened a lot sooner!”

“What?” Gibbs exclaimed.

“Oh, please Bossman, I may not be an investigator, but I do have eyes in my head!” She told them, and then becoming serious, “So does everyone else.” She told them solemnly. Then seeing their expressions hurried to assure “Their okay with it and are all in agreement that it’s about damn time. Now let’s go eat and then after breakfast we’ll go over Tony’s file.” And with that she bounced back to the kitchen, leaving the two agents gaping after her.

“You okay with this Boss?” Tony asked softly.

“Yeah, I am Tony. They’re our family and deserve to know.” Gibbs said turning to look Tony in the eye, raising gentle hands to his neck, bringing them close together, and letting their breaths mingle in a surprisingly caring gesture. “And it’s Jethro.” Jethro told him, his lips brushing teasingly against Tony’s.

“Jethro.” Tony sighed, releasing a breath he wasn’t aware he was holding. “Let’s go face the family.”
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“How is everything this morning?” Rhea asked as she walked through the trees.

“Quiet. Subject was out on the porch earlier, but now it’s quiet.” DeMarcus reported.

“No sign of anyone moving about outside of Gibbs’ people?”

“No.” The black man confirmed. “How are we going to approach them Commander?” DeMarcus asked.

“We’re going to knock on the door and see if they’ll let us talk. Somehow, I think they will, especially when they find out we can supply answers that will help Agent DiNozzo.” Rhea answered. “You and I will go in, leave the rest of your team outside maintaining the perimeter, we don’t want Agent DiNozzo to feel confined. We don’t know how he’ll react to another breed, let alone to several.”

“He’ll be in protective mode, his family is with him.”

“Yes.” Rhea confirmed. “Give orders to your team Sergeant.”

“Yes, Commander. Stryker!”

“Yes Sir.” A soldier came to attention.

“Set up and maintain a perimeter, no one gets in or out.”
“Yes Sir.” The soldier answered then went to as ordered.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tony entered the kitchen first, his body tensing as he heard the commotion and laughter. His senses focused and ready to pick up the smallest nuance of the people inside, ready to protect himself and Gibbs if necessary, despite what Abby had told them. Strong fingers grasped his cold clammy hand, fingers tangling together, squeezing in silent comfort. The touch of the man beside him, his man, helped to calm him, centering him as they entered the kitchen.

“Morning Tony, Boss.” McGee greeted handing each a plate heaping with food.

“Eat, then we’ll go over the files and charts that Abby found waiting for her in her lab yesterday.” Ducky told them as they all settled at the table or against counters. As everyone ate, conversation flowed comfortably back and forth, with Kate and Tony bantering and McGee even getting in a few good licks, causing everyone to laugh. The normal routine of being with people he trusted, cared for, and would fight to the death for; and visa versa, had Tony relaxing.

After everyone had eaten Abby pulled out a thick folder filled with medical charts and pictures, as well as the scientists’ notes. Picking up one of the medical charts, Ducky began to speak. “Anthony, according to these charts your captors used several large breeds of felines. The scientists were able to isolate the genes for their individual strong points; the king cheetah’s speed and sight, a tiger’ adaptability and agility to swim, lion’s strength and protectiveness, and a cougar‘s stealth and agility. There seem to be few adverse side effects, one being pain similar to growth pains as your body adjusts. There are also, some non-lethal side effects that are rather interesting. For example, you may be able to purr, your eye sight should measure off the charts. However, the file is incomplete and so I’m afraid that until we find the principal scientist behind these procedures and theories, we won’t know if there will be any other side effects or new abilities coming about.”

“Yeah, we know that your basic five senses while already above average are now hyper acute and sensitive. You also have an almost empathic capability, which has been proven to be common to most animals.” Abby put in excitedly.

Tony listened to them while Gibbs and McGee studied the photos. They had taken pictures of every stage of every operation that had been performed on Tony. “Christ.” Gibbs growled softly, as he flipped through several pictures documenting the incurring of the large jagged incision that ran vertically from Tony’s breastbone down to his bellybutton. Of all the incisions, this one was the worst and hardest to look at. His face had gone pale as he glared at the pictures. Sensing his partner’s discomfort, Tony snaked his uninjured arm around the older man’s waist, pulling the older agent into him briefly as he whispered softly.

“It’s okay. I’m right here.”

“They could have killed you, Tony. Christ, look at what they did!” Gibbs pointed out angrily.

“I know what they did,” Tony put in dryly, “but I’m here and I’m alive, that’s all I really want to think about right now.”

“They used the different species and subspecies to see if the effects would be more pronounced than with one. They wouldn‘t have killed him Boss.” McGee observed quietly. “At least not intentionally. They tried very hard to make sure his body accepted the alternate DNA, before moving on to the next stage.”

“That makes me feel so much better McGee.” Gibbs told him sarcastically.

“Jethro.” Tony murmured, squeezing his shoulders.

“It’s almost as if they were trying to create the perfect animal.” Kate stated as she looked through the scientists’ notes, oblivious to Tony stiffening and narrowing blazing green eyes at her. He opened his mouth the hurl a retort, but Gibbs’ hand on his leg, squeezing soothingly, kept him quiet and in his seat.

“Easy Tony, no one is calling you an animal.” Jethro told him.

“What?” Kate exclaimed, then turned horrified brown eyes to Tony as she stammered, “God no Tony, that’s not what I was saying. It’s what those damn scientists were thinking, its here in their notes about you and the other hosts.” She raised the file to show him and after a moment he nodded.

“Sorry, it’s just … to think, to know what was going on in their heads while they …” he trailed off as he felt a strong hand grasp his knee and Kate wrapped gentle arms around his shoulders in a reassuring hug.

“I understand Tony, I may not know exactly what you are going through, but I do know what the rest of us are feeling because of it and well …” she paused placing a very sisterly kiss to his forehead before whispering “We are all here for you. And if you make one crack about me kissing you I’ll whack you upside the head!” Chocolate eyes held his in silent communication, an acknowledgement passed between them and Tony gave a small nod, before smirking.

“I knew you always wanted to kiss me Kate!” Then he ducked as she struck out at his head. Then seriously, “Thanks.”

She nodded, a smile lighting her face, “Sure, besides if the SOBs knew anything, they’d know you were already a pig!” She told him, drawing a laugh from everyone.

Suddenly, Tony looked up, his body tense and his head shifting from side to side as his nostrils flared, green eyes narrowed to slits, and a fierce rumbling echoed throughout his chest as he vaulted to his feet. A hiss of pain escaped involuntarily as the sudden movement sent injured leg to throbbing. Gibbs stood up, hands at Tony’s waist, mouth opened to ask what was wrong, but he never got a chance. Tony shoved him roughly back down to the couch, snarling shortly, “Stay put.”

“Damn it DiNozzo!” Gibbs barked, but he stayed seated as Tony prowled to the bay windows peering out into the woods.

“Tony?” Abby asked quietly. “What is it?”

“I don’t know. There’s something, someone, out there Abs.”

“What do you mean Anthony?’

“We’re surrounded Duck.” Tony stated certainly as the hair on the back of his neck stood on end. A low menacing growl erupted as he spun around facing the front door as a sharp knock sounded. Tony tensed, placing himself between the door and his team, his family.

“DiNozzo? Tell us something.” Gibbs demanded, coming up behind him. Tony spun to glare at him, emerald eyes ran over him with a possessive touch.

The front door opened and two people stepped through. “He’s reacting to us.” A new voice spoke from the doorway.

Blue eyes took in the two people standing in the doorway. The woman was short with pale hair and silver-green eyes. Her companion, was tall, easily exceeding Tony’s height, with broad shoulders. He had wide-set vivid indigo eyes that seemed to glow in his dark face. He stepped forward intending to demand answers, when Tony reached out and forcibly shoved Gibbs behind him as he squared off with the two intruders.

“Who the hell are you?” He snarled, keeping an iron-clad grip on Gibbs’ wrist. “What are you doing here?”

“DiNozzo!” Gibbs barked trying to pry off the younger man’s bruising grip. His actions induced another menacing snarl as Tony turned fierce, possessive eyes on him.

“They’re dangerous. I can feel it, smell it all over them.” Tony explained harshly. “You need to stay back, Boss.” He kept his eyes trained on the intruders, his body tense as he forced Gibbs back. “Mine.” he growled threateningly at them, as if daring them to challenge his claim.

“Yours.” The woman murmured soothingly in agreement. Then she flicked her pale eyes to Gibbs and others, who were staring in shock at their friend’s actions. “He won’t let us come in unless you all stay were you are. Do not try to pass by him until he’s sure we’re not a threat.” She told them, keeping her voice low and non threatening.

“What?” Gibbs asked confused, both by Tony’s actions and the woman’s cryptic instructions. “What are you talking about?”

“Move back a bit and he’ll start to calm down.” she instructed.

Gibbs studied the woman a moment then did as instructed, figuring he was still close enough to help Tony if needed. Almost instantly Tony began to calm down, his rigid body relaxing, his fists unclenching. His green eyes weren’t as hard or cold as they watched Gibbs takes a couple of steps back, clearly putting distance between him and the intruders. He stopped when Tony sent him a quick grateful nod.

“Easy Agent DiNozzo, we’re not here to challenge you, we’re here to help. We have answers to your questions.” The woman assured. “Your mate and family are safe. You just need to stay calm.”