- Text Size +
A Breed Apart:


Chapter 9:


As Tony stepped into the kitchen he found his arms full of Abby as she hugged him tightly, slowly squeezing off his oxygen. “Are you okay? It’s really going to be okay. Rhea and Ducky have been talking about what was done to you and she knows a doctor that knows all about this stuff. She said he wants to meet with you.”

“Air. Abs, I need air.” Tony gasped lightly, squeezing her just as tightly, savoring her clean scent and the pure love he felt pouring from her.

“Oh, sorry.” She smiled. Then solemnly asked “Are you doing all right now? Cause while watching you go all lethal weapon was kinda hot, it scared me too. I was worried.” Dark eyes studied him carefully.

“Yeah, me too.” He told her as he searched her dark eyes for any remnants of fear of him she might have. That’s what really scared him, not just the lack of control, but also causing fear in those he loved.

“She’s scared for you, not of you.” Jethro whispered behind him, knowing that Tony would hear him, but Abby wouldn’t. He gave a half smile as he watched Tony relax in front of him. “Let’s go hear the rest of what they half to say about all this, and then we’ll decide what to do.” Gibbs commanded.

________________________________________________________________________

“…really, he’ll be able to heal that quickly?” Ducky was asking.

“Yes, his healing rate will increase; his normal reflexes and senses will become acute and hyper sensitive, which you have already seen. He’ll also develop excellent night vision, and an awareness of his surroundings that will be unmatchable, except by another breed.” Rhea informed them.

“Will his physical health needs differ overly much?”

“No, in fact, he’ll be less likely to get sick. Most serious illnesses will become minor for him now.” Rhea stated. “My boss, Atlas Vincent, will be able to tell you more.”

“When will I stop attacking people?” Tony asked from the doorway.

Rhea looked at him, aware of the tension coming from the older man, and the anxiousness from the younger one. She considered each one carefully before answering. “Well, Tony, you and Gibbs are what is known as life mates. And once you have fully bonded, then you will be able to control the possessiveness, and the protectiveness that causes you to react the way you do.”

“Life mates? Bonded? What does that mean?” Tony asked cautiously, noticing how still Gibbs had gotten.

“Atlas would be better able to answer your questions, and he is very interested in meeting you.” Rhea hedged, not getting a good feeling about telling the two men that their lives were changed in yet another way. “Atlas would like me to extend an invitation to you and your team to come to his residence. He would also like to run a few tests on you, Tony, so that he can help determine the full extent of your alterations.”

“So, what? You want me to parade around like a side show? No thanks.” Tony snorted.

“Easy, cub. Atlas is the only one who can help you get the answers that you need aside from the bastards that used you for a science project.” DeMarcus told him.

“How does he know what was done to Tony?” Gibbs asked.

“He was once a geneticist and developing a procedure to correct certain deformities and conditions that were passed on from parents to child. His technique was stolen and then adapted and used by a Dr. Crayton, to alter a persons DNA. Atlas is the only other person who understands the process enough to be of any help. After a few tests, he should be able to answer any and all your questions.” Rhea said.

“Can he reverse what was done?” Tony asked quietly, trying to process all the information they were being given.

“No Tony, I’m afraid that there is no way to reverse what was done. He can however help you to adjust and control what was done.” Rhea stated as gently as she could, regrets thickening her voice.

“Tell your boss that I’ll meet with him, and then I’ll decide if I’ll let him run any tests.” He told her as he pondered the information he’d been given so far.

Rhea nodded just as her phone at her hip rang. She plucked it from her belt, checking the caller ID, and then said apologetically. “Excuse me, I have to take this.” And she stepped outside.

________________________________________________________________________

Dominic DiNozzo read through the reports of Dr. Crayton’s projected results of his mass-production of soldiers like Anthony. He smirked cruelly as he thought of what had been done to his good-for-nothing, disrespecting, incompetent son. It was his opinion that Anthony had gotten what he had deserved, choosing the lives of strangers over that of his own father and his rightful place as the right hand of DiNozzo Industries. He thought it an ingenious idea using Dr. Crayton and Jen Sheppard in his plot to show his son that no one says no to him. Once all the tests were done, Tony would not only be absolute in his obedience, but he would also be the perfect soldier. A soldier that was ruthless in his ability to take out a target, followed orders unconditionally, required less rest and supplies as well as external support. A malicious smirk graced Dominic DiNozzo’s pale face as he thought about how Anthony would, inadvertently, be responsible for making Dominic millions upon millions of dollars.

A short abrupt knock interrupted his thoughts and he sighed. “Yes?”

“We have a problem Sir.” Ziva David told him as she closed the door behind her. “The Subject has made contact with Atlas Vincent’s people. His troops are the one’s guarding the cabin.”

Cruel grey eyes hardened viciously, his mouth thinned into a rigid line as his jaw clenched, upon hearing this. His voice was harsh as he asked, “What the hell? How did they get to him so quickly?”

“I do not know. The only thing that makes sense is that they have had him under surrvelience since he was rescued from the lab.”

“We need to get him back to the Cetnre NOW! I don’t care who you have to take out or what you have to do, just get him back.” Dominic DiNozzo demanded ferociously.
________________________________________________________________________

Rhea came back in and studied Tony a moment. He was as relaxed as she’d seen him thus far. He was surrounded by his team, drawing comfort from their closeness. She watched as he leaned into Gibbs, unconsciously closing the distance between them. She smiled softly as Gibbs shifted to accommodate Tony’s weight against him, as if they had been doing it for years. The older man was as protective and possessive of Tony as Tony was of him and she wasn’t looking forward to telling them what she now knew. She didn’t want to see how they would take finding out that their Director knowingly put Tony in such a position, that without her, none of this would have happened. Nor did she want to witness the acceptance; she knew would be Tony’s reaction when he found out that his father was the money behind the research to what was done to him, them, and others like them.

Gibbs considered Rhea as she returned to the living room as he settled back into the couch with Tony against his side. He noticed the small smile that faded as her expression turned thoughtful. It was that contemplative look that had him tightening his arm around Tony and his gut screaming. He saw that Abby had also noticed Rhea’s return and had scooted closer; cuddling up to Tony’s other side.

Sensing the sudden tension in the room, Tony looked up from his conversation with Kate, meeting pale eyes across the room as he leaned into Gibbs, pulling Abby with him. “What is it?” He asked Rhea quietly.

“What do you know about your father’s business? His contacts?”

“Not much. Once he finally understood that I wasn’t interested in dominating in a boardroom and he disowned me, he was pretty much done with me. Why?”

“We have information connecting him to what was done to you and others like us.”

“Oh God,” breathed Kate, horrified.

Abby squeezed Tony’s hand as she felt him tense. “It’s okay Tony.”

“Doesn’t surprise me.” Tony muttered. “He called me months ago, supposedly to see how I was. He heard that I’d been shot and he was concerned, he said he wanted to reconnect and mend broken bridges.”

“What?!” Abby exclaimed jerking away to look at him in shock. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“No big deal Abs. Just his same old tune; besides, right after that the Director sent me undercover.” Tony defended himself.

“Still should’ve told me.” She pouted.

This was the opening she’d been waiting for, Rhea thought sorrowfully. “What was the case that your director sent you on?” She asked quietly.


“It was a joint op with the FBI. Several people had been disappearing from the Knight’s Circle. There was no pattern between any of the victims, nothing connecting any of them together, aside from the fact that they were all between twenty-one and thirty-eight, in excellent health, and they disappeared from the same club.”

“How many victims?” Kate asked quietly.

“Six, when the FBI came to us and Director Sheppard brought me in.” Tony answered.

“Who was the FBI’s lead agent?” DeMarcus inquired, his indigo eyes sharp.

“An Agent Leo Nylynns, figured he was new or a recent transfer. I had never seen him before.”

“Would you recognize him, if you saw him again?” The black man asked.

“Well yeah, I am a Federal Agent.” Tony replied sarcastically.

“Tony?” Abby began hesitantly. “Why did you agree to go undercover, especially after the last time?”

“That’s something I’ve been wondering myself.” Gibbs put in glaring darkly at his lover, as he stood up abruptly and began to pace.

“Wasn’t like I had much choice Boss. It was either do the op or be transferred to Timbuktu.” Tony muttered, looking down.

Gibbs stared at him, his eyes dark with an anger he was trying to contain. Feeling the rage toward Jen building. Gibbs shook his head and stalked back to the kitchen, muttering, “I need coffee.”

“Jet …” Tony began as he watched him storm off knowing the older man was fuming, but not really sure whether he was simply angry at Jen or at Jen and himself. His eyes dimmed as he stared after the older man, deciding to give him a few moments to himself to come to terms with his emotions. `Besides,’ he thought to himself, `it wasn’t as if Sheppard had given him a lot of time to consider his options or get back-up, before she’d sent him under.’

Ducky waited a moment before following his friend to the kitchen. He stood just inside the room, taking in the abrupt movements before him. “It’s not his fault Jethro.” He stated on a sigh.

“He should’ve come to me Duck. I could’ve done something. Jen had no right to threaten and manipulate him.” Jethro stated betrayal thick in his voice, as he set a coffee mug on the counter with a thud.

Ducky started to answer when Tony appeared in the doorway next to him. He looked at Tony and shook his head, trying to convey to the younger man know it wasn’t his fault. Tony smiled slightly in gratitude but said, “You’re right Boss, I should’ve told you and I’d planned on it, but Sheppard didn’t give me any time to. She explained the op and then we were underway. I think she wanted me gone, Jet.” He told the older man as he leaned against the counter, his arms crossed over his chest as he waited for Jethro to turn around.

“I know it’s not your fault Tony, I just wish I could’ve …” he trailed off as he turned to look at his young lover.

“What? Kick somebody’s ass? Yeah, me too. But shit happens.” He told the older man with a smirk, his humor taking over.

“I know. But why does it always have to happen to you?” Jethro asked with a gruff laugh.

“Because he’s Tony, Bossman.” Abby quipped coming into the kitchen.

“There you go.” Tony said flicking his hand toward her, as if that explained everything.
Gibbs gave a snort and downed his coffee in two quick gulps. He met Tony’s gaze over the rim of the mug in silent apology.

Rhea came in and looked between the two men, seeing the unspoken conversation. She looked to Kate and McGee as she asked faintly “Do they always communicate like this or is this a recent development?”

“They always do this.” Kate declared irritably.

“Atlas would like to meet with the two you and your team this evening.” She told the
Room, interrupting the wordless dialogue.

“Why me and the team?” Gibbs asked.

“You and Tony are life mates, and the team his family; what affects him affects you all.” Rhea stated simply.

________________________________________________________________________

Rhea led the team into the huge mansion, taking them into a living room with comfortable furniture and a nice lived in feel to it. “Make yourselves at home. Tony, Gibbs if you would follow me, Atlas would like to meet with the two of you, before he meets the rest of the team.” And with that Rhea continued down the hall toward a large office.

Walking down the hall slightly behind Gibbs and Rhea, Tony’s senses went on high alert. Green eyes swiveled left and right rapidly taking in the photos along the walls. They were of the same people, during various stages of life. He saw what looked like prom photos, a wedding portrait, others were snapshots of places the couple had been. One toward the end of the hall caught his eye, in it there were two people, a man and a woman, laughing, looking at each other; the woman’s arm was outstretched. Clearly she was the one holding the camera, the man laughing. His eyes, bright green, his smile wide. The woman, had long flowing honey brown hair, her eyes were wide set and filled with life and joy. The breath stuttered out of his chest as his own green eyes widened in disbelief.

Atlas stepped into the hall as he heard Rhea bringing the two agents to him. He forced a welcoming smile to his face, despite the fury he felt flowing through him at what was done to the young man before him. He quirked an eyebrow as he saw the young breed stop at the last photo on the wall, shock was apparent on his face. “That was my wife, Bella.” Atlas told him, a smile in his voice. He could sense the confusion in the two men, the trepidation as the younger agent stared at the photo. Atlas barely stifled a gasp, as sadness swept through him, as emerald eyes that were so like his own, turned to look at him. “She was killed shortly after that picture was taken, we were twenty-eight.”

“I’m sorry, she was beautiful.” Tony murmured gently, feeling the other man’s sadness as if it was his own. It was confusing, sensing the emotions of others, then trying to decipher their emotions from his own. When he’d glimpsed the photos of the young woman, he’d felt a jolt of recognition, then looking at the older man, he’d felt it again.

“Yes, she was, but it was her sense of humor and joy of life that drew everyone to her. She lived life to it’s fullest before she was killed.” Atlas told him, and then cleared his throat. “I’m Atlas, by the way, and you are Tony DiNozzo, and this must be Jethro.” He said turning to the older agent and holding out his hand. “It is a pleasure to finally meet you; I just wish it could be under different circumstances.”

“Yeah, well …”

“Rhea said you could answer our questions.” Gibbs said, speaking for the first time, not missing the awareness that seemed to pass between the doctor and Tony. Jealously poured into him, making him step closer, possessively toward Tony, his eyes narrowing in warning at the other man, staking his claim to his younger lover.

“Yes, Agent Gibbs, I can answer your questions and help Tony discover and control his new abilities as well as any downfalls they might have.” Atlas smirked as he tilted his head slightly, acknowledging and accepting the older agent’s claim to the Italian. “We can go to my office if you’d like.” He motioned them to precede him into the room.

The two men stepped into the office, cautiously looking around. There in a corner sat a petite, dark haired woman. She sat without moving, an air of control wrapped around her. Tony sniffed warily at the air as he moved closer to Gibbs, keeping his eyes on the woman.

Atlas watched as the agents processed their surroundings, moving together in perfect accord, surveying and sweeping through all variables of circumstance. Slowly Gibbs relaxed and laid a gentle hand on the Italians arm, squeezing comfortingly, causing the younger man to calm.

“Gentlemen, I’d like you to meet Officer Ziva David. She has been helping Rhea and DeMarcus keep an eye on you and those that did this to you.” Atlas told them.

Ziva stood at the mention of her name and strode over to face the younger agent, her expression thoughtful. Dark eyes moved over him considering, before she spoke in accented English. “I do not see what is so special about you that causes such fuss. You appear to be a man like any other.” she stated with a smirk. Then without warning her leg came up as she attempted to slam her knee into his kidneys.

Tony’s hand came out, blocking her knee with a crack, causing David to grimace tightly in pain. Tony’s eyes narrowed, turning icy as he took in her pained features, as he wrapped long fingers around her thin throat, lifting her slightly off the ground, emitting a low growl. “Do not do that.”

“Tony.” Gibbs murmured in warning, as he looked from his lover to the woman. He couldn’t blame Tony for his actions, yet he had a feeling she’d been testing him.

Tony’s fingers loosened minutely and he let her feet flatten on the ground, while keeping her within his grasp.

Ziva took in a breath though his hand was still wrapped around her throat. Her knee throbbing in pain, she smirked at him as she spoke, “Now I understand why he wants you back. Reflexes such as these are rare and near impossible to achieve.” Keeping her eyes locked on his she continued softly. “I am sorry, but as all I keep hearing is how much money you have caused him or will make him. He sounded so confident that I had to see for myself. It is uncanny, without being told what you are now, I would never have known. Yes, now I can see how he would think you the perfect weapon.”

“Tony, please release her. I assure you that she means no harm and is in fact here to help.” Atlas advised him.