- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Jenny and Gibbs have a showdown.
Chapter eleven

Finishing his glass of juice, Tony watched as the other members of the team chatted about an upcoming trial Abby had to testify in. He cleared his throat, getting the others’ attention.

“Don’t get me wrong, I’m very grateful for the support and all, but are you really okay with this? Gibbs and me, I mean?”

They all looked at each other, not quite knowing how to address this.

“I can’t say I wasn’t shocked,” McGee began, “you with all your women and Gibbs with his four marriages. And apart from Voss,” he teased, “there’s never been even a hint that you liked men.”

He looked out the window, seemingly lost in thought. “Still, there was always something in the way you and Gibbs acted around each other that had me wondering. At first I thought it was like a father/son thing, but that didn’t quite add up, either. Not that there was that much to go on, I just kept looking, that’s all.”

He turned to look at Tony again, “I guess you’re both bi, then?”

“Yeah, not that the label matters, really,” Tony smiled. “I’m still a red-blooded male,” he said wryly.

McGee smiled, “Yeah, I figured as much.” He pored himself another glass of juice, before topping up Ducky’s glass. The doctor took a sip before reaching out to pat Tony’s arm.

“When you’ve known each other as long as Gibbs and I have, there are very few secrets left,” Ducky said. “I knew Jethro had fallen for men in the past, so I knew what to look for when you came on board. When something like this happens, Anthony, all that matters is that Gibbs is alive and that you make each other happy.”

Tony felt himself blush lightly at the heartfelt words. “Thanks, Ducky, it means a lot to me that you’re all okay with this.”

******
Ziva watched as the rest of her team arrived one after the other and disappeared into Gibbs’ house. She felt a pang of jealousy at the obvious joy they were greeted with by Tony. It didn’t look like they were invited, Tony had looked far too surprised to see McGee, but they had all converged upon the house, feeling the need to be close. As had she. But she wasn’t sure what her welcome would be. She still found it a bit hard to bond with people. Her years as a spy had taught her to keep her distance, not letting anybody too close.

Another familiar car pulled up. The Director. She watched as Jenny strode purposefully up to the front door, her body language radiating what Ziva could only label as anger. She wondered why Jenny was so displeased. Granted, the two-week sick leave Ducky had given Tony was excessive, but still. This level of emotion signaled to the Israeli that maybe Jenny wasn’t quite over the affair with Gibbs. It had to be personal for the Director to react in this way.

Turning the key in the ignition, she pulled away from the curb and headed back to the office. She would visit Gibbs later that day or tomorrow, depending on what McGee said about his condition. They were supposed to revisit a cold case that afternoon; she would get a chance to talk to him then.

******

Tony watched as Jenny made her way upstairs. She had stopped by briefly in the dining room, acknowledging the people there, but had not engaged in any conversation. Just enquired after Gibbs’ condition, not looking too pleased when Tony told her he was sleeping.

The look she gave him was puzzled, clearly she was not aware of the fact that Tony was staying there for the moment.

“I need to speak with Gibbs,” she demanded. Ducky was torn between the need to get her out of the house, and the need Jethro had for rest. Deciding rest could come later, he nodded to Tony, who showed her upstairs.

“Leave us,” she declared, looking at the younger agent as she entered the room. Tony shot a glance at Jethro who replied, “This won’t take long, Tony.”

“Fine,” he said, ignoring the sense of insecurity that washed over him. No matter what the Director did, she could not destroy the best thing that had happened to him in a very long time. He left the door open, wanting a chance to follow the conversation about to take place.

“How are you, Jethro?”

“I will be fine, given a few more days. My leg hurts like hell and my head is killing me. No coffee for a few days..” he explained wryly.

She smiled. Clearly the thought of Gibbs having to cope without coffee was as impossible to imagine for her as it was for the rest of the team.

“I do not know whether this is a good time to address this, but I can’t leave it any longer,” she began.

Gibbs cocked an eyebrow, but did not reply.

Jenny went over to the bed and sat down in a chair. She looked hesitant, and Gibbs wondered whether she had connected all the dots yet.

“What do you want, Jenny?” he asked impatiently, needing to move this along.

She took a deep breath. “I am very aware what a devastating loss the deaths of Kelly and Shannon were. Having to relive the ordeal after losing your memory must have been just heart wrenching, and I am truly sorry you had to endure that. I know how much you loved them, and how long it took for you to…”

Gibbs felt himself go cold. It was nearly unbearable to have Jenny talk about Shannon and Kelly. He tuned her out, just watched those perfect red lips move as the blood roaring in his ears drowned the words out.

“Nevertheless, I can’t allow my personal feelings in this matter cloud my judgment. I am very concerned about the relationship that has developed between you and Agent DiNozzo..”

Suddenly alert, Gibbs wondered just how much Jenny knew. It couldn’t be much, he reckoned. They had barely had time to initiate a relationship, but his team had still picked up on it. Granted, they had seen much more of him and Tony together than Jenny, but he was still weary of just what she thought she knew. He just hoped there wasn’t anything else than she’d already told Ducky.

“I understand the need to have someone in your life to, to be a mentor, or maybe even a father figure to. But, Jethro, this person cannot be DiNozzo.” She looked him squarely in the eyes. “If I’m not satisfied you’re both capable of performing your duties within the team, I will transfer him.”

Taking a deep breath he turned to look at her. His gaze was icy cold, filled with a rage that had Jenny momentarily stunned.

“You will NOT speak of Shannon and Kelly again. Ever. You will not speak of my grief or how I’m coping. You have no right.” He took another deep breath, calming himself before continuing.

“My relationship with my team members is not governed by a need to replace neither my wife nor my daughter. Tony is my second in command; he’s a valued member of the team and an asset to NCIS. I am his boss, not his father. We lay our lives on the line every day, Director. Of course we are close, of course we look out for each other. That’s how we survive, that’s how we solve our cases. I run my team as I see fit, Jenny. We do a hell of a job, as you well know.”

He sank back into the pillows supporting his back, clearly drained.

“Get the hell out of my house, Jenny. Do not come back unless you’re invited. You got that?”

Paling visibly, she got up from her chair and went to the door. “We’ll continue this conversation when you report back for duty, Special Agent Gibbs. We’re not done.”

Not replying, Gibbs just looked at her, wondering how he’d ever had feelings for this woman.

******
From the living room, the team was trying their best to listen in on the conversation taking place upstairs. Only a few words filtered down, but they could clearly hear how enraged they both were. Ducky got up, intent on stopping the whole thing before it got out of hand. The level of emotion concerned him; it would not do Jethro good to get too worked up in his present condition.

Before he reached the stairs, the Director came running down, her face pale. She whisked past them, without so much as a glance in either direction.

“Director Shepard,” Ducky began, “please refrain from aggravating Gibbs further. It will only slow his recovery. We are all intent on having him back on duty as soon as possible, are we not?”

“Rest assured, Dr Mallard, I will not take further action until he’s back at NCIS.”

“What do you mean by that?” Abby asked, clearly upset by what the Director implied. Tony put his arm around her shoulders, trying to calm her down.

“That, Ms Sciuto, is none of your business.” Without saying anything more, she strode out the front door, slamming it shut behind her.

“Oh, dear,” Ducky mumbled. “I better check on Jethro.”

The rest of the team moved to follow him, but he shook his head, indicating one visitor was enough.

“I’ll call you if he’s fit to see you. But I do believe it will be best if you all went back to work. You can call on Jethro later tonight.”

The doctor’s demeanor was friendly, but firm. Resigned, Abby got her coat out of the closet, and hugged Tony tightly.

“I’ll be back tonight, okay? I’ll even cook for you,” she promised.

He kissed her cheek and followed them to the front door. “Thanks, Abby, we’ll talk later.“

Waving his goodbyes, he watched as McGee and Abby made their way to their cars. Closing the door behind him, he bound up the stairs, eager to see how Jethro was doing.

The bedroom was dimly lit as he entered. Ducky was leaning over the bed, apparently in the middle of measuring Gibbs’ blood pressure. He didn’t look too concerned, and Tony found solace in that. He went to sit down on the bed, to get a closer look at Gibbs.

The older man was pale and looked drained. He was half asleep, but reached out when he noticed Tony by his side. A warm hand held his, squeezing it lightly.

“I think I need to rest,” he said wearily. “Will you stay with me?” Tony slipped onto the bed, stretching out beside him.

“Your blood pressure is slightly elevated, Jethro, but you’ll be fine. I’ll be back tonight to check up on you. Please, try not to aggravate yourself further, it will not do you any good. My uncle Alistair nearly…”

Tony interrupted him, “Why don’t you tell us all about it tonight, Ducky. I think Jethro needs to sleep, yes?”

“Yes, you’re quite right, Anthony, quite right.”

Ducky picked up his bag and went to the bedroom door, turning to look at the two men resting side by side in the bed. Tony was curled up beside Gibbs, one arm slung across his waist. Jethro held him tight, clearly needing to be close. Smiling, Dr Mallard closed the door quietly behind him, reminding himself to remember to lock the front door. They needed to be left in peace for now, he decided.
Chapter End Notes:
Don't own the characters, no money being made.