- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Ziva and Abby's girls' night in.
Chapter sixteen

Armed with a few bottles of wine and an assortment of tapas, Ziva returned to the apartment with plenty of time for a bath before she had to be ready. She changed into an old soft robe before putting her groceries away. All she had to do now, was to open a couple of bottles of wine, allowing them to breathe before Abby arrived. Eying the wine, she poured herself a glass, bringing it with her to the bathroom.

Her bathroom was bright and airy, which made up for the fact that it was on the small side. A couple of orchids in the windowsill provided a splash of color, as did her purple towels. It did have a good size tub, which she loved. It helped ease sore and tired muscles when having cases that had them working into the small hours of the night.

Turning on the hot water, she went in search of a bottle of bath salts she knew was hidden somewhere. She loved being surrounded by the scent of lavender; it cleared the mind and relaxed her body. Slipping out of her bathrobe, she dimmed the lights and lit a few candles before turning on the CD-player she kept on a shelf by the tub. Buena Vista Social Club soon filled the air and she was humming along to the Spanish lyrics.

Ziva immersed herself in the tub, resting her neck against a soft towel, feeling all the tension in her body go as warm water enveloped her naked form. She let her mind roam free, using the opportunity to relax and unwind after a week that had been exhausting, both mentally and physically.

Not only did they have to deal with the murder of a child, which was always draining. They also had to cope with their boss being seriously injured, only to have the director seize the moment to go on a personal vendetta against the leader of their MCRT. What was it about Gibbs and Tony that had Jenny so enraged? It was like an itch Ziva couldn’t scratch. She needed to get to the bottom of this.

She let her mind wander again; letting all thoughts of the past few days recede to the back of her mind. There was something she should have noticed, she always got this itch when things didn’t quite get her attention. After a while she gave up. It would not come to her now; she’d just have to wait.

Abby arrived at 8 o’clock, looking like she was on her way to a vampire slumber party, dressed in a dark red velvet jump suit, complete with tiny sculls for buttons and an embroidered bat on the back. Ziva had to wonder where she bought her outfits. She came armed with an armload of cookbooks, brimming with ideas for what to make for Tony and Gibbs tomorrow. Ducky’s mother had come down with a cold, and he was reluctant to leave her alone for a whole evening. McGee’s sister had turned up in town on a surprise visit, leaving only the girls to keep the boys company, as Abby put it.

This was Abby’s first visit to her place. They didn’t socialize much outside work, not like this anyway. Ziva loved cooking and she knew it was something the forensic scientist enjoyed as well. This would be a great way for them to bond a little, she thought. Abby dropped an overnight bag in the hall, before venturing further into her apartment. They had decided to make this a sleepover, not wanting to deal with cabs or maybe breaking up a fun evening.

“Ziva!” Abby exclaimed, “I absolutely love your place!” She was studying the view from her window, before roaming about the living room, browsing through Ziva’s bookshelf and looking at the pieces on her side table. Normally this kind of behavior would have made Ziva uncomfortable, having someone being curious about who she was, studying her home, her belongings. But this was Abby, and she found she trusted her, didn’t mind her being there.

A couple of hours later, they were well into their second bottle of wine when the conversation drifted to men and dating. The menu was decided. They were keeping it simple, with a Texas style chicken, baked potatoes and a green salad. The feast would have to wait until Gibbs was back to his normal self again. Then they were planning to invite the entire team for a very special evening, chez Abby and Ziva. Well, actually chez Gibbs, as he had a bigger house.

Abby was sitting on the couch, dressed only in her nighty and snuggled under an afghan Ziva had bought when she first moved here. She kept swirling her glass, watching the ruby liquid before having another taste.

“You seeing anyone, Ziva? Is there a special someone that gets you all hot and horny…”

“Abby!!” Ziva giggled, “No, not right now.”

“Have you been dating at all since you moved here? Or do you prefer casual sex. Or maybe a date with the single girl’s best friend, Mr Vibrator? I know the best place in town to get THE most amazing dildo,” Abby was squealing with laughter, “but, if you prefer women, well, then we’ll have to go to a whole other part of town,” she giggled again.

Ziva nearly choked on her wine, as she laughed outright. “Oh, Tony would have killed to tag along on a night like that! No, seriously, I work too much to have a real relationship,” Ziva complained. “It’s not like there’s a whole lot of men at work to date, either.”

“Come on, girl, you work with two of the sexiest men at NCIS, Ziva! They don’t rock your boat? Not into Italian hunks or gorgeous silver foxes, are we?”

“Oh, he’s handsome, but Gibbs is too old for me. I’m not looking for a father figure. My own is more than enough.” She paused. “Tony, now he’s unbelievably good looking, I’ll admit that, and he’s charming as hell, when he wants to be. But he would drive me crazy. He can be so childish at times. Although I saw a very different Tony today with Gibbs, he was so attentive and caring. Almost…”

“Yeah, well,” Abby interrupted; “let’s have some more wine.” The Goth quickly reached across the table and grabbed the nearly empty bottle of red. “You’ve got another one of this stashed away somewhere?”

“What?”

“Let me top up your glass.”

“Why won’t you talk about them?”

“It’s not like that at all! I just wanna focus on you, ya know, get to know Ziva better.”

“No, that’s not it. You brought them up, and now you don’t want me to talk about them. I find that strange. Don’t you…”

Suddenly she knew what people were talking about when they said ‘things flashed before their eyes’” All these images popped up in her head. How devastated Tony was when Gibbs was shot. The look that flashed between Tony and Gibbs this morning, the way Gibbs had silenced Tony when he talked about the way he wanted to live. How everybody were going out of their way to protect them.

She sat up in the couch, and started pacing the room.

“The bed!” She exclaimed, “They sleep in the same bed!”

“What are you talking about?” Abby asked, looking curious. She’d gotten up, too, flinging the afghan aside.

“Gibbs and Tony, they sleep in the same bed. The covers were flung aside on BOTH sides of the bed. That’s what’s been bugging me since I came home. And the way Tony’s acting with Gibbs. It was loving, that’s the word I’ve been searching for, that’s why you interrupted me just now. You didn’t want me to finish that thought. Holy crap, Gibbs and Tony??”

“Don’t be stupid, Ziva,” Abby chided, “if he slept there, it’s probably because Gibbs needs help during the night. Don’t read anything into it.”

“Oh, no, that won’t do it, Abby. You’re all closing ranks on this one, being protective, running interference. Why didn’t I notice anything before?”

“Because there’s nothing TO notice, Ziva, just drop it.” Abby was on her feet, all the exuberance she’d exhibited earlier gone.

“If there was nothing to notice, why have you gone all quiet? You would have played along, cracking jokes about who’s the boss in bed, trying to picture them together. McGee knows too, right? He was acting all weird and defensive when I asked him about Tony’s sick leave. I’m right, Abby, yes?”

She saw the other woman hesitate, and realized Abby wasn’t sure she could be trusted. She took Abby’s arm and guided her towards the couch again.

“Sit down, Abby, please.” Ziva took a deep breath and looked at the dark haired woman curled up in her couch. Suddenly it really mattered that Abby trusted her, viewed her as a true friend.

“I can’t get into the details, Abby, but I provided Gibbs with intel that will destroy Shepard if she doesn’t get off their case. She’s finished if this comes out.”

“So why don’t we use it?” Abby exclaimed, “Let’s kick her sorry ass out of NCIS!”

“Because Gibbs is worried she could still ruin them. He wants to wait and see. Now, and this is why I believe I’m right, Tony got very upset, talking about how he’d live his life as he chooses, and Gibbs cut him off, warning him to continue.”

She took another sip of wine, savoring the flavor as she gathered her thoughts. Abby was gazing out the window, refusing to look her in the eyes.

“Now, why would he be worried, what could she have against him. An old case? Something Gibbs did in Paris? That wouldn’t include Tony, why would an old case prevent him from leading the life he wants? All these questions, Abby, and so many possible answers, but I see only one that tics all the boxes.”

“Please, Ziva, don’t,” Abby pleaded. “You know I can’t tell you, you know that. So, please, let’s talk about something else.”

“Don’t you trust me?” Ziva suddenly looked very sad, and Abby scooted over to give her a hug.

“That’s not it, Ziva. I can’t confirm or deny your…theories; it’s not for me to tell you whether you’re right or wrong. That’s only for Gibbs and Tony to do. You understand that, right?”

“Yeah, you’re right,” she relented. Getting up to find another bottle of wine, Ziva decided to talk to Tony tomorrow. Maybe he would trust her enough to confide in her, at least she hoped so. She returned to the living room with the wine and a plate of tapas, hoping this hadn’t ruined the good mood of the evening.

She refilled their glasses, and turned to face Abby.

“So, where does a girl have to go to get a decent vibrator in this town?”

Abby’s squeal of delight told her the mood was not lost.

******
Chapter End Notes:
As always, no money being made.

Feedback is greatly appreciated :)