- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
As the situation is resolved, Tony and Gibbs look forward.
Chapter twenty-seven

Author’s Note: This is the last chapter of a story that has turned into something quite different than I intended when I started out. You have all made this such a wonderful ride, and I’m asking you to stay on for the final lap.

It’s also the part where you all have to give me quite a bit of artistic license. Unfortunately, there was no answer to be found on the (real) NCIS official website’s FAQ page to my question: What would SecNav do if the NCIS Director lost her marbles and went after her MCRT, who in turn bugged her office, hacked into her computer and made secret footage of her. All to prevent her from firing the team’s second in command, and also from discovering that the lead agent and his second in command were involved in a gay relationship. No matter how hard I looked, still no luck ;)

So this is MY take on this. I will be referring to non-existing titles, I’m no expert on American Labor law, have not read the FLSA, and don’t know enough about litigation to make this real. For that I ask you to be lenient, and ignore any blatant mistakes.

This is, after all, the wonderful world of make believe!

Thank you all for reading and reviewing!

Hilde

***************************************************************************

The smell of freshly made coffee met Tony when he padded into the kitchen the next morning. Gibbs was sitting at the table, browsing through the morning paper. Breakfast was laid out, and Tony suddenly realized he was starving. All that sex was a great way to build up an appetite, he thought, smiling to himself.

“Get your mind out of the gutter, DiNozzo, we’ve got to get to the office.”

“How can you possibly know what I’m thinking? And what do you mean by ‘we’?”

“You’ve got that look.” Gibbs took another sip of coffee, apparently savoring every last drop.

“Like the one you’ve got now? Don’t try and avoid the question, by the way. It won’t fly.”

“Yes, I’m coming into the office today. We won’t know how things will play out today. I wanna be there in case she does something stupid. I need talk to Ducky, as well.”

“I’ll be ready in twenty,” Tony said, and headed back upstairs to grab a quick shower.

When he returned to the kitchen, Gibbs was still sitting where he’d left him. “Sit down,” he asked.

“What’s up?” Tony felt a growing sense of unease. He hadn’t seen Gibbs look this serious in a long time.

“Listen…” Gibbs hesitated before continuing; “I think it’s best if you moved back to your flat for a couple of days.”

Tony’s hands tightened around the backpack he was holding. He glanced over at Gibbs, who looked very serious.

“Why?” he managed to ask. “I mean, I know we’re not living together, but why now, and why tonight?”

“It’s just until this blows over, Tony. She might be watching us, trying to find something to use against us. If she sees you living here, now when I don’t need that much help, she might get suspicious.”

“I…uh…see.”

“I’ll come over to your place tomorrow, Tony, spend a few days there.”

“No, you’re right, Jethro. I’ll pack a couple of bags right away to take into the office. As you said, she might be watching.” He got up and left the kitchen and was headed for the bedroom when Gibbs called him back.

“You know this has nothing to do with us, right? It’s just a precaution, Tony, she doesn’t need any more ammo.”

Tony relaxed visibly. “I know,” he sighed. “I’m just used to being rejected, that’s all,” he shrugged. “Hard to shift gears, sometimes.”

“Never doubt me, Tony, ever, you got that?”

Tony smiled and headed back upstairs.

Half an hour later, the car was loaded with a couple of boxes and suitcases and they were ready to go into the office.

*****
“What, separation anxiety already?”

“Excuse me?” Gibbs glanced up at Shepard who was standing by his desk, smirking as she repeated her question.

“I hear DiNozzo’s moved out.”

“Word travels fast, I understand. Or are you staking out my house again?”

“That’s your area of expertise, Jethro. Another little tidbit of information that will come in handy for my meeting with Philip.”

“Philip?”

“I have a meeting with SecNav in an hour, Jethro. You might want to polish up your resume. Unless you’re too busy keeping an eye on your puppy over there.” She glanced at Tony who was going through a file, apparently discussing it with McGee.

“Maybe you can persuade him to move back in. It must be nice to have someone around that’s hanging on your every word.”

“I can move around on my own, Jenny, there’s no reason why he can’t move back home. Or stay,” he couldn’t resist adding. “Unlike some people, he’s still welcome in my home.”
She looked at him as a sad expression flickered over her face before it was buried behind a steely exterior.

“I’m happy to say, you’ll have plenty of free time on your hands to cultivate that friendship when this is all over.” Gibbs didn’t bother replying, which infuriated her further. With a final glare she whisked out of the bullpen, looking very smug on her way to her meeting.

******

Everyone drew a collective sigh of relief as she left, but they were also slightly apprehensive. Nobody knew what the repercussions for their efforts would be, whether they would all be out of a job by the end of the day. Although, she would have a hard time proving anything. Oscar had done a very good job covering their tracks.

They gathered in Abby’s lab under the pretext of reviewing an old case file. Shepard still had her allies, although Gibbs doubted she’d involved them in her scheming. Ducky took Tony to one side and looked at him more closely.

“How are you, my dear boy?”

“I’m…fine, it’s just, I…” he hesitated. “I’ll move back home today,” he finally relented.

”Ah…” Dr. Mallard beckoned him to one of the chairs by his desk. “And that is something you don’t want to do, I presume.”

“I’m not a fool, Ducky, contrary to popular belief,” he added wryly, “I know we’re not living together, or anything. It’s just…nice…to have him around,” he sighed. “I’m gonna miss that.”

“Why are you moving out?”

“Gibbs decided it would look suspicious if I stayed on; he doesn’t need that much help anymore.”

“Ah, I see…and you don’t agree?”

“It’s just…I don’t know…he’ll come over tomorrow, I’m just being a lovesick fool, that’s all.”

“You’ve lived very sheltered for a couple of weeks, it’s bound to be a shock to the system when you re-enter the real world.”

Abby came over and sat in Tony’s lap. “You ok, Tony? You look a bit blue…”

“I have to sleep alone tonight…” he sighed, “all alone in that big bed of mine.”

“You wanna borrow Bert? He’ll keep you company all night long,” she giggled.

“Yeah, a farting hippo, that’s just the right substitute for my silver fox,” Tony laughed and hugged her close. “Love you, Abby,” he whispered and kissed her check.

******

Shepard was asked to wait as she arrived on time for her scheduled meeting. She took a seat in the front office and tried to focus on how she should present her case. What would matter to the SecNav was the efficient running of NCIS, to make sure they fulfilled their mission. Although Gibbs’ team was among the best, she truly believed a tighter control on the team would make it even more efficient.

In order for that to happen, she needed to get DiNozzo out of NCIS. His disregard for authority, other than Gibbs’ perhaps, made him a lose cannon. Maybe even Gibbs would have to go, she conceded. The former Marine was getting old, maybe too old to keep up with the job. Besides, she couldn’t allow him to remain on the team, especially after what happened yesterday. He knew too much. If he’d been ungovernable before, from now on he’d be positively awful.

An hour later she began to get worried. Putting down the magazine she was reading, she went over to the secretary who was busy typing

“Is there a reason why I’m being kept waiting? It’s been an hour.” She didn’t quite manage to keep the annoyance out of her voice.

“I’m afraid he’s been held up in another meeting,” the older woman replied, glancing at her over the top of her glasses, “but will see you at his earliest convenience. He knows you have arrived, Director Shepard,” she added.

Half an hour later she was ready to blow a fuse. The secretary had arranged for coffee and biscuits, but that did little to placate her mood. She was just about to enquire again, when suddenly she was shown into the Secretary’s office.

“Madam Director, please take a seat.” She noticed him using her title, not her first name as he had on previous occasions. Taking the offered seat, she noticed a thick file on his desk, wondering briefly what it contained. No matter what senator Nash had said, the grievances she had against DiNozzo were real and indisputable.

“It has come to my attention there are a few…unfortunate circumstances occurring at NCIS at the moment.”

“Yes, there are, and I really appreciate this opportunity to address those issues and also give my recommendations for how to solve the problems within the agency. Well, to be fair, within one team in particular, the MCRT. This team is far too important for me to ignore the current problems.”

“And what may they be, in your opinion?” Secretary Winters looked at her evenly. His brown eyes were impossible to read.

“I have a serious problem with the Major Case Response Team,” she began. “The agent leading it…”

“Special Agent Jethro Gibbs,” the Secretary of the Navy interjected.

“Why, yes. Anyway, he has shown a serious lack of judgment in the handling of his team. He is allowing his personal feelings for one of the agents to interfere.”

“Personal feelings? Could you elaborate, please?”

“As you may be aware of, Agent Gibbs lost his wife and child a few years back.”

“Fifteen, I believe.” Again the SecNav interrupted, revealing far more knowledge about the people involved than she had thought possible.

“It has come to my attention that he and his second in command, Agent DiNozzo are engaged in a personal relationship.”

The man across the table cocked an eyebrow, “Are you implying they are involved in a sexual relationship?”

“No,” she snorted, “it’s more of a father/son thing. Although I’m fairly sure he’s sleeping with one of his other agents. Anyway, DiNozzo’s estranged from his father, and…”

“This is the same father you contacted to obtain the photos you used in your attempt to force Agent DiNozzo off the team, I take it.”

Shepard’s mind went blank. She hadn’t expected him to know about this. She thought Gibbs was bluffing when he told her about his connections. Never ever underestimate the man when his team is threatened, she chided herself.

“I’ll be blunt, Director Shepard. Unfortunately, the material presented to me is in large part not admissible in court. The material that is, such as the Mossad file, will remain sealed. The embarrassment of making public that the Director of NCIS has been involved in blackmail and attempted to coerce a psychologist to produce a false diagnosis is far too severe. Not to mention the fact that you framed a fellow agent before assassinating a foreign friendly agent. The list goes on, Madam Director. And this was all done for what? Personal gain? Some kind of personal vendetta?”

Secretary Winters raised a hand when she opened her mouth, signaling he was not interested. He got up and walked over to the window, looking out at the park below him.

“Sadly, we do not expect you to walk quietly. The Administration does not, at this time, I must add, wish to engage in a costly lawsuit. But, we certainly do not wish to be seen condoning this behavior. You have shown a complete disregard for your organization, interrupted the work of your teams, and ultimately compromised what we are here to do.”

He turned to look at her again, towering over her as he spoke.

“I’ve discussed this with my advisors and we’ve decided to put you on probation. An Assistant Director will be brought in to oversee your work, and to relieve you of some of your duties. You will not be involved in the running of the teams for the foreseeable future. The extent of your duties will be decided later, as we need some time to think this through.”

He sat back down, folding his hands in front of him and held her eyes.

“It is of course, our wish and our advice to you to resign, Madam Director. Although a career within law enforcement or the government is…”

“This is outrageous,” she hissed. “My agents have conspired against me, bugged my office, hacked into my personal computer, deceived me and circumvented the chain of command in every possible way, and I’m being fired?” She sounded incredulous.

Clearly angry, the man in front of her interrupted her flow of words, obviously not interested in listening to her ranting anymore. “That’s all conjecture, Madam Director. There’s no law against having a hidden camera in your own home. As far as the rest goes, there’s no way of proving who set it up. And frankly, I’m not interested in pursuing that angle, anyway. What’s far more important is what ended up on those tapes. I think we can both agree you’ve dug yourself into a hole you’ll find it very hard to crawl out of.”

He rose. ”You have vacation time on the books, Madam Director. Use it. For the next three weeks, I will not see you back at NCIS. Use the time wisely, Ms. Shepard, make the right decision. Goodbye, Director.” He stood, signaling the meeting was over.

Stunned, she remained seated for a moment, before gathering her things and walking towards the door. As she reached it, the SecNav spoke again.

“I’m sorry it had to end like this, Director Shepard.”

Unable to reply, she blindly reached for the door and made her way through the offices, and down to her car. The blinding sunlight outside shook her out of her daze and she gasped for air as the severity of the situation hit her. All lost, all for nothing. Getting into her car, she was unable to move for a long, long time. An hour later she drove off, heading for home. Maybe this was not a bad thing. She could use the time to regroup, figure out what to do next. All she knew was that this was not over. It couldn’t be. Not like this.

******
The day had passed in a blur. The news of Shepard’s leave of absence and the appointment of an Assistant Director had come as a shock to the entire organization. The official spin on the story was that health issues had forced her to take time off, to regain her strength before resuming her duties at a time to be disclosed later.

The anticipated elation they’d expected to feel had been absent, only sad resignation at the absurdity of the whole situation. As soon as the news became public, Gibbs’ team congregated in Autopsy, wanting to discuss the new situation.

“Do you know who’s appointed Assistant Director? I didn’t even know there was such a position,” Abby said.

“There isn’t. And no, I don’t.” Gibbs looked at the people gathered around him. “It’s more of a precaution. They don’t expect her to accept defeat, so the Powers that be want to keep a close eye at what she’s doing.”

“Does this mean Tony can stay?” Abby giggled, nudging Gibbs lightly.

“Abby…”

“Well, does it?” She was not budging.

“Don’t you think that’s something for me and Tony to decide?” he tried.

“Actually no, Bossman, I think I’m perfectly able to look at the situation, logically that is. I am a scientist after all, and my findings suggest that…”

“Fine, yes, he can stay, Abby, happy now?” Gibbs glared at her but couldn’t keep the smile off his face.

“Very happy. Now, accept this teddy bear as a token of my love and devotion…”

“Abby…” Gibbs interrupted her, “not happening.” He shook his head, and drew her into his arms. “Thanks, Abby,” he whispered, as he kissed the top of her head. “We owe you big time. A lifetime supply of CafPows and Sunday dinners at Casa Gibbs.”

An hour later Gibbs sent them all home, having given them the next day off work. The entire team had all earned it, given what they’d gone through in the last couple of weeks. Tomorrow, they were invited to his house for dinner, but tonight he wanted to be alone with the man he loved.

An hour later they were home, and Tony carried his boxes and bags back into the house.

“I’ll move back this weekend,” he suggested, “then we’ll work out a schedule, or just play it by ear.”

“How about Sunday night? I wanna spend this weekend with you, Tony.” Gibbs held him close, breathing in the scent of the younger man, warm and spicy and very Tony.

“Sounds like a plan.” Tony leaned in and kissed him, wrapping his arms around Gibbs, wanting to get as close as possible.

“You hungry?”

“No, not particularly…you have anything better on offer?”

“Always,” Gibbs growled, tugging at Tony’s shirt, eager to get to naked skin.

They made their way to the den, shedding their clothes as they went. Stretched out on top of the comforter, Gibbs ran his hands over Tony’s chest. He was lying on his back, arms stretched to his sides.


“What do you want, Tony? Tell me.”

“I want you in me," he said huskily, pushing himself up on his elbows, watching Gibbs intently.

"I want to feel you everywhere. Around me, inside me, sliding in and out of my body until you come inside me, collapsing on top of me and knowing that no one has ever made me feel like this. All I want to think about is how right this feels.”

Tony's eyes were dark with lust and his hands tightened around the sheets, as he watched Gibbs intently. "Make me scream, Jethro," he said, his voice low. "Think you can do that, Marine?"

”Oh, yeah…” Gibbs leaned forward and kissed him insistently, grabbed his wrists and held Tony’s arms above his head. With his lover stretched out on top of him, Tony relished in the feel of naked smooth skin against his own.

“You feel so good,” he hissed. Tony circled his legs around Gibbs’ waist, trying to pull him even closer.

Gibbs reached for the lube and slicked up his fingers. He rubbed lightly over Tony’s entrance before penetrating him slowly.

“Oh, fuck,” Tony growled, “I need you, God, Jethro!”

But despite Tony’s pleas, Gibbs' fingers were careful and steady as they opened him up, stretching him until nothing existed for the young Italian than the pure pleasure spreading throughout his body.

“You wanted me to make you scream, remember?” Gibbs murmured as he brushed his fingers over Tony’s prostate.

“Wanna see if I can make you come like this?" he said hoarsely, fingers twisting inside Tony's velvety heat. "Just fuck you with my fingers, make you moan and gasp and squirm for me until you came all over yourself."

Tony didn't manage to respond to that. All he could focus on was Gibbs’ fingers, sliding in and out, and the heat spreading everywhere.

Gibbs smiled and pulled out his fingers.

Gibbs lay down on his back. “Wanna go for a ride, cowboy?”

Straddling his hips, Tony steadied himself with one hand on the other man’s chest, while using the other to guide Gibbs’ rock hard cock inside him in one deliberate thrust. A long drawn out moan escaped his lips as he was filled completely. The former Marine ran his hands up and down Tony’s thighs, soothing and arousing at the same time, deliberately avoiding touching his erection.

"Fuck," he whispered, hands tightening almost painfully on Gibbs' chest. "Oh, yes."

Gibbs shuddered at the feel of Tony around him, hot velvety heat enveloping him as Tony stayed completely still. He closed his eyes, head falling back on soft pillows. Tony's arm wrapped around his shoulders, lifting him up, pulling him up against Tony's body, taut with lust.

"So good," he murmured. "All mine, Jethro, all this just for me."

“Yes,” Gibbs hissed, “all yours, Tony.” He needed to move, to slide in and out of that tight heat, but Tony remained still a few moments longer.

Tony kissed him lovingly before slowly and deliberately he started moving. Gibbs thought he had died and gone to heaven, each thrust inside Tony making him gasp for breath and arch against Tony's body.

"You're killing me,” Gibbs groaned, this is too much." Suddenly the need to move was too overwhelming and he pushed Tony down on the bed so he was lying on his side.

“You wanna see if I can make you scream, Tony?” A low growl was all the reply he got. Tony moved one leg to the side, welcoming him in. Gibbs was too far gone to take it slow. He started thrusting into the hot body sprawled out beside him, long and hard, holding him as close as he could.

His whole body tensing, Gibbs slammed into Tony one last time and came, a low keening wail escaping his throat. He was dimly aware of Tony screaming and clenching around his cock as he came, faint tremors running through his body as the aftershocks of his orgasm lingered.

Gibbs held him tight and chuckled, “I said I could make you scream, didn’t I?”

“For once, I don’t mind you being right,” Tony smiled, before wrapping himself around Gibbs, as he always did.

******

Tony awoke around four am to find the bed next to him empty. He slid out from under the covers, threw on an old soft robe Gibbs had hanging by the door and went in search of his missing lover. Padding downstairs, he noticed a soft glow from the living room. Looking inside, he saw Gibbs sitting by the French doors with what appeared to be a photo album in his lap. Tony took a step inside before he realized what Gibbs was doing. Stopping, he turned to walk back out when Gibbs spoke to him.

“It’s okay, Tony,” he said quietly.

“I didn’t mean to interrupt,” Tony began.

“You’re not,” Gibbs assured him. “I was just looking through some old albums, wanted to tell Shannon and Kelly about you.”

Tony felt like the wind was knocked out of him, he hadn’t expected this, not so soon. He was still by the door, not sure whether to approach Gibbs or not. Gibbs stood up, tucked the albums under one arm and grabbed one of his crutches with the other one. Sitting down on the couch, Gibbs looked over his shoulder at Tony, and beckoned him over.

“You sure?” he asked, “about me seeing this?” Looking over at the man he’d grown to love, Gibbs’ features looked softer, and his eyes had an expression in them he recognized from earlier, when he’d told Tony he loved him.

“I’ll never forget them, you know. You think you can live with that?”

“I’m not asking you to forget, Jethro, I would never, ever want that.” He reached out and ran his hand down Gibbs’ arm. “I just need to make sure you have room for all three of us. If you feel guilty about you and me, a year down the line, you’ll start resenting me, and I can’t…”

Gibbs put the albums aside and took Tony into his arms.

“I don’t feel guilty, Tony. I thought I would, but I don’t. I haven’t felt like this about anyone since Shannon died, not with anyone.”

He leaned forward and picked up the photo albums, placing them on his lap.

“I’d like to share this part of me with you, you up for it?” The younger man just nodded, suddenly a bit lost for words.

Holding Tony close, he opened the first one, revealing images of a beautiful red haired woman holding a newborn baby in her arms. Her eyes were looking at the little girl, as a slender hand touched a perfect rosy cheek. By her side, Gibbs was sitting on the side of the bed, one arm flung around his wife, the other holding a tiny foot. He was looking at the two in his arms with an expression of utter awe.

Tony felt his eyes well up; there was so much love in that picture. He wondered briefly whether his own parents had ever felt like this about him. Shaking it off, he listened to Jethro talk about his little family.

He had seen the occasional photo of them before, bit not like this. Their life together, Shannon’s little written comments under each picture. There were small mementos as well, things like ticket stubs, dried flowers and a couple of drawings of Kelly’s in the back. Probably put there by Gibbs after they died, Tony realized, as he saw the small note written underneath in Gibbs’ hand.

“Kelly loved to jump up and down in my lap when she was learning to walk, shrieking with laughter when I held her high above my head. When she got older she called it ‘flying with daddy’. I’d throw Kelly in the air and catch her, over and over again in the backyard.”

He stroked a finger lightly over a picture. Tony took a closer look. Kelly was running around outside, while Gibbs was planting a cherry tree over by the garden shed. He stood up and looked outside. It was still there, fully grown now.

Tony glanced around the room, wondering how many memories this house actually held for Jethro. Good and bad. He met Gibbs’ eyes across the room. The older man looked relaxed, and happy to have him here.

“C’mere,” Gibbs murmured, “sit down. It’s cold without you.”

Gibbs opened another album and told stories of Kelly’s love for chocolate chip cookies, the first time he had to leave them, and the relief he felt every time when he was reunited with his wife and child. Several photos of Jethro and Kelly sanding the hull of a boat in the cellar had Tony smiling. .

“Did you finish that one?” he asked, instantly regretting it, afraid he’d bring up painful memories.

“No…,” Gibbs answered quietly. “I burned it, after they were killed. I couldn’t look at it anymore.”

He picked up another album; this one was from his days as a Marine, images of places he’d visited, men he’d served with. Gibbs’ voice was warm and soothing and half way into his third album Tony was fast asleep in Gibbs’ arms.

Gibbs thought back to that night a couple of weeks back, when Tony finally let his masks slip, showing him the man underneath. That night had changed his life, he realized. He was no longer alone, and he was finally able to love again.

Gibbs held the younger man close; all the while his hand was carding through Tony’s hair, keeping them connected. The photographs in the albums held his past, but the man in his arms was his future. He knew that, and the knowledge filled him with a sense of calm he hadn’t felt in a long time.

THE END
******
Chapter End Notes:
A huge thanks to Kimber and Oygunn for your help throughout :)

*hugs*