- Text Size +
Slipping - chapter seven

‘Norway? What the hell was she talking about? And she knew?’ Tony felt his head spin. ‘Abby knew! How could she know?’

Feeling dizzy, Tony slid down on the floor, supporting his head in his arms. All he could see was Abby’s platform boots, pacing back and forth in front of him. They were his favorite pair, the ones with the tiny bells that jingled when she walked.

“How…?” he croaked.

“I told you! I saw you at the hospital. Aaaw, you were soo sweet together.”

“And you’re okay with this? I mean; it’s Gibbs we’re talking about here! I know how you feel about him, Abs. My track record when it comes to relationships isn’t stellar…I just hope you think I’m good enough…”

Abby stopped her pacing and turned to face him, crouching down in front of his feet.

“Tony, look at me.”

Sighing deeply, he lifted his head, looking her straight in the eyes. Abby cupped his face in her hands and gave him a light kiss.

“I love you, Tony, you know that, right?” He nodded, green eyes not leaving hers.

“And you know I love Gibbs, yes?” Again, an affirmative nod.

“So, when two people I care deeply about, find love, how could I not be okay with this?”

“Because it’s me, Abby.”

“Oh, baby…” she took his hands in hers, squeezing lightly. “One day I’m gonna kick your parents’ asses for messing you up like this! You’re the best thing that has happened to him in a long, long time.”

“You can’t tell anyone, Abby. The director would throw me off the team in an instant if she found out.”

“Ooo, yeah, lots of ugly history there. She would not be happy to find Gibbs in love again. And with another man!” she giggled.

“Did you know he was into men?”

“No…well…I knew he was into you, but wasn’t sure whether it was just a father/son thing, a bromance or if he had romantic feelings for you. He’s not that easy to read, ya know.”

“Ya think?!”

“Listen, You’re good for him, Tony, don’t let anyone have you believe otherwise.”

“Thanks, Abs, I love you, too, you know.”

******
Gibbs woke up, feeling slightly disappointed when he found the room empty. He knew Ducky had sent Tony home, but he stilled missed him. It felt strange, how could he miss something he’d barely had? Strange, but good. He reached for his phone, then decided against it. He didn’t want to wake him if he was asleep. Tony would be back soon, he was sure of it.

His whole world had turned upside down a couple of days ago, and now it was in turmoil again. The thought of having Tony care for him both scared and comforted him. Ducky was right. He could screw this up so easily, by just being himself. The fact that Tony hadn’t left the team years ago told him that he was resilient, at least. And not easily cowed. But still, it was one thing to take abuse from your boss, from your lover was another matter. And when that person was both?

The door to his room opened, but to his disappointment it was Jenny who walked in.

“Hello, Jethro,” she smiled as she looked around the room. “You all alone? I didn’t think your team left your side these days.”

“Ducky sent them home, they need their rest.”

“Some more than others, I see. Why has Dr Mallard put DiNozzo on sick leave? He wasn’t injured as far as I’ve been told.” She was pacing the room now, stiletto heals clicking away.

“Do I look like an oracle, Jenny? Ask Ducky. And will you sit down? Your shoes are driving me insane,” he growled.

“Don’t…fine. I’ll do that. I want him back on duty with the rest of the team. There’s no reason what so ever for him to be on sick leave.”

“You go to medical school at night, Jenny? Why are you so worked up about this? It’s not like Tony doesn’t have leave on the books. Only in vacation time he’s got more than enough to cover that.”

“Ducky didn’t clear it with me first,” she hissed.

“Nor should I, Director Shepard. The health and welfare of the team is my responsibility, my call.” Ducky slipped out of his coat and draped it across a chair by the bed. He focused his attention on Gibbs, looking through the charts and checking the monitors. Gibbs was pleased to see that Jenny had the good grace to look embarrassed.

“How are you, Jethro?”

“Fine. Just waiting for the doctor to go through my treatment with me. She should be by soon.”

“Good, good. Now, McGee asked me to let you know they have wrapped up the Dunner case. Mr. Walter is still listed in serious condition, but the doctors were cautiously optimistic when I spoke to them earlier. Sadly, there will be no trial. I know you wanted to make him stand trial for what he did. But he did pay the ultimate price, as, I’m afraid, did his family.”

******
When Tony arrived at Bethesda Naval hospital his head was still spinning from what Abby had told him. She knew! He’d let his guard down for a few minutes, early in the morning at a private hospital room and she managed to overhear them. At least it wasn’t Madame Director, he thought wryly, she wouldn’t be so understanding.

Opening the door to Gibbs’ room, he became aware of voices inside. He stuck his head in and saw Jenny and what probably was the attending doctor standing by Gibbs’ bed. Ducky was over by the window, nodding as he saw Tony.

The director shot a cool glance in his direction.

“Would you give us some privacy, Agent DiNozzo?” she said icily before turning her back to him.

“Jenny, wait outside. I want Tony here with me. He needs to hear this, you don’t,” Gibbs snarled, clearly not in the mood to be told what to do, or to be nice.

She opened her mouth to protest, but was obviously too shocked to do so. She whipped past Tony, “Do try and pay attention to what the doctor is saying, DiNozzo. Gibbs is obviously still completely out of it.”
Chapter End Notes:
No money being made, don't own them. Thanks to Kim and Oygunn for helping me move the story on.