- Text Size +
Rigged ::: Chapter 3




Gibbs walked into the Squad room the next morning with his usual cup of coffee in his hand and walked straight to his desk. While doing so he was able to look out of the corner of his eyes and watch his team doing their normal morning rituals.


McGee would always be plucking away at his computer probably checking e-mails, something Gibbs himself often forgot to do. Ziva was getting herself situated, by checking her gear bag to make sure she had everything ready to go out on a run.


When Gibbs looked at Tony's desk though he was slightly surprised to see the younger man was missing. It wasn't completely abnormal for him to come in a bit later then the rest of them, but after glancing at the clock and seeing it was close to eight O'clock in the morning, Gibbs would never admit it but he was a bit worried. “Where's DiNozzo?” he stated in his normal gruff tone to Ziva and Tim.


McGee was the first to start stammering. “Uh-I'm...well...not sure boss.”


Ziva simply shrugged her shoulders. “I have not seen him this morning. He could have had another one of his dentist appointments.” It had been a running joke with the team that every time they didn't know where Tony was that he was probably at the dentist. It had all started after Tony had talked about dentist appointments when he had been undercover working for Jenny. The really funny part was the fact that Tony had actually gone weeks with an impacted tooth after his cover was blown, and he was no longer dating Jeanne, because nobody believed him when he said he needed to take time off for a dentist appointment. Ziva felt that Gibbs actually did feel sorry he hadn't believed the younger man because of the intense amount of pain he had gone through with the sore tooth.


Just then the elevator sounded and Tony came walking out of the doors, looking like death warmed over. “Sorry I'm late,” he said even though he knew Gibbs wouldn't want to hear it. Gibbs simply wanted you to get to doing whatever it was you were supposed to do, no apologizes. Now though; Tony felt like he needed to say it, at least for his own piece of mind.


“You look like shit,” McGee said as he looked over and saw the state his friend was in.


“Love you too, Probie.” Tony grumbled as he flopped into his chair.


McGee rolled his eyes, “Seriously Tony, you look like you'd been out drinking all night. Did you go out someplace else after we went dancing last night?” He had been pretty sure they were all heading home after but he wasn't Tony's keeper so it wasn't like he followed him or anything.


“One doesn't have to go out to get shit faced,” Tony pointed out as he booted up his computer and went about trying to do his normal routine before Gibbs started glaring at him even more then he already was. Truth be told he had gone home and tried to fall asleep, but he couldn't. He kept thinking about what had happened that day and the more he thought about it the more he wanted it to happen again. But that would give him a whole other thing to think about and that was how much he had known Gibbs hadn't wanted it to happen. Then he would want to either throw up or get completely drunk, and that's what he chose. Then again the throwing up part had happened AFTER the getting completely drunk part.


“Yeah,” McGee simply said as he continued to look worriedly at Tony. It wasn't normal for the other man to stay home and get drunk. Sure, McGee knew him to have a few beers after work to unwind for the day, but mostly Tony was a social drinker.


Abby came walking into the squad room and right over to McGee's desk. “What's happening guys?” she asked the whole team curiously as she perched herself on the edge of the desk.


Gibbs gave Abby a curious look, wondering what in the world the younger woman was doing up there, especially when they didn't have an active case at the moment. “We're just all getting settled in Abbs, is there something you need?”


Abby shook her head, “No, it's just lonely down in my lab all alone when I've got nothing to work on.”


“Maybe you could mix up a hang-over cure for Tony,” Ziva mumbled.


Those words had Abby jumping up and rushing over to Tony's side. “Oh no...she's right, you don't look so good and could use a pick-me-up.” she said ruffling his hair with a frown on her face.


Tony groaned, “Will you guys give it a rest, yeah I may look like and feel like shit but it's not the first time. Just leave me be, I'll be fine.” he spat irritably.


Abby backed up from her friend with a wounded look on her face. It wasn't very often that Tony snapped at people, especially Abby.


“Okay enough people, let's just get to work. I bet there is some paper work that needs to get finished before a case pops up.” Gibbs barked at his team. He wasn't in the mood to see a pouting Abby or a moody rather pubesent acting Tony.



::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


It was thankfully only a half an hour before Gibbs got a call from disbach with a case. The widow of a Petty officer was found dead in her apartment by a friend whom she was supposed to be going shopping with.


When the team arrived at the crime scene they automatically started doing the things they always did. Gibbs talked with Ducky as he checked the time of death while Tony did sketches and took pictures.


“It appears this young woman was stabbed to death, probably by somebody she knew due to the close proximity of the wound to her heart.” Ducky said as he looked the body over. “I would say time of death would have been about five hours ago.”


Gibbs nodded his head as he looked over the body. “It doesn't look like she put up a fight either,” he said pointing at the perfectly manicured finger nails. “She's also dressed to go out if this outfit is anything to go by.”


“Maggy Holland, the woman who found the body, said they were getting together to go shopping for wedding dresses.” Ziva pointed out. “It was for Maggy's wedding, not the dead woman, who is Amanda Pratt.”


McGee, who was at Amanda's computer, quickly spoke up. “She was surfing the internet sometime this morning or last night. She left the browser window open to a medical website, where she put in a search for sexually transmitted diseases.”


Tony made a face and backed away from the body a little. “Be careful there Doc, don't want you catching anything.”


Ducky looked up at Tony, “What exactly do you think I am doing with the bodies down in autopsy?”


“I didn't mean that you...I mean I know you wouldn't.” Tony said before shutting up and going back to snapping photographs.


“McGee gather the computer and anything else you think would be useful and bag it. We'll take everything we can back to headquarters.” Gibbs said as he stood up and headed towards the door. Once outside he took time to look around the front deck of the apartment complex for any clues as to what happened to the young woman inside. The friend who Ziva had talked to said that she was only twenty-four and had only been married to her late husband for a year before he passed away. He wasn't sure yet to the cause of the husband's death but something in his gut told him it wasn't the normal way a military officer died overseas.


The inside of the apartment had been clean and nothing appeared to be out of place. The outside of the apartment was in the same condition and the locks on the door hadn't been picked, nor were the windows broken. The more Gibbs looked at things the more he was sure the woman had been killed by somebody she knew, and probably knew very well.


Just then Jimmy Palmer came walking up to the first level apartment with the gurney and body bag in tow. The younger man had just came back to work after being on a three month paternity leave. He and his husband Charles had, had an adorable baby boy but Gibbs could tell that parenthood was taking it's tole on the medical examiner. A slight smile came to his face as he thought about when Kelly had been a baby. She thankfully wasn't a hard baby, but he and Shannon had many sleepless nights with the infant.


“Need help there Palmer?” Gibbs asked, wanting to give the new father a little support. His pregnancy had been difficult as was the birth, so he figured he could use a little assistance even though his pride was sure to hold him back from asking for it.


Jimmy was shocked to hear Gibbs offer his help. It wasn't that Gibbs was a mean man, but he often didn't offer help, especially to Jimmy. “Um...yeah sure, thanks.” he said with a smile.


Gibbs took the other end of the gurney and helped Jimmy wheel it into the apartment so he and Ducky could get the body ready to leave. Once he was sure Jimmy was okay, Gibbs walked over to where his team was still bagging and tagging evidence. “Find anything?”


Ziva held up a small clear baggy in her hands that had a few strands of hair in it. “This was found on the counter in the bathroom. It's blonde and Mrs. Pratt's hair is dark brown.”


Gibbs nodded, which was his way of saying 'good job' to his only female agent. He tried to praise his subordinates as much as possible, but in ways that didn't simply say 'good job' out right. Of course he did use those words sometimes, but he tried to leave that for times it was really warranted.


“I think we're ready to head out, Boss.” McGee said as he looked at the three full file boxes with evidence baggies in them. “We've got all the stuff that appears necessary.


Normally Gibbs would have lectured the younger man about how he would have known what was necessary but didn't mostly because he realized McGee was right. With the way the room was so clean it appeared they did indeed have all the evidence bagged and ready to go. “Okay let's head back and get this stuff to Abby then.”


“I'm driving the car!” Tony called as he rushed to the blue sedan that was parked next to the NCIS truck and Ducky's medical examiner truck.


McGee rolled his eyes, “I'll ride with you.”


Tony knew his behavior was childish, but he couldn't think about spending time in close quarters with Gibbs right now. He just knew the second he was next to the other man his skin would light on fire and he would have this unhealthy urge to touch him.


“You are seriously acting odd,” McGee stated when he and Tony started heading back to headquarters. “It's like you're hiding something.”


“Would you stop being so nosey? I am allowed to have my own thoughts you know.” Tony said in a firm voice that he hoped would tell McGee he didn't want to talk about this right now.


McGee shrugged his shoulders. “Fine, but if it starts messing with work then it becomes everybody's business, not just yours.”


“Nothing is going to mess with work, so don't you worry.” Tony spat as he continued to drive. Right now all he wanted to do was finish off the work day and go home. He had the plan to go to bed early that night with some sleep medication and not wake up once until he had to.


::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


Abby wondered around her lab going from one machine to the other as she did her tests. She had been working non-stop since the team had gotten back from the crime scene, trying to process all the evidence she had been given. It was close to seven O'clock at night now and she really had the desire to go home.


Tim came walking into the lab and watched his girlfriend running around. He could tell by the way she was moving that she was tired, but also knew she wouldn't go home until the last of the evidence was processed. “Anything I can do to help?” he asked as he walked up behind her, wrapping her into his arms.


Abby sighed as she leaned back, “No...I've just got a few more things to finish then I should be able to leave. You can go home without me if you want.” She didn't want to be the reason Tim was staying at work longer then normal. “You should go pick Jethro up from Sarah's place anyway.”


“He's fine, I called Sarah an hour ago to tell her we were going to be late. She's just at home studying anyway.” Tim said as he looked towards the mass spectronomer when it started beeping. “Looks like something actually finished.”


Abby smiled big as she walked over to the machine and checked out the test. “Well that for sure wasn't Amanda Pratt's hair.” she said happy to finally find a test that showed something they didn't already know for sure.


“Do you know whose it is?” Tim asked curiously as he too looked at the test.


Abby quickly put the DNA sample into the computer and started up AFIS to check for a possible match. “We'll know once AFIS finds a match. I'm running it against military personal first just in case this case finally does something the easy way.”


Gibbs came walking into the lab and over to where Abby and McGee stood. “Whatcha got for me Abbs?”


Abby smiled, still finding it highly amusing that Gibbs always appeared whenever she got a new test result. “Well, we now know for sure that the hair found in Amanda Pratt's bathroom wasn't her hair. I am running the sample through AFIS to try and find a possible match.”


“Good work Abbs,” Gibbs said with a smile and then looked at the clock hanging on the wall. “Why don't you leave that hunting and at least head out to get some dinner.”


Abby shook her head, “I'm going to stick this one out.”


“You make it sound like you don't normally,” McGee pointed out with a smile. “But Abby you really should go eat, and I am rather hungry myself.”


Abby glared at McGee a little. “Then you two go eat, I'm staying here.” she said as she took a seat at the stool in front of her computer for effect.


McGee sighed and looked to Gibbs who simply shrugged his shoulders. “Fine...but I'm bringing you back something to eat.” he said before following Gibbs out the door.


Once in the elevator he turned to his mentor. “Do you think Abby's acting different?” McGee asked.


Gibbs was slightly taken back by the question but didn't let it show on his face. “I'm not the one who is living with the woman. If anybody should think she is acting differently it should be you. Plus you know not to me for advice when it comes to the female population”


“I know, and I think she is acting different, but I wanted to know if you thought so as well.” McGee pointed out as they got out of the elevator and headed towards their desks. “She's moodier the normal and has been cuddling up to Bert in bed more then me.”


Tony overheard this and laughed, “You mean she takes the flatulent hippo home with her and sleeps with it?”


“You've seen her do it,” McGee said with a glare in Tony's direction.


“I know but dude, she really prefers to sleep with the stuffed animal more then she does you?” Tony was getting a big kick out of the reaction he was getting from McGee. It had been a while since he had been able to make fun of the younger man's sex life since he had been seriously dating Abby.


Ziva decided to join the conversation. “I think that is the point that Tim is trying to make, Tony. Abby normally does not cuddle with the hippo more then she does her boyfriend.”

Tim nodded his head, happy somebody got what he was trying to say. “Exactly, it's like she doesn't want me around that much anymore and would rather get her comfort from the stuffed animal rather then me. I feel like she's mad at me or something but I can't figure out why.”


“She seemed fine last night,” Tony said seriously. “I mean she was happily dancing with Ziva.”


Tim's eyes went wide, “Maybe that's it...maybe she wants something different? What if she wants to try sleeping with a woman instead of a man and she doesn't know how to tell me?”


“You got a point there Probie, and if she actually goes to do it, then give me a call.” Tony said with a smirk wiggling his eyebrows.


Gibbs couldn't take it anymore and walked over and wacked Tony upside the head. “You really need to shut up.” he stated before walking towards the Mens' room. He honestly had no idea how Tony could be such a great agent but a completely idiotic man at times. He would go from being serious and sweet to joking and a complete jack-ass in a matter of seconds. As he stood and relieved himself he thought about how Tony had been the day before in that warehouse. He had been sweet and understanding then thankfully. Nothing had been a joke and it made the whole blasted situation better. Groaning, Gibbs finished up and went to wash his hands. He wanted to go home, work on his boat and continue to try and push those memories from his mind. Thankfully they had a case now that seemed like it was going to last at least a few days to keep him occupied at work.


Meanwhile McGee was still glaring at Tony for his pervious comment. “You really are a pig, Tony.” he spat as he sat down at his desk. “That wasn't just some random girl you offended but, Abby, you better remember that.”

“I do not think it is just Abby who is acting odd.” Ziva said as she walked over towards Tony's desk. “You too are acting strangely.”


Tony ran a hand through his already spiky hair. He hadn't meant to offend Tim or Abby but it seemed he had done both with one comment. “Dude, I'm sorry okay? It just came out you know I think more highly of yours and Abby's relationship then that.” He then looked to Ziva. “I'm not acting odd, I don't know what you're talking about.”


McGee just continued to sit there glaring at his computer screen. He knew he should get up and go find something for him and Abby to eat. If he didn't come back with the food he knew his girlfriend would skip the meal entirely. Getting up he headed to the elevator without a word.


Both Tony and Ziva watched McGee leave and sighed. “He's really beating himself up over whatever is going on with Abby.” Tony said to Ziva hoping she would bring the focus of the topic back to their friendly Gothic forensic scientist.


Ziva stood in thought for a second before nodding her head, “I think I will go and have a talk with her, see if talking with another woman will help get to the bottom of this.” With that she headed for the back elevator and down to Abby's lab.


Tony didn't know what was going on with Abby, and Tim seemed out os sorts as well. It appeared the whole time was acting strangely. He liked to think he knew what was going on with Gibbs, but that meant that the other man was as worked up over the previous day's events as he had been and that was highly unlikely. It wasn't like Gibbs had feelings for him either positive or negative. They were simply co-workers and as long as Tony got the job done, Gibbs was a happy man. He knew he was going to have to get himself together before his job did start to suffer.


::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


Abby looked up from her computer when she heard somebody walk into the room. She smiled slightly when she saw Ziva. “Hey Ziva,” she said happy to see her friend. They had gotten off to a rocky start but now she really felt Ziva was her best friend. They talked about everything and did almost everything together when Abby wasn't busy with Timmy or bowling with the nuns.


“What is going on Abby?” Ziva asked point blank as she took a seat on the stool next to where Abby was sitting.


“What do you mean?” Abby asked trying to play stupid even though she had a feeling Tim had started complaining about her odd behavior as of late. She knew her boyfriend was upset with her lack of attention, especially when it came to their time in the bedroom. This didn't mean sex completely, but normally she was a cuddly person in bed but lately this had changed.


Ziva shook her head in disbelief, “You know exactly what I am talking about, so spit.”


Abby couldn't help but laugh, “I think you mean spill, not spit, but anyway there really isn't anything to talk about. I'm just feeling out of sorts is all.”


“Tim mentioned being pushed out of the bed by Bert.” Ziva said. “That does not seem like nothing to me.”

“I did not kick him out of bed, I just told him I would rather cuddle Bert than him.” Abby huffed. “I swear men throw everything out of proportion.


Ziva wasn't sure what McGee was throwing out of proportion because she could actually understand why he would be upset. If she was dating and living with a man she wouldn't like him to say he would rather sleep with a stuffed animal instead of her. But then again she knew for a fact she wouldn't be dating a man who had stuffed animals anyway, it would totally kill her assassin persona. “Would you rather Tim masturbate next to you in bed while you are ready and waiting for him?”


This caught Abby totally off guard, “What?” she asked her eyes wide. “Of course not!”


“That is like what you are doing with Tim. It might not be sexual but you are telling him you would rather cuddle with a stuffed hippopotamus then cuddle with him.” Ziva pointed out. “You are lucky you have a boyfriend who likes to cuddle and take advantage of it.”


Abby sighed and took in everything Ziva was saying. She knew her friend had a point but the thing was she wasn't able to make a clear case because Abby wasn't telling her the whole story.


“It hurts when he cuddles me,” Abby whispered.


It was Ziva's turn to be caught off guard. “Excuse me?”


Abby got off the stool and started pacing the lab. “My whole body has been sore the last few weeks, especially my chest. When he hugs me or cuddles me it hurts too much. I made up the Bert story so he wouldn't keep trying.”


Ziva was getting concerned now. “Have you seen a doctor?”


Abby shook her head, her pig tails flapping. “I don't think it's really anything to worry about, at least not doctor worthy. I'm probably just PMSing really bad or something.”


“Abby you aren't do for all that for another three weeks.” Ziva pointed out. She knew her friend's cycle because they were very close to the same. It had been a joke with the whole team that half the team was one week and the other half was the next. Ziva shared with Abby and Gibbs while Tony, McGee and Palmer, when he wasn't pregnant, was the week after.


“I know,” Abby said but then quickly stopped her pacing and with a loud scream that could have woken the dead she ran into her office and locked the door.


::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


Gibbs had been heading down to Abby's lab after using the bathroom and talking with the Director when he heard a loud scream. He quickly pulled his gun and ran the rest of the way to the lab. What he found there wasn't what he was expecting.


“Ziva what's going on?” Gibbs asked the other woman who was banging on the glass sliding doors that led to Abby's office area.


“Abby freaked out. She started screaming and ran in here and locked herself in.” Ziva explained sounding rather panicked herself.


Gibbs, who figured he would never understand women, walked to the doors where he saw Abby literally banging her head on her desk. “Abbs come on let me in so we can talk.” he said in the soothing voice he left for talking with Abby.


Abby mumbled something before she started banging her head again, this time even harder.


“What in the world were you girls talking about?” Gibbs exclaimed to Ziva. The last he had seen of the woman she had been in the squad room where Tony was having a bad case of diarrhea of the mouth and spewing off absurd and ridiculous things.


Ziva tried to remember exactly what they were talking about before Abby freaked out. “Well we were talking about her not wanting to cuddle with Tim because it physically hurt her. Then she mentioned that maybe she was just PMSing.”


Gibbs nodded his head, “Which wouldn't be the case because that would have been three weeks ago.”


“Exactly!” Ziva said with a nod.


“So what part of that would have freaked Abby out,” Gibbs thought out loud and then it hit him. “Oh shit...” he said before banging on Abby's door again. “Abbs come on open up so I can talk to you. I know what's going on.”


Abby stopped banging her head and slowly got up from her desk so she could push the button that would open the door. “You do?” she asked in a small yet gruff voice from crying.


Gibbs nodded his head as he gently pulled her in for a hug. “I think you better talk to Tim and then go see Ducky.”


“I can't, he's going to freak out on me.” Abby cried as she rested her head on Gibbs' shoulder.


It took Ziva a second to figure out what was going on but after putting the pieces together it made sense, Abby thought she was pregnant.
Chapter End Notes:
HEY EVERYBODY! I JUST WANTED TO THANK ALL OF YOU THAT HAVE SENT FEEDBACK! I ENJOY HEARING WHATEVERYBODY HAS TO SAY! THIS CHAPTER HAS A BIT OF EVERYTHING IN IT, BUT I FEEL HAS QUIT A BIT OF HUMOR AND BRINGS OUT A BIT MORE OF THE CHARACTER'S LIVES AS THEY ARE SHOWN IN THE STORY.

AGAIN I WANT TO POINT OUT THAT IT IS COMPLETELY NORMAL FOR BOTH MEN AND WOMEN TO BARE CHILDREN IN THIS ODD LITTLE WORLD I HAVE MADE UP. SO WITH THAT IN MIND ALL THE MEN (UNDER THE AGE OF 65) IN THE NORMAL NCIS UNIVERSE HAVE THE SAME CYCLES AND THINGS THAT A WOMEN NEEDS TO HAVE IN ORDER TO GET PREGNANT.


THANKS!!!

STEPHANIE