- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Very special thanks to the amazing sucuri and ihugtreesforfun for the wonderful beta, even though it was pretty last minute. You guys rock! If you find any more mistakes feel free to keep them ;-) Also, I don’t own the characters of NCIS or Dogma, nor do I own any ideas taken from God’s Army (whatever part it was), nor do I make any money with this, pity, actually. Furthermore, I don't believe any of this. This is not supposed to actually mean anything, it's just entertainment! I wrote this for the ncis bigbang a while back and finally got around to post here. Please comment, authors live for feedback
Author's Chapter Notes:
When God needs help Tony gets charged with a fight that will not only change his life

Prologue



Long Island �" 1972 - June 23


2:46 am


Sophia DiNozzo sat, the rosary clutched in one hand, in the living room of her son’s house muttering prayers. Ilena, her daughter-in-law, had been in labour for the past seven hours. Sophia was waiting impatiently. Her older son, Franko, had brought her home to rest a bit but she couldn’t even sit for very long, let alone sleep.

She noticed a presense and opened her eyes. Slowly she followed the lean body up until she looked into the calm face of a tall, dark-haired man. She swallowed hard but didn’t say anything. He smiled slightly and knelt down so they were on the same eye level.

"Sophia," the man said. His voice was soft and Sophia felt as if he was stroking her cheek tenderly only by saying her name.

"Metatron," Sophia answered, and he smiled softly. She looked down at the rosary and put it on the coffee table.

"Praying didn’t help then, I suppose?“ Sophia asked resigned.

Again he smiled and tilted his head slightly. "Maybe you have been praying for the wrong thing," Metatron suggested lightly. "Your grandson is chosen to be special; extraordinary, and more than that. He will be in one line with Noah and Moses, and probably above them. And you have to prepare him for that.“

Tears swelled in her eyes as she looked pleadingly at the man "Why him? Why does he have to bear such a burden?“

The smile vanished from Metatron’s face, and left him looking tired and drawn. "It wasn’t my decision and I’m certainly not in the position to question His decisions. Teach him everything you know and we will help him as much as we can. He'll need all the help he can get, because you lot don't make it easy on a chosen one"

The angel smiled one last time at her. She awoke suddenly, opening her eyes and finding herself lying on the couch, feeling as if she had slept for hours. It was refereshing and for the first time in a while she felt comforted. The phone was ringing but she had to take a moment before she realized what it was.

"DiNozzo mansion, this is Sophia DiNozzo speaking," she answered, the sleep's haze clearing quickly.

"Mom, it’s me, Franko," the voice on the other end said, fast and loud with excitement. She held her breath as she expected the news. "It’s a boy. Anthony Daniel. I’m coming to pick you up in a few minutes.“







Long Island �" 1980



"Ok, what is the difference between an aura and an atmosphere?“ Sophia asked, and raised her eyebrow as Tony tilted his head from left to right and back.

"An aura is what one person has and an atmosphere is about a group of people?“ Tony said, guessing.

She shook her head softly, and answered. "It’s much more than that. The aura of a person tells you traits of character. An atmosphere tells you something about the interpersonal relationship. What color has my aura?“

Tony squeezed his eyes a little and Sophia stifled a laugh at her grandson’s face, pursed lips and scrunched nose as he squinted at her. "It’s...purple...with pink...and gold," Tony said, his expression clearing.

"Okay, and what does it mean?“ Sophia asked, and quickly schooled her expression so that Tony wasn't aware she almost laughed and ruined his concentration.

Tony sighed and tilted his head again. "The gold means...the good and ideal, and elegance. The pink is tenderness, softness...it stands for the feminine and for sensitivity. And the purple...“ Tony bit his lip, chewing slightly and then grinned. "Religiousness and faith...and magic and fantasy...pretty good, huh?“

His grandmother smiled indulgently. "Almost, but you forgot security when listing traits for pink.“

"Darn...Nonna? Can we call it a day?“ Tony asked, worn from his quiz and his intense concentration.

"Yeah, honey, go and play in your room," Sophia said. He ran out of the living room and she sat back on the sofa. She knew that he was really good for his age to see people’s aura and interpreting them, but still she was worried that he wasn’t prepared well enough for what was lying ahead of him. She could see his shiny green aura even through the wall and was bound by it. She had never seen a pure aura before, it was something very rare, something to be proud of, but if she could chose, she wished he had a impure soul. His life would be so much easier.



Peoria �" 1995-April 16




Tony sighed deeply as he sank into his couch. He had finally made it through Police Academy and now he was a cop, and had just finished the worst week of his life. It was eight am and he finally could go home from his last night on third shift. Originally he had asked to get three days off so he could go to Long Island and visit his Nonna on her birthday, but he was a newbie and since several higher ranking officers had asked aswell he had gotten the night shift. However he knew that she would be up by now so he reached for his phone, but he stopped as it rang before he could touch it. Frowning slightly he wondered if he should pick it up. Maybe it was work, calling to have him come back in and cover another shift. He could avoid it, but they'd just try his home line. He definitely had a bad feeling. Coming to the decision that he couldn’t flee his fate, he grabbed the phone.

"DiNozzo speaking," Tony answered.
"Tony, it’s me...“ His mother's voice answered.

"Mom? What going on?“ He could hear the tears in her voice and he knew that it would be definitely something he didn’t want to hear. He swallowed hard as the silence stretched.

"Tony, Nonna’s dead," his mother said. He opened his mouth but couldn’t say anything. His throat became dry and his chest seemed too heavy to breathe.

"What?“ Tony asked, when his throat finally seemed to work again.

"Sophia died last night. We found her this morning when we wanted to take her out for breakfast. Are you okay, honey?“ His mother asked, her concern palpable even through the phone line.

He rubbed over his eyes and took a shaky breath. "Yeah, sure...is there anything I can do?“

"No, we will arrange everything after her will. I will call you when we know when the funeral will be. Be good, babe," his mother said, forcing strength into her voice that Tony knew was faked for him.

"Okay, Mum...I love you," Tony promised.

"Love you, too.“

He hung up and sat back. It was just then that he noticed the tall, dark-haired man standing beside the couch. Jumping up, he reached for his gun but found the holster empty.

"You won’t need that, Anthony. I mean no harm.“

"Who the hell are you and what the hell are you doing in my apartment?“ Tony kept his voice down, unsure of how the man unarmed him, but somehow sure that the stranger had.

The man looked around and then obviously decided that the couch was the best option. "I’m sorry about your grandmother," he said upon sitting.

Tony stared at him for a long moment with his mouth hanging open. He had just gotten the call, how could this stranger know about it? Not only that, he sounded genuinely sorry, not like someone who’s just giving condolences, but someone who had lost as well.

"Who are you?“ Tony asked again, this time not only in anger, but curiosity as well.

"I? I am Metatron," the man said.

"What?“ Tony exclaimed, and gave the man an once-over.

"Metatron is...“ he started to speak.

Tony cut him off. "I know what Metatron is. Metatron is the voice of God. He speaks for Him because humans can’t hear Him. If they did their hearts would burst in their chest and their head would explode. The thing is," Tony trailed off. "I never imagine Metatron...like this.“ Tony finished, staring at the person next to him.

Metatron was obviously shocked that Tony knew who he was, and when he recovered the young man's knowledge brought a smile to his face. "How did you imagine me?“

"Well. More...like an angel, I mean with wings and all that," Tony said, and continued to stare openly.

The man chuckled and stood up. A moment later big white wings spread behind his back, accompanied with the sounds of ripping, even though the angel showed no signs of discomfort. "They’re not exactly handy so I put them away when I’m down here. Is that enough proof?“ Metatron asked, and Tony thought he seemed quite used to having to offer proof of his existence.

Tony nodded hesitantly and Metatron let his wings disappear again. He sat back on the couch and motioned Tony to the recliner next to it. "Why are you here?“ Tony asked, no longer distrustful but no less confused. He expected to wake up in a moment and find that this was all a dream. Maybe he was just hoping that.

"I am here because we need your help," Metatron stated.

"When you say 'we' you mean...God?“ Tony asked with open increduality.

Metatron nodded and leaned forward in his seat. "Why do you think your grandmother took so much care to teach you all the things she knew? When she said that you’re special it wasn’t just the pride of a grandmother. You are special, Anthony. You are chosen to do great things.“

"Wha...I, what makes me so special?“ Tony couldn’t get his mind around that. All he wanted to do was to go to bed, shut the curtains and mourn for his Nonna but here sat an angel, the voice of God, who told him that God needed his help.

"You’re a pure soul.“ The angel answered confidently, but Tony snorted.

"Believe me, I’m not that pure anymore.“

"Aw, no one’s talking about sex or those other earthly sins. Your grandmother taught you about auras, didn’t she?“

Tony frowned and sat back. "Yeah...?“

"How many people have you met who have an aura of just one color? Most people don’t have pure souls. And pure has nothing to do with the way they live their life, just to be clear. Even though your soul is pretty clean, compared to some I've seen."

Tony sighed and looked at Metatron for a long moment. "It’s no coincidence that you show you up just when she died, is it?“ Tony asked, finally. The angel shook his head. Tony took a deep breath and looked around for something to say. "What do I have to do?“

"First of all, you have to find people who can help you,“ Metatron said, but Tony shook his head.

"How should I know who can help me if I don’t know what I have to do?" Tony asked, frustrated.

"Find pure souls. Be their friend, and when the time is right I will let you know. Until then...“ Metatron made to stand but Tony grabbed his arm.

"Wait, wait...umm. Can you...could you tell my grandmother something?“ Tony was hopeful when the angel raised an eyebrow. "Tell her I owe her.“

"I’ll deliver that," the angel said, and then it was as if he were never there.





Baltimore �" 2001 June 17



His head was still throbbing a little. Maybe he shouldn’t have partied so long. And of course with his luck, the first thing that came up in the morning was a dead sailor, thank you very much. When he had looked at the calender this morning he knew it was time to move on. He was still trying to find the people Metatron had been talking about. If he hadn’t been at the funeral of his grandmother a few days after the meeting he wouldn’t have believed it.

Tony gave the sailor a sad look. Even now that he was dead his aura was still glimmering slightly in the shadowy alley. The warm brown which was turning into yellow at the edges let Tony know that he had been a good man.

He raised his head. A warm feeling spread in him and he turned to find the source. And then he saw it. He didn’t trust his eyes as he saw the most beautiful aura he had ever seen approach the crime scene. He was that bound by the spiritual gleam that he didn’t even notice the person it belonged to. It looked like the bluest water you could imagine and, what Tony fancied the most, it glittered like the ocean in the sun. Before he knew what had happened, Tony knew that he was in love.

"DINOZZO!“

Tony blinked several times before he could shut out the aura he had fallen head over heels for and focused on his partner. He expected Larry be standing next to a beautiful woman, or knowing his luck a gorgeous man, but next to his partner stood a man in his early forties with graying hair. Whereas he was definitely attractive, Tony wouldn't have given the man more than a second look without that stunning aura.

Pushing those thoughts aside, Tony tried to stay focused. He was at work. He walked over to his partner and their company, but was fascinated that the man’s eyes were just as beautiful as his aura upon reaching them.

"DiNozzo, that’s Gibbs, NCIS. He says they wanna take over the case.“

"Uh huh," Tony murmured. He was still staring into tose amazing eyes and it wasn’t before Gibbs broke eye contact to look at Larry that Tony realized what his partner had said. "Take over the case? No way!“

"It lives!" Gibbs muttered and Tony saw amusement light up the eyes (something Tony wanted to see all the time), though the rest of the other man’s face remained neutral. "The victim is a naval officer. And we are Naval Criminal Investigative Service. It’s our case, sport.“

"Don’t call me sport. And it isn’t as easy as that, sir," Tony said, somehow sure it would get a rise out of Gibbs.

Although Gibbs‘ eyes narrowed in annoyance, Tony could feel that he had just gained the other man’s respect, something that didn’t seem to be easy.



Two days later �" Tony’s apartment



Tony sighed heavily as he fell onto his couch. In the end he had managed to stay focused long enough to get a joined investigation, but that turned out to be a really bad idea. The first few hours Tony had been totally absorbed by Gibbs‘ aura and barely managed to get anything done. And even after that the older man’s aura was that strong that it pushed itself into Tony’s vision all the time, whereas usually, he has to concentrate to see them.

"How was your day?“

Tony snorted at the question and opened one eye to glance at Metatron, who sat in the recliner next to the couch. "I think you know damn well how my day was.“

The angel chuckled and although Tony didn’t want it to, it did lift his mood a little.

"I don’t understand why you are in such a bad mood."

"Why I’m bad mooded? Well, where to start? Gibbs is an egotistic, stoic, stubborn bastard. He‘s grumpy, caffaine-addicted and always yelling or snapping.“ There was a long silence so Tony opened his eyes and saw that Metatron was smiling slightly. "What?“

"Why are you really agitated?“ Metatron asked.

Tony sighed and tilted his head back to stare at the ceiling. "'cause, Gibbs is...I made a complete idiot out of myself. I mean...I think I stumbled more in these past two days than I have my entire life. And I couldn’t stay focused when he was around...and the worst? He’s going back to Washington right about now and the chances that I’ll see him again are...“

He was interrupted by the door bell. He wanted to glance at the angel, but he was already gone. Sighing, Tony stood and went into the hall but stopped frozen as he saw the blue glittering aura he almost craved. A knock followed because he stood for too long in the hall and he quickly opened the door, trying to look surprised.

"Gibbs?“

"Can I come in?“ The man asked.

Tony nodded and stepped aside. He used the short moment Gibbs had his back to him to check out things he hadn’t had the mind for in the last days. Suppressing an impressed whistle at the view, Tony followed Gibbs into the living room.

"What can I do for you?“

"A lot of things come to mind," Gibbs muttered before he turned around and fixated Tony with his steel blue eyes. "You could quit and join my team at NCIS.“

Tony’s jaw dropped and it took him several missed heartbeats before he could close it again. "You want me on your team?“

"As far fetched as it might sound, yeah. You’re underestimated here, they don’t ask enough from you...you do know that I will ask a lot from you?“

Tony nodded and swallowed. He saw how the atmosphere between them, which had been quite neutral all the time now started to become red, and the longer they stood like this the red became stronger. As the tension between them reached a point Tony didn’t think he could stay in control any longer, Gibbs looked around the living room and broke the moment, but still Tony could see the red.

"Well, I guess you’ll need a few days to get everything packed, and then you could start on Monday. 8 am, sharp," Gibbs said, looking back to Tony.

"But...I’ll need an apartment. How am I supposed to find one in three days?“

Gibbs shrugged and was already halfway to the door. "If you don’t find one you can stay at my place until you do. Here’s my office's card. Call me if anything comes up.“ He put the card on the table and Tony couldn’t help the feeling that he was leaving in a hurry. Not that he cared. Gibbs had offered him a job on his team, which meant that he would see him nearly every day. A smile spread over his face and he sighed contently.





Washington D.C. �" 2009 April 16th



Tony sat in his dark living room and sipped his drink. The whiskey burned its way down his throat and he relished the warmth it left in his stomach. He felt cold, empty, lonely. It had been one of these awful days when he realized just how much he was missing.

In the past years this day had gained much meaning for him. It was the day of Lost Ones; first his grandmother, then his mother, Kate, and finally Jenny. He knew it was no coincidence that they all had died on the very same day, even if Metatron told him differently. Maybe it wasn’t God’s plan, but then, if everything was going after God’s plan he wouldn’t get regular visits from the angel.

He closed his eyes and let his head drop onto the back of the couch. Their last case had been terrible. The usually golden atmosphere in the bullpen had been darkened and the auras of his friends were weary. He couldn’t stay any longer in that room because it hurt him to see them like that. Even Gibbs‘ aura had lost its glitter. It reminded him too much on what had happened exactly three year ago.

Gibbs had walked into the bullpen and the red atmosphere between him and Tony had been completely one sided. It had broken Tony’s heart to see the man like that, the man he loved so much. The man who loved him so much.

"Why didn’t you simply ask Gibbs for a beer tonight? I don’t think he would have said no.“ Tony sighed and opened one eye at Metatron who now sat on the recliner next to the couch.

"Didn’t we have this conversation before?“

"Yes, yes, we did." Metatron agreed. "And I still don’t get why you're not acting on the feelings you have.“

Tony shook his head and then sat up in a sudden wave of anger. "You know what I don’t get? That a fucking angel is sitting on my couch, an angel who’s drinking alcohol and spitting it out because he’s not allowed to, an angel who’s cursing and using the name of the Lord in vain, an angel who is pushing me to act on my homosexual feelings for my boss! I thought homosexuality was a sin!“

"I never said that, God never said that. It’s one of the things the catholic church said. Apart from that, if homosexuality were a sin, none of the higher roman society would be in heaven. Could we return to the issue at hand?“

Tony sank back and sighed deeply. "You have no idea about human beings, do you? Humans don’t always take what they want. Too many things stand against it. Although he loves me he never took a chance on me.“

"Why not?“ Metatron shifted on his seat and made himself comfortable. Tony raised his hand and started to count.

"First, I’m male. Second, he probably thinks I’m the most annoying person and he doesn’t even know why he’s in love with me. Third, he’s my boss. Fourth, he has no idea about my feelings. Fifth, he still mourns for his wife and daughter. And, he’s totally screwed after three failed marriages and I don’t wanna know how many lovers. See? Many good reasons to say no.“

Tony looked at the angel when he heard a snort. "Reasons, yes, obstacles...“

"Metatron, is there any reason you’re gracing me with your presence? I had a shitty day and that you turn up indicates that it will be even shittier.“

"I did come for a reason. You finally have found your allies.“

"Allies? Are you kidding?“

Metatron sighed and sat up. "Anthony, the time has come. Lucifer has left hell and recruited his servants. You have to fight them.“

Within a millisecond Tony was on his feet and stared at Metatron. "WHAT? THAT’S MY MISSION? I have to fight Lucifer’s servants? How the hell should I do that?“

"Calm down. They’re humans, like you. Well, not all like you, but they're humans.“

Tony paced the room up and down. "I can’t believe it! No! No fucking way! Fighting them? How could I fight them? Should I walk around and shot them? Great, they’re humans! And then I’ll sit in that fucking cell again and I won’t sleep because of all those damn auras of murderers and rapists!“

"That will be taken care of. And you will get help, apart from your allies.“

Tony couldn’t stand still anymore. "Help? With what? How am I supposed to find his servants? I mean, there are a lot of bad people out there.“

"Yes, there are. But those people have pure souls aswell. They’re the counterparts of each of your friends.“

"Counterparts?“ Tony’s voice was shrill but he didn’t care. It was all right that Metatron saw that he was furious.

"Their auras have the same color, but the evil, twisted version.“

"The evil twin?“

"So to say, but different. You learned to see auras. You’ll be able to see through them, your allies won’t," Metatron said.

Tony was still in motion but his pace slowed down a bit.

"I do have a question about that. All my life I haven’t meet anybody with a pure soul, and then...it can’t be a coincidence that all members of this team are pure souls, can it?"

"It isn’t.“ Metatron stood and went to the cupboard with the alcohol. He went back to the couch with two glasses, a picture Tony was used to by now.

"Gibbs...he’s a very sensible person. Although he has no idea about auras and all that he instinctively picked them out. It’s no surprise, really. All pure souls are looking for other pure souls. And to me it was no surprise that he fell in love with you. Your aura is the same color as Kelly’s.“

Speechless, Tony sank onto the coffee table, too stunned to make it to a seat. He stared at his DVD collection without seeing it.

"How can I ask them to fight against people without giving them a reason? I mean, a reason they wouldn't send me to a loony bin?" Tony asked, but his voice was calm and resigned. Metatron knew Tony would do his task.

"You will find a way.“ The doorbell rang and Tony expected Metatron to be gone, as usual, but he wasn’t. "Huh, she’s early.“

"She? Who?“ Tony asked, and frowned at the angel.

"Well, open the door and take a look," Metatron said, as if the idea was obvious.

Tony went into the hall and stared at the door. The auras in front weren’t pure but definitely friendly and beautiful. With a deep breath he opened the door.

"Jesus Christ, that’s some weather, huh?" When Tony just stared, the woman in the doorway said, "if you'll move just a little?“

Dumbstruck, Tony stepped aside to let her in. She pushed the baby carrier in front of her and then checked out the apartment.

"What?...oh. Metatron didn’t tell you about me, right?“ He shook his head with a raised eyebrow. She smiled widely and extented her hand. "Bethany. I was the last Scion. Well, now...“ She looked into the carrier and Tony followed her look. The baby‘s aura was stronger than anything Tony had seen in children before. "Actually, he’s the son of god...anyway, is Metatron here?“

"Living room.“ Tony said tonelessly and pointed at the door. Bewildered, he followed her as she led the way.

"Ah, yeah, Bethany. And the little Theo. How was the journey?“

"Worse than my trip to New Jersey...well, not that bad.“

They laughed at the inside joke before Metatron remembered that Tony was still present. "Oh, right. Well, I guess Bethany introduced herself and her son. If there aren’t anymore questions, I’ll leave you three alone.“ Tony opened his mouth but Metatron was faster. "Didn’t think so. Alright. Have a good night, then.“ And with that he vanished. Tony let out an annoyed sigh.

"He always does that.“ Bethany grinned as she sat on the couch.

"So, you are the one who can help me?“ Tony asked as the young woman didn’t seem to say anything.

"Well, I’m one of the people. And I already told you why. We’re expecting two other people about...“ The door bell rang again, "...now.“

Shaking his head Tony went to open his door again. In front of him stood two guys; one tall with long blond hair, and the other smaller but rounder, with long dark hair and a beard. "Ok, and who are you?“

"I’m Jay, and that’s my hetero life partner Silent Bob.“ The taller of the two answered and pushed past Tony into the apartment.

"Silent Bob?“ Tony asked.

"Well, he’s not talkative, right? Fuck, this is a nice place.“

"Uh, thanks. Bethany is already in the living room...“

"Oh, the chick’s here...“ Jay nodded to himself, and Tony thought he could smell marijuana on them as they walked past him. Tony entered a moment later and saw a hearty welcoming.

"And how can you two help me?“ Tony felt compelled to ask.

"They are prophets.“ Bethany answered, and Tony gave them both a once over.

"Seriously?“ He chuckled. Bob looked offended but didn’t say anything. Jay, on the other hand, started to babble. Something about two angels and a church in Jersey. Names and incidents were thrown at Tony, but he didn’t really care.

"All right, I get it.“ He lied just so Jay would stop. Bob raised a cigarette to ask Tony for permission and Tony waved his okay. Usually he hated it if anybody smoked in his apartment, but right now he couldn’t possibly care any less. But then he smelled exactly what Bob was smoking there. "Fuck! Are you mad? I’m a fucking federal agent! They can fire me for that. Jesus, they can bust me for that! And my boss would kill me for that!“

"Your boss. Is that Gibbs?“ Forgetting completely about the dope Tony turned to Bethany as she spoke.

"Metatron told you about him?“

"He told me about all your colleagues...but he told me about Gibbs in particular.“

Tony sighed deeply and sat on the recliner. "So...the great help Metatron offered me is the not-quite-last Scion and two pot-heads.“

*************************************************************************


After Tony had finally managed to get Jay and Silent Bob to sleep on the couch, and Bethany had taken his bed, Tony sat in the guest room on the single bed and stared at the opposite wall. He didn’t know how much he was able to take anymore and if he was asked this was the limit. Only the thought of killing in the name of God sounded crazy. It was one thing for him, he didn’t only have faith, he knew that God existed, had met an angel and learned everything from his grandmother. But then there were his colleagues. He knew that Ziva was quite religious, but he knew that there was a difference between being religious and having faith like he did. McGee didn’t seem to go to any church, neither he seemed like the type for praying. He was too logical. Abby was an even bigger mystery. Whereas her appearance didn’t let on that she could believe in God, she did bowl with nuns. Ducky fell into the same category as McGee.

And then, there was Gibbs. During the last seven years Tony had tried to figure out what Gibbs thought about religion. Most of the time Gibbs seemed to be an atheist. "I don’t believe in coincidence“ was just as good as "I don’t believe it’s all God’s plan.“ But then he does something like lightening candles for the dead. However, even if Gibbs believed in God, Tony couldn’t think the older man would believe him if Tony told him that he was charged with a holy fight. Christ, that sounded even stupid to him.

He glanced at the alarm on the night stand. It was already past midnight, so the cursed day (as Tony used to call it) passed without any losses, at least for him. Metatron’s words were too vivid in his mind to actually find any sleep, so he didn’t even try. Pure souls. The only pure souls Tony had met in the last years were his friends, but then, he wasn’t checking everybody’s aura all the time. Apart from Gibbs‘ aura Tony had to concentrate hard and that often made him spaced out, so he only did it in calm moments. He had done it with Sacks, and Fornell, otherwise he usually only checked those he wasn‘t sure if they were friends or enemy. Fortunately it was quite easy to find out in his job, at least mostly. Looking back Tony thought he probably should have used his ability more often. Probably he wouldn’t have kissed Amanda/Voss, maybe he wouldn’t have had to kill Jeffery White. And maybe he would already know who the counterparts of his friends were.

He really didn’t know how he should find them. He couldn’t think that Lucifer would be stupid enough to only choose people who are obviously bad. It would be too easy. As far as he knew, every soul had both parts in it. Good as well as bad qualities were expressed in the color and it was a matter of environment, childhood and to some extent, personal choice for which side would win. He had to think of all those philosophers, some said humans are good by nature, others said humans are bad by nature, homo homini lupus. Tony thought that humans were neutral by nature. So, maybe he had met those people, maybe they even had been friendly. Maybe Lucifer had recruited them after he had met him.

He glared at the ceiling and growled dangerously.

"Don’t be too clear! I might know what to look for!“ Tony said sardonically. Sighing, exasperated as the ceiling didn’t respond, Tony pushed himself off the bed and put up his laptop. He rubbed over his aching forehead and frowned, waiting impatiently. He couldn’t remember any time the computer needed so much time to power up. Finally, after an annoyingly long time he could open the internet and his instant messenger. Not surprised he saw that Abby and McGee were online but decided against writing them. But then he noticed a name he had never seen before. Well, not true, he had seen it a lot in the last years but never on msn. LJGibbs.

Although he had only read Gibbs' name, Tony’s heart warmed up and everything seemed less bad. Hoping that this feeling would become stronger he douple clicked on the name and a window popped open.

Stud72: Did you really manage to open the messenger or was it a accident

Tony watched the curser blink as he waited for an answer. It took at least two minutes before he could see at the bottom of the window that Gibbs was writing his reply.

LJGibbs: Who the hell is this?
Stud72: Your stalker...just kidding, it’s me, boss, Tony.


Again a minute pass before there was anything.

LJGibbs: Why are you still awake? Or better, what are you doing on your computer?
Stud72: I’m researching something. What are you doing?
LJGibbs: Checking some cold case files. You remember...


Before Tony had realised it, it was after three am. He and Gibbs had talked all night, forgetting about time, and soon, even about the cold cases. The conversation had become more light-hearted as any real-life conversation has ever been, except this one time when Tony stayed at Gibbs‘ place. Tony had wandered through the house and ended up watching Gibbs working on his boat. Although it was difficult with such an exciting sight, or maybe because of it, Tony found himself talking and talking and after some time, Gibbs had actually joined in and, what shocked Tony the most, he had opened up a bit.

Of course that night back then had ended in a disaster. Gibbs had made an inapprobriate comment about spiritual things, Tony had said things about the boat, and they had parted and kept apart for three days in complete and icy silence. However, this night, probably because the attraction between them was dimmed by the cold technology between them, or rather connecting them, had ended well, and only because Tony had fallen asleep on his computer and send a message of weird letters to Gibbs. He had woken at the ping of the messenger and told the older man that they’d better get a little sleep.

But now Tony lay all awake again. The talk had done exactly what he had hoped for. It had distracted him from his task and for a few blissful hours he had forgotten about the three people and the baby occupying his apartment. But now his mind was right back on topic. His original plan to look for some hints in old notes he kept on a secured hard drive had been the victim of his oblivion towards everything but Gibbs once he had seen the name on his screen.

A crash, that seemed to come from his balcony, made him jump off the bed and he was hit by a dizzy spell. After a moment he had focused and grabbed his gun from the night stand. Then he heard talking in the living room and went to check it out. And there, among Jay and Silent Bob, stood a tall black man, stark naked. Not sure if he should raise his gun or not Tony followed the interaction of the three men for a moment. Finally the black man noticed him and smiled a bright white-teeth smile.

"Hi! I’m Rufus!“

"You’re naked.“ Tony said, dumbstruck.

"Yeah, that, too. You don’t have any cloths for me, do you?“

Before Tony could react to that request Bethany entered from the bedroom with cloths and underwear. After Rufus had dressed she hugged him tightly.

"Excuse me!“ Tony said, because he was once more ignored. "I think I’m holding up pretty well with people I don’t know showing up at my door. But people entering through my balcony door naked I do have a problem with!“

"Like I said, I’m Rufus. The thirteenth apostel.“

Tony opened his mouth and closed it again.

"He’s been left out of the bible because he’s black.“ Bethany said but it didn’t even come close to the answer Tony wanted.

"So...Metatron send you, too?“

"Not exactly. I thought, since Bethany couldn’t help me with my campaign, maybe you can. Cause the biggest error in your 'book of all books' is that Jesus Christ was, indeed, a black dude. I want that to be sorted out.“

Tony chuckled. "So, you’re saying that you’ll help me if I help you to change the bible? You’re kidding, right? I have trouble telling my friends what’s going on! How should I tell the world that the bible is wrong? And don’t you think that it’s really not important if Jesus was black or white?“

"It wouldn’t be. If nobody cared about skin colour. The world is bigotted, Anthony. And that’s why you have to fight. Because there are always people who think only their way to live is good. You should know that. Better than anybody else in this room, except me.“

Tony smile died away. The other three frowned at the remembered pain that shot over Tony’s face.

"You know about that?“

Rufus sighed and nodded. "Yes, I saw him fall. I’ve seen you cry into Metatron’s shoulder and I saw you raise your head and go on. Anthony, you’re not starting to fight just now, you’ve been fighting your whole life. Maybe you’re not seeing it as this, but you’ve been blessed, Tony. You’ve been blessed with the meaning of your life.“

Tony shook his head and made towards the door. But then he turned again, looking at Rufus with tears in his eyes.

"I do believe in this. I mean...I considered myself lucky to know all that. To have Metatron by my side when I really need him. But right now, no matter how many prophets, scions or apostel he’s sending me, I feel terribly alone. Because...I don’t know why I know it, but I’ll be alone in the end. No matter if I have allies and supporters, no matter how loyal they are to me, in the end I’ll face it alone. Because you know what I realised? Metatron said we have to fight the counterparts of my friends. But my aura’s green...and there’s no counterpart to hope.“

With that he turned and left the others alone. Bethany opened her mouth to say something but Rufus was faster.

"He’s right. There’s no dark soul of green. Blue, yellow, all colors there are counterparts, except green. I’ve been wondering the same thing since I heard about the fight. But Metatron wouldn’t answer me. He just says something like, His humor, or, exceptions make the rules. Quite annoying if you ask me.“

"So, Tony’s their leader, or what?“ Bethany asked with a frown.

"You of all people should know how cryptic Metatron can be. He doesn’t really say how they have to fight them, nor he says what role Tony will play. But I guess Tony’s right, he’ll face it, whatever it will be, alone.“
Chapter End Notes:
Very special thanks to the amazing sucuri and ihugtreesforfun for the wonderful beta, even though it was pretty last minute. You guys rock! If you find any more mistakes feel free to keep them ;-)

Also, I don’t own the characters of NCIS or Dogma, nor do I own any ideas taken from God’s Army (whatever part it was), nor do I make any money with this, pity, actually.
Furthermore, I don't believe any of this. This is not supposed to actually mean anything, it's just entertainment!
I wrote this for the ncis bigbang a while back and finally got around to post here.
Please comment, authors live for feedback

I made a trailer for the fic. Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc97XN4Pfyc