- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs makes good on his threat to retire. He sets sail and heads for Houston...but not quite right away.
True to his word, Gibbs had taken care of his retirement paperwork and it was submitted the day after Shepard’s funeral. Gibbs couldn’t help but finding it amusing how much his decision to leave had in common with Tony’s departure several months ago. If Shepard had given Tony the time he’d asked for, he’d have stayed; If Vance had left his team intact or even given him some hope of putting them back together, Gibbs would have stayed. As it was, both of them had considered leaving before speaking with either Director; it was that last conversation that was the final straw for both of them.

When Gibbs turned in the paperwork, Vance had baulked at accepting it. Gibbs didn’t care if he took it or not. He’d already given a copy to the Personnel Department and the SecNav. He wasn’t making the same mistake he made with Shepard and assuming all the paperwork was taken care of just by turning it into the Director. Vance signing off on his retirement was little more than a formality. Personnel were the ones who made sure things like that got taken care of. He had more than twenty years in counting his active duty time in the Corps, and he exceeded the minimum age requirement to retire by a few years---no one is Personnel was going to bat an eye at his request.

Gibbs had enough sick leave and vacation time on the books that he didn’t have to actually be in the office to give Personnel the two months they needed to process everything correctly. Apparently retiring properly took time. He came in to the office two days a week simply to make sure all the I’s were dotted and T’s crossed on each and every single case he’d worked on. Nothing would be left undone. There would be no calling him back this time.

Gibbs made sure his bi-weekly checks would continue to be direct deposited and could be accessed easily enough from wherever he ultimately ended up. His health benefits could be handled through the VA and he could access them at any veteran’s hospital. He had a copy of his medical records to take with him. And the few investments he’d made over the years were handled by a broker he trusted would provide him with additional money to see him through his ‘golden years’.

He still wasn’t entirely sure what he was going to do with himself in the long run, and it didn’t really worry him. The short term had been ironed out; it was enough for the time being. He would finish the boat, and he’d sail it to the Gulf. He’d spend some time with Tony, like they’d planned to do before everything went to shit. After that he’d go see how Mike Franks was settling in. His old boss had gone back to Mexico and was healing from his injuries. It wouldn’t hurt to check up on him and make sure he was doing okay.

Abby turned in her two week notice a week after Gibbs filed for retirement. She accepted a position with a company that had a home base in New Orleans. They specialized in providing forensic expertise to law enforcement departments and agencies that could not process evidence on their own, either due to the sheer volume or the expense of maintaining an adequate laboratory facility.

Abby had been very excited about her new position. Not only could she continue to help put criminals behind bars, she would be closer to her biological family. She’d also be a lot closer to Tony, something that had her bouncing excitedly on her toes as she told Gibbs all about her plans to have him come for Mardi Gras next year and her plans to visit him for the Fourth of July.

She’d also made plans for when Gibbs would come to visit her. It was apparently a foregone conclusion he would, and Gibbs wondered briefly why it was he even thought he should have any say in the matter. It was rather like being caught in a riptide. He could fight it, but in the end he knew he’d lose. Stopping to see her on his way to visit Tony or after wouldn’t be hard to do; it would give him the opportunity to check on her and make sure Abby had settled into her new job okay. It would also give him that much more time before he had to figure out what he should do with the rest of his life.

Ziva had caught the next plane to Israel two days after Vance’s summary dismissal. Saying good-bye had been painful. Gibbs had managed to avoid saying any good-byes when he left knowing they were always distressing, but he felt he owed it to Ziva to be there for her.

She’d been stoic, expression giving away nothing. Her dark eyes were bright with unshed tears though. Tony had commented once that Ziva’s eyes were often very speaking, saying more than she ever could or would. Looking at her then, Gibbs understood exactly what the younger man meant.

“Say in touch,” he’d ordered softly when he’d pulled her in for a tight hug. “Post card, letter, e-mail, whatever you can manage.”

“I will.”

He hoped she could keep that promise, but wouldn’t be surprised if she couldn’t. Being back among Mossad wouldn’t be a cake walk. Odds were good she’d be working as a spy or assassin again within hours of her plane landing. Neither option had a schedule that lent itself well to keeping in contact with people not directly related to the operation.

McGee opted to stay in cyber crimes. He was nearly stuttering when he told Gibbs, clearly worried his decision would be viewed as being disloyal or unfaithful. Gibbs patted him on the cheek and told him if he was doing what he thought was right then he had no reason to be nervous. That had McGee squaring his shoulders and telling Gibbs staying was the right thing for him.

Gibbs nodded. He patted McGee on the shoulder. “Fight the good fight, McGee.”

“I will, Boss.”

Ducky would be staying at least until he could see Palmer through the end of the semester. He intended to help his protégé find another job, one worthy of his talent and dedication. He also thought staying would be give McGee added support.

“It wouldn’t due for Timothy to think everyone had abandoned the cause he still believes in.”

“Believe in the cause, Duck, just not the guy steering the ship.”

“Yes, well, I am trying to respect the office if not the man for the remainder of my tenure.”

“If anyone can do that it would be you, Duck.”

“Try to stay in touch, Jethro,” Ducky had smiled sadly. “I will miss you.”

“I’ll stay in touch, Ducky. I promise.”

He and Ducky had been friends for so long it was hard to remember a time when he didn’t know the man. Gibbs promised himself he’d make an effort to stay in contact. He’d valued the older man’s steady presence in his life too much to simply let him slip away. Ducky wasn’t getting any younger, he might find himself in need of looking after in the future, and Gibbs wanted to be available should his friend need help.

With so much free time, Gibbs made short work of finishing the boat. His original estimate of three months had factored in working his usual schedule, but not spending 10 to 12 hours a day, five to six days a week, at the office gave him plenty of time to complete the Kelly. She was an elegantly simple, sturdy craft that he knew would be a joy to sail.

Getting her out of the basement had been a bit tricky but he managed it. The Kelly wasn’t the first boat he’d built, so he’d had practice getting others out. None of the others ever made it to the water. The Kelly would be the first boat he actually sailed rather than destroyed.

He hadn’t ever planned to keep her. But until he had the Kelly on the water, Gibbs wasn’t sure what he was going to do with her. Maintaining a boat was as big a commitment as building her. And he wasn’t sure he wanted to be that tied down to something he wasn’t actively making.

Smiling to himself over his decision, Gibbs elected to give her to his goddaughter. Franks would have room for the boat, and it would give him something to bond with his granddaughter over. Lord knew the man had next to nothing in common with a small child, and his usual pastimes of smoking and drinking until he fell asleep on the beach were hardly appropriate for him to do with her. Upkeep of the Kelly and sailing her would give them something to do together for years.

Ducky, McGee and Palmer came to see Gibbs off the day he set sail. Abby was already in New Orleans or she’d have been there as well. She called him on the new satellite phone she’d given to him before she left to wish him ‘bon voyage’ and to remind him not to forget to stop by.

Sailing conditions had been perfect that day. The wind was light but steady. The sun was shining and the cool temperatures felt refreshing rather than being bitter or painful.

Gibbs made good time down the coast. He checked in with the Coast Guard regularly, making sure they knew his sail plan and call sign. Sailing alone could be dangerous, especially if the weather turned, and letting his only source of salvation know where he was and planned to be, was just good sense. He also made sure to send a text message to McGee every other day knowing he’d forward it on to Abby, Tony and Ducky so they wouldn’t worry unduly about how he was doing or where he was.

He was off the coast of Florida when a storm hit. Gibbs was able to ride it out without too much trouble. He did have to dock briefly near Miami for some minor repairs. It gave him a chance to stock up on supplies while he was at it. And he welcomed the chance to eat something other than his own cooking.

He stayed in port two days longer than he’d planned waiting out another storm system. Gibbs was confident of his own abilities, but he wasn’t going to stupidly risk life and limb if he didn’t have to. He used the time to do a little shopping, wanting to send some sort of souvenir to his former team. Getting gifts for friends and family was the kind of thing other people did when on vacation, and it seemed like something he should do. It would let them know he was thinking of them without him having to say anything that would seem overly sappy. And it would be honoring his promise to stay in touch. Gibbs considered that reason enough to brave the onerous task of shopping.

He found a black t-shirt that sported a silver Jolly Roger skull and cross bones on it for Abby. It seemed like the sort of thing she’d appreciate.

For Ducky, Gibbs was lucky to find several small tins of loose tea. English Breakfast was a blend he recognized as the one the older man preferred and he hoped what he bought was the same brand as what Ducky habitually drank. Just in case he got it wrong, Gibbs included a book on the finding and recovery of the treasures of the wreck of the Spanish galleon The Atocha.

For McGee, Gibbs struggled to find something he thought the younger man might like. Spotting an old ivory pipe with delicate carvings of ships encircling the bowl, Gibbs had grinned, knowing McGee liked to chew on a pipe when he worked on his novel. He couldn’t quite understand why. Gibbs had his own idiosyncrasies that made thinking and working easier for him, so he wasn’t going to question McGee’s. He thought the younger man might appreciate having a nicer prop to work with.

Feeling generous, Gibbs even got a t-shirt for Palmer too. It was a generic tourist type item, but he thought Palmer would like being remembered even if he didn’t receive something as personal as the others. Gibbs didn’t want to leave anyone out.

He would have liked to get something for Ziva, but not knowing where she was, he didn’t see the point. There was no way to contact her. It would be up to her to find him. He did stop at a church to light a candle for her. He didn’t think God would object to Catholic prayers being said for a Jewish woman.

He searched for a gift for Tony, wanting to have something for him as well. Not finding anything suitable, Gibbs gave up and headed back to the Kelly. Along the way he spotted a stand selling what looked like a variation on a snow globe. They were small glass container shaped like pyramids. Inside each one was water, white sand, drift wood, miniature sea creatures like starfish, sand dollars, bits of coral, clams, a few pebbles and a tiny treasure chest. The chest was open to reveal crystals shaped to look like precious gems. The items would rearrange themselves each time it was shaken or shifted to sit on another side. The unique shape and beveled glass kept them from looking cheap or tacky. Knowing Tony liked keeping things he could play with at his desk, Gibbs bought one of the larger ones for him.

Gibbs shipped all but Tony’s gift before leaving port. Tony’s he intended to give to him in person. Gibbs included a brief note written on the back of a post card with each gift he mailed. He was rather pleased with himself for making the effort to maintain ties to people he cared about. It was something he hadn’t put any genuine thought or energy into since Shannon and Kelly.

Sailing through the Keys, Gibbs headed for New Orleans. He took his time, enjoying the sun and warmth of the Gulf. There was no reason to rush.

Before getting close to New Orleans several days later, he called Abby. Knowing how busy she was with her new job and how little vacation time she’d had built up, he opted to stay only long enough to meet her for dinner that night.

He found a place to grab a hot shower and clean himself up before meeting Abby. It felt wonderful to linger under the hot water. The Kelly was a great boat but she didn’t have a lot of amenities. He’d missed being able to linger for as long as he liked in a steaming hot shower. Shaving was another pleasure. The beard was beginning to itch so he was glad to be rid of it. Staring at himself in the mirror he surprised to see lighter silver strands in his hair courtesy of the sun, how brown skin had become, and how relaxed he looked. He looked and felt a lot better than he had in years.

It was something Abby commented on the moment she saw him. “Bossman, you look fantastic.”

She enveloped him in a breath-stealing hug. He hugged her back just has hard. He’d missed her.

Grabbing a table at a small outdoor café just down the street from her apartment, he let her ramble for hours about her new job, new coworkers, the old haunts she’d had a chance to revisit and the ones she was still planning to get to. Gibbs didn’t have to do much more than nod at the right moments and ask a few questions now and again.

She seemed happy with her new job and was making friends. He didn’t expect any different. Abby might not be what most people considered ‘normal’ but she was too outgoing, upbeat and friendly to not fit in where ever she went.

“When will you be in Galveston?” She asked him.

“Should be there in a few days.”

Galveston was where Gibbs intended to dock. When he talked to Tony, outlining his sail plans, Tony said it would be easy to meet him there. It wasn’t that far from Houston, and with out a motor on the Kelly it would be hard to make his way up the river. He could always have her towed if need be, but Tony had insisted it wasn’t necessary.

In the two months since Tony and Levon had been injured they had both been recovering well. They were both back to work, albeit only desk duty. Neither would be allowed to be back in the field for another month. Gibbs knew Tony was going a little stir crazy not being able to be as active as he preferred. His arrival would give the younger man something else to focus on, at least for a little while. And the chance to get out was probably the reason he’d insisted on driving to Galveston to pick up Gibbs.

The plan was for Gibbs to arrive on Friday. They’d have the weekend to spend together in Houston. Gibbs would head back to Galveston the following Monday, and spend the week on the boat until Tony could join him for the weekend, hopefully on the water. Originally Tony had intended to spend two weeks with Gibbs, but having been off work for a month, he didn’t feel like he could take that much time. And he hadn’t sailed in years; so getting his sea legs on a small craft was something Tony was decidedly hesitant about. He’d done okay on larger ships, but Kelly was definitely a lot smaller than an aircraft carrier or even a destroyer. Gibbs was hoping he could convince Tony he wouldn’t spend days feeling like he was going to puke. He was sure the younger man would adjust easily enough to the motion and he’d enjoy spending time on the water.

Gibbs understood if he didn’t. And while he’d prefer to have more time, it wasn’t like he had a schedule to keep or anything pressing he had to do. He was coming to appreciate being retired and the freedom it afforded him.

Gibbs was hoping their schedules would work out for them to get more than two weekends together. He didn’t mind hanging out on the Gulf, doing a little fishing and seeing the sites. He was pretty sure if he played his cards right Lundy and LaFiamma might even invite him to stay in Houston at their place during the week.

Lundy obviously didn’t hate him, and LaFiamma had warmed up to him a lot in the last few months. They weren’t best friends, and Gibbs didn’t expect them to be, it was just nice to know he wasn’t going to be greeted with open hostility and suspicion.

Walking Abby back to her apartment, Gibbs got another hug and a kiss. He returned both, promising to stop again on his way back to DC. He wasn’t entirely certain how he was getting back yet, or even when, but he had the satellite phone so he could call and let her know. The Kelly was going to be staying with Mike, but Gibbs figured he could always rent a car. It wasn’t like he couldn’t afford it, and a road trip would be a nice counterpoint to traveling by water.

The next day dawned bright and beautiful. Gibbs sipped his first cup of coffee as he watched the sun come up over the water. He headed out with tide.

Once underway, his course set, Gibbs dialed Tony’s cellphone. The crisp ‘DiNozzo’ Gibbs heard made him smile.

“It’s me.”

“Well, hello you.” He could hear Tony’s smile. “How’s life on the open sea?”

“Beats riding a desk.”

Tony snorted. “Asshole.”

Gibbs laughed. “Takes one to know one.”

“Guess that means you’ll fit right in around here.”

“Just wanted you to know I’m leaving New Orleans.”

Gibbs could hear office sounds in the background---voices, phones, a fax machine beeping, a squawk that could only come from a police radio. He could easily picture Tony with his feet up on his desk, leaning back as far as his chair would go.

“And how was the happiest Goth on the planet?”

Gibbs filled Tony in on his time with Abby even though he knew they talked every day via the computer and he would probably hear it all a second time from her. It was nice just to talk to him. Gibbs missed their weekly conversations and felt a need to make up for them.

He heard someone call Tony’s name in the background. Whoever it was had a demanding bark that rivaled Gibbs’ own.

“Boss, I gotta go. I’ll try to call you back tonight. Levon’s got steaks waiting for dinner whenever you get in. Be careful out there. I hear retirement can be hazardous.”

With that Gibbs found himself listening to a dial tone. He shook his head in bemusement. Of all his bad habits that was one he wished Tony hadn’t adopted as one of his own.

Gibbs got himself another cup of coffee and checked the sail. If he worked it right, he might just get to Galveston before Friday.

He grinned. He knew his way around Houston now---at least well enough to get where he wanted to go. Surprising Tony by showing up early would be fun.