- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs meets Tony's boss...and finds out something disturbing about his own.
Gibbs watched the nurse like a hawk, blue eyes assessing her every movement. He’d watched the last one who’d come to check on Tony the same way. It wasn’t that he didn’t trust them, not really, it was his need to make sure no more harm came to Tony that had him watching them so intently, measuring and assessing everything did.

It bothered Gibbs that Tony didn’t react to the nurse’s actions. Tubes were checked, IVs bags were replaced, his temperature and blood pressure were all taken without so much as a twitch. Intellectually, Gibbs knew Tony couldn’t move or communicate, but he still found himself looking for any signs of pain or discomfort.

The nurse gave Gibbs a tentative smile. Gibbs didn’t bother trying to return the friendly overture. He knew he should at least try to make nice with the staff, but he wasn’t the sort of person how normally did that. Gibbs’ gaze moved to study Tony’s face again. Making nice used to be Tony’s job. It had fallen to McGee or Ziva to be the ‘people person’ on his team since Tony left.

“Your son is doing very well.” The nurse’s smile was reassuring now.

Gibbs grunted in surprise. He wasn’t old enough to be Tony’s father…not unless he had been a very precocious fourteen year old boy, but the nurse likely had no idea of his real age. His gray hair and the lack of sleep no doubt added a few years to his appearance. He sure as hell felt older than he had before getting the call from LaFiamma. She might know Tony was 35, his age was on his chart somewhere Gibbs was sure, but to him Tony looked a lot younger than his real age. It was possible he looked equally young to the nurse.

“I know all this equipment can be,” she hesitated or a moment clearly looking for the right word, “well…distressing, but it really is temporary. If he continues doing well, we can bring him out of the coma in a few days.”

“I know,” Gibbs said softly.

Doctor Kline, Tony’s attending physician, had been in shortly after Gibbs had arrived. Gibbs had called Ducky and made Kline talk to him. The ME knew what questions to ask and could understand the answers. And it saved Gibbs having to trying to remember and recount all the details to Ducky. Ducky got the information directly and then Gibbs asked him to boil it down into something he could comprehend.

“Is there anything I can get you?”

Gibbs shook his head. “No, thank you.”

She nodded and left. Gibbs grimaced, forcing himself out of the chair he’d opted to sit in at some point. He could understand why Mendez considered it a torture device and had needed help getting out of it. The springs in the cushion had long since worn out, sucking anyone who sat down in deeper and further than the design of the chair originally called for or the human body was meant to withstand. Gibbs gave the chair a dirty look. He wouldn’t make the mistake of sitting on that piece of shit again.

He stretched slowly, easing the kinks for his joints and stiffness from his muscles. He scowled at his empty coffee cup. He should have asked the nurse for another cup. He tossed the empty in the trash, not entirely certain when he’d finished it. He didn’t know where to go for more either. Dewing had brought him his first cup and the two others that followed.

There was a soft knock at the door. None of the medical personnel ever knocked, it had to be one of Tony’s coworkers. There had been a steady stream of people dropping by, most staying only a few minutes. Some Gibbs had met before…like Amos Sixkiller, the Houston ME , and Annie Hartung, their forensic scientist. And there were some he didn’t know, like Bill McCandless, another detective on Tony’s team who’d been out on sick leave recovering from a broken ankle when Gibbs had been in Houston the last time.

Gibbs eyed the dark haired woman who stepped into the room. He’d been expecting Dewing. She left at least an hour ago. She’d said something about having work to do and coming back later.

The woman walking in Gibbs had never met, but he knew who she was. When Tony had decided to go back to Houston, Gibbs had researched everyone on his team as thoroughly as possible. Joanne Beaumont, Tony’s boss, had been a good cop and by accounts was an excellent commander.

She was small in stature, probably not much over five foot four in Gibbs estimation, but she carried herself with a self-assurance that made her seem taller. Her build was delicate and refined, but judging from what was in her file, she was no shrinking violet. She’d been a beat cop, and with Lundy as her partner at one point, Gibbs was sure Beaumont had to be one tough lady.

She smiled at him, dipping her head. “You must be, Gibbs.”

“I am.”

Dewing said you’d be here.” She held out her hand. “I’m Beaumont.”

Gibbs took her hand, careful not to use to much force. The handshake was brief, but firm and confident.

Gibbs couldn’t help comparing Beaumont to Jenny Shepard. Unlike Shepard, Beaumont would didn’t need flaunt her authority or even mention her position. Gibbs immediately recognized in her the quiet dignity and understated authority of someone comfortable being in charge. From the comments Tony made, Gibbs knew Beaumont ran a tight ship. She only got directly involved with cases when her help was requested or when it was obvious intervention was warranted. She trusted her people to keep her informed, and made a point of making sure they could trust her to watch out for them. Gibbs had found it reassuring to know Tony was working for someone he respected.

“How’s he doing?”

“Better…at least that’s what the Dr. Kline said.” Gibbs wasn’t so sure. When Ducky got in later and saw Tony, Gibbs would feel more confident. He trusted Ducky to tell him the truth.

She cocked her head, sky blue eyes studying him. “Kline wouldn’t lie.”

“How do you know?”

“Because he and I have met before.” She smiled. “He knows better than to blow smoke when it comes to my people.”

“Oh?” Gibbs wondered if there was a story there.

“I’d have his guts for garters. And he knows it.”

Gibbs’ eyes narrowed in suspicion. “He a good doctor?”

“One of the best.” She assured him. “But he prefers to soften the blow when it comes to dealing with family and friends. My team and I prefer brutal honesty. It’s easier to deal with in the long run. And I’ve managed to convince him to just be straight with us, and we’ll worry about how to deal with the news.”

Gibbs nodded. He thought he’d detected a more candid delivery when he’d had Kline talked to Ducky than most doctors employed, but he thought that was just the man reacting to Gibbs’ brusque demeanor. Knowing from his research that Lundy and LaFiamma had regularly needed medical attention as often Tony had, and recognizing Beaumont’s no nonsense demeanor was akin to his own, Gibbs had no trouble believing she’d spoken to Dr. Kline about cutting to the chase when it came to her people.

Beaumont stepped around Gibbs to get closer to Tony. She shook her head, and sighed. She reached out and laid a hand on Tony’s shoulder. “You know, Tony, when I hired you, I didn’t think you’d be another one giving me gray hair. Lundy and LaFiamma are already doing their best to make me old before my time. You don’t need to help them.”

Gibbs tried not to resent the easy familiarity she clearly had with Tony. Or that talking to him clearly posed no challenges for her.

He cleared his throat before asking, “How is Lundy?”

“You could go see for yourself. He’s only two doors down the hall.”

Gibbs grimaced. He’d been meaning to go check on the man and talk to LaFiamma, but hadn’t been able to bring himself to leave Tony.

“I’ll stay with him.”

Gibbs glared at her when he realized she wasn’t suggesting he leave, she was almost ordering it. She looked back at him, expression mild.

“It’ll do you good to stretch your legs.”

“Look•“

“Tony would want me to watch out for you. So I am.” She measured him with her eyes. “He wouldn’t want you spending all day in this room worrying about shit you can’t fix or change.”

Gibbs arched an eyebrow. “You think so?”

“Know so.” She nodded toward the door. “I’d appreciate it if you brought me a cup of coffee when you come back. Two sugars. No cream.”

“Anything else?” Gibbs asked, his tone bone dry.

She smiled brightly. “Oh, I think that’ll do it for now.”

Everyone in Houston was an asshole, he decided, rolling his eyes. And they had a penchant for being right. Bastards. It would do him good to get out of the room for a bit. He hated feeling useless.

“I’ll be back.”

“Of that, I have no doubt.”

Gibbs shot her a dirty look before leaning down to speak quietly to Tony. “I’m going to get some coffee. DiNozzo, you better be here when I get back.”

Beaumont gave him a waggled finger wave as he left. Gibbs gave her the same two finger salute he’d seen everyone else on her team use. She smirked, eyes sparkling with good humor. Gibbs shook his head. They were all nuts. It was the only explanation for why they weren’t properly intimidated by him the way sensible people would be. But then, their brand of insanity seemed like a good match for Tony’s.

Gibbs headed down the hall to Lundy’s room. He made eye contact with the guard at the door wondering if the man would let him pass. He hadn’t been introduced to him, and Gibbs really didn’t want to have to track down someone to vouch for him. Hoping the guy had the same list everyone else did, Gibbs decided to introduce himself and hope for the best.

“Excuse me, I’m•“

“Gibbs.” He nodded. “I know who you are, Sir.”

“Oh?” Gibbs opted to over look the ‘sir’. “How is it you know who I am?”

“Lieutenant Beaumont said the gray haired guy who would be coming out of DiNozzo’s room in a few minutes would be Gibbs and I should let him in to see Lundy.”

Gibbs bit back a sigh. Beaumont was nothing if not thorough. He wouldn’t have put it past her to hand out his picture…if she had one. Knowing what he did about her, he wouldn’t be surprised to find out she’d checked him out just as thoroughly as he’d checked her out.

The cop stepped out of the way, giving Gibbs access to the door. He shook his head when Gibbs didn’t bother to knock. Gibbs simply walked in only to come up short when he found himself faced with a 9 mm pointed directly at his face.

Gibbs held up his hands slowly, palms out. “Hello, LaFiamma.”

“Gibbs.”

“You should knock.” LaFiamma set his gun down on the night stand. It was then that Gibbs noticed he’d been holding it in his left hand. His right arm was in a sling. Gibbs pointed to it.

“Bad?”

“More annoying than anything else. But if I wear the sling the nurses don’t bitch.”

Gibbs smirked. He doubted LaFiamma was their favorite person, wearing the sling or not. “You greet them the same way you did me?”

“No.” LaFiamma grinned wolfishly. “Michaels usually knocks for them.”

Gibbs was betting Michaels knew exactly what sort of greeting he’d get. The man could have warned him. But then, he probably didn’t think he had to or he was just an asshole like everyone else in Houston.

Gibbs glanced toward the bed. Lundy’s right leg was elevated, not quite in traction but definitely something similar. Given what LaFiamma had told him about Lundy’s injuries, Gibbs wasn’t surprised by the set up. Elevating the injured limb would reduce the pressure, and restricting mobility would give the damaged artery time heal.

“Joe?”

Lundy’s query was whisper soft, barely audible, but LaFiamma’s reaction was immediate. He abandoned baiting Gibbs, turning toward his partner, reaching out to take Lundy’s hand.

“Hey, Cowboy. You with me?”

Lundy turned his head to look at LaFiamma. “Think so…Maybe.”

Gibbs winced at how rough the man’s voice sounded. He wasn’t surprised when LaFiamma released Lundy’s hand to grab a small cup full of ice chips. He gently offered several to Lundy.

“Better?”

“Yeah.” Lundy nodded. He blinked slowly. “They got me on good drugs…don’t they?”

LaFiamma smiled. “Yeah, they do.”

“S’bad?”

“Yeah, it was bad.” LaFiamma brushed blonde curls off Lundy’s forehead. “You scared me, Levon.”

“Sorry, Joey.” Lundy reached for LaFiamma’s hand. To Gibbs surprise he didn’t try to hold it, but rather pulled it to his throat. LaFiamma seemed to understand, his fingers coming to rest on Lundy’s pulse point.

“Still here, Joe.” Lundy’s voice was firmer than it had been. “I’m in for the long haul, just like I promised you.”

LaFiamma’s eyes closed, and Gibbs could see him taking a deep breath, releasing it slowly. He swallowed hard before leaning down to rest his forehead against Lundy’s. Gibbs watched them trade breaths, one breathing out as the other breathed in. He looked away feeling guilty for seeing what was clearly private.

“Love you,” Lundy whispered.

“Love you too, Cowboy.” LaFiamma replied.

“Everyone get out?”

The question seemed like a sign the intimate moment had passed. Gibbs risked a glance.

“Yes, Levon, everyone got out.”

“Asked ya that ‘fore, didn’t I?” Lundy blinked owlishly.

“You remember?” LaFiamma sounded genuinely surprised.

“No.” Lundy shook his head. “But ya got that tone.”

“Tone?”

“Yeah.” Lundy smiled, eyes closing. “Same one ya get whenever…ya have ta repeat yourself ‘cause…I wasn’t payin’ attention.”

LaFiamma chuckled. “Duly noted.”

“M’tired.” Lundy sighed.

“Go to sleep.”

“Jus’ woke up,” Lundy protested, eyelids fluttering but not opening.

“Shhh.” LaFiamma ran his fingers through Lundy’s hair several times. “I’ll be here when you wake up again.”

“You better…be.”

LaFiamma smiled. “I promise.”

“’Kay.” Lundy’s breathing evened out in steady cadence of restful sleep.

LaFiamma placed a soft kiss on Lundy’s forehead, one on his cheek, and another on his lips. The action seemed almost habituated, like it was something always done, and yet there was still obvious weight and significance to it---at least for LaFiamma, and probably Lundy.

It reminded Gibbs of his time with Shannon. They never went to bed at home without a goodnight kiss•no matter how angry either of them might have been. And he never left without promising her he’d come home, putting a finger to his heart and then to her lips to seal the deal.

LaFiamma straightened up and made eye contact with Gibbs. The older man expected to see some hostility or even embarrassment over his being witness to what was obviously none of his business but LaFiamma simply looked tired rather than upset or angry.

“Let’s talk outside.”

Gibbs nodded. He watched as LaFiamma picked up the gun he’d left on the night stand, and slid it under Lundy’s pillow. Why the man didn’t simply holster it was something Gibbs decided not to ask.

LaFiamma spoke to Michaels, telling him that he was going to stretch his legs and grab some coffee. He offered to bring back a cup for him. Michaels said no.

He smiled at Gibbs. “Bet you knock the next time.”

Gibbs glared at Michaels. The cop just smiled wider. “Courtesy only takes a second.”

“Michaels, I doubt you’ll ever convince him making nice isn’t a waste of time, regardless of how little time it takes.” LaFiamma chucked. “We’ll be back.”

LaFiamma led him to the stairwell and up one flight. He winked at Gibbs as he pointed to the door clearly labeled ‘Doctors’ Lounge’.

“They got the best coffee in this place.”

The lounge was empty but it wouldn’t have mattered if the place was packed. Gibbs wasn’t going to drink any more crappy coffee if there was better stuff to be had.

LaFiamma took two paper cups, setting them on the counter before pouring coffee into them. He added a liberal dose of some flavored creamer sitting nearby. Gibbs looked away suddenly reminded of how light and sweet Tony preferred his coffee.

“Dewing said you told you what happened.” LaFiamma offered him the black coffee.

Gibbs nodded, taking the cup and breathing the heady aroma. He took a sip and sighed. It was definitely better than what Dewing had brought him earlier.

“She said there was military ordinance involved.”

“Yeah.”

“I’d like to bring my team in on the case,” Gibbs stated bluntly. He was too tired to bother with niceties and beating around the bush had never been his style.

LaFiamma rubbed his hand tiredly over his face. “We don’t know if the explosives were Navy or Marine issue. Could be jurisdictional issues if the higher ups object to you’re --”

“We can always say we’re simply trying to find out if NCIS needs to be involved. We tell them you called in my team because of Tony’s contact with the agency and us in particular. We’ve got the expertise and clearance you need to narrow down who might have been Kort’s buyer and where the ordinance came from.”

“The brass might not see it that way.”

“I don’t give a shit how they see it,” Gibbs growled. Even if Tony wasn’t on his team any more, he was still one of his, and his nearly dying was not going to go unanswered for. “All that matters is getting making sure whoever is responsible pays.”

LaFiamma studied him. Gibbs made eye contact and held it, unsure of what the other man was looking for.

“I know you don’t like me, but damn it, Tony is my friend too. And I owe Lundy one.” He unconsciously squared his shoulders, facing off against LaFiamma. “I need to work this case.”

LaFiamma shook his head. “Dewing owes me five bucks.”

Gibbs frowned. “What?”

LaFiamma laughed softly. “I told her you’d have some way to justify getting involved with the case. She agreed but thought you wouldn’t bother to even asking to assist before you tried to take over the investigation. ”

Gibbs smiled ruefully. “Ordinarily she’d be right, but somehow I don’t think you’d let me take over.”

“Damn right I wouldn’t.”

“I’m not going to standby and do nothing either.” Gibbs had no intention of standing on the sidelines.

“Didn’t expect you to.” LaFiamma grinned. “I talked to Beaumont. She already agreed to bringing you and your team on board.”

Gibbs glared at him. “Why the hell didn’t you just tell me that earlier?”

“What, and miss having you actually ask? Hell no.”

“Asshole.”

“Guilty as charged.” LaFiamma saluted Gibbs with his cup. “Beaumont will have some ground rules you’ll have to agree to.”

Gibbs nodded. He would expect no less. Any commander worth his or her salt wouldn’t let an outsider just run roughshod in their house.

“And she wants some input on who to formally speak with about getting you and your team assigned to the case.”

“The Director would be the one•“

“I already told Beaumont talking to Shepard might not be a good idea.”

Gibbs eyes narrowed. “Why?”

“I can’t see Shepard being all that willing to have you on the case, especially not if she knows Kort was involved.”

Gibbs frowned. “What makes you say that?”

“His death works in her favor.”

Gibbs made a ‘go on’ motion with one hand.

“With him dead, there is no way he can recant his statement about killing Rene Benoit.” LaFiamma smiled darkly. “You helped convince the FBI to take his story at face value because it put Tony in the clear and saved your team a lot of grief. But she ahs to know better than to think you’d actually leave well enough alone. She’s closer to staying in the clear with Kort buried. One less loose end for her to worry about.”

Gibbs frowned, thinking that over. Was it possible Shepard actually thought as LaFiamma did, that she was better off with Kort dead? And if she did, would she go so far as to leak Kort’s identity hoping to get him killed? It was possible. Gibbs already knew she wasn’t above murder. What was one more if it meant she could get away with both?

“Dewing said it sounded like Kort’s cover had been blown.”

“It sounded that way, yeah.” LaFiamma shrugged one shoulder. “It could mean nothing that people know he’s not really an arms dealer just a few months after he supposedly killed his boss to take over his business. It could be just one of those freak things that his identity becomes common knowledge right after he takes the fall for Shepard. Yeah, stranger things have happened, but you and I both know there is no such thing as coincidence.”

Gibbs grimaced. “Shit.”

“Un-hunh.” LaFiamma sighed. “Don’t forget to bring Beaumont a cup of coffee. She’ll kick your ass if you come back empty handed. God knows right now we need the help so don’t go getting yourself benched before you even get to play in the game.”

Gibbs nodded. “I won’t.”

“Good.” LaFiamma headed for the door. “Let me know when your team is due to arrive. I’ll make sure someone gets them at the airport. We should be ready to bring them up to speed by then.”

“LaFiamma?”

He stopped, and looked over his shoulder. “Yeah?”

“About Shepard, if she was responsible---”

“She’s all yours, I know.”

“You okay with that?”

“As long as you make her pay for any part she played in nearly getting the two most important people in my life killed, I’m fine with it.” LaFiamma smiled tightly. “She gets another free pass and all bets are off.”

Gibbs nodded. “I understand.”

“Good.”

Gibbs watched LaFiamma leave. He hoped the man was wrong. He really did, but his gut was screaming that LaFiamma was right. Shepard was involved---somehow, some way, she had played a role in all this.

“God damn that woman.”