- Text Size +
Several weeks passed since Jefferson was buried, and everything had returned to normal. The search for the black-dressed man Maggie swore she had seen had brought no success, though Gibbs was pretty sure the FBI hadn’t really been trying. Another psychologist had confirmed that it was a possible symptom of PTSD, so the FBI chalked it up as self-defence and a coping mechanism. It probably hadn’t hurt that Maggie was seeing a shrink before, too.

Gibbs had almost forgotten about it and even the media wasn’t interested anymore, though he could imagine that Fornell was royally pissed that someone had leaked the information about the imaginary man to the media - he sure as hell would have been. No-one seemed to remember the case, though Gibbs and everyone else who worked the case would never really forget the faces of the girls they hadn’t been quick enough to save.

It was one morning when he had just walked into the office with a fresh cup of coffee that Gibbs was reminded of the case. When he exited the elevator he saw his team, including Abby and Ducky, gathered around the plasma screen. As he approached the group he could see CNN and some reporter talking to some woman.

„Don’t you have work to do?“ Gibbs asked, but silently wondered why they were so interested in the news today.

„Maggie didn’t make it up, Gibbs,“ Abby said, but didn’t turn away from the screen.

„She didn’t make what up?“ He was confused, to say the least.

„That man who killed Jefferson. It seems that this woman has been saved by the same guy,“ McGee clarified, and now Gibbs frowned.

„How would they know if it was the same guy?“ He wondered.

„Well, she said it was a big guy with all black clothing and a black hockey mask. Not the best costume for a superhero,“ Abby mused.

„Superhero? Abby, it probably was just a guy in the wrong place at the wrong time,“ Tony said, sounding slightly annoyed.

„Why are you so pessimistic, Tony? I don’t know what’s wrong with a superhero. DC could use one.“ Abby turned to Tony and frowned at him.

„I’m just saying that you‘re glorifying an outlaw, Abby. That guy kills people without justification.“

„Isn’t saving a little girl and a woman justification?“ Abby was getting a little louder.

„Abs, Tony’s right.“ People looked shocked at Gibbs at that statement. „Vigilantism is a crime.“

Tony got out of his stupor first. „Abby, that guy’s killing. It’s our job to bring those bastards to justice, not his. The system might not be perfect, but if everyone did what he does, where would that lead us? Until now he only killed guilty people, but once he realizes that he’s not gonna be caught, he might kill other people or he will kill someone who’s innocent just because he thinks they’re guilty. And I thought you were against the death penalty?!“

„I am against the killing of people in the name of the government, that’s just wrong. But this guy’s punishing those who fall through the system,“ she insisted.

„That’s enough!“ Gibbs intervened. „We all have work to do.“ He really didn’t want to hear more about that damn vigilante murderer. He knew only too well why someone would do something like this â€" once. However, to have someone on the streets doing it all the time, apparently without personal reason, was as Tony had said a danger and glorifying his actions would probably just be an added motivation.




Some days later Gibbs realized that he would probably be hearing a lot about the vigilante murderer for a while ahead. The FBI was still struggling to find him, but whoever it was, the guy was good. No ties to the people he killed, the only motive apparently vengence for those in need of revenged Three people had been killed so far and Gibbs wondered how many more would die before the FBI finally found a clue.

The media had of course realized the opportunity and soon the viligante murderer even had a name:

THE DARK AVENGER

Nearly every day there was news about the newly crowned superhero and Gibbs was waiting for the copy-cat crimes to begin. There sure were people who’d like to label themselves the Dark Avenger. However he could zone out the press and the hype around that particular criminal, and as long as he didn’t piss on his leg he didn’t really care - but what he hated was that Abby seemed to be overly fascinated by him.

„A guy in black clothes walking around and bringing justice to an unjustice world. Are you sure he’s Abby’s type?“ Tony had mockingly asked McGee one day and Gibbs had to admit, Tony had a valid point there.

The most ridiculous attempt to solve the problem, (which wasn’t a problem if you asked the media and public), was the phantom picture. Seriously, put a hockey mask on any guy who’s around 6 feet tall and there you have him. As if the rescued victims could have seen his eyes so well. However, the FBI acknowledged the danger and the Dark Avenger made the Most Wanted list.

Gibbs had to fight down a laugh when he saw Fornell’s face only two days ago. They had caught another big case and not surprising, it didn’t go anywhere. Tobias was standing in Gibbs‘ basement when he received a phone call from his second in command informing him that they had been tipped off, and when they reached the location, they had found the perp they’d been chasing for three weeks cuffed to a chair. There was a post-it on his forehead which read:

Wherever the system fails
I’ll be there
For those who can’t save themselves
I’ll be there
When ever a crime is unrevenged
I’ll be there

Sincerely, the Dark Avenger

P.S. Thanks for the great work, Agent Fornell. Wwithout you, I’d have solved this two weeks ago.


Maybe Gibbs disliked the Dark Avenger just as much as Tobias, but it was damn funny. As usual Tobias wasn’t quick to admit that without the Dark Avenger they wouldn’t have been there in time to save the woman held hostage. Instead, he talked to his director and that had lead to the meeting Gibbs found himself in on this day.

„Tobias, why the hell am I here? I have paperwork to do,“ he asked, annoyed when Fornell was still typing on the computer. Gibbs hated the FBI deep in his gut and he hated it even more when he had to go over there. If Fornell wanted something he should have come over to his playground.

„We worked hard on the Dark Avenger, but that guy is damn good at covering his tracks. We want him down,“ Fornell answered heatedly.

„Don’t you mean you want him down? Because he humiliated you?“ Gibbs couldn’t quite suppress the smirk. He knew he wouldn’t have reacted any differently, though.

„It doesn’t matter. He’s a criminal and he has to be caught like every criminal.“

„Maybe you should send him a message that he’s a criminal, maybe he’ll kill himself at the thought.“ Okay, maybe he was enjoying himself a little too much.

„We thought more of a trap. We set up a big case, let your team work it, and catch him as soon as he’ll try to intervene,“ Fornell said with an even smile as Gibbs‘ folded.

„Why my team?“ As professional as that guy was he didn’t know what he would do if he was ambushed.

„Well, it would be too obvious if the case was FBI, and he’s already intervened in one of your cases. We will set something up that he won’t refuse. We were thinking serial rape and murder.“

Gibbs narrowed his eyes at Fornell.

„What if I say no?“

„You can’t. It’s all cleared with your director. Oh, and your team cannot be in on it.“

Gibbs swallowed at this. He still remembered too well how angry Tony was at him for setting the trap for that traitor. He really didn’t think that their friendship, comradship and whatever Gibbs was feeling for Tony could take another blow so quickly. However, he knew when he was in a situation he couldn’t get out of, and nodded.