- Text Size +
Chapter 15

Martin looked up as Gibbs and Abby came inside, both of them looking strained and tense. “Everything okay?” he asked Gibbs in an undertone as he helped with the food.

“Yeah…fine. Are just the five of us meeting?”

“And Franks.”

Gibbs winced, nodding. “You’re not going to get him to go easy on me.”

Martin rolled his eyes. “I’m aware, Jethro…I’m aware.” He started unloading the large catering portions with Gibbs, working quietly side by side with his friend. “You coming down or still keyed up?” The question was rote; he could see Jethro was almost vibrating with nervous energy so different from the calm, cool, collected way when he usually was under fire or pressure.

“Working on it,” Gibbs allowed, moving back to his seat and watching Abby. Martin turned to watch her as well, knowing she was an enigma.

As the guys set the food on the table, Abby started flitting around, opening containers, setting out plates and plastic silverware. Once she had everything set up, she wiped her hands together and said, “We’re ready.”

Gesturing to the FBI agents, she said, “Guests first.”

“Toby, get off the phone and start eating.” Gibbs growled good-naturedly. He scooped up some salami and olives, lasagna, and a little fettuccine alfredo. Unable to resist the sweets, he put a large portion of tiramisu and two cannolis to the side. Seeing that the coffee was finished, Gibbs went over and poured himself a cup, wishing he had his thirty-two ounce mug nearby.

He nodded to Abby. “Your turn.”

Smiling at his healthy appetite, Abby moved after Jet to pick out her food. With so many delicious choices, she decided to just grab a little of almost everything. She only wished she’d remembered to grab her Caf-Pow on the way up. Setting down her plate next to his, she pulled her chair a little closer to Jet as she sat down, hoping it didn’t look too obvious.

He rested his hand on the back of her chair, fingers tracing over her shoulder blade as he ate. He barely paid attention as the directors and Tobias grabbed their food. “Not drinking anything, Abby?” he asked in an undertone.

Unconsciously leaning closer to him when she felt his fingers on her skin, she said, “My normal drink of choice isn’t here. But some coffee will be okay. Be right back.” Slipping out of her chair, she went back to where she had set up the drinks. Pouring a cup with several spoons of sugar, she made her way back to her seat, sliding in.

“What is your normal?” He asked, sipping his coffee. Being close to her and establishing a rapport felt relaxed and real and nice. He knew it was the calm before the storm. They’d need to be debriefed and some sort of strategy established"and soon. But for now this was a break he’d gladly hang onto.

Absently, she wished he would touch her again as simply as he had before, but she was grateful that they seemed to get along just as well without the sexual tension they had in the hallway. “Caf-Pow. My drink of choice is Caf-Pow. Do you think we’ll be able to get some when we’re undercover?”

“Caf-Pow?” he asked, thinking about it and picturing a soda cup. Her expression was deeply concerned, and he realized it might be hitting her hard. “Extra caffeinated soda? I’m sure we can work it out, Abby. We want you happy and comfortable. They’ll get you some of your favorite clothes from your house, and will arrange to have your pets or plants taken care of. You’re not without a net here and the team is our team. FBI or NCIS, they’re still in place to make sure we succeed and do so safely.”

He pulled her close, tucking her tight under his arm. “You’ll be okay. My men have done this before and yours have done a lot with undercover ops, even if they aren’t joint ops with our men too. I promise you that it’ll be safe and run seamlessly.”

Snuggling in close, she turned and looked up into his eyes. She loved the feeling she had under his arm. Smiling, she said, “I know, Jet. I trust you. I trust my team. And I’ve worked with Fornell before, many times. I trust you to take care of me. No pets, only some plants. But I don’t know if my clothes will work, will they? I mean,” she said, gesturing to her current outfit. “This is generally what I wear. I know we haven’t worked out the details yet, but I don’t think I’ll blend in well with these. I tend to stick out.”

“Let them figure it out. You can wear what you want inside; they’ll put together a wardrobe for you to wear outside.” He motioned to the two directors talking. “They’re probably working out our cover story now. Hope I can keep you at the penthouse. It is phenomenal. The views of the Potomac are amazing.” He gave her a wistful smile. “It isn’t home but it isn’t too bad either.” And with her there, the ache would be less, the loneliness less painful.

“But, if you’re forced to be away from what you know and love for so long, a penthouse is probably a nice place to lay your head,” she said, agreeing, teasing him lightly. Turning her head into his shoulder, she whispered, “And thank you, Jet. For trying to make this easier on me. I know they probably didn’t make these kinds of concessions for you, but thank you. With you there, I think I’ll be fine…well you and a Caf-Pow every now and then.”

“You want to be all alone eighteen hours a day or with me?” he shot back, knowing he knew the answer. He rested his hand on her head when she pressed it against his shoulder. “You’d be surprised. This isn’t me.” He motioned to the designer clothes, the haircut that was much more precise and longer than his barber ever created. “They set up an entire life for us, not just a name.”

Afraid to look at him, she asked tentatively, “How do you do it, Jet? Be someone else without losing yourself?” She was confused at his question. “I hope you’re not losing faith in me. I’ll be able to do this. I promise.”

“Not at all,” he whispered, stroking her hair. “I just want you to know everything you leave behind. You’re leaving Abby back here and you have to play a role. All the time, even when we’re alone. I don’t want you to be overwhelmed. I wouldn’t choose this road for you.” He was selfishly glad he’d be sharing it with her but he didn’t dare admit that yet.

“But if I hadn’t chosen this road to start, Jet, I wouldn’t have met you. At least, not like we did. We may have talked on the phone if our agencies worked together, or smiled in passing, but nothing like what happened tonight.” Abby grew a little sad when he started talking about leaving herself behind. She liked who she was, liked being the crazy one no one knew how to take seriously.

He angled his head down at her commentary. She was the best damned thing about the entire mission. “I’m surprised our paths didn’t cross beforehand,” he admitted softly. At least she seemed to be realizing that things would change in huge ways.

“Yeah, I’m surprised too. I’ve worked with the FBI several times before, even with Fornell a couple times. But I’ve never heard of you before today. And now it looks like we’ll be…working quite a bit with each other.”

“I’m going to miss everyone. I know I am. Franks. Tim. Ducky. Jimmy. The director. Ziva. Tony. Especially Tony. He’s like my brother, only better. And my family. Will someone be able to tell them? Could Tony go back to New Orleans to tell them in person?” She thought about the next question and asked, almost to herself, “Who will I be then, Jet?”

“Before you go under, I’m sure you can speak with your family, but you won’t be able to tell them what you’re doing. Nobody outside of these walls can know that.” Missing people and things was so hard. It wasn’t the material possessions he missed as much as the pictures and the house itself. Some days he could still feel his family in the hallways, the echo of his daughter’s laughter within the four walls.

As for who she’d be, he couldn’t even begin to make that assumption. “Hopefully they’ll be able to work you into my identity. You’ll still be Abby deep inside but you need to put her in a figurative box. Switching back and forth never works.”

She looked up at him when he talked about her family. “Thank you, Jet. I would just like to tell my parents that I’m going to be okay. The thing is, it has to be over the agency that provides communication for the deaf. That is how I learned to sign; both of my parents are deaf.”

Frowning, she teased, “They better put my cover in with your identity. Otherwise, where’s the fun or the benefit,” she finished, winking at him. “Remember, you promised…”

“Not only working together,” he said, his voice low and sultry. He didn’t know how they’d work it out but he knew they would. “They’ll figure out a secure line,” he promised, not admitting how he knew sign language. “Have any brothers or sisters?” He didn’t know why he asked that, why he was trying to learn more about her at this juncture. Maybe because she knew about Shannon and Kelly.

Gibbs noticed that Toby turned away, giving him and Abby some privacy. “I have some pull with my director and you have some with yours. I’m sure we can make a case for our…chemistry.”

In reality, he knew that they had great chemistry and that the directors would take complete advantage of that. They would be a unit, no matter how hard it would be to work out the details of their now joint op.

“Oh, I hope it won’t all be working, Jet. I’m hoping to have a little time alone…with you. You promised after all,” she said in his ear softly. Leaning back, she said, “I have a brother by the way. You?” She didn’t mind answering questions about herself. She kinda liked that he was interested in her beyond their heat and chemistry.

And boy, did they have some heat and chemistry! She’d never experienced anything like this before. Despite the room full of high ranking and highly intelligent members of two federal agencies, Abby was finding it difficult to not throw herself at the man holding her.

“Yeah, Director Morrow loves me; he’ll listen to me. I think everyone in here is well aware of our chemistry. We won’t need to make too big of a case for it. But I hope they’ll take it into account.”

He just shook his head. His family story was too complex to get into. Maybe someday, if he could let her in. Then maybe he could explain to her why Tobias and Emily were more family then his blood father, who he talked to a few times a year if that.

“My family isn’t…any more. For a lot of years.” That was all he’d admit to at the moment.

He regarded the room, glad that Franks wasn’t there. “A blind man can see our connection, Abby. Not losing that to anyone. We’ll be together. We have to be. I won’t accept anything less, and like it or not, I have some pull here too.”

“I’m sorry, Jet. I didn’t want you to get upset. I was just curious.” She realized she’d stepped over an unseen line, though the blunder probably also had a lot to do with the family he had lost as well. Just because Abby was used to being an open person, didn’t mean that everyone else was like her.

“And I won’t worry. I trust you and I trust the men we work for. And I’m not going in this completely willing to do whatever they want. I have to be with you for this to work, for the op to work, for us to figure out what this is between us. I’m not worried.”

“I’m not upset,” he told her softly “Just…keyed up.” Instead of being settled, his mind was going everywhere. “I don’t know about NCIS, but I trust my director with my life. I have for many years. And Tobias is a brother to me. Your director and mine seem to be close. And I….trust you.”

It was a huge admission for him. He didn’t trust easily and he suspected that she knew that.

She could tell how much that cost him, that admittance of trust in her. Cupping his face, she looked into his eyes, trying to find a way to still his racing mind. “Thank you,” she offered. “Thank you for trusting me, even though you really have no reason to, not after what I did to you tonight. And yes, I trust Director Morrow with my life, with your life.”

“Tonight has little to do with us. Just how we met…” There was a lot more he wanted to say but not in front of the directors and not when Franks could just stroll in at any time.