- Text Size +
Back at NCIS Ziva and McGee informed director Vance. Gibbs sat at Tony’s desk just staring at his belongings. This killed him inside, he wanted Tony to be there not lying down in autopsy. Abby sat in her lab crying, how was she supposed to live without Tony? He was like the big brother she always wanted now he’d been taken from her. McGee and Ziva walked from the director’s office, tears staining both their faces. Who was going to make fun of them when they did something wrong or stupid? Who was going to play practical jokes on them every day?

The team organised the funeral. The day of the wake Gibbs sat at his desk for hours before the others arrived and when they did they had to physically take him to the car, he felt dead himself. He didn’t shed a tear the whole day. The words that people thought were comforting just made him realize that Tony was actually gone. For a few weeks Gibbs was like a zombie, he was paler than normal. He said Tim instead of McGee. He started giving Ziva kisses on the cheeks like he did to Abby. He gave Abby more hugs and kisses. He sat with Ducky and Jimmy for long periods of time in silence.

A month passed and he was no better then one day he packed his desk up. Everybody walked to the bullpen and stared wide eyed.

“Gibbs?” Abby asked with tears in her eyes.

“McGee, Ziva, you can fight over team leader, Vance will have some new recruits for you tomorrow,” Gibbs said as he picked up the box, he walked to Abby and kissed her cheek which was covered in tears.

“Take care Ducky, you to Jimmy,” he smiled as he left. Everybody stood there in silence.

“Where are you going?” Abby yelled.

“Mexico,” he said as the elevator doors closed.

A week later Gibbs was relaxing on the front porch of his Mexican house, it wasn’t far from Mike Franks where he’d stayed during his hiatus. He opened his eyes quickly, someone was here, he still trusted his gut. He circled the house once but nobody was there.

“Hello?” he yelled out. He shook his head and sat back down. He closed his eyes and smiled, he pictured Tony smiling, and he desperately wanted him to be here. Firm arms wrapped around his shoulders and he struggled to get free, when he did he thought he was going to die. He picked up a plank of wood that sitting astray on the porch.

“I don’t appreciate sick jokes like this,” he growled.

“Jethro, this isn’t a joke,”

“Get away,” Gibbs growled. This Tony impersonation didn’t move. Gibbs threw the wood at him, hitting his head, blood trickling down his face but he didn’t fall to the ground.

“How can I prove it? I love you Jethro,”

“Show me your back,” Gibbs demanded. The impersonator removed his shirt and turned around. Gibbs moved closer then looked. There on his right shoulder blade was a small star shaped mark. Gibbs stumbled back.

“It’s really me,”

“Tony,” Gibbs whispered as he took a step back towards him.

“Jethro,” Tony said.

“What... How... You...” Gibbs didn’t know what to say.