- Text Size +
Lovers' Secrets
Chapter #4

Five years later

Kate stood over the bathroom sink, letting the tears fall. They had to fall now, because there would be no time later. She took a deep breath and turned on the water, watching the blood run off her hands and down the drain. What had she done with her life? All her scruples, morals, gone, and for what? She looked in the mirror. For the reason to keep running, for the opportunity to get better at running, and for the way the danger made her feel. She washed the sink, and left the room, passing the dead man’s bedroom as she did. She smiled grimly. At least she was sanctioned. She rounded a turn in the hall and nearly ran into a tall, exotic young woman. Both women moved into defensive positions, but relaxed as they recognized each other.
“Ziva, you scared me.” Kate relaxed, running a hand through her hair. “Did Jenny send you?”
“Yes. She wanted to make sure this one didn’t get away.”
“I’d say so. Neither of us has ever failed and she sends us both. Any new orders?”
“Gas explosion, not a house fire.”
“She really wants this clean.” Kate replied, surprised. “Well, I hope you’ve got the supplies for that, because I wasn’t planning on it. Gas explosions are risky.”
“I’ve got it.” Ziva set her backpack on the floor and pulled out some explosives. As she was working, she and Kate chatted. “How have you been Cat?”
Kate sighed. “Oh, pretty good. I’m considering taking a vacation. I could really use one.”
“Where would you go? We travel enough as it is.”
“I think I’d like to go visit family.” Replied Kate thoughtfully.
Ziva was surprised. “I didn’t know you had any living family members.”
“Yes, I have a daughter. She’ll be five now I think. Time flies by, doesn’t it? What’re things like at NCIS? Is Agent Gibbs still being an ass about your assignment?”
“No, he seems to have gotten over it. I still can’t seem to measure up to Agent Todd though.”
Kate shifted her weight uncomfortably, but Ziva didn’t seem to notice. She finished her work and placed the bomb. “Let’s go.” The two women left quickly, and a few minutes later, the house was engulfed in flames.


Kate lay curled up asleep on the couch, the book she’d been reading lay on the floor near her hand. A loud knock on the door startled her awake. “Come in!” she called, pushing herself into a seated position. Ziva and Tony stepped through the front door.
“NCIS Special Agent DiNozzo, and Officer Davíd. We’d like to speak to you Mrs. Harris.”
Kate looked up in surprise. “Oh. Um, can I get you anything? Coffee? Tea?”
“No thanks. We were hoping you could answer some questions about your neighbor, Petty Officer Wilkes.”
“Of course, is he in trouble?”
“Not yet. How long has he lived in the area?”
“Longer than I have. He was very nice when I first moved in. Invited me over for coffee and introduced me to some friends.” Looking at the woman on the couch, Tony wasn’t surprised that Wilkes had been friendly. Catherine Harris was gorgeous, and probably knew it.
“Did he introduce you to a Petty Officer Smith?” asked Ziva.
“Once. They were good friends, but I never really saw him Officer Smith much after the first time.” Kate ran a hand through her hair. “Did something happen to him?”
“No, he’s fine. Thank you for your time. Have a nice day.” Replied Tony. He and Ziva left. They got into their car and drove back to NCIS headquarters. “She’s hiding something. Her answers were to slow.” Declared Tony, turning left.
Ziva laughed. “We probably woke her up Tony, of course her answers were slow.”
“All the same, the boss is probably going to want to talk to her. Besides, she’s a red-head.”
“What’s that got to do with anything?” demanded Ziva.
“Gibbs likes red-heads.” Said Tony, pulling into a parking space and getting out.
Ziva shook her head. “That doesn’t mean anything. I’m going to go talk to Abby. Give Gibbs our report.” Tony took the elevator to the squad room and sat down at his desk just as Gibbs walked in.
“The neighbor says she doesn’t know anything, but I think she’s hiding something Boss.” He said. Gibbs looked at him, waiting. “When we went to Petty Officer Smith’s house after, there was a picture of her in his living room. She said she’d only met him once.”
Gibbs nodded. “I’ll talk to her. See what you can find out about her.” He left.
“Yes!” said Tony. “I knew he would want to talk to her. Pay up.” He said to Ziva who had just stepped in. She sighed and handed him five dollars.
“You’re insufferable.”


Kate got dressed, trying to pick clothes that would make her look as different from Kate Todd as possible. This was not good. Finally she picked an outfit that would hopefully keep people from noticing her face; low rise jeans and a top that show cased her chest and midriff. She swept her blood red hair, which had grown to her bottom in the last five years, into a high ponytail and slipped a jeweled pin over the rubber band just as her doorbell rang. She hurried to the front door and pulled it open. “Yes?”
Gibbs showed his badge and ID. “Special Agent Gibbs and McGee, NCIS. We’d like to ask you a few questions.”
Kate assumed a confused expression. “Agent DiNozzo and Officer Davíd already talked to me.” She said.
“I’m afraid we’re going to need to talk to you anyway, maam.” Said McGee.
Kate nodded and turned away from the doorway, revealing an elaborate tramp stamp* in the curve of her low back. McGee stared at it for a moment before composing himself. The two men followed her into the living room and she gestured for them to sit down. “Can I get you two some coffee?” she asked, already heading for the kitchen. McGee declined, but Gibbs accepted, and she poured two cup of black coffee. She’d developed a taste for it as a reminder of her past. She came back out and handed Gibbs one of the cups, sitting down across from him with the other. “I must have said something really bad this morning to get another interview.” She said, smiling. “What was it?”
*(tramp stamp- a tattoo placed where it would only be seen in certain situations, i.e. backless dresses, low jeans, nudity, etc. Specifically on the low-low back across the tailbone, where you could potentially see part of it when someone bent over.)
“That you’d only met Petty Officer Smith once.” Replied Gibbs, trying to figure out why she looked familiar. “There was a picture of you at his house.” He handed her the photo.
Kate was honestly surprised. “I didn’t give him this. And I’m sure I met Andrew more than once, but in passing. We had a lot of the same friends, so we went to a lot of the same parties.”
“Could one of them have given him that picture?” asked McGee.
Kate frowned. “I don’t know. I don’t actually remember it, although I do remember the event. This was when I went to the beach with a bunch of friends and friends of friends last summer.” She handed the print back to Gibbs. “I don’t know how he got it.”
“Are you sure you don’t remember who took the photo?” asked Gibbs.
Kate shook her head. “I don’t know.”
“Well, we’ll be in touch.” Said Gibbs, standing up. “Thank you for the coffee.” He and McGee left. Kate sighed, relieved. This was really not good. They’d be looking up her history and Gibbs would figure it out.
“Damnit.” She cursed aloud. She walked out to the driveway and got into her car. She drove out to the woods near her house. She parked her car and stepped out, breathing in the smell of the trees. She followed the familiar paths to her favorite spot and rock-hopped to the middle of a creek, sitting on the small island in the center. She leaned back on her elbows, tipping her up to the sun.
“Rough day?” called Ziva from the bank.
Kate sighed. “well, it would have been really awkward if you guys had managed to ask the right questions, yeah.” She replied, eyes still closed.
“That’s unfortunate.” Said Gibbs.
Kate’s eyes flew open and her head whipped around. “You followed me?” she demanded. Ziva nodded. “Shit. I thought I was better than that.” She frowned. “So go ahead, ask the right questions.”
“Don’t need to.” Replied Gibbs. “I already know the part you play in this. The Director briefed me.”
“Then why are you here, Agent Gibbs?” asked Kate wearily, closing her eyes again.
“Just wanted to see if you’d join me for lunch.” Replied Gibbs casually.
Kate’s peeked through her lashes at the bank. Ziva was gone. “Probably not the best idea.” She said.
“Too bad. How about I stay here then?” his voice was closer now, and Kate knew he was making his way across the rocks.
“Your choice.” She replied.
“I’ll stay then. Interesting place for a government assassin to spend time.”
Kate snorted. “I should’ve known you’d think of it like that. My work hardly indicates my personality. Unlike you.”
“And what do you know about my personality?”
Kate lay all the way down on the grass, resting her head on her hands. “You’re the strong and silent type, you like helping people, very trustworthy, very loyal. You’re a good person who doesn’t get threatening unless someone you love has been threatened first, you’ve got what most people would consider a strange sense of humor, and people are intimidated by you until they get to know you better, if they’re lucky. Sound about right? Oh, and you’re a bastard.”
“That about covers it.” Replied Gibbs. “You’re not so hard to read yourself, you know.”
“I’ll bet. Give it a go.”
“Smart, sensitive, analytical, serious, and giving.”
“That is incredibly vague and could be any of a dozen people I know.” Laughed Kate.
“You can’t be right every time.”
“I think we can add arrogant to your list. Why are you here?”
“I wanted to talk to someone objectively. You seem a safe bet.”
“Great. Now I’m a killer and a shrink.”
“There’s a difference?”
“Whatever. Just talk.”
“What do you do when you’ve given up the most important thing in your life without realizing it?”
“Learn to live with it, I suppose.” Kate replied. “Sometimes that’s all you can do. But if you get the opportunity to get fix your mistake, jump at it.”
“I was hoping you’d have a better answer.” Sighed Gibbs.
“Sorry. There isn’t one. Life just sucks that way.”


She’d gone to dinner with him. The first date they’d never had. And it had been a date; that much Kate knew for sure. Kate unlocked her door and collapsed on her couch. ‘What the hell were you thinking?’ demanded her brain. She knew the answer. She was taking her own advice. The chance had come for her to have what she’d given up. She was giving herself the chance to make it work. If she and Gibbs could make this work without all of the things that had stood in their way before, maybe she could tell him. She reached for the book she’d been reading the night before and started laughing, near hysteria. It was Persuasion, by Jane Austen. The story of two people who had fallen in love and then parted ways, thinking that it wasn’t the right time to be in love and when they met years later, it was too late for them to make it work. “Of course.” She muttered, stuffing the book under the cushions. She hid her face in her hands. She wanted this so much, so much it hurt. She would make this work, she had to.