- Text Size +
Lovers' Secrets
Chapter #6

Jenny sighed, leaning back in her chair. “Special Agent Katelyn Todd.” The words felt strange on her tongue. She rubbed her eyebrows. “Jethro is going to kill me.”
Kate looked at her curiously. “Not many people call him that. Why do you?”
“We worked together for a number of years in Paris.” Replied Jenny not looking up. She let her hand fall onto the table top. “You need to talk to him.”
Kate’s eyes were wild. “I tried! I couldn’t make myself say it.”
Jenny pursed her lips. She reached into her pocket and pulled out a pair of handcuffs. She took Kate’s wrist and snapped the bracelet closed, attaching the other half to her own wrist. “I’m calling him, and you’re going to talk to him.” She removed her phone from her purse and dialed. “Jethro, Moonstruck café. Now.” She paused as he spoke. “I don’t care if you’re busy. You’ll be here in the next ten minutes.” She snapped the phone shut and looked back at Kate, who was covering her face in her hands. Jen sighed again and dug through her purse, pulling out a brush. “Turn around, Ca…Kate.” Kate turned a little so her back was to Jen. Jenny started brushing out her friend’s long ponytail and eventually, Kate began to relax. “It’ll be fine.” Said Jen calmly. “He’s been very worried about you, you know. I’m sure he never meant to upset you.” Just then, Gibbs walked through the front door. When he saw his boss and his girlfriend sitting together, his face clouded. He strode over to the table and sat down across the table. He glanced at Kate’s hidden face, concerned.
“Are you okay, Cat?” he asked. When she didn’t answer, he turned to Jenny. “Is she okay?”
“She’s fine, just a little upset.” Jenny unlocked herself from the handcuffs and handed them to Gibbs. “I’m going to give you two some privacy.” As she left, Gibbs turned back to Kate.
“I don’t get it.” He said. “Why did you leave? I thought you’d like the idea.”
Kate looked up, biting her lip. “I do, it’s just…oh god.” She looked away. “It’s just really hard to tell you this. You’re going to be so upset.”
“Try me.”
Kate took a deep breath. “I shouldn’t have left you the way I did. It wasn’t fair to you, to Lizzie, to the team, not even to me.”
“What are you talking about? Nobody even knows about this yet.” Gibbs laughed.
Kate looked up at him sadly. “But they know about when I left five years ago.” She replied softly. Gibbs stared at her, piecing together all the information.
“You…Kate?” his voice was incredulous.
Kate nodded. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you earlier, I just couldn’t figure out the right time.”
“It’s okay.” Gibbs replied, sounding a little distant.
It wasn’t okay. His face displayed too much pain for it to be okay. This was what her leaving had caused? This suffering and uncertainty? Kate’s resolve grew stronger. She wouldn’t cause this type of damage again. She reached out and touched his hand. “I never meant to hurt anyone, Jethro. Especially not you. Can you forgive me?”
As she watched his face, his expression cleared. “I understand why you did it. Just promise me that you won’t pull any more stunts like that.”
Kate smiled, relieved. “I promise.” She raised her wrist hesitantly. “Would you mind unlocking me?”
Gibbs eyes sparkled. “I’m not completely sure you’re not going to run away again, so I think maybe I won’t.” Kate’s jaw dropped. “I think you could survive a day in handcuffs.” He teased. “You make other people wear them all the time.”
“Criminals, Gibbs!” Kate protested.
He leaned across the table, giving her the Gibbs stare, the one no one had ever withstood. “Do you want to spend some time in Interrogation? I’m sure I could arrange that if you’d prefer.”
Kate glared at him. “Bastard.”
He laughed. “But I’m yours.” He replied, standing up and taking her hand. He led her back out to the car. “Time to come home, Kate.”
She smiled and closed her eyes. “Thank god.”