- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The two had seperate assignments
~ Washington DC ~

Kate followed Gibbs down the narrow ship hallways. She had always felt it was claustrophobic when she was alive, it was amazing how more enclosed it felt now that she was dead.

Today wasn't going to be a good day. She wasn't happy they had split her and Speed up, and was equally unhappy about the assignment they gave him. What were they thinking, to send the Angel that's madly in love with Horatio to bring across the woman he married? She hoped her partner was alright. He was happy that Horatio had found someone, but she knew it hurt also.

His own fears had led him down a dark path. A hard past that had scarred him for life. Falling so hard for the redhead, then too afraid of rejection. Slowly slipping into a darkness no one recognized. Hell, if Tony had gone down that dark path she hoped to God she would have noticed, but none of Speed's 'supposed' friends did. Until one day - it all came to an end.

Speed later told me had totally forgotten about his gun. He didn't even think about cleaning it. It was obvious to her that Speed had issues with guns and violence - part of her itched to get into Horatio Caine's face. Some boss. If Gibbs knew there was an issue with cleanliness of guns he would have drilled them until they could clean them in their sleep.

She listened as the two men talked quietly. Suddenly Gibbs turned and looked her way. His eyes narrowed, focusing on her. Kate moved quickly, blocking him from the worst of the blast.

She could feel the heat of the blast on her back as she protected the ex-Marine from the main force of the blast.

'Kate?'

'It's not your time, Gibbs.'

Kate watched as Tony fought with his emotions, wanting to be with his lover but knowing he had to take care of the case. She eased up next to him, her voice soft in his ear. "I got Gibbs' back. You find out who did this."

He turned and smiled right at her. "Thank you."

"Who are you talking to?" Ziva asked eyebrow raised.

"Gibbs' guardian angel; he sure as hell had one tonight." Tony moved towards the naval ship, confident that Gibbs would be watched over by someone he trusted.

~ Miami ~

Speed wondered what did he do to piss off the head Angel. To bring Marisol Caine across was cruel and unusual punishment. Hmm. Maybe all this time he'd actually been in hell. He could hear Horatio shutting down, his voice cold and hard with no emotions. He looked over at the lovely woman next to him. She was very much a Delko. The same dark hair and eyes, beautiful olive skin.

"I'm surprised they sent you." She looked over at the scruffy angel.

"Well irony is a bitch ain't it." Speed smirked. "What? Hoping for your great grandmother from the old country? - she's skiing with Elvis."

"It's got to hurt, knowing he loved me and not you." Marisol looked over at Horatio, who was talking with Eric as the two prepared to hunt down her killers.

Speed turned and just stared at her. "All I ever wanted for Horatio was for him to be happy. You made him happy, and I won't begrudge you or him that. But get off your high horse and welcome to the afterlife. It doesn't matter who he loved more, he's hurting and that's what your concern should be, not rubbing my face in the fact you played the victim to the hilt to get his attention."

Marisol eyes narrowed. "Well, aren't we self righteous, Mister I didn't clean my gun."

Speed bit back a retort. "Let's go."

"But..." She looked back at Horatio.

"There's nothing you can do," he said. He pulled her away from the scene and the two disappeared.

~ Washington DC ~

Gibbs looked around he knew something wasn't right but he couldn't figure it out. He kept seeing flashes almost like mirages of Sharon and Kelly, his unit, but something was missing.

"Hello Gibbs."

Jethro turned around and stared at the young woman standing in front of him. She was wearing light pants, blue shirt, and a Kevlar vest. "Kate?"

"It's good to see you, though not in these circumstances." Kate smiled at him.

"What's going on?" He asked confused.

"You're in a coma, what you're seeing is flashes of your life." She gestured around him as scenes and images flashed about.

"I remember you, but how come the rest of this is so..." Jethro glanced around.

Kate smiled at him. "I'm here as a guide, once you wake up this will be a fleeting memory or feeling."

"I miss you," his voice full of emotion. "Tony..." He stopped not sure who Tony was or why he brought him up.

"It's okay Gibbs," the once Special Agent took his hand and the two walked across the desert sands. "Let's just take a walk and in time you'll feel like heading back."

"So how's the afterlife?" Jethro smiled.

Kate shrugged. "Not too bad, my partner and I work on special cases. So far we're doing pretty good, but it's hard sometimes."

"Some you can't save?" The ex-Marine asked.

"You can't save them all," she stopped and looked at the older man. "I just wanted to say one thing. Thank you."

Gibbs reached out but suddenly everything began to blur around him, images coming fast and hard. He could hear his name being called. He blinked and looked up. His mind was chaotic with images and wandering thoughts. The dark haired girl fading from view and memory. He looked around nothing looked familiar.

"Jethro..."

Gibbs blinked and looked at the doctor, him he knew. "Where am I?"

"Do you know me?" Doctor Todd Gefland asked.

Gibbs shook his head. "You I know." He pointed to the older gentleman. "Him I don't."

~ Miami ~

"One comment out of you and I'll make sure you are stuck on sand counting detail." Speed glared at the young woman.

Marisol flipped her hair back and moved up the walkway to her grave. "It hurts to see him this way."

"By the way, as a cancer patient how the hell did you keep your hair?" Speed asked.

She glared at him. "Were you always this snarky?"

"Yeah." He shrugged.

She looked back as Horatio moved further into the cemetery. "That could explain why Horatio never....Where is he going?"

Speed followed the redhead up the walkway. He knew exactly where Horatio was going. He had never visited his grave site; it was too painful for him to face the hard reality of his own stupidity.

He stopped at the top of the hill stunned. There were flowers planted in front of his marker. He watched as Horatio knelt down on his knees, cleaning up the dead leaves and petals. He heard Marisol gasp behind, but was too focused on the man in front of him.

"Hey Speed." Horatio laid his hands on his knees. "I'm sorry I haven't been around, but it's been a rough week."

"Oh God..." Speed crumbled to the ground tears in his eyes.

He felt soft hands around his shoulders. "It's okay, I'm here now."

He looked up to see Kate. "You're supposed..."

"You need me now." She looked over the scene playing out in front of them.

"It's a bit awkward for me to ask, but could you watch out for Marisol?" The redhead took off his sunglasses and set them down on the headstone. "She's a good woman, and I loved her..."

Marisol smiled as she made a step forward.

"But nothing compared to what I felt...feel for you." Horatio took a deep breath. "No matter how many times I come here or say it, it's never enough. I'm sorry Speed...God I'm so sorry. If I had only asked. If I had just got past my own fears and reached out to you. You would be here by my side where you belong not..." He wiped away the tears. "Nothing has been right since we lost you, since I lost you. I'm floundering I can't seem to find my way; I'm so lost without you. The lab has never recovered. Ryan and Eric fight all the time, Calleigh has just seemed to have lost that spirit. And I know Alexx misses you terribly. Not one of us realized how much you brought to our lives...and we failed you miserably."

Speed stood up and moved up to the older man. "Horatio..."

Horatio's back stiffened; he quickly looked around the cemetery. "I'm going to Brazil. I may not have loved her like I do you, but I did care deeply for her and she didn't deserve to die because she loved me." He stood up and slipped on his glasses. "I will always love you, and will forever be sorry..."

"I love you, too." Speed whispered his hand caressing over the red hair. "Be at peace H, I made the mistake not you..."

Horatio closed his eyes a sense of calm coming over him. "One day..."

"I'll be waiting..."

Marisol wiped the tears from her eyes turned and walked away. She now understood, she may have had the joy of being held by Horatio Caine and loved by him, but she never had a chance for his heart. That had and always would belong to one Timothy Speedle.

~ Washington DC ~

"Ziva I want you at the back door, to back me up." Tony said into his mike as he moved through the house.

"We've got the last of the suspects in custody." Ziva snapped.

Tony sighed. "Then who the hell am I chasing through the house?"

"A ghost."

The new team leader eased around the corner and then through the small kitchen leading to the backyard. Jethro had been retired two weeks ago, and Tony's life has gone to hell. Ziva always countered or questioned anything he did, and if that wasn't bad enough spied to the director. Jen Sheppard was another thing entirely. She questioned everything he did, even what tie he had on in the morning. McGee stood by him and treated him with the same respect he had treated Gibbs.

And that was just the professional life. His personal life was worse than hell. Jethro didn't remember their relationship. He handed Tony his badge and gun and never looked back. For the first time since Kate died, Tony had cried himself to sleep.

As the agent eased himself into the backyard he turned the corner and came face to face with Kate. His eyebrows furrowed in confusion, then he looked past her and a slow realization hit him. Everything was in slow motion. He pulled up his gun and fired, knowing full well that this was it. The impact hurt like hell and slammed him into the ground. He heard voices screaming his name. He tried to call out but the warm liquid in his mouth prevented him. Kate kneeled next to him and took his hand, her brown eyes never leaving his soft hazel.

'I'm here...'

"TONY!"

Tony looked over at the young man, "McGee..."

"Shh don't talk." McGee pulled off his coat and tried to stop the bleeding. "Ambulance is on his way."

The agent smiled at him. "Its okay Probie, Kate's here."

McGee froze. "NO! Don't you leave too..."

"Abby..." Tony coughed, blood dripping out of his mouth. "Take care of ... Abby."

~*~

The cell phone shattered at the impact. Jethro sank to his knees, tears streaming down his face. It took losing him to remember him. Tony. His lover. Gone.

"Okay this whole dead thing sucks!" Tony growled at the two Angels as he watched Jethro break down.

"Learn to live with it." Speed eyed him.

Tony mocked him and looked at Kate. "You know Gibbs he's ..." He turned back to the grieving man.

"This is why we have a plan." Kate patted Tony's arm. "About now a certain Goth lab rat is going to call and inform him..."

"He just shattered his phone." The new Angel pointed out.

The house phone rang; Jethro ignored it letting it go to the answering machine. "Pick up the phone Gibbs. I got info and I need you to hunt the bastard down and take his head off for taking Tony."

Gibbs grabbed the phone. "Abby?"

"The bastard is associated with a mob down in Brazil; they call themselves the Mala Noche." Abby's voice was hard. "There's a CSI from Miami already down there, Horatio Caine. Meet him in Rio by tomorrow. He said you're welcome to hunt with him."

"And his beef with them?" Jethro asked as he walked into the bedroom grabbing his gun.

"They killed his wife." The lab tech informed him.

"I'm on my way." Jethro hung up and headed for the door. "Kate if you can hear me - take care of Tony - you know how he is...Tony..."

"I'll be waiting." Tony whispered.

~ Rio ~

Two men met.

Two men plotted and made alliances.

Both grieving for ones they've loved and lost.

Two men hunted.

~ The End ~
~ For Now ~
Chapter End Notes:
Spoilers for Season Finales - Crossover with CSI: Miami *WARNING* Characer Death