- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
as before
Nothing But Trouble

“Show me a way to belong to the present by reaching into the past” - Nick Bantock

Jen Shepard made her way through the lessening crowd in time to see Kate Todd storm in from the garden with a slightly drunken Jethro Gibbs hot on her tail and grab her by the elbow, leading her over to a quieter corner.
From where she was, and the noise around her, Jen couldn’t quite make out what they were discussing, but from their actions she could tell it wasn’t pleasant, and knew she was involved somehow from the way Kate continually looked in her direction.
Ignoring the disputing couple and scanning the room, Jen caught sight of her assistant Katja and the younger guy they’d both been eyeing up from the bar earlier. If she’d had any of the confidence she did when she was younger, Jen would’ve been first off the bat and straight in there, but Katja was younger and far more willing to flirt with anything with a pulse; that wasn’t Jen anymore.
She’d make it a point to say that Jethro Gibbs had ruined her for any other man out there.
He’d been on her mind quite a lot since they’d met again all those weeks ago, and she was starting to realise she regretted the way things had ended between them. Maybe he’d been her last chance at a happily ever after, even if he was still a stranger to her.
Once again, Jethro caught her attention, and Jen watched as Kate headed over toward Katja and her quest with more than anger in her eyes; in the few minutes she’d spent with Kate that day back in April, she noticed Kate expressed everything with her eyes when she couldn’t allow her emotions on her face. A trait picked up from Gibbs, which was hardly surprising, if she were to believe the rumors she’d heard since she’d been at Morrow’s.
At least if they were talking about Kate and Jethro, they weren’t talking about her.
***
It was time to go.
She’d had enough of Jethro and more than enough champagne to last a life time; she had to get out of there before she said or done something she would severely regret. Kate’s only hope was that in the morning, she could go to work and forget about the scene she and Jethro had almost caused, which she knew hadn’t gone unnoticed by Jen. The woman had eyes like a hawk.
With the room beginning to swim and the effects of the alcohol seriously kicking in, Kate made her way over to the corner Tony had found himself trapped in with a flirtatious brunette, and a sudden feeling in her stomach hit her and started spreading outwards. She quickly established the feeling as jealousy, something she’d never felt before in any of her prior relationships, but she wasn‘t about to let it get to her.
But when the brunette put her hand on Tony’s chest, Kate felt the claws come out.
The thing about Kate was that she had never been a violent person, having always preferred to lash out with her tongue instead, and she couldn‘t quite work out why she was suddenly visualising herself having a catfight with this girl, who couldn’t honestly be more than twelve, who had her paws all over her man.
There had been one occasion in high school, however, but Poppy Jones had it coming to her and had provoked Kate in the first place, so it was really her own fault. Even if it had meant Kate getting suspended for a week or two.
All high school bitchery and fighting aside, the second she was close enough and was able to see Tony was about to freak out, Kate put a protective and possessive hand on his chest, effectively pushing the child away.
“Hi, baby. Who’s your friend?”
Tony had to bite his tongue at Kate’s use of the word “baby”; she rarely called him anything but his name unless she wanted something or was tired and it just happened to slip out. And the sickly sweet manner in which she had said it, told him she knew exactly what the girl in front of them was up to.
“Katie, this is Katja. Katja, this is my girlfriend, Kate.”
“I work with Jen Shepard in Paris.”
“That’s nice.”
Kate gave Katja the once over, smirked slightly and turned her attention to Tony, who had slowly been tracing the outline of her tattoo before he began tapping a rhythm on her hip with his fingertips; he wanted to get far away from this girl before Kate jumped her and clawed her eyes out. Not that he was against seeing a bit of girl on girl, especially if the winner was his girl.
“Honey, it’s getting late and we both have an early start tomorrow.”
Tony looked into Kate’s eyes and noted she was just as eager to get away, but also that there was rage and desire dancing in her pupils. Oh yeah, she wanted to get away all right, and Tony knew she just wanted to stamp her mark on him as a reminder of who really had their claws in him.
He couldn’t wait.
“Katja, it was nice meeting you, but I‘m afraid we have to go. Say goodbye, Tony”
“Goodbye, Tony.”
Tony gave Katja his best “what can I say, she’s possessive” smile as Kate led him away, leaving the girl alone in the emptying room. She watched them as they walked away; Tony leaning down to whisper something in Kate’s ear and her hand creeping under his suit jacket to caress his back at the same time as Tony’s hand came down from her hip to grab her ass. Katja merely sighed, and looked around for another potential guy. Some women had all the luck and she figured Kate to be the luckiest she’d met so far.
With that thought in mind, Katja turned back towards the bar to get another drink, and to also chat up the bartender who wasn’t all that bad looking. If she had another drink or two that is. He’d been trying lines on her all evening she’d been standing at the bar with Jen, and the only thing he got out of her was her name and she got his name, Charlie, in return.
Few more drinks in her system, Charlie might just be in luck.
***
“They make a good couple.”
Jethro snorted into his glass and finished the remainder of his bourbon; it was just like Jen to sneak up on him unaware and share her thoughts, whether he wanted them or not. She was one of the few in his life who could get past his defences and try to make him see sense. This time he wouldn’t let that happen since he didn’t entirely trust the guy Kate was with.
“If you say so.”
Jen came up by his side, handing him a glass of water. His erratic behaviour earlier obviously had to do with his alcohol intake and she wanted him to start clearing his head if there was to be any form of coherent conversation with him.
“Stop being jealous, Jethro; it’s not a good look on you.”
“It has nothing to do with jealousy, Jen, I just don’t get what she sees in him.”
“The same could be said about you and I. People don’t know what I see in you either.”
He caught her mistake, she was talking as if they were still together and maybe they should have been. It’d save a lot of heartache on everyone’s side.
“Kate believes I should still be with you. That I should give up any chance of being with her when it’s quite obvious I’m still attracted to you. Maybe she’s right.”
“Maybe she is.”
***
Kate had led him away from the main room and down the hall to what she assumed was the sitting room. It was quiet and tastefully decorated; to Tom’s standard of living at least. She had always known him to be an extravagant and elegant man, but sometimes there was only so much of that elegance she could take.
Her wish of being alone with Tony had been partially granted now, and Kate threw herself down none too gently on the overstuffed armchair and sunk into the cushions. She’d been on her feet too long in heels that weren’t exactly comfortable.
Tony came round in front of her and sat down on the edge of the low coffee table by the chair, placing his hands on her knees to balance himself. He was exhausted, which was unusual for him, since he was used to partying till the wee small hours of the morning and the time was only two in the morning.
“You know, I bet there’s a lot of empty rooms in this place just waiting for someone to use them.”
Kate leaned forward to unfasten her devilishly high heels and Tony’s hands pushed the material of her skirt further up her legs until his fingertips were just touching her upper thigh. She wouldn’t deny the sudden urge she felt to find a private room somewhere so they could truly be alone; the slightest touch from him cast her senses astray. He was the bad boy to her good girl image and he caused nothing but trouble in her life, but he also made her come alive in a way she’d never felt before too. He was worth every bit.
“Wanna go exploring, Tony?”
“As long as there’s a lockable door wherever we go, then yeah.”